HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bob and Gary to meet! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=116308)

Internet King 12-02-2004 11:06 AM

Bob and Gary to meet!

Link

FLYLine24 12-02-2004 11:08 AM

GREAT NEWS. Once again the NHLPA had to make the FIRST STEP. Hes a better link http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...99&hubName=nhl

Son of Steinbrenner 12-02-2004 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
GREAT NEWS. Once again the NHLPA had to make the FIRST STEP. Hes a better link http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...99&hubName=nhl

who cares who made the first step :shakehead

funny you don't kill the union for flat out lying to the fans about no new proposal.

Internet King 12-02-2004 11:16 AM

I'm happy as hell. Don't let them out of the room.

FLYLine24 12-02-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
who cares who made the first step :shakehead

funny you don't kill the union for flat out lying to the fans about no new proposal.

Why Would I? What does that have to do with anything? The fact is they DO have a new proposal. So if your mad that they lied about not having a new proposal and your pissed at them for having a new proposal..i ask this..r u even a hockey fan?

Levitate 12-02-2004 11:28 AM

the important thing will be if the league will even try to work with the new proposal (providing that it is a decent proposal) or will just reject everything outright

if the proposal has it's good points and can be used to build on...the league should do that and not maintain it's hardline stance

Son of Steinbrenner 12-02-2004 11:28 AM

Quote:

Why Would I? What does that have to do with anything? The fact is they DO have a new proposal. So if your mad that they lied about not having a new proposal and your pissed at them for having a new proposal..i ask this..r u even a hockey fan?

somebody that has a screen name after a scoring line that had a great two week run 3 years ago shouldn't be asking anybody if they are a fan :lol

BTW I'm posting on a hockey message board in December during an NHL lockout if that doesn't tell you that obviously I'm a fan than what does?

if you can't find the irony in goodenow not telling the truth about a new proposal than i don't know what to tell you. i'm happy they are meeting and i hope the players get as much as they can out of this but i have yet to see you come up with any argument other than bettmen sucks and the union is right.

FLYLine24 12-02-2004 11:33 AM

Yes Goodenow lied to the public for Kicks!
Do you know anything about a buisness at all? Sometimes you have to do things to prevent things...the UNFISINSHED proposal was already LEAKING out so he wanted to STOP that from happening..he had to lie and by doing that he did stop the UNFINISHED proposal from leaking out even more. But no..just keep thinking Goodeman lied to everyone for kicks. :rolleyes:

Son of Steinbrenner 12-02-2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

Yes Goodeman lied to the public for Kicks!
Do you know anything about a buisness at all? Sometimes you have to do things to prevent things...the UNFISINSHED proposal was already LEAKING out so he wanted to STOP that from happening..he had to lie and by doing that he did stop the UNFISHED proposal from leaking out even more. But no..just keep thinking Goodeman lied to everyone for kicks.

why not say "we are working on something but to speculate would be premature"

asking "do you know anything about public relations?"

that would have been the better question.

this isn't just about business its about PR.

btw his name is Goodenow not Goodeman. Turn Rosanne off :lol

FLYLine24 12-02-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
btw his name is Goodenow not Goodeman. Turn Rosanne off :lol

Alright..that was funny ill give you that. lol. Im getting too into this this....time to take a break. :)

Onion Boy 12-02-2004 12:01 PM

I don't see where it says they're going to meet. Is there a guarantee that Bettman will respond?

I think he will, but I doubt he and his cronies with take any NHLPA proposal under serious consideration.

Fletch 12-02-2004 12:14 PM

There likely will be a response this time...

the Union will tighten up its offer a bit, will not include a cap, and Bettman will again say if there is no 'cost certainty', i.e., a cap, there will be no agreement.

Son of Steinbrenner 12-02-2004 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
the Union will tighten up its offer a bit, will not include a cap, and Bettman will again say if there is no 'cost certainty', i.e., a cap, there will be no agreement.

i'm sure that will happen but the presure is on bettman to counter with something. perhaps goodenow has come to his senses and will come up with a decent proposal not the same one he handed in twice.

Fletch 12-02-2004 01:04 PM

Bettman doesn't feel the need...

or the pressure to counter. Bettman won't counter until the NHLPA buys off on 'cost certainty'. As a negotiator, he looks week countering to an offer that to him, isn't on the same page as the league. What's he going to do, up his salary cap as a counter to a totally different concept. While I hate Bettman, I believe he's bargaining as best he can to get what he wants - and I believe he intends to wait it out until the NHLPA comes around on the cap idea. If the NHLPA say $50 million cap, Bettman may then feel the need to counter with something. He's holding firm ground, which is what he has to do. It's Bettman's last stand.

Levitate 12-02-2004 01:08 PM

if the lockout destroys hockey, i think bettman is screwed anyways.

FLYLine24 12-02-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate
if the lockout destroys hockey, i think bettman is screwed anyways.

All this waiting that Bettman will do WILL destroy hockey. Hes just not smart enough to understand that..maybe in a year or 2 he will understand but not anytime soon. :shakehead

Fletch 12-02-2004 01:33 PM

Bettman does understand that...

but he wants the onus to be on the players and most actually favor Bettman and the owners. So in his mind, everybody's forgotten how they got here, and are just blaming it on greedy million star, primma donna players who have taken advantage of the billionaire individuals and multi-billion corporations.

Balej20* 12-02-2004 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
but he wants the onus to be on the players and most actually favor Bettman and the owners. So in his mind, everybody's forgotten how they got here, and are just blaming it on greedy million star, primma donna players who have taken advantage of the billionaire individuals and multi-billion corporations.

I think it's natural for most people to be against the players in this situation, due to the amount of money a lot of these guys make. We naturally look at them as greedy. Most people question the need for a "union" when you're already making so much money and arent getting screwed over in anyway. Personally, i feel most unions now adays are unneccessary. most people have forgotten what unions were created for in the first place. But thats another topic for another day.

And you're right, most people have forgotten how we got here. Lets hope this ends soon, but lets get it done correctly, i dont want just a quick fix.

Leetchie 12-02-2004 01:59 PM

This board has gotten out of hand with personal attacks. :shakehead

NYR2 12-02-2004 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leetchie
This board has gotten out of hand with personal attacks. :shakehead

Seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Internet King
I'm happy as hell. Don't let them out of the room.

Amen to that!

Oh man, I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but I can't help it. I just hope this turns out good.

FLYLine24 12-02-2004 02:44 PM

Someone from another team board said on "THE FAN" they said that the NHL was going to propose another proposal also....i have no confirmation on this though so im not sure if its true.

Balej20* 12-02-2004 03:12 PM

Quote:

Someone from another team board said on "THE FAN" they said that the NHL was going to propose another proposal also....i have no confirmation on this though so im not sure if its true.

I heard it on the fan while listening to Mike and the Dog

Onion Boy 12-02-2004 05:50 PM

With regard to Bettman's job security, I'd be surprised if he's still commish when hockey actually resumes. (Same may be for Goodenow).