HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Playing with bruised ribs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1147995)

OprtnShtdwn 03-29-2012 06:26 AM

Playing with bruised ribs

Last Friday, during the 3rd Period of my game, I was carrying the puck by the right circle. I had the defenseman beat on the play and was able to get a good shot on goal. The defenseman in an effort to knock the puck away from me, dove to try and poke check the puck away.

Well, after my shot, he's momentum took himself into me and i ended up being "low bridged" basically flying over top of his body onto the ice. When I hit the ice, I ended up landing directly ontop of the blade of a stick into my rib cage. Basically, i was impaled by the stick in a sense.

Well, the next day I still had a big soreness in my ribs from the blow. So the doctors did X-rays and didn't find anything broken in there, diagnosing me with a rib contusion (bruised ribs). I'm on medication to reduce the swelling currently.

Now this brings me to my question for anyone whose had this injury before. I have 2 games Saturday night. In the first one, i'm the goalie and right after i'm skating out at center. I'd like to play these games, so does anyone have any suggestions on anything I can do to possibly put over the ribs, or something. Also, How long did it take anyone whose had this injury to get completely over and did you play at all with this injury?

Thanks to everyone who responds or even reads this in advance.

Lonny Bohonos 03-29-2012 06:33 AM

I have but a long time ago. I have also had cracked/broken/torn cartledge.

From my experience ribs take a notoriously long time to heal because everything you do involves your core.

The last one I had a few years back took at least 2 months for the pain to be gone. I spent the first week taking 2-3 minutes just to get out of bed.

Moving, lying down, sneezing, coughing etc all hurt.

Id say there isn't much you can do but maybe wrap a tensor bandage around your body at the height the pain is at.

Of course ice rest etc.

OprtnShtdwn 03-29-2012 06:53 AM

I was thinking of maybe trying to get a hold of a football rib vest, and wear that underneith the equipment. I'm just not sure for which it'll be more uncomfortable, playing goalie or skating out.

I know i'm going to be bumped on the ice so i'll have pain either way while playing. However, I do have the advantage that i'm helping a beginner class at 9:30 Saturday morning so i'll be able to see how hard and what all i'm capable to do in a morning skate situation.

As far as icing, my doctor actually told me on Saturday to just ice it until Wednesday, and then start to apply heat to the area. I'm hoping that means i'm at a good pace for recovery.

It's just weird because yesteday, it didn't bother me as much when I went to sleep, yet all day today (i work overnight), it really bothered me late into my shift.

Lonny Bohonos 03-29-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OprtnShtdwn (Post 46909165)
I was thinking of maybe trying to get a hold of a football rib vest, and wear that underneith the equipment. I'm just not sure for which it'll be more uncomfortable, playing goalie or skating out.

I know i'm going to be bumped on the ice so i'll have pain either way while playing. However, I do have the advantage that i'm helping a beginner class at 9:30 Saturday morning so i'll be able to see how hard and what all i'm capable to do in a morning skate situation.

As far as icing, my doctor actually told me on Saturday to just ice it until Wednesday, and then start to apply heat to the area. I'm hoping that means i'm at a good pace for recovery.

It's just weird because yesteday, it didn't bother me as much when I went to sleep, yet all day today (i work overnight), it really bothered me late into my shift.

I think the intention by icing then heat is that the initial icing reducing swelling and inflammation but after a certain period of time the cold effects on the soft tissue are more "harmful" than helpful.

The heat helps loosen the soft tissue and muscles.

I'd say skating would be the safer option simply because you won't be twisting falling etc like playing goal.

Maybe the very would help but reall I find it's the type of injury that not much works simply because it's your core which is used in everything and it's "unstable" in that it flexes etc (breathing moving etc). Even with a padded vest if you get bumped the ribs will flex. If that makes sense.

izzy3 03-29-2012 07:56 AM

A year ago I got checked into the boards and somehow the knob of my stick rammed right into my ribs. Same as yours, they were bruised. It was about 6 weeks until I was able to play without much pain. The good thing is, even though it hurts, it is still OK to play, I had no issues apart from the distruction. You also might become a little contact-shy, cause it feels real bad if you have impact on it.

ChiTownHawks 03-29-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy3 (Post 46909705)
A year ago I got checked into the boards and somehow the knob of my stick rammed right into my ribs. Same as yours, they were bruised. It was about 6 weeks until I was able to play without much pain. The good thing is, even though it hurts, it is still OK to play, I had no issues apart from the distruction. You also might become a little contact-shy, cause it feels real bad if you have impact on it.

I agree with this. I bruised mine at the start of last season in nearly the same fashion as you did (got tripped by a guy and landed on with my elbow pad right in the ribs. It is an extremely annoying injury but I did not miss one game. I would say I was back to normal"ish" in about a month, but full recovery was probably closer to 2 months. As long as there are no fractures in the rib I don't think you really risk further injury, but playing on it will probably extend the healing time a little.

vapor11 03-29-2012 10:26 AM

Think of what is best for your team..nobody wants to sit out..only you will know if you are ready..If you are not going to be mobile and able to make the saves find a replacement

ironranger 03-29-2012 11:32 AM

As was kinda said above the icing is to reduce swelling, the heat expands your blood vessels to allow more blood to help the area heal faster.

If you can deal with the pain then I would say play as you already went to the doctor so you know it isn't something more serious like an enlarged or ruptured spleen / kidney

Barnzy02 03-29-2012 01:08 PM

I bruised my ribs playing roller a couple years ago.

I played the rest of our season wearing lacrosse rib pads to protect myself from further injury, it was more annoying than painful and just left me a little winded as i wasn't able to take full deep breaths.

Ilrider 03-29-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OprtnShtdwn (Post 46908995)
Last Friday, during the 3rd Period of my game, I was carrying the puck by the right circle. I had the defenseman beat on the play and was able to get a good shot on goal. The defenseman in an effort to knock the puck away from me, dove to try and poke check the puck away.

Well, after my shot, he's momentum took himself into me and i ended up being "low bridged" basically flying over top of his body onto the ice. When I hit the ice, I ended up landing directly ontop of the blade of a stick into my rib cage. Basically, i was impaled by the stick in a sense.

Well, the next day I still had a big soreness in my ribs from the blow. So the doctors did X-rays and didn't find anything broken in there, diagnosing me with a rib contusion (bruised ribs). I'm on medication to reduce the swelling currently.

Now this brings me to my question for anyone whose had this injury before. I have 2 games Saturday night. In the first one, i'm the goalie and right after i'm skating out at center. I'd like to play these games, so does anyone have any suggestions on anything I can do to possibly put over the ribs, or something. Also, How long did it take anyone whose had this injury to get completely over and did you play at all with this injury?

Thanks to everyone who responds or even reads this in advance.

Bruised ribs are the worst because you probably injured the intercostal muscles, and those keep hurting for weeks. I fell in the bathroom and hit my ribs on the bathtub two months back, and with no break detected on x-rays, it took a good 6 weeks to totally heal.

I just bruised my ribs again playing hockey Monday night when I hit bad ice and fell on my chest without supporting my fall.

Only you can decide if you can play, but rest is the best thing for this annoying injury. I would not wrap the ribs or anything, which can actually cause more harm than good. Antiimflammatories and pain meds are your best options to help in healing. Be conservative in returning to play.

OprtnShtdwn 04-02-2012 06:15 AM

Thanks everybody for the insight on this. I ended up playing both games on Saturday. In goal, it didn't really bother me too much at all. I wore a rib vest underneith my chest protector just in case.

After when I skated out, i decided to try and go without the rib vest. On my first shift i was bumped out on the ice and i literally couldn't breathe at all from the hit. I went into the locker room and threw the vest on and from that point on, I was able to breathe and play with really no restrictions at all. I just needed pressure on my ribs so that I couldn't fully expand my lungs.

I even took an mid ice hit which didn't effect me as much as I thought it would because of wearing the protection. So overall, everything was a success.