HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: My off season game plan for the Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1147573)

DougGilmour93 03-28-2012 05:35 PM

My off season game plan for the Leafs
 
Seven moves to help steer the Leafs in the right direction.

1)
To Vancouver: Clarke MacArthur + Luke Schenn + 2nd in 2012

To Toronto: Mason Raymond + Cory Schneider

2)
To Los Angeles: 1st in 2012 (currently 5th overall) + Joey Crabb

To Toronto: Dustin Brown

3)
To San Jose: Nazem Kadri/Joe Colborne + Colby Armstrong + Cody Franson

To Toronto: Joe Pavelski

4) Sign UFA Justin Schultz

5) Sign UFA Travis Moen

6) Buy-out Tim Connolly

7) Waive Matthew Lombardi


2012-2013 Line-up

Lupul - Pavelski - Kessel
D.Brown - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - Bozak - Raymond
M.Brown - Steckel - Moen

(Ex F= Kadri/Colborne)

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Schultz
Komisarek - Liles

(Ex D= Holzer/Blaker

Schneider
Reimer



Constructive criticism welcome :)

SLAPSHOT723 03-28-2012 05:42 PM

1) Leafs should add something else. Maybe Tyler Biggs?

2) Can't see Los Angeles wanting to trade Brown. I would think they'd trade Williams first.

3) SJ fans have constantly said that Pavelski is the least of their problems in San Jose and he isn't available. Believe me, I've tried in my trade proposals for him. Even so, that's not a great package for him.

4) I'm not so sure Schultz will sign in Toronto, especially if they keep Franson. If you don't want him, Islanders will happily take him :D

5-7) Nothing wrong with those.

EDIT: Post 11,111. Nice.

Phion Keneuf 03-28-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 (Post 46877809)
Seven moves to help steer the Leafs in the right direction.

1)
To Vancouver: Clarke MacArthur + Luke Schenn + 2nd in 2012

To Toronto: Mason Raymond + Cory Schneider

2)
To Los Angeles: 1st in 2012 (currently 5th overall) + Joey Crabb

To Toronto: Dustin Brown


3)
To San Jose: Nazem Kadri/Joe Colborne + Colby Armstrong + Cody Franson

To Toronto: Joe Pavelski

4) Sign UFA Justin Schultz

5) Sign UFA Travis Moen

6) Buy-out Tim Connolly

7) Waive Matthew Lombardi


2012-2013 Line-up

Lupul - Pavelski - Kessel
D.Brown - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - Bozak - Raymond
M.Brown - Steckel - Moen

(Ex F= Kadri/Colborne)

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Schultz
Komisarek - Liles

(Ex D= Holzer/Blaker

Schneider
Reimer



Constructive criticism welcome :)

yikes ... that deal is brutal ... top 5 pick for Brown ... no thanks

the rest are alright i guess, i'd do them ... not sure if other teams would though

no need for Raymond on the 3rd line ... i'd flip him for a 3rd line hitter

Campoli2Burrows 03-28-2012 05:49 PM

2, 4, and 5 are the only ones I could see happening. Canucks would politely decline the first deal as we have no need for any of those three pieces and could find much better quality in a deal elsewhere.

SIDGENO8771 03-28-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 (Post 46877809)
Seven moves to help steer the Leafs in the right direction.

1)
To Vancouver: Clarke MacArthur + Luke Schenn + 2nd in 2012

To Toronto: Mason Raymond + Cory Schneider

2)
To Los Angeles: 1st in 2012 (currently 5th overall) + Joey Crabb

To Toronto: Dustin Brown

3)
To San Jose: Nazem Kadri/Joe Colborne + Colby Armstrong + Cody Franson

To Toronto: Joe Pavelski

4) Sign UFA Justin Schultz

5) Sign UFA Travis Moen

6) Buy-out Tim Connolly

7) Waive Matthew Lombardi


2012-2013 Line-up

Lupul - Pavelski - Kessel
D.Brown - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - Bozak - Raymond
M.Brown - Steckel - Moen

(Ex F= Kadri/Colborne)

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Schultz
Komisarek - Liles

(Ex D= Holzer/Blaker

Schneider
Reimer



Constructive criticism welcome :)


Glad you arent our GM.(1,2,6)

1. Schenn for Schneider is good value. Schenn may not be performing right now but under a different coach he will be better. We dont need to add MacArthur + 2nd for Raymond.

2. I wouldnt trade our 2012 1st for Brown straight up. We could draft an impact player- either Yakupov,Grigorenko, Dumba,Murray,Galchenyuk or Forsberg. Crabb is a good complimentary player.

3.I would do this in a heartbeat but SJS wouldn't.

4. I agree that this will happen.

5.Seems like a good move. I'd be ok, bring some sandpaper.

6.Someone will trade for Connolly. It will be a small return but someone will give something because he is a UFA. If Chicago doesnt hace a #2 centre at the deadline, Connolly could be a cheap stop gap.

7.I agree this should happen.

Loso 03-28-2012 05:58 PM

1. Vancouver likely says no.
2. No chance we're giving up a top 5 pick for Brown, and why would they want Crabb? Also LA is not rebuilding.
3. SJ says no, plus I'd rather take the chance that Kadri or Colborne becomes like Pavelski and keep Franson.
4. If possible sure.
5. Definitely a fan of that.
6. No point turning Connolly's contract into 2 years, he could have a bounce back next year. He's obviously a better player than Steckel, Armstrong, Crabb etc. There will be a lineup spot for him.
7. Possibly but I just don't see it happening. We'd have to be desperate for cap space. If we don't need the space, there are not 11 forwards better than Lombardi on this team, so he stays.

As a whole, your team is good but not significantly better than our current roster. Brown, Pavelski, etc are not the type of talent we're absolutely desperate for, they are not franchise forwards, which we may be able to get with our lottery pick.

DougGilmour93 03-28-2012 05:58 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

Feel free to tweek my proposals to make them a little more feasible.

Campoli2Burrows 03-28-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loso (Post 46878663)
1. Vancouver likely says no.
2. No chance we're giving up a top 5 pick for Brown, and why would they want Crabb? Also LA is not rebuilding.
3. SJ says no, plus I'd rather take the chance that Kadri or Colborne becomes like Pavelski and keep Franson.
4. If possible sure.
5. Definitely a fan of that.
6. No point turning Connolly's contract into 2 years, he could have a bounce back next year. He's obviously a better player than Steckel, Armstrong, Crabb etc. There will be a lineup spot for him.
7. Possibly but I just don't see it happening. We'd have to be desperate for cap space. If we don't need the space, there are not 11 forwards better than Lombardi on this team, so he stays.

As a whole, your team is good but not significantly better than our current roster. Brown, Pavelski, etc are not the type of talent we're absolutely desperate for, they are not franchise forwards, which we may be able to get with our lottery pick.

Agreed on every point except 3. If you can make that deal then you have to make that deal.

TheJuxtaposer 03-28-2012 06:02 PM

Pavelski to the Leafs has been discussed ad nauseam, and there really isn't anything that the two sides would be able to agree on as being fair.

Ricky Bobby 03-28-2012 06:06 PM

1. Bring Sundin out of retirement

2. Bring back Cujo

3. Have Roberts provide inspirational speeches

4. Have Burke wear a paper bag well watching games from his box

5. Take up drinking after I realize this team is still in a lot of trouble next year

TieClark 03-28-2012 06:07 PM

Do not touch that 1st unless you're moving up in the draft or acquiring a legitimate superstar. Don't like the first trade either... far too much to give up for an unproven goaltender.

Pinchy 03-28-2012 06:10 PM

3rd-7th overall for Dustin Brown?

No thanks. This is how we got into this mess. Brown is worth a late first, not a lottery pick.

Timbo Slice 03-28-2012 06:11 PM

You overpay for Dustin Brown, and way underpay in your deal for Pavelski.

NFITO 03-28-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 46878791)
Pavelski to the Leafs has been discussed ad nauseam, and there really isn't anything that the two sides would be able to agree on as being fair.

You could same thing about Schneider and the Canucks. As a Canuck fan I'd decline that deal, and going over the many Schneider/Toronto discussions, it's again a situation where there really isn't anything the two sides would agree on to be fair.

My guess is the same is true for Brown and the Kings.

Nizdizzle 03-28-2012 06:17 PM

Although I applaud the attempt, if Burke made moves like this he would be absolutely torn apart for cutting corners, trading draft picks and not rebuilding the traditional way. Our 1st can't be moved, we need to try and get that top end potential of a top-5 pick, we really lack that and Brown, IMO isn't that (although I think Toronto also needs a Brown-type player). I still don't think Schneider is the god that Vancouver fans make him out to be. On Toronto I doubt he does much better than the rest of our carousel of goaltenders. SJ won't move Pavelski either.

Brent Burns 03-28-2012 06:19 PM

Could we get a list of teams that DO make good trade partners with? That list is probably super short.

There is nothing the TML have that the Sharks want unless it's high picks

Also, that Pavelski deal is brutal

Leafs03 03-28-2012 06:25 PM

why are leafs fans keep throwing our picks away and than *****ing and complaing that we dont draft and ****.

IceDaddy 03-28-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafs03 (Post 46879741)
why are leafs fans keep throwing our picks away and than *****ing and complaing that we dont draft and ****.


Well that would be because the OP is a quick fix kind of guy and has no patience. He cant see the bigger picture.

DougGilmour93 03-28-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsRock (Post 46880857)
Well that would be because the OP is a quick fix kind of guy and has no patience. He cant see the bigger picture.

I should have been more clear. The basis of my proposals was the notion that Burke would be building this way to save his own butt. And in his defense, all the assets I suggested to trade for are young and have many years ahead of them. Kinda similar to his Phil Kessel trade. Trading teen youth (unproven picks) for proven early twenty somethings.

In defense of my own proposals...

1)
I agree that Vancouver might necessarily want thos particular assets (there is really no way of knowing either way) but value wise I thought it was on. IMO we slightly overpaid as Schenn has been somewhat stagnate and Schneider has had a great year, but still not a proven #1. Mac has more value than Raymond and we also threw in a 2nd in a deep draft.

2)
If I had it my way we'd trade up and draft Grigorenko, but I doubt that happens based on Burkes track record. I can almost guarentee that that pick will be dealt for immediate help. Dustin Brown offers a plethora of intagibles and is exactly what Burke would love to have. A big bruising, young, American, power forward with leadership written all over him.

3)
As for the 3rd deal I admit that I wasn't sure on the value. Pavelski himself has not had a memorable year (stat wise) and if SJ fails to make the playoffs (which I have no idea if that happens) I can see them "blowing things" up and making some personel moves. They've had the same core for quite some time. I also figured Thornton and Marleau were mainstays and Couture made Pavelski somewhat expendable. Again, Pavelski is American, something I'm sure Burke values. As for Kadri, he's definetely had his issues not making the big club, but at times looks brilliant and appears more than ready to make a name for himself. Franson, is a D man that really has played better than alot of people thought. He can shoot, hit, play responsible in his own end, and he can only get better.

DJENTLEMAN 03-28-2012 09:53 PM

Did you consider these deals from the opposing team's side of things (cap situation, prospects, needs, overall team situation etc)?

JoeLH 03-28-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo Slice (Post 46879165)
You overpay for Dustin Brown, and way underpay in your deal for Pavelski.

Brown for a 1st? Well, depends on the 1st rounder. Not sure if the Kings would bite. LA can sign Crabb on July 1st if they want him.

Phion Keneuf 03-28-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeLH (Post 46895325)
Brown for a 1st? Well, depends on the 1st rounder. Not sure if the Kings would bite. LA can sign Crabb on July 1st if they want him.

that 1st is top 5 ...

superrich 03-28-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 (Post 46885817)
I should have been more clear. The basis of my proposals was the notion that Burke would be building this way to save his own butt. And in his defense, all the assets I suggested to trade for are young and have many years ahead of them. Kinda similar to his Phil Kessel trade. Trading teen youth (unproven picks) for proven early twenty somethings.

In defense of my own proposals...

1)
I agree that Vancouver might necessarily want thos particular assets (there is really no way of knowing either way) but value wise I thought it was on. IMO we slightly overpaid as Schenn has been somewhat stagnate and Schneider has had a great year, but still not a proven #1. Mac has more value than Raymond and we also threw in a 2nd in a deep draft.

2)
If I had it my way we'd trade up and draft Grigorenko, but I doubt that happens based on Burkes track record. I can almost guarentee that that pick will be dealt for immediate help. Dustin Brown offers a plethora of intagibles and is exactly what Burke would love to have. A big bruising, young, American, power forward with leadership written all over him.

3)
As for the 3rd deal I admit that I wasn't sure on the value. Pavelski himself has not had a memorable year (stat wise) and if SJ fails to make the playoffs (which I have no idea if that happens) I can see them "blowing things" up and making some personel moves. They've had the same core for quite some time. I also figured Thornton and Marleau were mainstays and Couture made Pavelski somewhat expendable. Again, Pavelski is American, something I'm sure Burke values. As for Kadri, he's definetely had his issues not making the big club, but at times looks brilliant and appears more than ready to make a name for himself. Franson, is a D man that really has played better than alot of people thought. He can shoot, hit, play responsible in his own end, and he can only get better.



1. It may be close value wise from Vancouver's perspective, but not from Toronto's. Schenn is a long-term building block for the Leafs, and as bad as he has looked this year, he is capable of playing much better than he has. Schenn will play much better under Carlyle's system. It would be a mistake to trade a 5th overall defenseman who is still as young as he is, especially when his value is low. Also, MacArthur for Raymond is pretty much a sideways move.

2. Brown is the type of player that the Leafs really want, but there is no way they are trading their #1 pick this year after giving Boston 2 great picks the last 2 years. This could be Burke's chance to draft a potential #1 center.

3. Pavelski is too important to the Sharks to trade away. Especially for pieces that do not help the Sharks now or in the near future. There isn't much from the Leafs that would interest San Jose at the expense of Pavelski.

The Podium 03-28-2012 10:46 PM

1. Van doesn't do
2. Leafs dont do
3. SJS dont do
4. Yes
5. sure why not
6. He's a UFA at years end, why keep him on the books for more then necessary if we can just let him walk next offseason?
7. Probably can deal him to somewhere like Phoenix instead

caley 03-28-2012 10:54 PM

Oh man, you guys don't wanna know what my offseason game plan for the Leafs was when I decided to run a season for them on my X-Box.

Let's just say outgoing were Dion Phaneuf, Cody Franson, Clarke MacArthur, Luke Schenn, Mike Komisarek, Jay Rosehill, Colton Orr, Mikhail Grabovski, Carl Gunnarsson, Jonas Gustavsson, James Reimer and incoming were Marian Gaborik, Nik Antropov, Bobby Ryan, Paul Gaustad, Matt Greene, Michael Bournival and a $9 milllion dollar a year Ryan Suter. Also, my goaltending tandem was Ray Emery and Cristobal Huet. I might actually have made the Leafs worse! Next thing you know I'll be doing irritated TV interviews with my tie untied and writing hate mail to Don Cherry!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.