HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Darren Dreger: Brian Burke isn't going anywhere. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1149931)

hockeywiz542 03-31-2012 01:47 AM

Darren Dreger: Brian Burke isn't going anywhere.

http://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/s...77964854689793

Quote:

Darren Dreger‏

@DarrenDreger

Most around the Leafs admit they've never seen anything like the heat this club is dealing with right now. But, Burke isn't going anywhere.

1:18 PM - 30 Mar 12 via Twitter for BlackBerry®
http://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/s...78527415701505

Quote:

Darren Dreger

‏@DarrenDreger

Burke is guilty of setting expectations too high + operating with a loud + proud style which may change, but he very much has MLSE support.

1:20 PM - 30 Mar 12 via Twitter for BlackBerry®
http://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/s...79067335884800

Quote:

Darren Dreger

‏@DarrenDreger

There was talk of Toronto ownership issuing a statement to support Leafs management, but often that starts death watch. Focus now on draft.

1:22 PM - 30 Mar 12 via Twitter for BlackBerry®

K19* 03-31-2012 05:49 AM

It's funny how Montreal doesn't settle for such incompetence, but Toronto does.

Duke Silver 03-31-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komodo (Post 47028837)

Perhaps it's because Burke has actually done a lot for our long-term health and has actually built a Stanley Cup winner before?

Pierre Gauthier made far more questionable, stupid moves than Burke. He also made a few personnel moves that did not reflect well on the organization's proud history.

I wish this was January and people were still being logical.

Man Bear Pig 03-31-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Uhhh the Habs had arguably the most incompetent GM in the NHL for a long time outside of Howson. They have an even bigger mess then our team does. At least Burke has somewhat of a foundation of youth here. Dreger is right though, Burke set expectations way, way too high when he came in. He'll get another year here.

Man Bear Pig 03-31-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke Silver (Post 47028869)
Perhaps it's because Burke has actually done a lot for our long-term health and has actually built a Stanley Cup winner before?

Pierre Gauthier made far more questionable, stupid moves than Burke. He also made a few personnel moves that did not reflect well on the organization's proud history.

Leafs nation is truly bi-polar. It's like a woman with crazy mood swings. Once the playoffs were out of reach long ago we all wanted this top draft pick. What happens, we're set up to get one. Now that it's happening fans and the media have gone nuts.

K19* 03-31-2012 06:24 AM

It's just annoying that a man who has failed terribly gets such a complete vote of confidence. It's like rubbing salt in a sore wound. What is the need to come out and say "he's not going anywhere"? It's just arrogant.

rumman 03-31-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

THIS, and it's why the Canadiens have been the organization in the NHL with the most class. At least until recently, oh and it kills me to say that being a life long Hab hater.

rumman 03-31-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Why didn't Burke just say we'll be rebuilding so lets have some patients for 5 years? It was his ego driven mouth that's let to this, his fast track bravado and the Kessel trade are to blame. I doubt many would be pissed if Burke stated when he took over that this is a work in progress and ask for patience from Leaf nation. Bottom line is Burke's plan has been a total failure, and has set the team back years. I'd give my right *** to have Burke's job security.

dubey 03-31-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumman (Post 47029083)
THIS, and it's why the Canadiens have been the organization in the NHL with the most class. At least until recently, oh and it kills me to say that being a life long Hab hater.

Trading a player mid game is class?
Promoting someone to head coach but then saying he won't be coach for long because he's not french is class?

Admittedly I don't pay too much attention to Montreal but I think there's a better word for that than "class".

birddog* 03-31-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Agreed there are many areas Burke has done well. Still he has not assessed his team well, especially the goaltending. In January Burke told everyone he had 2 number one goalies. Number 1 goalies steal games and everyone knows there is no number 1 goalie here.

So after 3.5 years of listening to the blow hard Burke (he even called fans sheep once since they follow anything) fans are relishing the opportunity to stick it to the blow hard.

That's exactly how I feel. He's done some good things but you can't discount this team is still bottom 5. And after all his blow hard comments -- it's nice to finally shut him up. Stick it Burke.

Confucius 03-31-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumman (Post 47029121)
Why didn't Burke just say we'll be rebuilding so lets have some patients for 5 years? It was his ego driven mouth that's let to this, his fast track bravado and the Kessel trade are to blame. I doubt many would be pissed if Burke stated when he took over that this is a work in progress and ask for patience from Leaf nation. Bottom line is Burke's plan has been a total failure, and has set the team back years. I'd give my right *** to have Burke's job security.

Well, that would have meant trading away your draft picks would just look stupider than it was. Anyway keeping Burke to the end of his deal is not a vote of confidence really. It is just letting him finish his job. If we still are a crap team in two years there should be no doubt in anyone's mind he sucks as a gm. If he goes now people will say we never let him finish his build. Besides I'm looking forward to how he handles the Kessel negotiations in another year. If he can't resign him, what a total :facepalm:

puckbunnygirl 03-31-2012 07:05 AM

well now it's official. burke isn't going anywhere.

and now it's official. ron wilson, isn't. GOING. ANYWHERE!

.... oh wait!

Volcanologist 03-31-2012 07:05 AM

Brian Burke is still owed 6 million bucks. of course he's not going anywhere.

Twix 03-31-2012 07:32 AM

Next year is do or die for Burke. If they miss the playoffs again next season which I'm quite sure they will, he will be fired.

hullsy47 03-31-2012 07:33 AM

biggest blowhard of them all .....dreger
only reason burke hasnt been questioned by his owners is the teachers cant wait to get out of dodge and rogers is in no position yet to bring in their own consultants
burke is in tough
he ll get this summer and likley next year he ;ll have someone to answer to regularly
he ;ll ***** and moan about how he doesnt like interference and medling and then poof
we get rid of team USA for good
start selling those leaf cellphone APPS.....with wayne gretzky .mark messier logos to boot :yo:

MajorityRules* 03-31-2012 07:44 AM

Excellent news. I hope he's here for a long time.

Mike Jones 03-31-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Perhaps it's because Burke has actually done a lot for our long-term health ...

And he's worked miracles for Boston's. That has to be rewarded right?

veedubn1 03-31-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 47029779)
And he's worked miracles for Boston's. That has to be rewarded right?

I'm sorry.. do we not have a young player (under 25) on our squad who is on pace for his first 80 point season?

Please tell me the last time the Leafs had an 80 point forward, who they were and how old they were when putting up those numbers.

BLONG7 03-31-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubey (Post 47029163)
Trading a player mid game is class?
Promoting someone to head coach but then saying he won't be coach for long because he's not french is class?

Admittedly I don't pay too much attention to Montreal but I think there's a better word for that than "class".

Hence Gauthier is gone...

veedubn1 03-31-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumman (Post 47029121)

It's true his time hasn't been perfect... but please point out how the team has been set back years.

Did he trade a bunch of young prospects for ageing veterans near the end of their career for a fruitless playoff run? Did he overpay for a free agent whose contract will be on the books for the next 10 seasons?

Ummm... no

MorriPage 03-31-2012 08:26 AM

Brian Burke has not set the Maple Leafs back years. He's simply failed to deliver on any of the promises he made when he arrived. Can't get much easier to understand than that.

diceman934 03-31-2012 08:30 AM

Wow.....

I thought that the Leaf fans on here did not believe anything when it came to Dreger?

Burke has the current owners vote of confidence but does he have the new owners vote of confidence....time will tel.

Mike Jones 03-31-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veedubn1 (Post 47030121)
I'm sorry.. do we not have a young player (under 25) on our squad who is on pace for his first 80 point season?

That's really helped them reach the playoffs, hasn't it?

Think of what Seguin's going to be doing when he's Kessel's age - and then add Hamilton and Knight to the mix.

The one thing that floors me about Burke's time in TO is how badly he assessed his own team. Complete amateurs were making better predictions than the team's own GM. He had no idea what he had in the locker room and that, for me, says it louder than the actual Kessel trade itself.

Wendelstache 03-31-2012 08:35 AM

I don't support a lot of the moves by Burke, but i love him as our GM.

give him a few more years, i don't even mind being in the lottery the next couple of years.

LC 03-31-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twix (Post 47029593)
Next year is do or die for Burke. If they miss the playoffs again next season which I'm quite sure they will, he will be fired.

Not necessarily. If he drafts a #1 center, is able to add a decent goaltender, and maybe signs Schultz...he could turn around his reputation. He has to convince people that he wants to rebuild the right way.