HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: Snow:expect no major changes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1159709)

CREW99AW 04-09-2012 12:50 PM

Snow:expect no major changes

Isles arena mess won't end until 2015.They will either be playing in a new local arena,be playing in a renovated Nassau Coliseum or will be sold and playing out of state.

Isles won't spend much above the cap floor until their arena situation is settled.

So,can we keep the isles budget restrictions in mind,when proposing trades?
The isles are not trading for $5m - $7m players. They are not trading for soon to be ufas,who will be looking for fat raises.

If the isles trade,it'll be for cheap young talent,several yrs from unrestricted free agency.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...keup-1.3649622

," Snow said Sunday. "I don't envision any big changes. We have one of the top prospect pools in the league and our core is a good, young group. It's about taking the next step with that core we have."

Without much of a free-agent crop to choose from, Snow could deal one or two of those prospects for an established, cost-effective player or hope some of the young players who got looks with the Islanders this season grow into more established roles by the end of next training camp. He's clearly hoping for more of the latter than giving up on any of the better prospects just yet.

InjuredChoker 04-09-2012 01:23 PM

Sucks for JT.

TOGuy14 04-09-2012 01:33 PM

Sad story for a once proud franchise.

Wang is determined to make the team a semi-laughingstock as he tries to pout his way to a new arena.

Even if they didn't have an internal cap limiting them it is doubtful any legitimate players would want to sign here.

boredmale 04-09-2012 01:38 PM

I don't think the Islanders need to sign any forwards to be honest(it would help but it's not a big need) but they really need to get 2 legit top 4 defensemen.

I keep hearing how it's great that our team leads the league in blocked shots, it's because the puck is in our end so damn much. You get defensemen who can clear the puck out of our zone our forwards will score more(and we probably also cut our injuries in half) all while our block shots stats will go down

IsleNmetFan4Life 04-09-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGuy14 (Post 47614031)

Wang is determined to make the team a semi-laughingstock as he tries to pout his way to a new arena.

Even if they didn't have an internal cap limiting them it is doubtful any legitimate players would want to sign here.

i wish we were only semi-laughingstocks.

RangerBoy 04-09-2012 01:51 PM

The Islanders gave Brock Nelson $1,925,000 in performance bonuses. $2,825,000 cap number.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2225

No wonder why he left school.

CREW99AW 04-09-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGuy14 (Post 47614031)

e.

Do you know how silly that sounds?Wang is trying to make his team a semi-laughingstock as he tries to pout his way to a new arena?

Wang's lost millions over the yrs with the team,wants to keep payroll as close to the cap floor as possible and will do so,by going with home grown youngsters.

Moulson-Tavares-??????
Bailey-Neilsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas-Martin

Isles will have Nino,Kabanov and Nelson in Bridgeport.
Strome either in juniors or on LI.Isles reportedly want to sign 23 yr old Petrov,now that his contract is up.

Isles secondary scores let them down:inconsistency from Grabner/KO/Bailey.

Streit/MacDonald/Hamonic will be joined by 1-2 of the Bridgeport kids:De Haan,Donovan,Ness and Katic.

Isles need a #4 and a #5 defenseman,so those rookies get only 3rd pairing minutes.

Nabokov/DiPietro/Poulin/Nilsson in net.

CREW99AW 04-09-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemisti (Post 47613335)
Sucks for JT.

Yes.I'm sure the isles being in the 4th yr of a major youth movement,comes as a total shock for 21 yr old Tavares.:sarcasm:

Ziggy Stardust 04-09-2012 02:48 PM

So I take it they'll be letting PA Parenteau walk as a free agent?

CREW99AW 04-09-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 47618413)
So I take it they'll be letting PA Parenteau walk as a free agent?

I read about 1-2 weeks ago,that they were gonna start up extension talks again.

I'm not sure how much good it will do.Isles have a tight budget and Parenteau wants a big deal.Isles have gotten some of their key players to take backloaded deals.I am wondering if Parenteau and his rep are balking,remembering how the last cba rolled back salaries.

Ziggy Stardust 04-09-2012 03:13 PM

I'm thinking that the offers Parenteau will likely get in the open market will far exceed that of any offer the Islanders will extend to him. The fact of the matter is that he is likely the 2nd or 3rd best free agent forward available to sign after Parise, and he's still in his prime at 29. I could see him getting close to or more than $4M on the open market.

Marlo Stanfield 04-09-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 47615423)
Yes.I'm sure the isles being in the 4th yr of a major youth movement,comes as a total shock for 21 yr old Tavares.:sarcasm:

No, but it does suck committing to a franchise who is not doing anything to help you and ultimately wasting your time.

gonzo11 04-09-2012 03:21 PM

this could be interesting

forthewild 04-09-2012 03:25 PM

From what i have read Wang has tried to get a new arena, was even willing to fund privately but cant.

For sake of argument

Say they sell out 41 games how much would wang make in profits? With current set up, he might be losing money even then

KrisBeKreame 04-09-2012 03:26 PM

Everyone is making more of a big deal over this than was intended. Snow has basicly said that even after the disappointing season, he will move foreward with the current core of the team. Esentially he not going to tear up the core and start over. Of course he will try to add players as he can but he does not forsee the big chemistry team altereing deals that some would expect from a team that just finished bottom 5 in the league. I bet you, we will see him try to retain PAP within reason, add a veteran D-man, Try to sign Petrov, try to extend Striet, and fix the 4th line.

Snow will do his diligance and attempt to sign big name players this offseason or try to trade for some upgrades but he is telling you upfront it wont be at the cost of what he deems his core.

Boondock 04-09-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 47615283)
Do you know how silly that sounds?Wang is trying to make his team a semi-laughingstock as he tries to pout his way to a new arena?

Wang's lost millions over the yrs with the team,wants to keep payroll as close to the cap floor as possible and will do so,by going with home grown youngsters.

Moulson-Tavares-??????
Bailey-Neilsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas-Martin

Isles will have Nino,Kabanov and Nelson in Bridgeport.
Strome either in juniors or on LI.Isles reportedly want to sign 23 yr old Petrov,now that his contract is up.

Isles secondary scores let them down:inconsistency from Grabner/KO/Bailey.

Streit/MacDonald/Hamonic will be joined by 1-2 of the Bridgeport kids:De Haan,Donovan,Ness and Katic.

Isles need a #4 and a #5 defenseman,so those rookies get only 3rd pairing minutes.

Nabokov/DiPietro/Poulin/Nilsson in net.

Not to be a total D*** but that line-up has 1 top line player, 2-3 top 6 forwards and a group of 2/3/4th line tweeners. Defence has 3 2nd pairing guys and some ????'s and average at best goal-tending. Without some fairly significant additions I can't see that team being competitive next season.

magic school bus 04-09-2012 03:29 PM

It might not be a bad idea to trade some of those prospects. The Sharks have one of the worst prospect pools in the league, but one of the better NHL teams (which one is more important? - obviously the NHL team is). Eventhough we haven't signed any UFA's, we have a playoff team because we turned picks and prospects into good NHL-ers via trades. NYI should consider doing something like that. Not all prospects pan out, so you don't have to feel too guilty for doing trading them away.

Kevin27nyi 04-09-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthewild (Post 47620553)
From what i have read Wang has tried to get a new arena, was even willing to fund privately but cant.

For sake of argument

Say they sell out 41 games how much would wang make in profits? With current set up, he might be losing money even then

He'd make a lot of money. He used to not be able to because concessions and parking went to SMG but the Isles bought them out for the rights to concessions and parking. Wang doesn't lose as much as he says.

Kevin27nyi 04-09-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boondock (Post 47620715)
Not to be a total D*** but that line-up has 1 top line player, 2-3 top 6 forwards and a group of 2/3/4th line tweeners. Defence has 3 2nd pairing guys and some ????'s and average at best goal-tending. Without some fairly significant additions I can't see that team being competitive next season.

Matt Moulson isn't a first liner yet?

I guess he has to get 40 goals then?

Boondock 04-09-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI (Post 47621007)
Matt Moulson isn't a first liner yet?

I guess he has to get 40 goals then?

I think Moulson has good chemistry with JT and without him I would be shocked if he was a 20/20 guy. This is just an opinion, but I wouldn't swap many other legit top 3 forwards for Moulson 1 for 1

belair 04-09-2012 03:41 PM

All things considered, GM Snow has done a fairly decent job securing his core in Long Island. With the Nabokov extension, he really set himself up well moving into the summer. If they're able to shore up a decent defensive core for October, there's no reason to count them out of the playoff race.

It's unfortunate that they aren't in any consideration for highly sought after UFAs, but honestly - Even if they had the dough available - Would they be a desirable destination in the first place?

If they see themselves in the playoff picture come Trade Deadline next season, it shouldn't be too difficult for them for them to acquire a couple pending UFAs at an affordable cost to gear up for a potential run.

rikker 04-09-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boondock (Post 47620715)

you are about right in your assessment. they've had trouble attracting UFA's, so they will be relying on their current group of youngins to take a step forward this coming year. if they can add a legitimate 1st liner to play with JT, and a couple of hard-nosed, decent defenceman, they should improve over this last year.

even with that (none of us Isles fans are holding our breaths), there is a chance that they will fight for a PO spot next year. not expecting to strike fear into their opponents, but hoping for a year in which their 'core group' takes a step forward...

Parenteau is a ?. he fit well with JT, but has lots of holes in his game. i bet that if they can retain him for $3m a year, short term, they will.

and for what it's worth, Moulson is (IMO) better than a 20/20 player. he is not exceptional at anything, but is solid in all aspects of the game. except for dropping the mitts. he don't do that...

Isles72 04-09-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame (Post 47620609)
Everyone is making more of a big deal over this than was intended. Snow has basicly said that even after the disappointing season, he will move foreward with the current core of the team. Esentially he not going to tear up the core and start over. Of course he will try to add players as he can but he does not forsee the big chemistry team altereing deals that some would expect from a team that just finished bottom 5 in the league. I bet you, we will see him try to retain PAP within reason, add a veteran D-man, Try to sign Petrov, try to extend Striet, and fix the 4th line.

Snow will do his diligance and attempt to sign big name players this offseason or try to trade for some upgrades but he is telling you upfront it wont be at the cost of what he deems his core.

thats pretty much how I feel too .
I think he should target the second tier of f/a d-men this year instead of going after the big fish. Someone like Bryan Allen comes to mind and maybe Vandermeer for some grit to compliment Streit,A-mac and Hamonic .

Kevin27nyi 04-09-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame (Post 47620609)

The problem is that we heard this last year.

Shrimper 04-09-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

"Snow said Sunday. "I don't envision any big changes. We have one of the top prospect pools in the league and our core is a good, young group. It's about taking the next step with that core we have."
That may be true but the Islanders have hardly been known as the best team to utilise players properly and whilst that could change with the likes of Strome and Nino coming through It remains to be seen.

How long will the Islanders fans take continually being at the bottom end though as they are proud hockey franchise but there's only so much a fan can take and if they're not expecting anything until 2015 it doesn't sound good for the future of the franchise. I don't expect them to move but should they fail to get that new arena I could see them playing out of state or in New York itself.