HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   GDT: "Closing Time" - CBJ vs. New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1157265)

leesmith 04-07-2012 10:45 AM

"Closing Time" - CBJ vs. New York Islanders

The curtain is mercifully falling on the "Season of Suck." All of the bad things about the worst season in CBJ history (certainly in terms of points per payroll) have been well documented. So today is a good time to look at the silver lining around this dark storm cloud.

Here are my thoughts about the Top 10 GOOD Things about the 2011-2012 season. What's yours?

10. Derrick Brassard. Brassard was once thought by many to be a party boy with "Destination Disease" and on his way out by the trade deadline. His play during the second half, however, indicates he may have turned the corner and is on his way toward fulfilling the promise of being one of the better pivots in the league.

9. NHL All-Star Game. Whether it's a distraction to placate the long suffering fans in Columbus, compensation for not moving to the Eastern Conference, or something else, the NHL All-Star Game will be a great one-time event to showcase the city.

8. Cam Atkinson. What he lacks in stature, he makes up for in speed and sniperability. I know it's not a word, but I just used it in a sentence, so it's a word now! What make Atkinson different that Calvert and Filatov is that he was dominant for nearly a full season in the AHL before scoring in meaningless NHL games. There's hope he'll be able to continue his prowess during games that actually matter next season.

7. Derek Dorsett. He had a career year this season. More importantly, he proved to everyone - especially himself - that he's more than an energy guy that can throw punches and take stupid penalties.

6. Mid-season acquisitions of Letestu and Nikitin. Letestu looks to be a very good second or third line center with the workmanlike attitude this dressing room desperately needs. I would be stunned if Nikki Six doesn't get resigned and becomes a fixture on the third pairing next season. Folks, we could actually have a good blueline for the first time in franchise history for 2012-2013.

5. Addition of Craig Patrick. In the history of this franchise, we've had two underachievers as General Managers and our GM has always had to work in a vacuum. This, while other clubs surround themselves with hockey veterans in the front office. Having a "voice of reason" can only be a good thing, even if it's only on a part-time basis. Thanks to Nanabijou for pointing out my original oversight!

4. Fan Support. Nearly 300 CBJ made headlines across North America on a cold, windy day to prove that (as Portzline put it) "Columbus is not a bad hockey market. It's a market with bad hockey." From that day forward, the headlines focused on the poor performance of the front office, not on the viability of Columbus as a hockey market. Honorable mention for fan support! Columbus put up some gawdy attendance numbers for a club mired in the cellar all year while ownership defiantly refuses to replace the General Manager and President responsible for our slide.

3. #1 Draft Pick, maybe. As we likely say goodbye to our only #1 draft pick, there's a 48% chance of having another this summer. Whether we get the number one or number two pick in Pittsburgh, he'll most likely crack the CBJ lineup this October. The CBJ also get the LA Kings first round pick (with the option to trade it or save it for 2013), the number 31 pick, and Ottawa's second round pick (via PHX). Hope for the future!

2. Jack Johnson. This guy is an absolute stud. No longer playing in the shadows of Drew Doughty, JMFJ is a leader, a minute eater, and (imagine this) a legitimate first pairing defenseman.

1. Arena Deal. The franchise finally has some stability with Franklin County's purchase of Nationwide Arena. Isles fans surely must be envious. Now, will I be getting a refund for my PSL that was needed to help build the Arena? Didn't think so.

Oh yeah, there's a game tonight between two of the NHL's bottom feeders - Columbus and the New York Islanders. The Isles appear to be on their way up (finally). The CBJ have finally hit bottom during the Howson Error (er, I mean Era). Both probably have tee times scheduled for Monday.

Come say goodbye to Rick Nash and organist Bob Dawson, who is performing his last CBJ game tonight. Here's the deets from SuperGenius...

SuperGenius 04-07-2012 10:46 AM

New York at Columbus | 7:00PM 4.9.12 | O Captain My Captain

Lee beat me out by a minute....here was my post, hoping it's not the last time Nash plays for the CBJ

Nanabijou 04-07-2012 10:57 AM

The line from the Semisonic one is appropriate:

'Gather all your Jackets and move into the exits'.

However, for a 'Closing Time' song, I much prefer Leonard Cohen's.

Nanabijou 04-07-2012 11:07 AM

Goodbye, Rick.

Get #30 tonight.

EspenK 04-07-2012 11:12 AM

Great start to the thread.

To Lee's list I would add-

Carter's gone

Its finally over

and one more Closing Time video

Nanabijou 04-07-2012 11:19 AM

To Lee's list:

What about the hiring of Patrick?

While we don't know how much he is involved, the fact that the Jackets decided to bring in some more experience to the front office. If the rumor is true that with Patrick coming in, Priest was shifted further away from hockey operations, then it's number on the list is even better.

leesmith 04-07-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanabijou (Post 47466015)
To Lee's list:

What about the hiring of Patrick?

While we don't know how much he is involved, the fact that the Jackets decided to bring in some more experience to the front office. If the rumor is true that with Patrick coming in, Priest was shifted further away from hockey operations, then it's number on the list is even better.

Good point. That one might even go as high as number five. Sorry Yorkie, you've been bumped.

gojackets1 04-07-2012 11:26 AM

That list definitely boosted my mood today, lee. Thanks for that. Im gonna miss Nash a lot, but im gonna love the return for him. I guess I wouldnt mind keeping him, hes obviously a great, great guy. <3

Halfboard 04-07-2012 11:34 AM

Thank you #61. The first, and to date; the only truly great Jacket. Go win several Cups. You deserve it. :clap::clap::clap:

leesmith 04-07-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspenK (Post 47465749)
Great start to the thread.

To Lee's list I would add-

Carter's gone

And Scott Arniel is gone. :yo:

Matthew 04-07-2012 11:55 AM

Well, bye.

Sore Loser 04-07-2012 11:58 AM

Nice GDT lee, I really enjoyed reading the little blurbs.

Go Jackets - I'm hoping for a solid finish to the season and a great turn-around.

Skraut 04-07-2012 12:19 PM

the season, it ends tonight.

JF Omalycat 04-07-2012 12:35 PM

I've been highly critical of Rick in the past, overly critical sometimes, but I've got to admit I'm feeling a little torn right now.

jdhebner 04-07-2012 12:57 PM

I'd put the Prospal signing up there somewhere also.

wahsnairb 04-07-2012 01:00 PM

I hope Rick plays tonight so I don't have to see him in another sweater the next time I see him at the Nat..

and thanks for the list, the year could have been worse.. I suppose

Crede777 04-07-2012 01:01 PM

So do we cheer or boo when they go to center ice to salute the fans after the game?

wahsnairb 04-07-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 47470879)
So do we cheer or boo when they go to center ice to salute the fans after the game?

that is such a silly question.. we fins a way to do both, simultaneously!

blahblah 04-07-2012 01:06 PM

Yay, last freaking game of the year... Thank goodness.

IBleedUnionBlue 04-07-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

18,000 will cheer. Now if Howson and Priest make an appearance, the chorus of boo's will be heard as far away as Toronto.

jag72 04-07-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Of course I will be there cheering as they go out to center ice after the game. That is what a fan does no matter how tough of a season.

IBleedUnionBlue 04-07-2012 01:37 PM

My Top 10...

1. Shipping candy-ass Carter out of here and landing Jack Johnson.
2. Snagging Vinnie Prospal when Huselius gets hurt, and then somehow convincing Prospal to resign for next year.
3. Trading for Nikita Nikitin.
4. Acquiring Letestu via trade from Pittsburgh.
5. The emergence of Dorsett.
6. Bringing in Craig Patrick. Its painfully obvious that the CBJ front office lacks experience, so CP can only help.
7. The silver lining in finishing last is landing either the #1 or #2 draft pick next season.
8. Being awarded the NHL All-Star Game. Should be a really fun event next season.
9. Players of the future: Especially Cam Atkinson, and to some extent RyJo19.
10. There were still some things to cheer about this year: Wiz's OT game winner in Nashville! Umberger's HT at home. Sanford carrying this team when things looked bleak. Even York's play in the final few games.

Can't wait till October!

IBleedUnionBlue 04-07-2012 01:38 PM

It is also fitting Wooten added the dual themed GDT honoring Nash.

Jovavic 04-07-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfboard (Post 47466591)
Thank you #61. The first, and to date; the only truly great Jacket. Go win several Cups. You deserve it. :clap::clap::clap:

He's only been great by Jacket standards. Now watch a leaguewide great player like Tavaras tonight and see the difference.

36kap36 04-07-2012 02:17 PM

My favorite thing that happened:

KRIS RUSSELL IS GONE. Plus, Nikitin is a stud.

Bad season, but at least we have hope for next season.