HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Trend for next years' draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=115935)

True Blue 11-30-2004 09:32 AM

Trend for next years' draft

Time for a little diversion. We have spent so much time talking about doom and gloom that it is time for something different.
It seems to me that next year's draft (providing there is one) is not only deep, but has a certain characteristic to it. Maybe it is just my untrained eye, but it seems to me that the forwards are mostly North American-type of players. There is plenty of size that finishing their checks type of players. Mind you, that does not mean that they are all grinders. Just more of the Andrew Ladd-personality type of players (but better than Ladd). Just seems like the North American brawn is emphasized more than European skill. And please do not tell me that I am just generalizing. I am just making assesments.
Defensively, there are 2 picks whom I would not hesitate to make our top pick (providing that Crosby is off the board). While the Russian tank seems to have disappointed enough to seemingly drop out of the first round entirely, Jack Johnson has sky-rocketed. But the Czech kid Kindl is still holding his own. There is not doubt that Crosby is #1. However, if I were the Rangers, I would give serious consideration into taking either of these 2 kids. Both are #1 defenseman-types. Either would be the crown jewel of a future defense. Both would round out our own defensive prospects and allow for concentration on forwards. On a similar note, the more I hear of/ read about Risto Korhonen, the more I like him. He seems to be that physical defender-type (Derrian Hatcher). He possibly could be a future #1 as well. I actually like him more than Vitaly Anikeenko (the so-called Russian Tank).
After those 2, there are lots of skilled forwards, with both work ethic and lots of skill. I am not a big fan of Guillaume Latendresse. Never have been. It is Jack Johnson's teamate Jack Skille that intrigues me. As does Ryan O'Marra & Slava Truhno. But Truhno could still be had in the 2nd round. A good late first or early second may also be Tuukka Rask. He is one scary Finn.

Bird Law 11-30-2004 10:05 AM

Tukka Rask won't fall out of the top 15.

bmoak 11-30-2004 10:45 AM

I dunno. Kindl's stock seems to be falling as Johnson's is rising. Before this season, he has pretty much the consensus #1 D, ahead of Johnson and Anikeenko, but has been getting mixed reveviews in the OHL ths year. I don't know if I would take him with a top 5 pick.

Johnson vs Brule is insteresting, but I doubt Slats will have the opportunity to choose between them. It will be either whichever one is left or both will be gone by the time the Rangers pick.

Who knows how the draft is gonna work out. I wouldn't get my hopes too set on picking higher than the #4-#6 range.

The 2nd round should be interesting as we have 3 picks and it looks to be deeper than 2004.

NYR469 11-30-2004 11:06 AM

right now it definitely looks like there are more quality north american players than euros this year, but don't forget that most of the rankings are from north american sources that get to see the NA kids alot more...so don't be surprised to see some euro kids sneak up the rankings after the WJC when they get some more exposure...

as far as johnson and kindl go...IMO johnson is the 2nd best player in the draft and i'd take him 2nd overall after crosby without a second thought (and i'd do backflips if we got him)...you gotta put Brule at #3 (only slightly behind johnson) and i really like bobby ryan and i'm leaning toward putting him at #4 right now. kindl then is probably the favorite to fall in at #5

Blueshirt13 11-30-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoak
Who knows how the draft is gonna work out. I wouldn't get my hopes too set on picking higher than the #4-#6 range.

Someone on PT broke down the draft scenerios using the standings over the past 7 years. I would post a link but A. the links won't work here and B. I would probably get banned.

The rankings for the Rangers were
2 Year - 7th
3 Year - 5th
4 Year - 5th
5 Year - 3rd
7 Year - 4th

Needless to say that this is all speculation if there is no season and they use unweighted point totals for the past few years (they could always weight them giving more significance to more recent years).

Either way, I hope we get a top 5 pick as there are a ton of blue chips available. With Leetch gone, I would love to see the torch of the #1 defenseman passed to a fellow American, Jack Johnson.

Internet King 11-30-2004 11:30 AM

Yes, I seen the article on PT. I would go for it, if the math adds up right.

True Blue 11-30-2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Internet King
Yes, I seen the article on PT. I would go for it, if the math adds up right.

So where does the article have us drafting?

Blueshirt13 11-30-2004 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue

I think its more just to spit out the actual data to take a look at. Personally, looking at our total points over the past 2, 3 and 4 year periods, I would have thought we ranked lowered but apparently not. I'm surprised to see our point total over the past 7 years is higher than 3 teams but I guess its just the feel of not making the playoffs getting factored in. We had 3 years were we almost made it.

Internet King 11-30-2004 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue

Link to article

Here you go TrueBlue

FLYLine24 11-30-2004 12:26 PM

There isnt even going to be a draft this year....

Internet King 11-30-2004 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
There isnt even going to be a draft this year....

The article isn't based on that.

It's relating to WHEN the draft takes place. Whenever that is.

FLYLine24 11-30-2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Internet King
The article isn't based on that.

It's relating to WHEN the draft takes place. Whenever that is.

I meant it for the whole thread...its pointless to talk about top ranked players when there all going to end up UFA or something stupid like that with no draft.

Internet King 11-30-2004 12:49 PM

Quote:

I meant it for the whole thread...its pointless to talk about top ranked players when there all going to end up UFA or something stupid like that with no draft.

I doubt that'll happen.

True Blue 11-30-2004 01:03 PM

Quote:

If it is so pointless, then why are you here talking about it?

FLYLine24 11-30-2004 01:16 PM

Woah easy there tiger. Just stating the obvious that there isnt going to be a draft with no CBA and there obviously wont be a CBA in place with the people running the show right now.

True Blue 11-30-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Woah easy there tiger. Just stating the obvious that there isnt going to be a draft with no CBA and there obviously wont be a CBA in place with the people running the show right now.

There's nothing to be easy about. This was just a thread to talk about something besides the lockout. This is just pontification. You saying that it is pointless to talk about makes it seem that anything outside of the lockout is pointless to debate.

Anthony Mauro 11-30-2004 02:20 PM

Quote:

Whats pointless is you trying to further argue something that wasn't even specified or talked about. No one cares if there isnt going to be a draft on time. Most likely if there isnt a draft, there wont be any player movement anyway. Crosby has said he wouldnt want to sign with an NHL team and play as a scab. Others will likely feel the same way Crosby does.

NYRangers 11-30-2004 02:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Its a possible scenario. Personally, if they did do something like this, would believe they'd go with 3 years. Just a hunch.

Either way, its probably not as good as what we would have had.

Anthony Mauro 11-30-2004 02:51 PM

Jack Skille and Anze Kopitar sound like just the kind of guys that will end up being picked in the top 10. Skille is a big guy at 6'1''/6'2'' 200 lbs he's deadly around the net, loves to hit, and plays a power forward game. Maybe Shanahan or Guerin?

Kopitar is a big guy also and is a sniper in every sense of the word. There was an article on HF I believe, maybe it was from ISS, where they described Kopitar as a guy with a complete game who uses his size and will fight for his own space. And a sniper to boot. Sound like Heatley?

True Blue 11-30-2004 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Jack Skille and Anze Kopitar sound like just the kind of guys that will end up being picked in the top 10. Skille is a big guy at 6'1''/6'2'' 200 lbs he's deadly around the net, loves to hit, and plays a power forward game.

I caught Skille play once or twice. I started to watch just for Johnson (who did not dissapoint at all), but ended up watching Skille (let's face it, barring a catastrophe, Johnson is all but sealed to be a top 5 pick). The kid is the goods. He will not be confused with Kovulchuk or Ovechking or Malkin or Rick Nash, but the kid has the necessary skills. Like I said, he reminds me of a more skilled Andrew Ladd. Much more skilled. Whereas Ladd was a pick that could wind up as a tweener between first or second line, IMO Skille has top line power forward written all over him. I actually like him more than Jessiman. Pair a guy like him alongside of big Hugh, and you have the potential to have some line.

FLYLine24 11-30-2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Whats pointless is you trying to further argue something that wasn't even specified or talked about. No one cares if there isnt going to be a draft on time. Most likely if there isnt a draft, there wont be any player movement anyway. Crosby has said he wouldnt want to sign with an NHL team and play as a scab. Others will likely feel the same way Crosby does.

Yea but when the CBA is solved he can sign with any team he wants(well not entirley true since nobody knows how they will figure out what happens to all the players who draft date went bye bye) but they arent going to throw in a random draft sometime in Jan of 06 for the draft they missed in June of 05.

NYRangers 11-30-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

but they arent going to throw in a random draft sometime in Jan of 06 for the draft they missed in June of 05.

Actually, your wrong. Where were you last week? The NHL came out and said no draft untill theres a new CBA. And they said if this goes beyond June the draft will take place 2 months after a new CBA is held.

FLYLine24 11-30-2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangers
Actually, your wrong. Where were you last week? The NHL came out and said no draft untill theres a new CBA. And they said if this goes beyond June the draft will take place 2 months after a new CBA is held.

I dont know where i was........but thanks for pointing that out. Wonder how the draft order would look like? I hope they dont just throw everyones number in a big hat and pick the order that way..but i also dont want them using last years standings again because rangers only have that slim chance of getting crobsy.

NYRangers 11-30-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

I dont know where i was........but thanks for pointing that out. Wonder how the draft order would look like? I hope they dont just throw everyones number in a big hat and pick the order that way..but i also dont want them using last years standings again because rangers only have that slim chance of getting crobsy.

They said the order would have to be negotiated with the NHLPA

Kodiak 11-30-2004 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangers

article

Quote from the head of Central Scouting:
Quote:

If there were to be an agreement, say January '06, we would have a draft shortly after that time so that we'd have it prior to June '06 when the next draft is," Bonello said. "In other words, we would be very anxious to get a draft in so we don't miss it if that is the case.
The long and short of it is that it would not be legal to have a draft without a CBA. Even if, somehow (maybe a court order or the like), all 2005-eligible draftees were declared free agents, it would be pointless as all rosters were frozen once the lockout was declared. If there is an impasse and a new CBA implemented, and the draftees were declared free agents, no prospect that thought he might have a future in the NHL would sign.

So, in short, no CBA means no draft for a number of reasons.