HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Worth Replacing Rusted Rivets? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1161871)

Dreadnaut 04-11-2012 01:38 PM

Worth Replacing Rusted Rivets?

Hi folks,

So I snagged myself a bit of a bargain (or so I thought) - I got Ovechkin edition CCM Vector 10s in my exact size for 40 (about $60).

They are fine, other than the guy didnt take very good care of them and probably never aired them after use. They are hardly scratched (not much wear) but all the rivets are rusty when I took the foot bed out.

Is it worth going to my LHS and getting them all replaced (still very cheap to do all of them)?

Will I have to buy a new holder, or will the same one be ok? Right now the holder is firmly mounted and none of the rivets show any strain under my weight, but I want to preempt any deterioration. Will the punching out of the old rivets compromise the existing holder or outsole in any way? I imagine having a rusty rivet will eventually damage the outsole so thats another reason I want to change them.

Should I wait till they fail (which could be months/years/never happen as I wont play any more hockey till I go back to study next september....they might survive longer) or should I just not risk the rest of the book structure and replace them now?

superhakan 04-11-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadnaut (Post 47735215)
Hi folks,

So I snagged myself a bit of a bargain (or so I thought) - I got Ovechkin edition CCM Vector 10s in my exact size for 40 (about $60).

They are fine, other than the guy didnt take very good care of them and probably never aired them after use. They are hardly scratched (not much wear) but all the rivets are rusty when I took the foot bed out.

Is it worth going to my LHS and getting them all replaced (still very cheap to do all of them)?

Will I have to buy a new holder, or will the same one be ok? Right now the holder is firmly mounted and none of the rivets show any strain under my weight, but I want to preempt any deterioration. Will the punching out of the old rivets compromise the existing holder or outsole in any way? I imagine having a rusty rivet will eventually damage the outsole so thats another reason I want to change them.

Should I wait till they fail (which could be months/years/never happen as I wont play any more hockey till I go back to study next september....they might survive longer) or should I just not risk the rest of the book structure and replace them now?

Get them replaced. Its a very simple process and pretty inexpensive. If the person knows anything about replacing rivets there will be no damage to the boot.

forbs02 04-11-2012 01:44 PM

If the holder doesn't move at all when you pull/twist it the rivets should be fine. When they start to loosen up get them replaced. They won't just break off all at once, you will have more warning that they are loose. If you want to do it for peace of mind rivets are generally $1/each to get replaced. That depends on the shop though. The coppers are probably fine and won't need to be replaced.

Replacing rivets does not compromise the holder or outsole.

Dreadnaut 04-11-2012 01:56 PM

fantastic, Ill get it done this weekend of peace of mind.

Thanks guys.

Fanned On It 04-11-2012 03:22 PM

I replace rivets at work (family owns a proshop) and replacing them definitely does not damage the boot/blade holder. Just make sure the guy doesn't punch them with too much pressure or the blade holder can get a little compressed, but even then, it's not really a big deal. If the person knows what he/she is doing then replacing them shouldn't take too long depending on how many they have to replace.

The reason why you should replace your rusted rivets is because over time they start to deteriorate and will end up falling out completely, leaving you with less support when you skate.

AIREAYE 04-11-2012 03:56 PM

Don't go full coppers either lol.