HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   If there is a season... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=116268)

Ola 12-02-2004 07:11 AM

If there is a season...

The season deadline is just around the corner. It doesnīt seem likely but there is a possibility that the NYR might play in less then a month. There are allot of holes in our lineup, last spring I was all for signing atleast 2-3 UFAīs to help the younger players into the NHL. But Iīve changed my opinion since then. Sure we could use a LW to play with Jagr but I donīt think there is anyone out there who makes any sense at this point. The defense is also far from perfect, but we already have 8-9 defensemenīs who are ready to play in the NHL, and guys like Liffiton on the farm who could be ready in a year or two.

This is how my D-pairings would be:
Kaspar-Poti //these two have to step up. And I belive they would...
Tyutin-Kondratiev //Makes allot of sense! :)
Rachunek-Lampman //I really like Lampman. He is a quality hockey player and it would IMO make more sense to play him in the NHL then Pöck at this time. Thomas could use a year in the minors.
Reserve: Strudwick.

The point with this season should IMO be to give as many young players as possible a oppertunity to play in the NHL and establish a platform and identity what the future NYR should be about. This will be impossible if we are blown out almost every game. Below Iīve constructed a line up that I personally belive would make us "enough" competetive. I belive that the first line is gooing to put us on the score board most nights. The second line should be able to generate some offense. If not Iīve overrated them. The 3rd(A) line with Betts is out there to work hard every night, and to create space for the other lines. I love the composition of the 3rd(B) line... The three of them is what the future Rangers is all about IMO.

1st line Nylander-Holik-Jagr
Allot of people are always screaming for that Holik should be used at the right position, as a shut down checking line center. Personally I donīt even see Holik as a typical checkingline center a lá Draper. I see Holik as a tremendous "balance" player. What Holik does best is to keep the puck ahead of him. He has very good positioning and timing, he goes into the right battles for the puck and wins them. Nylander is always all over the ice and Jagr wonīt take much defensive responsibility so I donīt see the point in putting someone like Moore or Wiseman on that line to clean up behind Nylander and Jagr...

2nd line Moore-Lundmark-Balej
These three should be able to develop some chemistry. In order for these guys to make it to the NHL they have to be able to take care of themselfs. All three work hard all over the ice and have enough speed to go around.

3A Wiseman-Betts-J. Green/Lacouture
Wiseman, Betts and Gernander are playing great in the AHL. I donīt expect much offense from this line. They have size and speed and would hard be to play against.

3B Murray-Helminen-Ortmayer
I would love to see these three together. I have high hopes for all three in the future. I belive that this line and the 2nd line will represent what the NYR future is all about. Hard work, speed and great attitude& "hockey smarts".

Firefly 12-02-2004 12:42 PM

I'd be happy watching and following the Pack for the rest of the year. Man, to be honest, I had forgotten all about Holik and Nylander. :help:

RFAN 12-02-2004 01:39 PM

Those lines are great...

if we want to get closer to a #1 pick next year! That top D pairing of putty and kasper, I can't even guess how many time a game they would get caught up ice. That would be painful to watch. If the season was shortened to say 40 games that line up would maybe win 10 games.
Well if Crosby really is the next one then I'm all for it! :dunno: :D

Bluenote13 12-02-2004 01:51 PM

There will be NO season. Sorry....

John Flyers Fan 12-02-2004 02:17 PM

Going all out for Sid, I presume. :dunno:

JR#9* 12-02-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Going all out for Sid, I presume. :dunno:

Why not?

This year, if there was to be one would be all about getting our young guys feet wet and the reality that we'd suck would be fine in that we are in need of high end draft picks to go along with the organization's depth that they've built up.

And if we can get a Brule or a Jack Johnson as a result of playing the kids then who'd better then us?The kid's get the much needed experience and we get to continue the rebuild with a couple of much needed top end guys for our future.

BDubinskyNYR17* 12-03-2004 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola
The season deadline is just around the corner. It doesnīt seem likely but there is a possibility that the NYR might play in less then a month. There are allot of holes in our lineup, last spring I was all for signing atleast 2-3 UFAīs to help the younger players into the NHL. But Iīve changed my opinion since then. Sure we could use a LW to play with Jagr but I donīt think there is anyone out there who makes any sense at this point. The defense is also far from perfect, but we already have 8-9 defensemenīs who are ready to play in the NHL, and guys like Liffiton on the farm who could be ready in a year or two.

This is how my D-pairings would be:
Kaspar-Poti //these two have to step up. And I belive they would...
Tyutin-Kondratiev //Makes allot of sense! :)
Rachunek-Lampman //I really like Lampman. He is a quality hockey player and it would IMO make more sense to play him in the NHL then Pöck at this time. Thomas could use a year in the minors.
Reserve: Strudwick.

The point with this season should IMO be to give as many young players as possible a oppertunity to play in the NHL and establish a platform and identity what the future NYR should be about. This will be impossible if we are blown out almost every game. Below Iīve constructed a line up that I personally belive would make us "enough" competetive. I belive that the first line is gooing to put us on the score board most nights. The second line should be able to generate some offense. If not Iīve overrated them. The 3rd(A) line with Betts is out there to work hard every night, and to create space for the other lines. I love the composition of the 3rd(B) line... The three of them is what the future Rangers is all about IMO.

1st line Nylander-Holik-Jagr
Allot of people are always screaming for that Holik should be used at the right position, as a shut down checking line center. Personally I donīt even see Holik as a typical checkingline center a lá Draper. I see Holik as a tremendous "balance" player. What Holik does best is to keep the puck ahead of him. He has very good positioning and timing, he goes into the right battles for the puck and wins them. Nylander is always all over the ice and Jagr wonīt take much defensive responsibility so I donīt see the point in putting someone like Moore or Wiseman on that line to clean up behind Nylander and Jagr...

2nd line Moore-Lundmark-Balej
These three should be able to develop some chemistry. In order for these guys to make it to the NHL they have to be able to take care of themselfs. All three work hard all over the ice and have enough speed to go around.

3A Wiseman-Betts-J. Green/Lacouture
Wiseman, Betts and Gernander are playing great in the AHL. I donīt expect much offense from this line. They have size and speed and would hard be to play against.

3B Murray-Helminen-Ortmayer
I would love to see these three together. I have high hopes for all three in the future. I belive that this line and the 2nd line will represent what the NYR future is all about. Hard work, speed and great attitude& "hockey smarts".

My lines would be something like this:
Prucha - Nylander - Jagr
Moore - Lundmark - Balej
Murray - Holik - Giroux
Helminen - Betts - Ortmeyer

Lampman - Poti
Kondratiev - Tyutin
Kasper -Rachunek

Son of Steinbrenner 12-03-2004 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
My lines would be something like this:
Prucha - Nylander - Jagr
Moore - Lundmark - Balej
Murray - Holik - Giroux
Helminen - Betts - Ortmeyer

Lampman - Poti
Kondratiev - Tyutin
Kasper -Rachunek

prucha????????????????????????????????????????????

i don't think he can be signed at this point and why would the rangers consider signing a small forward who hasn't scored ONE goal this season?

Brooklyn Ranger 12-03-2004 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
prucha????????????????????????????????????????????

i don't think he can be signed at this point and why would the rangers consider signing a small forward who hasn't scored ONE goal this season?

What's the big deal? Especially when it's been widely reported that Rucinsky will be signed to keep Jagr happy. Other than that, JOrtmeyer41's lineup uses the players in the system rather well. Not that they would win many games, but, that's another story all together.

BDubinskyNYR17* 12-03-2004 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
What's the big deal? Especially when it's been widely reported that Rucinsky will be signed to keep Jagr happy. Other than that, JOrtmeyer41's lineup uses the players in the system rather well. Not that they would win many games, but, that's another story all together.

Yea I totally forgot about Rucinsky but who knows if he will sign here since we are rebuilding.

ILuvHockey 12-03-2004 02:41 AM

They'd have to be really really bad to get Crosby.

Son of Steinbrenner 12-03-2004 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger

all i questioned was the signing of prucha. did you see my post anywhere the lineup makes no sense.

how do you even know signing ruchinsky would just make jagr happy? perhaps you don't remember last season and if you don't well let me refresh your memory. ruchinsky was one of the few rangers that showed up even when it was clear the team wasn't going to make the playoffs.

what kid would ruchinsky be blocking?

signing ruchinsky makes sense for the whole team not just one player.

Davisian 12-03-2004 10:42 AM

Ah hell, I'll try..

Ruchinsky- Nylander- Jagr

Giroux-Holik-Balej

Lundmark- Betts- LaCouture

Murray- Helminen- Ortmeyer

Tyutin-Poti

Rachunek- Kaspar

Polk- Lampman

BDubinskyNYR17* 12-03-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
Ah hell, I'll try..

Ruchinsky- Nylander- Jagr

Giroux-Holik-Balej

Lundmark- Betts- LaCouture

Murray- Helminen- Ortmeyer

Tyutin-Poti

Rachunek- Kaspar

Polk- Lampman

Id rather have Moore in the lineup than LaCouture although I do like LaCouture's effort, Moore is younger, and why Lundmark on the 3rd line???

Blueshirt13 12-03-2004 11:13 AM

My turn...

Rucinsky - Nylander - Jagr
Moore - Lundmark - Balej
Murray - Holik - Ortmeyer
Strudwick - Betts - Giroux

Kasper - Poti
Kondratiev - Tyutin
Lampman -Rachunek

Ola 12-03-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFAN
if we want to get closer to a #1 pick next year! That top D pairing of putty and kasper, I can't even guess how many time a game they would get caught up ice. That would be painful to watch. If the season was shortened to say 40 games that line up would maybe win 10 games.
Well if Crosby really is the next one then I'm all for it! :dunno: :D

Has there been a defensemen other then Leetch and Ulfie who has played decent hockey in NY?(Ok maybe Tamer& de Vries...) I donīt expect miracles from Kaspar but three years ago he was the top defensemen on a team that made it to the conference finals with shaky goaltending. Kaspar defenitley has more in him then what the team has allowed him to show the last couple of years...

If its anything that I would have expected the fans in NY to learn its that it isnīt the name on the back of the sweater which decides the outcome of a hockey game.

The biggest problem is that that line up would have no chemistry together. There would be what, 2 players on that lineup who played 2 full seasons in NY? Sure the defense is soft, but a team like Detroit have had allot of success with their puckmoving defense. The problem for Renney is that he has allot of defensemens who are good at moving the puck, but that doesnīt mean that he has a defense thats good at moving the puck. It takes chemistry for that.

Davisian 12-03-2004 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Id rather have Moore in the lineup than LaCouture although I do like LaCouture's effort, Moore is younger, and why Lundmark on the 3rd line???

For balance.

I like Lundmark on the left wing, and I wanted to split up some brawn/defensive player with some mor etalented players.

True Blue 12-03-2004 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola
Has there been a defensemen other then Leetch and Ulfie who has played decent hockey in NY?(Ok maybe Tamer& de Vries...)

1. Beuk
2. James Patrick
3. Zubie

There are more, but that is just of the top of my head.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 12-03-2004 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
1. Beuk
2. James Patrick
3. Zubie

There are more, but that is just of the top of my head.

Kevin Lowe was good.

Doug Lidster was an underrated Ranger defenseman.

Heck, the Rangers won a Cup with Jay Wells.

True Blue 12-03-2004 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Kevin Lowe was good.

Doug Lidster was an underrated Ranger defenseman.

Heck, the Rangers won a Cup with Jay Wells.

Agreed. Lidster, as a whole, had a very underrated career. Jay Wells is exactly the type of defensman that we have been preaching for for the past 7 years. Tough as nails, mean as any, always clearing away bodies from the crease before, during, and after the whistle, and knew that rushing up ice was not his fortay so he just stayed at home.

drewcon40 12-03-2004 01:30 PM

Doug Lidster. I loved it when MSG would do the matching headshots of Doug Lidster and Jerry Seinfeld. MSG was so much fun back then from successful Ranger and Knicks teams to even the network and the content it was allowed to broadcast. Bob Page was great! Even during the Ranger broadcasts, JD and Sam would honestly state their opinion and thoughts.

I pulled out some old tapes of the early 90s Rangers and was listening to some commentary while watching.

For example:
I have a tape of Tie Domi fights. During an altercation, Bill Chadwick happens to be a guest commentator with Sam and JD and as the fight winds down, JD mentions that Joey Kocur should be back from an injury. Chadwick says something to the effect of "Do we really need this type of hockey player?" And JD was poking fun saying that he is going to give Kocur, Chadwick's number and Chadwick just finished off by saying "he could bever play for me." I started to think of how Dolan treated Marv Albert this past year. I also was watching highlights of the Quebec/Rangers 1995 playoff series. At one point, Nedved was out with Kovalev and JD said 'You know who would be a perfect fit for this line Sam? Esa Tikkanen'. (who was playing for St. Louis at the time). Imagine if JD tried to make a suggestion on a current MSG broadcast? In the same game he stated that the Rangers really must get a checking center like Bob Bassen or Joel Otto in the off season. Anyway, the rebroadcasts of 1994 and all has me missing, not only NHL hockey, but the way it was back then.

Fletch 12-03-2004 01:53 PM

Consistently good?

Almost none. Beuk had a few good seasons, then sucked the two years after signing a new contract, and excelled as a third pair option. Lowe played very well for a couple seasons, then got old. Zubov was mentioned, and I agree. Samuelsson, I thought, was quite good his entire tenure. Potsy had one really good season when paired with Ulfie going against top lines. Injuries (or faux injuries) did him in). Lefebvre had a decent 3/4 of a season. And there have been a few others.

Loved Jay Wells, TB. Another guy I really liked was Mark Hardy. I remember him standing up for one of his teammates, getting his but kicked by I believe Rob Ray, or maybe it was Brad May, face all blodied, but he wasn't really a fighter, but stuck up for his teammate. Showed a real lot of guts to me [that same game Graves stood up on the bench and yelled at his teammates for the lack of passion, after Hardy got his butt kick].

On the side of career AHLers never given a chance, I actually liked what Brennan did as a Ranger.

drewcon40 12-03-2004 02:03 PM

Flecth - I liked Mark Hardy too. I remember the Rangers at Pittsburgh and there was a scuffle. Beukeboom had Peter Taglianetti pinned to the ice but Mark Hardy beat the tar out of Phil Bourque (they would be teammates the following season). Hardy wasn't a true enforcer (we had Kocur, Domi, and King that year!) but did "drop the gloves" like Beuke and Graves used to.

Fletch 12-03-2004 02:17 PM

Phil Bourque...

always got his butt kicked! But, he kept coming. I remember him getting his butt kicked by Malakhov, which wasn't pretty.

Kodiak 12-03-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
always got his butt kicked! But, he kept coming. I remember him getting his butt kicked by Malakhov, which wasn't pretty.

Malakhov could kick pretty much anyone's butt if he felt like it. If he didn't have all of his ungodly talent and had to make his living as an enforcer, Malakhov could've been a top heavyweight in this league.