HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   What's up with Kanko??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=115784)

LadyByngJeanRatelle 11-29-2004 12:03 PM

What's up with Kanko???
 
Hey guys, just wondering what's going on with Petr Kanko? In the summer he was ranked top 5 for your prospects, now I see some new lists with him 14th (?). Has he really stunk it up this year with Manchester? I always thought of him as a great 3rd line type player (checker/agitator/sometime scorer). Does he get any ice time, or has he been just given 4th line duties? Thanks.

King Blazer 11-29-2004 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle
Hey guys, just wondering what's going on with Petr Kanko? In the summer he was ranked top 5 for your prospects, now I see some new lists with him 14th (?). Has he really stunk it up this year with Manchester? I always thought of him as a great 3rd line type player (checker/agitator/sometime scorer). Does he get any ice time, or has he been just given 4th line duties? Thanks.

I'm not sure what lists you're referring to. The list in this section shows him at #4 I believe. He has done everything BUT "stunk it up this year with Manchester". He's spent the majority of his time on the Monarch's 3rd line in a checking/agitation role. He's dropped the gloves with much bigger opponents when he's had to and if there's a fracas in front of the opponents net when his line is on the ice, it's a safe bet he's right in the middle of it. When Brad Smyth missed the 3rd period after a fight 2 games ago, Kanko saw a fair amount of time on the first line with Cammy and Brown.

A while back, Boudreau spoke about Kanko in the local newspaper and the only critical comment he had was that Petr had to learn how to play in the offensive zone without the puck. He immedeatly followed that comment with Petr is still very young and his lack of experience of what to do when he doesn't have the puck in the O-zone is one of the most common deficiency in young forward prospects.

He's doing fine!

Matt13 11-29-2004 01:00 PM

How is Petr as a fighter?

David A. Rainer 11-29-2004 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
A while back, Boudreau spoke about Kanko in the local newspaper and the only critical comment he had was that Petr had to learn how to play in the offensive zone without the puck. He immedeatly followed that comment with Petr is still very young and his lack of experience of what to do when he doesn't have the puck in the O-zone is one of the most common deficiency in young forward prospects.

That's exactly what he told me also. I guess I got a canned response. Lol!

LadyByngJeanRatelle 11-29-2004 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
I'm not sure what lists you're referring to. The list in this section shows him at #4 I believe.

Really?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=115620

LadyByngJeanRatelle 11-29-2004 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
I'm not sure what lists you're referring to. The list in this section shows him at #4 I believe.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=115620

jfont 11-29-2004 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team.php?team=14

Legionnaire 11-29-2004 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
I'm not sure what lists you're referring to. The list in this section shows him at #4 I believe. He has done everything BUT "stunk it up this year with Manchester". He's spent the majority of his time on the Monarch's 3rd line in a checking/agitation role. He's dropped the gloves with much bigger opponents when he's had to and if there's a fracas in front of the opponents net when his line is on the ice, it's a safe bet he's right in the middle of it. When Brad Smyth missed the 3rd period after a fight 2 games ago, Kanko saw a fair amount of time on the first line with Cammy and Brown.

A while back, Boudreau spoke about Kanko in the local newspaper and the only critical comment he had was that Petr had to learn how to play in the offensive zone without the puck. He immedeatly followed that comment with Petr is still very young and his lack of experience of what to do when he doesn't have the puck in the O-zone is one of the most common deficiency in young forward prospects.

He's doing fine!

Good post.

I think Petr is just starting to feel comfortable with his offensive abilites, or maybe Bourdreau is. He has done everything ask of him by his coach, and the way it sounds( :mad: I've only seen one game obviously :mad: ) he has been creating chances in the offensive zone the last two three games; and the points have come. Before that, like you said, he was mostly playing on the checking line, and therefore did not have as many scoring opportunities. Yet, he still played well, and did his job to a T.

Old Hickory 11-29-2004 04:57 PM

Also remember he is a rookie on a stacked team. Both him and Hogeboom are great prospects who aren't/weren't(injury) getting a ton of icetime because a logjam of talent.

Legionnaire 11-29-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Also remember he is a rookie on a stacked team. Both him and Hogeboom are great prospects who aren't/weren't(injury) getting a ton of icetime because a logjam of talent.

Right, right. I meant to include that somewhere. If the season were on, he and Hogie would be on the top lines, if not in LA.

King'sPawn 11-29-2004 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle
Hey guys, just wondering what's going on with Petr Kanko? In the summer he was ranked top 5 for your prospects, now I see some new lists with him 14th (?). Has he really stunk it up this year with Manchester? I always thought of him as a great 3rd line type player (checker/agitator/sometime scorer). Does he get any ice time, or has he been just given 4th line duties? Thanks.

Well, my own list clearly does not reflect what most think :) Most would probably have Grebeshkov over Gleason, and Munce as the top goaltending prospect over the rest.

But I'll explain why some of the players are ranked ahead of Kanko. I'll ignore Brown, Grebeshkov, Gleason, Tukonen, and Cammalleri, because they rank higher or aren't included in the top prospects list.

Pushkarev - In his draft year during the WJC, he scored as many goals as Ovechkin; we weren't sure how he'd translate to the North American style, but he plays gritty, and I've read nothing but good things about him.

Tambellini - I'm buying the "he put up bad numbers due to injury" excuse. I've also read that he is a good leader.

Marty Guerin - Prior to his injury, he put up awesome numbers in college. He also put up solid numbers last season. An absolute steal as a 9th rounder, who was projected to go in the 3rd round.

Noah Clarke - Another 9th rounder who is panning out really well. He had a nice debut with the Kings, played well in college, and continues to put up good numbers in Manchester.

Richard Petiot - Stay-at-home defenseman get underrated because of the few numbers they put up. But, he plays a physical game that, in my opinion, has more value than what I think Kanko will bring.

Yannick Lehoux - His history is pretty bad, and maybe I'm overrating him because of one season, but he's been phenomenal this year; and from what I've read, he's improved every aspect of his game.

Paul Baier - It was a tough call to put him ahead of Kanko. He had a good prospects camp, though, and sounds like one day he could be like Visnovsky.

Greg Hogeboom - I wrote in the thread you cited that he could turn out to be a poor man's Conroy; solid two-way physical play. His numbers in Manchester aren't great this season, and yes, he was another tough call to put ahead of Kanko.

Kanko has put up good numbers in the OHL and last season. This season, he's putting up good numbers and is a great agitator. I'm by no means saying that he's a bad prospect. I just think, as time progresses, we'll see his numbers go down more and more, and his PIMs go up and up, like Laperriere.

Old Hickory 11-29-2004 05:22 PM

I am one of the biggest Hogeboom fans there is, but I wouldn't put him over Kanko.

King Blazer 11-29-2004 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I am one of the biggest Hogeboom fans there is, but I wouldn't put him over Kanko.

By the way kj, I spent a little time with Hogey at the game yesterday and he's optimistic about playing this coming weekend!

Reaper45 11-29-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King'sPawn

Kanko has put up good numbers in the OHL and last season. This season, he's putting up good numbers and is a great agitator. I'm by no means saying that he's a bad prospect. I just think, as time progresses, we'll see his numbers go down more and more, and his PIMs go up and up, like Laperriere.

I see Kanko ending up as a Fleury like clone. Maybe not the problems or point totals, but something very similar.

TwzKing 11-29-2004 06:08 PM

It's great to have sooooo many prospects, i just hope they transfer well over to NHL.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.