HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rinaldo or ben holmstrom? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1164101)

Flyguy_1ca 04-13-2012 12:09 PM

Rinaldo or ben holmstrom?
 
In a playoff series (ie. little to no fighting) what is it that Rinaldo brings that a guy like Ben Holmstrom doesn't? It just feels to me that a guy like Holmstrom would actually provide more to help you win in the playoffs than Rinaldo. Holmstrom is captain of the phantoms I believe, can kill penalties, good skater, is physical, has more scoring ability than Rinaldo with an in game injury he could move up the lineup easier than rinaldo......I guess I just don't see what Rinaldo brings to counter that?

FreshPerspective 04-13-2012 12:16 PM

Well we could have both especially if we go with BP1974 pre-playoff suggestion to replace Briere....:sarcasm:

thelos 04-13-2012 12:19 PM

Rinaldo is fine for now, he is a placeholder for JVR

Flyersfan1493 04-13-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyguy_1ca (Post 47899711)
In a playoff series (ie. little to no fighting) what is it that Rinaldo brings that a guy like Ben Holmstrom doesn't? It just feels to me that a guy like Holmstrom would actually provide more to help you win in the playoffs than Rinaldo. Holmstrom is captain of the phantoms I believe, can kill penalties, good skater, is physical, has more scoring ability than Rinaldo with an in game injury he could move up the lineup easier than rinaldo......I guess I just don't see what Rinaldo brings to counter that?

He "hits hard." That's it. I would rather see Holmstrom also.

BernieParent 04-13-2012 12:22 PM

The one (only?) advantage Rinaldo has over Holmstrom is more NHL games played this season. He is potentially more used to the speed of the NHL game. Is that a criterion to choose him over Holmstrom? I wouldn't dig my heels in, but I'm just looking for counterpoints.

Haute Couturier 04-13-2012 12:51 PM

I don't think he brings anything over Holmstrom. When JVR is healthy I hope Wellwood gets to stay in the lineup over Rinaldo.

FreshPerspective 04-13-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 47900259)
The one (only?) advantage Rinaldo has over Holmstrom is more NHL games played this season. He is potentially more used to the speed of the NHL game. Is that a criterion to choose him over Holmstrom? I wouldn't dig my heels in, but I'm just looking for counterpoints.

Lavy seems to like Rinaldo though saying he expects an expanded role with him next year...that certainly helps but obviously dumb Carcillo-like penalties won't...

teegale 04-13-2012 01:05 PM

I'd almost rather they sit Rinaldo. He doesn't do a whole lot other than get called for dumb penalties. The refs have made it clear that don't want him so much as breathing on an opposing player. Seems senseless to start him when the negatives outweigh the positives.

BillDineen 04-13-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 47900163)
He "hits hard." That's it. I would rather see Holmstrom also.

Yes, but his hits are bone crunching. In the third when Malkin was on the ice and Schenn was close, he hesitated and circled back (around 14min). Having Rinaldo on the line with Couturier and Talbot adds that element. One big Rinaldo hit on either Malkin or Crosby and no one would be asking for Holmstrom.

YuioIklo 04-13-2012 03:35 PM

Rinaldo can bring a lot of energy by fighting, hiting hard, etc. It can be useful in the POs. But when JVR comes back, I'd rather see Rinaldo siting than Wellwood.

Protest 04-13-2012 03:39 PM

Holmstrom is the safer choice. Rinaldo adds the threat of taking stupid penalties, or being called for something that isn't a penalty. He also adds the element of possibly murdering someone, so you take the good with the bad I guess.

I don't see him staying dressed when JvR gets back though. There's no way you can sit Wellwood.

Alchemy 04-13-2012 03:44 PM

The time Holmstrom was up he really wasn't that good.
Don't know where this Holmstrom love is coming from.

When JVR gets back hopefully Rinaldo sits. They will probably rotate him and Wellwood depending on the matchup we get.

Xegiie 04-13-2012 03:59 PM

didn't see much of Holmstrom due to work and time zones:s, can not tell, but i'm not fan of Rinaldo

TheDrizzle81 04-13-2012 04:09 PM

Rinaldo is Dan Carcillo with hockey skill. In a series like this his toughness could be a valuable asset, but rinaldo can play the game. Holmstrom has barely played and provides little to the table at this time. Very easy decision to play rinaldo

Snipsnap12 04-13-2012 04:28 PM

Rinaldo at least will keep some guys honest, and he is one of those guys that can get into the head of players on the other team and put doubt in the back of their minds when they are on the ice against him. When you are on the ice and you know there is someone out there trying to wallpaper you it can effect guys mentally.

sobrien 04-13-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YuioIklo (Post 47909271)
Rinaldo can bring a lot of energy by fighting, hiting hard, etc. It can be useful in the POs. But when JVR comes back, I'd rather see Rinaldo siting than Wellwood.

Yeah but when do you fight in the playoffs? The best thing Rinaldo has going for him is that he's fast, and plays ok defense when he wants to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 (Post 47910683)
Rinaldo is Dan Carcillo with hockey skill. In a series like this his toughness could be a valuable asset, but rinaldo can play the game. Holmstrom has barely played and provides little to the table at this time. Very easy decision to play rinaldo

Carcillo had much more skill than Rinaldo. He was just more of a lunatic.

pelts35.com 04-13-2012 05:41 PM

I'd much rather see Holmstrom. I get the feeling that whenever Rinaldo steps on the ice the refs are just looking for a reason to call a penalty on him and the last thing we need are unnecessary penalties.

Appleyard 04-13-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobrien (Post 47913231)
Yeah but when do you fight in the playoffs? The best thing Rinaldo has going for him is that he's fast, and plays ok defense when he wants to.



Carcillo had much more skill than Rinaldo. He was just more of a lunatic.

Carcillo would have be a +40 point scorer if his main interests in hockey were not:

a. Fighting
b. Maiming
c. Injuring
d. Being Reckless
e. Being a nut-job

The guy had some silky hands when his metacarpals and knuckles were in the right place.

GKJ 04-13-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 (Post 47910683)
Rinaldo is Dan Carcillo with hockey skill. In a series like this his toughness could be a valuable asset, but rinaldo can play the game. Holmstrom has barely played and provides little to the table at this time. Very easy decision to play rinaldo

Dan Carcillo is Zac Rinaldo with hockey skill. Not the other way around.

RoDu 04-13-2012 06:47 PM

Rinaldo is the better skater and hitter. The end. Probably has better control of his emotions too

pelts35.com 04-13-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 47919175)
Rinaldo is the better skater and hitter. The end. Probably has better control of his emotions too

Absolutely not. The two posts above you are spot on. In juniors Carcillo was a point a game player, Rinaldo never even came close.

RoDu 04-13-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 47927065)
Absolutely not. The two posts above you are spot on. In juniors Carcillo was a point a game player, Rinaldo never even came close.

I nevr commented on RInaldo's hockey skills, he skates like the wind, which give him tremednous hitting power. Carcillo's skating is average at best

StandingCow 04-13-2012 09:40 PM

Rinaldo has skill... the problem isn't really him, it is the target on his back...

Spongolium* 04-13-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 47918097)
Dan Carcillo is Zac Rinaldo with hockey skill. Not the other way around.

:laugh: residential Rinaldo hater spotted. Which one isn't being scratched in the play-offs again?

GKJ 04-13-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 47943421)
:laugh: residential Rinaldo hater spotted. Which one isn't being scratched in the play-offs again?

Residential Rinaldo lover spotted. He's played just over 10 minutes in the series. He may as well be scratched. Carcillo wasn't much better, but he was better. Rinaldo skates better and hits better only because his hits are louder (which mattered 15 years ago, but not really anymore, except to Big Ed). Carcillo could actually work the front of the net and on the boards in addition to getting physical in scoring positions, and win fights (which doesn't matter as much anymore, but it does to Big Ed).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.