HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Is there a real chance Quick can WIN the Vezina? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1148351)

MollerManor 03-29-2012 01:02 PM

Is there a real chance Quick can WIN the Vezina?

So as the season winds down to the last remaining games, I think it is clear to everyone that Quick should get a nomination for the Vezina. But my question is, what is his real chance of actually winning it? It seemed like Lundqvist was the front runner for the first 75% of the season, but it looks like Quick is just about to overtake all of his numbers (already has with the exception of save %). All east coast bias aside, do the likes of Halak, Schneider, and Elliot compare to Quicks numbers when he has, on average, played 30 more games, 600+ more saves, and 1300+ minutes more of ice time then any of them?

I am not doubting any of these goalies skills, I am just trying to see how it translates come nomination and award ceremony time.

:dunno:

RonSwanson* 03-29-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollerManor (Post 46924257)
So as the season winds down to the last remaining games, I think it is clear to everyone that Quick should get a nomination for the Vezina. But my question is, what is his real chance of actually winning it? It seemed like Lundqvist was the front runner for the first 75% of the season, but it looks like Quick is just about to overtake all of his numbers (already has with the exception of save %). All east coast bias aside, do the likes of Halak, Schneider, and Elliot compare to Quicks numbers when he has, on average, played 30 more games, 600+ more saves, and 1300+ minutes more of ice time then any of them?

I am not doubting any of these goalies skills, I am just trying to see how it translates come nomination and award ceremony time.

:dunno:

I think Elliott should be in the discussion also.

Quick has played in 7 more games than Lundqvist. If the season were to end today, and they had identical stats (which they basically have at the moment), I think a case can be made that Quick achieved and maintained those stellar stats over a distinctly higher number of games.

MollerManor 03-29-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonSwanson (Post 46924491)
I think Elliott should be in the discussion also.

Quick has played in 7 more games than Lundqvist. If the season were to end today, and they had identical stats (which they basically have at the moment), I think a case can be made that Quick achieved and maintained those stellar stats over a distinctly higher number of games.

Going to the league leaders page it is all Elliott. But does that translate when Quick has played almost 30 games more than him?

onlyalad 03-29-2012 01:18 PM

Does he play in the East?
Did he do well in the playoff last year? I know that is not suppose to count but that is the last thing many voters have seen

Seventyx7 03-29-2012 01:18 PM

Love Quick and he deserves all the accolades, credit, and hardware possible.

However, I hope he waits until after signing a fair extension to start winning Harts and Vezinas. Doughty being a Norris finalist really boned us come contract time.

Live in the Now 03-29-2012 01:20 PM

I'm not singling anyone in particular out, this is more of a comment based on weeks of seeing this.

We have a guy good enough to win an award (how many of THOSE have we had), instead people are saying he shouldn't for extension reasons.

WHAT? He may never get another chance and we never get to see anyone on this team win **** unless they don't play for this team anymore. Come on now.

MollerManor 03-29-2012 01:25 PM

Who is the last player on the kings to win a trophy based on talent and skill and not sportsmanship and community service (or injury recovery)?

Live in the Now 03-29-2012 01:28 PM

Rob Blake. That alone is reason enough to want Quick to win, so that Blake isn't the answer any longer.

KINGS17 03-29-2012 01:28 PM

It's going to be all Lundqvist, and you guys should already know that.

Duc620 03-29-2012 01:32 PM

Hard for the east coasters to even see Quick play an entire game... they mostly see stats and highlights. He's getting a lot of solid press tho and anything can happen!

Seventyx7 03-29-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live in the Now (Post 46925071)
I'm not singling anyone in particular out, this is more of a comment based on weeks of seeing this.

We have a guy good enough to win an award (how many of THOSE have we had), instead people are saying he shouldn't for extension reasons.

WHAT? He may never get another chance and we never get to see anyone on this team win **** unless they don't play for this team anymore. Come on now.

You're right. He deserves it and I want him to win everything possible. Just looking at how the DD situation worked out, and how excited I was just for him to be nominated scares me. I just don't want to lose Quick and contract demands for a Vezina winner increase the likelihood of that happening.

MollerManor 03-29-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGS17 (Post 46925535)
It's going to be all Lundqvist, and you guys should already know that.

why.

johnjm22 03-29-2012 01:50 PM

Its a virtual toss up right now. They're neck and neck. Henrik might get the edge though because he's been better for longer (it shouldn't matter, but it often does).

Didn't Crosby and Ovechkin split the Calder? Could it happen with the Vezina? It's becoming that close IMO.

TwoForRoughing 03-29-2012 01:55 PM

Lundqvist deserves it since his team is first in the East, but Quick should get a close second.

Muzzinga 03-29-2012 01:58 PM

right now its a toss up between Quick and Lundqvist, so Hank would win if the season ended today due to east coast bias

I imagine Elliot finishes 3rd in voting

Whiskeypete 03-29-2012 02:03 PM

i hope he wins it. the guy deserves it, but i won't be surprised if lundquist gets the hardware for obvious reasons. elliott deserves to be considered, but only considered. i think when you factor in JQ and HL playing from just under to twice as many games and having comparable numbers, then Elliott shouldn't be a factor. i also think JQ deserves consideration for the Hart as MVP

ScoreZeGoals 03-29-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo (Post 46926755)
Lundqvist deserves it since his team is first in the East, but Quick should get a close second.

His team is first in the east in part because they have scored 213 goals, 35 more than the Kings. Give the Kings 35 more goals and they are challenging for first in the west

lumbergh 03-29-2012 02:15 PM

If the Kings don't make the playoffs, Quick won't win either the Hart or the Vezina. If they do make the playoffs, Quick is still the underdog to Lundqvist, but there's a real shot. There's no realistic way Quick wins the Hart, IMO.

Vic Vinegar 03-29-2012 02:29 PM

I'd say his chances of winning are pretty low at this point. Tie goes to the established player (who happens to play in the East).

Brad Doty 03-29-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals (Post 46927319)
His team is first in the east in part because they have scored 213 goals, 35 more than the Kings. Give the Kings 35 more goals and they are challenging for first in the league

FTFY :nod:

I think it's very even, but most of the arguments going for Lundqvist are "just because," which is annoying.

Reaper45 03-29-2012 03:12 PM

To me it comes down to what happens if you were to remove Quick and Lundqvist from the Kings and Rangers? I think the Rangers would still be good. The Kings would be a doormat.

HansH 03-29-2012 03:28 PM

Addressing the OP's question (is there a real chance)...

I don't think so. No matter what the logical arguments are (and there are many that have been expressed in this thread), I just don't think the combination of the Kings struggling to make the playoffs AND the fact that Quick isn't actually leading in any of the league-wide stats categories (other than tied for shutouts) AND the much-denied but still-extant East Coast bias will allow enough of the voters to actually vote for a King for the Vezina.

Fair? No. But it's my read on the situation.

Butch 19 03-29-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DimMak187 (Post 46928469)
I'd say his chances of winning are pretty low at this point. Tie goes to the established player (who happens to play in the East).

If Quick finishes out the year by going 5-0-0 with 0.90 GA, he'll win in a landslide.

It COULD happen. :banana:

RonSwanson* 03-29-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seventyx7 (Post 46924997)
Love Quick and he deserves all the accolades, credit, and hardware possible.

However, I hope he waits until after signing a fair extension to start winning Harts and Vezinas. Doughty being a Norris finalist really boned us come contract time.

I honestly don't think a Vezina nomination will bump Quick's demands at all. He knows, Dean knows, and we all know how good he his - with or without a Vezina nomination/trophy.

Quick is going to ask to be the highest paid goalie in the league either way.

Seventyx7 03-29-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonSwanson (Post 46932185)
I honestly don't think a Vezina nomination will bump Quick's demands at all. He knows, Dean knows, and we all know how good he his - with or without a Vezina nomination/trophy.

Quick is going to ask to be the highest paid goalie in the league either way.

Probably true.