HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Injury Report: Phil Kessel (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1159667)

Michael Gary Scott 04-09-2012 12:55 PM

Phil Kessel

Not sure if its thread worthy anymore, but Kessel had been playing with an injured wrist. Required a cortisone shot

Eb 04-09-2012 12:56 PM

Looks like he can't go to the WC! He must be so devastated..

SexyJoffreyLupul 04-09-2012 12:57 PM

explains the snakebite the last few games

Rare Jewel 04-09-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eb (Post 47608047)
Looks like he can't go to the WJC! He must be so devastated..

The world juniors?

Eb 04-09-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rare Jewel (Post 47608143)
The world juniors?

Lol edited thank you.

Doug Gilmour 04-09-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott (Post 47607983)
Not sure if its thread worthy anymore, but Kessel had been playing with an injured wrist. Required a cortisone shot

Cortisone shot? I have nothing good to say about those shots but that might be because of the doctor that did it.

All the best in the recovery Phil. 40 goals next year.

Dayjobdave 04-09-2012 01:04 PM

Not surprised at all. A few people were saying about 6 weeks ago that Kessel was passing where he previously would have shot.

Hopefully it's all ok for training camp

GalacticaActual 04-09-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eb (Post 47608047)
Looks like he can't go to the WC! He must be so devastated..

Does every thread have to have a snarky comment? Ugh.

thebluemachine* 04-09-2012 01:09 PM

A lot of people call him soft but Phil sounds like a trooper to me. He hasn't missed a single game in the last two seasons and even had to battle cancer early on in his career. He's a PPG player and 6th in the world in terms of production, that's a warrior imo.

Well done Phil.

hatterson 04-09-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebluemachine (Post 47608803)
A lot of people call him soft but Phil sounds like a trooper to me. He hasn't missed a single game in the last two seasons and even had to battle cancer early on in his career. He's a PPG player and 6th in the world in terms of production, that's a warrior imo.

Well done Phil.

He plays a soft game on the ice in terms of his willingness to go into the nasty areas of the ice or initiate contact, but there's zero chance you can call him soft off the ice.

Dude had cancer and major shoulder surgery and missed a combined total of 24 games

thebluemachine* 04-09-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatterson (Post 47609555)
He plays a soft game on the ice in terms of his willingness to go into the nasty areas of the ice or initiate contact, but there's zero chance you can call him soft off the ice.

Dude had cancer and major shoulder surgery and missed a combined total of 24 games

He plays more of a skill game which is what makes him what he is but I wouldn't call him soft. He's no power forward or much of a fighter but he's very durable imo, he also takes a lot of cheap shots on a nightly basis because opposing teams know he is our most dangerous player but he just keeps going. Phil has managed to do nothing but produce despite all the criticism he gets, it's very impressive and shows just how much talent and drive he really has.

TheLeastOfTheBunch 04-09-2012 01:45 PM

Explains his lack of goals scored in the last little while, although he had several great chances against Tampa, Buffalo, etc. Hopefully he hits the 40+ goal mark next season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebluemachine (Post 47608803)

Well done Phil.

Agreed.

Leafsman 04-09-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott (Post 47607983)

Why would they play him through an injury with nothing on the line. Seems pretty risky???????? Where was this reported?

SexyJoffreyLupul 04-09-2012 01:48 PM

Look, everyone knows how good Kessel is. 24/7 showed this blatantly. Coaches make it their duty to focus on kessel in every game. Yet he still is a PPG player, and is directly responsible for Lupul's and Bozak's career year. He doesn't bodycheck, but he's been backchecking a lot lately and he shows he cares a lot for this team. He doesn't do heavy work along the boards but thats not his game, and it shouldn't be. Hes a sniper for god sakes, why would you want him doing board play when he could be in the slot ready for a snipe off a feed?

Gberg 04-09-2012 01:55 PM

A cortisone shot for a team that clearly wasn't making the playoffs? To me, that shows toughness, and heart. Cortisone shots are not pleasant, and he probably had a lot of pain. He could've sat games out and quit, but he didn't.

leafsfuture 04-09-2012 02:11 PM

Phil Kessel isnt paid to go into corners. Phil Kessel is paid to score goals and put up points. He does that very well.

Remind me again how many games Kessel has missed since his Leaf debut? Then remind me again how many games Taylor Hall, a guy who is praised for going into corners, has missed

hdtrax 04-09-2012 02:15 PM

Explains why he made more passes in the last 5 weeks.

I've been struggling with a wrist injury for 12 weeks now, can only imagine how much worse it could be for a player like Kessel.

Swervin81 04-09-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leafsfuture (Post 47612613)
Phil Kessel isnt paid to go into corners. Phil Kessel is paid to score goals and put up points. He does that very well.

Remind me again how many games Kessel has missed since his Leaf debut? Then remind me again how many games Taylor Hall, a guy who is praised for going into corners, has missed

In all fairness to Hall, one injury was bad luck, and the other one was 100% Dorsett being a ******.

Still, I agree with the first paragraph.

Liminality 04-09-2012 02:26 PM

I really liked the video of the locker clean out with Kessel. He seemed pretty composed and seems more confident than he has in previous years. He's getting comfortable and used to all the media which obviously happens eventually but it's still nice to see.

Flowzak 04-09-2012 02:33 PM

This just made me respect Phil Kessel so much more.

BluePassenger94 04-09-2012 05:09 PM

I don't get all these people who want Kessel to start bodychecking guys and becoming a 'tougher'. Sure there are ways he can still improve his game but I for one don't want to see him throwing his body around because he won't be as good as he is at doing what he does best.

dougieg93 04-09-2012 05:16 PM

makes a lot of sense now, I thought how a pure sniper should usually go upstairs for the hell of it, but he seemed to shoot low over the past few weeks and hit a lot of pads.

Mansfield 04-09-2012 05:37 PM

interesting

Charizard 04-09-2012 10:05 PM

Man, I love Kessel.

Dude is a hero. Maybe it's just because of his personality, but you can see how much he cares about the Leafs, and how much he wants to win.

samwitch 04-09-2012 10:07 PM

Get him a centre