HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Frederic St-Denis (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1147579)

Andy 03-28-2012 05:46 PM

Frederic St-Denis

They just had a good piece on him on CTV.

What Wilde said was bang "Why is he disrespected? Because he lacks size"

I think disrespected is too strong a word, I think overlooked is a better word to use.

I'm with Wilde with this one. St.Denis has looked good in pretty much every game he's been called up in.

Share your thoughts on his game and his future.

Sad that fans can't see past size and appreciate the finer things in a player's game. It's getting tiring that when evaluating a player that the first thing we look at is height.

ThaDevilGirl 03-28-2012 05:55 PM

I like how he's not afraid to pinch and help the forwards in the attacking zone. Defensively he's okay, he does look undersized, kinda like Gorges circa when the Habs acquired him.

katatoniak 03-28-2012 05:58 PM

Like him ... rarely does a mistake

Crimson Skorpion 03-28-2012 06:13 PM

I like him and would take him over Campoli, Kaberle and Weber at this point.

Disrespected? I don't think so. As it's been mentioned, overlooked is the more appropriate term to use. Benoit Brunet brought it up during last night's game too, during the first intermission. He named Diaz and Campoli as guys the Habs valued over St-Denis and they were wrong for doing. I'd have to disagree with Diaz, who was one of the best defensemen coming out of Switzerland and was used in all situations when he was healthy.

Ice Poutine 03-28-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 46879251)
I like him and would take him over Campoli, Kaberle and Weber at this point....

I would replace these guys with an orange trafic cone and the results would be better so St-Denis is definitely better than them!

Harry Wong 03-28-2012 06:19 PM

I have really liked him and have rarely seen him make a bad play. He seems to be getting more confident as you might expect with more experience. Problem is we have a number of smaller talented defensemen and really could use a bit of size and toughness to bring out the best in these guys. Question is, where does he fit on the depth chart? This is probably what management is trying to figure out with him and a few other guys.

Et le But 03-28-2012 06:25 PM

The biggest problem is he doesn't have any "go to skills" to give him a place over half our other undersized defenders. As of this point I'd be very interested to see him back next year on the NHL team but we need more size and physical players back there, and so depending if we can get rid of Kaberle, he will probably be competing with Diaz for the 6th spot. Campoli is a goner and I'm not sure keeping Weber is smart, I think he will be a lot better with age than some think but he's a liability right now.

Bad Natey 03-28-2012 06:28 PM

I can't remember him making more than a handful of bad plays. Defensively, he reminds me of Gorges when we first got him. Offensively, I think he's a guy who can chip in 25-30 points per season offensively over 82-games.

He makes smart pinches, he's got a good first pass, he's great positionally, and most importantly - he knows how to get his shot on net.

Really looking forward to seeing what he brings to camp next year. Hopefully he makes it impossible for management to send him down.

FlyingKostitsyn 03-28-2012 06:33 PM

I'd much rather have him as a 7th defensemen next season than Weber.

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Kaberle-Diaz
St-Denis

Weber is traded. Nash is the first callup in case of injuries unless Beaulieu turns out to be a machine.

EmelinHipCheck 03-28-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 46878197)
Sad that fans can't see past size and appreciate the finer things in a player's game. It's getting tiring that when evaluating a player that the first thing we look at is height.

I don't know what fans you're talking about, but true fans couldn't give a rat's ass about a player's physical features as long as he does the job.

Habsterix* 03-28-2012 10:13 PM

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Habs give a local product a chance and see how he fits in. So far so good.

TheBuriedHab 03-28-2012 10:19 PM

I'm on the bandwagon. Like this guy.

Hackett 03-28-2012 11:47 PM

I like him. He does not have any skill that really "wows" you, but he's got pretty good instincts, and I would not mind having him around in a 3rd pairing/depth role.

Gabe84 03-28-2012 11:50 PM

I really like this type of defenseman. Not extremely skilled offensively, but he has hockey sense and knows when to pinch in. His passes are good, his shot is good... Nothing spectacular, but not bad either.

I know many might not agree with me but when it comes to defense, my philosophy is not to have the biggest guys, nor super offensively-minded guys, but to have a solid crew that doesn't make mistakes and that aren't offensive black holes like Gill or Komisarek.

I like the Gorges comparisons. If he can block shots, sacrifice his body, have the same "do everything you can" kind of mentality as Gorges in the long run, I'd be more than happy. He has battled very hard to get where he is, like Gorges, so I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the same type of defenseman.

I don't want to sound too excited though. The guy is an AHL call-up that had a few good games. Doesn't mean he'll become anything good. I wish him good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Nicko999 03-28-2012 11:58 PM

I hope we bring him as a 7th D-man next season.

LeMAD 03-29-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn (Post 46880205)
I'd much rather have him as a 7th defensemen next season than Weber.

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Kaberle-Diaz
St-Denis

Weber is traded. Nash is the first callup in case of injuries unless Beaulieu turns out to be a machine.

Yuck. Another lottery pick...

How about:

Gorges-Subban
Markov-good dman
Diaz-decent dman
Kaberle-Emelin-St-Denis

montreal 03-29-2012 08:51 AM

St-Denis is has been great in Hamilton, i've been saying that he was their best D down there but his lack of size of course is a concern at the NHL level. So far he seems to have handled himself well enough, look forward to seeing if he can make it as a 7th or 8th D for us next year. Smart, hard working and solid at both ends of the ice but his lack of strength will cause him problems in the crease and along the wall.

If not though we will gladly take him back in Hamilton next year, I think he would be a great partner for Beaulieu.

Tim Wallach 03-29-2012 08:54 AM

Just to play devil's advocate to those who say he rarely makes mistakes - he did cost us the Ottawa (2-1) loss as he was directly responsible for both goals. And he has made a couple big gaffes since and has been undressed at least a couple times.

Having said that, I definitely like what he brings. He works hard, has some skill and is generally very solid and smart. I'm not sure we have room though long-term.

montreal 03-29-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Wallach (Post 46912121)
Having said that, I definitely like what he brings. He works hard, has some skill and is generally very solid and smart. I'm not sure we have room though long-term.

The good thing about him though is that they don't need him long term since they have a bunch of interesting D prospects in the system with most of them turning pro in the next 2 years. For now he's cheap depth insurance, if it doesn't work out for him with the Habs, he's a great guy to have on the farm especially when you consider all the incoming rookie D we have slated for next season.

Tim Wallach 03-29-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 46912217)
The good thing about him though is that they don't need him long term since they have a bunch of interesting D prospects in the system with most of them turning pro in the next 2 years. For now he's cheap depth insurance, if it doesn't work out for him with the Habs, he's a great guy to have on the farm especially when you consider all the incoming rookie D we have slated for next season.

True. So with that said, my question is, who would you rather have: Him, Weber or Diaz? All similar size and similar skill sets and even similar age. But you can't have more than one or two of that list.

For me, it's Diaz first. Toss-up on the other two, but leaning towards St-Denis to start.

417 03-29-2012 10:00 AM

He's been good in his recent callup...however earlier in the year when he played extensively, he wore down after a few games.

I think he'd be a good depth dman, in a 6/7 role...I don't think he's much better than that, and that's fine.

But I don't agree the Habs have 'disrespected' him...it's only normal the team gives priority to it's drafted players.

montreal 03-29-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Wallach (Post 46914507)
True. So with that said, my question is, who would you rather have: Him, Weber or Diaz? All similar size and similar skill sets and even similar age. But you can't have more than one or two of that list.

For me, it's Diaz first. Toss-up on the other two, but leaning towards St-Denis to start.

What concerns me most about the Habs is the defense next year. I don't care for Weber at all despite him being able to put some points on the board so I'd take St-Denis over him personally.

I'd like to see the lineup where Diaz is the 7th D and St-Denis the 8th D with Weber and Kabs somehow gone. With Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, we would need to find 2 quality defensemen though and that could be very tough to do.

Joe Cole 03-29-2012 10:10 AM

I think he has been pretty good in limited action. Better than Weber, Campoli and Kaberle (at least defensively)..... but that is not saying much.

But how RDS and JdeM have already anointed him already on the 2012-13 team is shameful.

If he makes the Habs a more than a 7th D, then the Habs are a 30th place team once again next season

Blind Gardien 03-29-2012 10:41 AM

I know I want Markov, Subban, and Gorges in our top-4 next season.

And I know I want Diaz and Emelin on the team.

I know I'd like to be able to throw the money at getting another really rock-solid top-4 guy.

St-Denis has seemed perfectly fine to me. He has some weaknesses but I agree that he has looked at least as good as Kaberle, Campoli, or Weber. That's not necessarily saying much... I actually think St-Denis has looked better than them, but I don't want to overstate things too much based on the relatively limited opportunity he has had.

Anyway, if I'm filling the #7/8 spots given a default top-6 of Markov-Emelin/Gorges-Subban/UFA-Diaz, then I'd MUCH rather fill it with cheap young guys (who might still have a bit of untapped upside) like St-Denis and Weber than older guys who are no better like Campoli and Kaberle. It yields more money to spend on better quality UFAs.

overlords 03-29-2012 10:44 AM

Love the guy, but only for what he is. A fringe NHL player. If he finds his way into a permanent job in our D-core next year, we're in trouble.