HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Speculation: 2012 Offseason Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1153643)

LatvianTwist 04-03-2012 10:07 PM

2012 Offseason Thread

What a horrible day.

Might as well start now, it's all but over.

MetalGodAOD 04-03-2012 10:30 PM

If Niewy remains, he needs to finally realize what this is and jettison the old core at the draft. Hanging onto the same locker-room core that's missed the playoffs 4 years in a row, with the same mental weakness and choking 2 years in a row has to go. Market the team as a young and up and coming team for next year, and see what the kids can do.

Robidas, Morrow, Souray's rights, Ott, and yes even Riberio need to be gone by the draft. I love Riberio, but he's part of the problem the past few years. Try to overpay Parise. Give Glennie, Chiasson, Smithx2, and Fraser longg looks at training camp. Play the youth and grow with them.

SonicSpeedDash 04-03-2012 10:38 PM

You really think Joe's going to realize? He was confident in this POS core before the deadline and look how it ended.

Gaglardi can swipe the slate clean this offseason for all i care.

Modo 04-03-2012 10:46 PM

Yep.

Sat on his thumbs at the deadline, probably fielded an offer or two but declined, and went with what we had.

Worked for a while, but now it seems everyone's winning except us. Us and Calgary. But even Calgary beat us. That's how our badly season has nosedived.

SonicSpeedDash 04-03-2012 10:51 PM

Remember Gully said he would go back to Saskatchewan if they didn't make it. Hope he keeps the promise.

Bennrocks 04-03-2012 10:55 PM

They really do need to jettison anyone over 30 that is worth anything

Go Rangers?

glovesave_35 04-03-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicSpeed (Post 47269049)
Remember Gully said he would go back to Saskatchewan if they didn't make it. Hope he keeps the promise.

He didn't say he would go back if they missed the playoffs. It was a very vague statement all around.

Stars99Lobo37 04-03-2012 10:57 PM

Wooooo Parise!!

I'm sure failing for the fourth consecutive season at the most important part of the year will definitely motivate him to come here!!

SonicSpeedDash 04-03-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 (Post 47269481)
Wooooo Parise!!

I wish. How could you convince him to come here?

Modo 04-03-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicSpeed (Post 47269571)
I wish. How could you convince him to come here?

Gagliardi drives a dump truck full of money to his house.

That's how.

There's a lot that this Stars team needs, and a lot that has been overlooked by current management.

I hope GMJN gets an earful once this team is officially out; this is his team, a team he thought was good enough to keep together through the trade deadline, and put on the ice every game down the stretch.

It hasn't worked.

SonicSpeedDash 04-03-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 47269711)
Gagliardi drives a dump truck full of money to his house.

That's how.

There's a lot that this Stars team needs, and a lot that has been overlooked by current management.

I hope GMJN gets an earful once this team is officially out; this is his team, a team he thought was good enough to keep together through the trade deadline, and put on the ice every game down the stretch.

It hasn't worked.

Its been his team for 3 years and nothing has happened. I know money was a issue but this season we had it and sat there on trade day.

Gaglardi like i said can clean house.

Troy McClure 04-03-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 47269711)
. There's a lot that this Stars team needs, and a lot that has been overlooked by current management.

It hasn't worked.

I don't think anything was overlooked. There weren't really any options given the budget situation.

MetalGodAOD 04-03-2012 11:06 PM

Nothing's wrong with the way this team was constructed in the offseason. Joe did what he could with the money he had.

What was wrong was buying into the hype of players like Ott and Riberio elevating their game in order to save their skins from being traded. He knew this team sucked and said no matter what his mind wasn't going to be changed about the trade deadline. He bought into it, and made bad choices. He should have known better.

Stars99Lobo37 04-03-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnholyPrince (Post 47270007)
What was wrong was buying into the hype of players like Ott and Riberio elevating their game in order to save their skins from being traded. He knew this team sucked and said no matter what his mind wasn't going to be changed about the trade deadline. He bought into it, and made bad choices. He should have known better.

Bingo.

Chaos 04-03-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Nothing's wrong with the way this team was constructed in the offseason. Joe did what he could with the money he had.

This. The winning streak right before the deadline quite obviously changed Nieuwendyk's mind. I have no doubt that he would have been selling off more parts had they not put together that streak. Then this franchise could have actually rebuilt like they've needed to do for about 2 years now.

Elysian 04-03-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Ding ding ding ding ding!

SonicSpeedDash 04-03-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Damn right

piqued 04-03-2012 11:25 PM

Anyone who wore a letter heading into this season should be removed from the team.

Anyone who will be a UFA should be allowed to walk.

There, that's a 3rd of the squad turned over. It's a start.

________ 04-03-2012 11:33 PM

This is where they'll start the plan they've talked about to get the team younger. It seemed like a long shot to make the moves at the deadline, but the thing is for some of the players I don't think they're going to get that much value.

Troy McClure 04-03-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ________ (Post 47271463)
This is where they'll start the plan they've talked about to get the team younger. It seemed like a long shot to make the moves at the deadline, but the thing is for some of the players I don't think they're going to get that much value.

Probably true. Nothing was going to happen at the deadline to help this team.

Bennrocks 04-03-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy McClure (Post 47271621)
Probably true. Nothing was going to happen at the deadline to help this team.

yeah really what were you going to get besides a 2nd or two maybe all of our "valuable" assets are still under team control

None More Negative* 04-03-2012 11:43 PM

Any real #1 D-men out there? That way we could slot Goligoski down to the 3rd pair/PP where he belongs..lol

Rune Forumwalker 04-03-2012 11:43 PM

Can't say I'm surprised a team with the lowest payroll in the league isn't making the playoffs. It was a good run just being in the race IMO.

Bennrocks 04-03-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Again (Post 47271959)
Any real #1 D-men out there? That way we could slot Goligoski down to the 3rd pair/PP where he belongs..lol

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_im...wtfjaguars.gif

Elysian 04-03-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Again (Post 47271959)

I don't understand how you think a guy deserving of being on the 3rd pairing can also deserve to be on the PP? :shakehead He's at the very least a 2nd pairing defenseman, I just don't think they've gotten the right partner for him this season.