HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Star: Feschuk: Dion Phaneuf has a lot to learn about being a captain (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1149669)

YearsintheWilderness 03-30-2012 07:51 PM

Feschuk: Dion Phaneuf has a lot to learn about being a captain

Phaneuf hammered in this column:

Quote:

The former players asked not to be named because Phaneuf is seen as a golden boy by Brian Burke, the Leafs president and general manager, who despite his team’s epic free-fall through the standings remains an influential figure in NHL circles. Criticizing the captain is a no-go around Burke. And sure enough, as another Leafs season ends in a wreck, one of Burke’s assistants, Dave Nonis, has been making the media rounds this week defending Phaneuf’s acumen as a leader of men.
Dion Phaneuf has a lot to learn about being a captain

Rare Jewel 03-30-2012 07:54 PM

I absolutely love how angry and bitter Feschuk is from the dirtbag comments.

:laugh:

Baba Ganoush 03-30-2012 07:58 PM

not much to argue there. this team is a mess.

blasted_Sabre 03-30-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rare Jewel (Post 47006769)

Even if they win the Cup he'll find something to ***** about.

Leaf Rocket 03-30-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

im confused where is this from?

Also what the hell is wrong with this dude lol

Joseppi 03-30-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Perhaps it hasn’t helped that Phaneuf, who wasn’t made available to the media after Thursday’s loss or Friday’s practice, has, when he has spoken in public, chosen to spread the blame around the room.

While Mike Komisarek, one of the team’s assistant captains, was grimly falling on his sword on Friday — “I need to be better,” Komisarek said more than once in an interview
Just wanted to point that out for those who won't read the link. Pretty important part of the article

blasted_Sabre 03-30-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket (Post 47007375)
im confused where is this from?

Also what the hell is wrong with this dude lol

Hes the reporter who called Reimer's mom when he was out his concussion.

Leaf Rocket 03-30-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre (Post 47007587)
Hes the reported who called Reimer's mom when he was out his concussion.

okay yea he is a dirtbag for doing that. i didn't like him at all for that wtf.

Schenn 03-30-2012 08:08 PM

He sseems like such a negative guy.

Leaf Rocket 03-30-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schenn (Post 47007841)
He sseems like such a negative guy.

he is the anti-seigel.

egd27 03-30-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

I caught Off the Record for about 10 minutes the other night and Feschuk was a guest. He commented on about four topics not related to the leafs, and every answer was negative and sarcastic. Seems like a bit of a pompous ass.

ChesapeakeRipper 03-30-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egd27 (Post 47007929)
I caught Off the Record for about 10 minutes the other night and Feschuk was a guest. He commented on about four topics not related to the leafs, and every answer was negative and sarcastic. Seems like a bit of a pompous ass.

whether he's a pompous ass or not, feshuk is right about what he wrote. phaneuf has the right tools to be captain but isn't using them correctly. being a captain isn't just about on-ice responsibilities, includes off-ice as well and the fact that he missed out on that sundin event is definitely un-captain like. especially for a storied franchise like the leafs. i love phaneuf, but he has a lot to learn if he wants to be a great well-rounded captain.

Volcanologist 03-30-2012 08:24 PM

Feschuk's hilarious. I think he publishes an anti-Leaf column every day now.

sampollock 03-30-2012 08:26 PM

Panuff seems is overrated ask Calgary

go_leafs_go02 03-30-2012 08:30 PM

I'm starting to think that the Leafs shouldn't be a team relying heavy on the draft.

What's wrong with 2-3 30+ year old NHL veterans who can mentor this team? Honestly, the pressure here is nothing that Phaneuf, Kessel, anyone besides Burkie have dealt with.

Really, imagine what Darcy Tucker, Gary Roberts, could do to this team in terms of mentorship. There is NO one meant for the mentoring role.

Perhaps in a market like Tampa Bay or Anaheim you can have a go with a young inexperienced team, but a team like Toronto should always rely on somewhat of a veteran presence to help young players get accustomed to a media market and a fanbase like Toronto.

Seguin wouldn't be doing any better than Kadri under Leaf management and pressure had we not had Kessel in the lineup.

darty 03-30-2012 08:34 PM

Honestly, at the start of the season I don't think I'd ever heard of Feschuk and now his name comes up once a week. He's playing the villian quite well for achieving pageviews and people talking about him. Still a d-bag though ;)

binop7 03-30-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseppi (Post 47007475)
Just wanted to point that out for those who won't read the link. Pretty important part of the article

Komi owned up to it and he's a vet of the league. Why can't Phaneuf? Phaneuf screams to me that he has a massive sense of entitlement. Realistically he's a good #2D, and he shouldn't be playing 26mins a night.

Suntouchable13 03-30-2012 08:37 PM

I remember when Wilson called him the best d-man in the NHL early in the season, it has been all down hill from there as far as his overall game is concerned.

UsernameWasTaken 03-30-2012 08:42 PM

I didn't know he didn't show up at any of the fetes for Sundin. Geez...:facepalm:

mooseOAK* 03-30-2012 08:45 PM

The National Enquirer called, they want their idea back.

mooseOAK* 03-30-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseppi (Post 47007475)

Komisarek has a lot to apologize for. Who did Phaneuf publicly criticize?

For a Leaf fan you sure love criticizing them every chance you get.

Rare Jewel 03-30-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RememberTwice (Post 47008961)
whether he's a pompous ass or not, feshuk is right about what he wrote. phaneuf has the right tools to be captain but isn't using them correctly. being a captain isn't just about on-ice responsibilities, includes off-ice as well and the fact that he missed out on that sundin event is definitely un-captain like. especially for a storied franchise like the leafs. i love phaneuf, but he has a lot to learn if he wants to be a great well-rounded captain.

How is Phaneuf alone going to change the fortune of the team now?

Is he suppose to strap the pads on and make saves?

Is he suppose to score all the goals?

Articles like this are such BS cause they make it out to seem the captain should have some magic power where at the drop of a hat he can change the mentality of a team or make some the people around him more talented.

Is Dion a perfect player? No.

Is Dion an ideal captain? Maybe not.

But he's had absolutely no help in the matter of leadership with this team.

Cause A - The two assistants Armstrong and Komisarek have been so poor this year they have been healthy scratches most nights.

And B - No veteran or mentor was brought in to help him along(Like Roberts was for Mats). When Tim Connolly is your most seasoned player there's probably going to be an issue with leadership.

Those issues lay at the feet of one man, The Manger.

So people(media and some fans) need to stop blaming the lack of talent of about 10-12 of the other players on Dion's leadership.

KuleminFan41 03-30-2012 08:54 PM

Ya ya we get it,Phaneuf is terrible he's the reason why this team couldn't score, couldn't stop pucks from going in etc etc. All Phaneuf's fault because he has the C on his jersey we get it

birddog* 03-30-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YearsintheWilderness (Post 47006569)

Not sure but does this sell newspapers? Phaneuf hits, fights, and is near the top in scoring for dmen. Give the guy a break. He'd be a lot better if the Leafs had a goalie that could stop a beach ball.

diceman934 03-30-2012 08:57 PM

You may not like the person who wrote the article, but it does not change the information.....

There are issues within that dressing room as well.

Remember when Dion got low bridged.....who came to his aid?

No one did and that is significant.....he is not a well liked person in that dressing room.