HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cox: Leafs Lure Leo Komarov [Signed for one Year] (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1152887)

hockeywiz542 04-03-2012 01:15 PM

Leafs Lure Leo Komarov [Signed for one Year]

http://twitter.com/#!/DamoSpin/statu...72361521475584

Quote:

Damien Cox‏

@DamoSpin

Leafs again hopeful of luring feisty Finnish C Leo Komarov, an '06 draftee, to North America next season. Now 25, plays for Moscow Dynamo.

9:39 AM - 3 Apr 12 via web

Hurt 04-03-2012 01:16 PM

I've never seen him play but remember reading good things. Any updates about him from someone who's seen him recently/knows his play style?

mydnyte 04-03-2012 01:21 PM

scouting rept ...small, quick pest who plays center.

in other words, not a player we need, or can really use

Kyle Doobas 04-03-2012 01:26 PM

He could be effective riding shotgun on the fourth line with Steckel & Brown next year IMO. It'd save us from having to try to fill that hole by way of free agency and potentially overpaying for a guy like Winnik.

TheLeastOfTheBunch 04-03-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydnyte (Post 47216291)

Can play the wing, about 5'11", 207 pounds as well.

Corleone 04-03-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydnyte (Post 47216291)

I don't get what you're saying, we have no player like that anywhere in our system.

We could definately use him.

BonMorrison 04-03-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corleone (Post 47216811)
I don't get what you're saying, we have no player like that anywhere in our system.

Kadri is a very good pest, Marchand-lite.

Edgeworth* 04-03-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurt (Post 47216103)
I've never seen him play but remember reading good things. Any updates about him from someone who's seen him recently/knows his play style?

Basically a 4th line center that'll kill penalties and piss people off. He almost came over last season but didnt.

SeenSchenn2 04-03-2012 01:38 PM

We don't own his rights anymore, do we?

ErnieLeafs 04-03-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

You're certainly forgetting about Bradley Ross, but that's beside the point.

We need guys who play with Komarov's fire and nasty nature. The fellow you're quoting should watch our team play, and re-think this daft comment. Hahah.

Stephen 04-03-2012 01:39 PM

If Komarov is like Marchand in any way, that could be good for us. However, I am a little bit indifferent with all the depth moves like signing Carrick, Abbott, etc. Like realistically, will all these "smallish third line guys" make any contribution greater than Bozak and MacArthur as 'pretty decent' NHLers? It's like the Leafs have turned into a Matt Stajan factory with a bit more skill or grit depending on the model type.

Edgeworth* 04-03-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Ross and Kadri immediately jump to mind.

Corleone 04-03-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonMorrison (Post 47216909)
Kadri is a very good pest, Marchand-lite.

Yeah but Kadri's a top six forward, this Komarov guy isn't.

bobbyflex 04-03-2012 01:45 PM

Finnish?

mydnyte 04-03-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Kadri, and Ross ...there are a few others down there, but, cant think of them. :(

...if he's playing as a winger though, who would he displace?

New Liskeard 04-03-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 47217145)
If Komarov is like Marchand in any way, that could be good for us. However, I am a little bit indifferent with all the depth moves like signing Carrick, Abbott, etc. Like realistically, will all these "smallish third line guys" make any contribution greater than Bozak and MacArthur as 'pretty decent' NHLers? It's like the Leafs have turned into a Matt Stajan factory with a bit more skill or grit depending on the model type.

As nice as it is to sign prospects that evolve into NHL players, there is also great value in having depth on the Marlies, that push other prospects to be their best, and create a winning atmosphere.

htpwn 04-03-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyflex (Post 47217419)
Finnish?

Estonian-born, raised in a Swedish-speaking town in Finland, and holds Russian citizenship.

Morguee 04-03-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 47217751)
Estonian-born, raised in a Swedish-speaking town in Finland, and holds Russian citizenship.

So he hardly has any finnish at all then.

Dayjobdave 04-03-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 47217751)

Sounds like he'd make a good Leaf.

Hurt 04-03-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayjobdave (Post 47218005)
Sounds like he'd make a good Leaf.

Not enough Ontario, haven't you learned anything from Cherry, Dave? :sarcasm:

dougieg93 04-03-2012 02:04 PM

Komarov seems like he would be a useful edition - he is the 2nd leading goal scorer and leads in PIM on the prestigious Moscow Dynamo.

I'm not sure what the Leafs entitlements are as they didn't sign him to an ELC I believe, so it doesn't seem like a Radulov scenario. Wouldn't he be an UFA if he decides to go back to the NHL?

satrabyk 04-03-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayjobdave (Post 47216757)
Somehow I don't think that not signing Sean Avery is an example of Burke having a big ego.

He could have signed him two years ago. The fact is Leafs have zero character, if you think about it and besides the weak goaltending they got that really hurt them down the stretch. No guys that want to make it hard for the other team, team that successfull need guys that want to piss the other team off with there skill and than top it off with knocking them down. Its not all about skill in this league. The leaf grinders like Rosehill are useless and not even close to what guys like Cooke or Avery should i say offer to a team. Armstrong started the first couple games of the seasonw well and with injuries became quite useless, and he is the only guy that when he want playing at a higher level can be thrown in the mix of toughness, character and skill. Its funny this is what Burke MO is but yet they have the most mellow team on planet earth.

Rinzler 04-03-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satrabyk (Post 47218437)
He could have signed him two years ago. The fact is Leafs have zero character, if you think about it and besides the weak goaltending they got that really hurt them down the stretch. No guys that want to make it hard for the other team, team that successfull need guys that want to piss the other team off with there skill and than top it off with knocking them down. Its not all about skill in this league. The leaf grinders like Rosehill are useless and not even close to what guys like Cooke or Avery should i say offer to a team. Armstrong started the first couple games of the seasonw well and with injuries became quite useless, and he is the only guy that when he want playing at a higher level can be thrown in the mix of toughness, character and skill. Its funny this is what Burke MO is but yet they have the most mellow team on planet earth.

You are right, the Leafs have a lack of character right now. That said, character is the primary attribute they drafted in the past 3 years. You really have to take a future outlook on stuff like that because the only thing you can change quickly is how you approach the future through the draft. Most character guys in the NHL today are held on tight by their respective hockey clubs.

Eb 04-03-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corleone (Post 47216501)
Dion Phaneuf, that's why.

How about the fact that Burke said that the rats are running/ruining the NHL?

GordieHoweHatTrick 04-03-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eb (Post 47219791)
How about the fact that Burke said that the rats are running/ruining the NHL?

Burke says alot of things. It's time he puts up or shuts up