HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Prospect Info: Share your draft resources (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1150797)

JTG 04-01-2012 07:44 AM

Share your draft resources

I know a lot of people here are into the draft and prospects, but everyone uses their different forms of media to get a read on these players, outside of watching them. I always found it funny that guys can get such different reads on players, but that mainly has to do with guys using different types of media about prospects. I'm always looking for new stuff to read on prospects, and I'm curious as to what everyone else uses to evaluate talent.

I wanted to start this thread so that everyone would make their draft prospect information known, so everyone else can read up and get educated for the draft that will be in Pittsburgh. I thought it'd be better to make a separate thread outside of our prospect thread because...none of the guys spoke of here will be our prospects...yet.

So start sharing...

JQR 04-01-2012 08:04 AM

I don't get too crazy about the draft. TSN has everything I need:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/

Coach John McGuirk 04-01-2012 09:14 AM

I should be getting The Hockey News Draft Special soon enough. I'll read through it and toss out some of my draft crushes, and if you're interested in anyone in particular, I'll be more than happy to copy their scouting reports.

eXile59 04-01-2012 10:21 AM

I try to read up on them but I also try to watch them as well. I love watching college hockey the most. Yahoo has a decent up to date look at Junior players....http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...FmRWBaskciBb1_

Speedster 04-01-2012 10:29 AM

I'm interested in Tanner Pearson, Tomas Hyka, Martin Frk and if he can last through the first 20 picks without being picked Collberg.

Could anyone get me up to date on all these guys. Thanks.

Edit: I'm also interested in Jordan Schmaltz, Thomas Wilson.

Speedster 04-01-2012 10:34 AM

I also know that Pearson has 91 points this season in 60 games it would be such a steal to get him that late.

sina220* 04-01-2012 10:35 AM

One of the less obvious is thescoutingreport.org

Its an amateur site but they generally provide very good and detailed write ups, and they delve into junior league priority drafts so you get a look at the future a few years down the line. Another lesser known is rotoworld.com, the fantasy sports website. They haven't done any real articles besides rankings yet but as the draft draws nearer (post lottery) they do a great job of breaking down rankings and mocking. Most people don't check there because they assume its all fantasy stuff, but they do quite a good job and they're in cahoots with mckeens so you get some of their perspective without having to pay for it.

And a general rule I follow is to not latch onto a specific outlet, but pay attention to the discrepancies between them. Once I zero in on a few kids who I think fit what we look for in the 1st and 2nd rounds then I begin to watch some film and see if I think the player matches our criteria, as well as his scouting reports.

Personally I hope an early run on d men will allow one of the forwards, girgensons, collberg, faksa, or aberg to fall to us, in that order. Beyond them I like d man ludvig bystrom, forward Phil digiuseppe, and forward daniil zharkov. Bystrom and zharkov imo could be huge steals as both have immense potential. Bystrom is overlooked because so many d are ranked high and zharkov has issues playing without the puck, but displays an aggressiveness when he's on that could make him dominant if more consistent. It also wouldn't surprise me if they round out the samuelsson family and take henrik as well. He certainly fits the Shero mold, and we love our bloodlines.

Speedster 04-01-2012 10:41 AM

I like to use Eliteprospects and HockeysFuture.com

They're all useful sites.

eXile59 04-01-2012 11:19 AM

I like Phillip Giuseppe from what I saw of him in the frozen four. I think he is projected to go late 1st as well.

I really wish there was a place where you could watch the games besides NHL network on the rare chance they play a CHL game.

JTG 04-02-2012 11:22 AM

I'm liking what I'm reading about plenty of Europeans. I wouldn't mind us going in that direction this season. It seems a lot of the NA guys are viewed as 2nd/3rd line tweener types.

MrBurghundy 04-02-2012 11:43 AM

I'm lazy and I hate reading about prospects that we have no chance at drafting. So does anybody know some players that should be around when we get up to the podium? That way I can focus on reading about those specific players instead of everybody.

Riggs 04-02-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBurgundy (Post 47157567)
I'm lazy and I hate reading about prospects that we have no chance at drafting. So does anybody know some players that should be around when we get up to the podium? That way I can focus on reading about those specific players instead of everybody.

I would start with the 3 mock drafts on the NHL draft page, here.

Focus on the guys in the 20-30 range and that should be a good start.