HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Suggestions for the Power Play? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1164141)

11MilesPerJohan 04-13-2012 01:18 PM

Suggestions for the Power Play?

The Bruins had a chance to change the complexion of the game early on when they had multiple power play chances (one a 4 minute pp, albeit spread out over the 1st and 2nd periiod). Even though they won the cup last year with a mostly abysmal power play, I still think improvement on the unit will go along way towards their chances of repeating. Here are some things I would like to see done differently, wondering what you all think as well:

1A: The Personnel

I would like to see the personnel for the first power play unit to be the following:

Left Point: Seguin (more on that in a second)

Right Point: Chara-Still like his shot more than any other D man on the team, has some decent insticts as far as when to find an open passing lane and attack the net

Left Boards: Bergeron-Great play maker, terrific at protecting the puck, creating space and passing lanes

RIght Boards/net front/corner: Marchand-Think he is one of the more skilled guys on the team and would like to see him get more time on the power play in general

Net front/corner: Lucic- Best on the team at creating a screen in front, quick release on shot and hard to move out of the way

1B: More ice time for #1 Unit

I would like to see the number one power play unit, preferably the one I just mentioned, get the majority of the 2 minutes. Right now, it is pretty much split evenly between the two units, and I think it is more difficult for one unit to get anything going on the man advantage. There are times where one unit is working the puck well, and then they are taken off in favor of the other. Put your best players on the ice and keep them there.

2: Seguin on the Point

I feel like putting Seguin at the point will best use his ability to see the ice, while still making him a threat to shoot the puck, walk down towards the goal, or find the seam and head to the net for a one timer. Right now, because the Bruins generally just work the puck between the man on the half boards and the point, teams are pinning him up against the wall...I think working at the point would give him a bit more space. He basically is able to do what Peverly was doing before he got hurt, just better.

3. Work the Puck Down Low

As mentioned above, their tendency to work the puck the majority of the time between the man on the half boards and the point, and take the majority of their shots from the point, allows teams to section off that part of the ice, not respecting the lower portions of the zone. I feel like whoever that guy is in front of the net needs to release and come down low if the puck is on his side, and they need to use that behind the net area more often. Make the PK unit defend more of the ice and create more space for your playmakers up top.

Thoughts...

Bruinsfan_37 04-13-2012 01:19 PM

Chara needs to be on the pp, the Caps are letting the D shoot so either big Z plays the point on the pp or you put him in front of the net. Corvo and Seidenberg is not happening

SpokedLightning 04-13-2012 01:24 PM

Only suggestion I can make for the PP is ******* SCORE!!

nonoffensiveusername 04-13-2012 01:24 PM

Meh, we won a cup without a powerplay. I'm not gonna get bent out of shape over it.

Topshelf8188 04-13-2012 01:30 PM

Try 5 forwards? Idk, I'd try anything. At some point they have to cash in on one of these chances.

TMac21 04-13-2012 01:32 PM

If they could create that opportunity for Seguin that Ovy got when Timmy stoned him we would be in business.

Bone for your jar 04-13-2012 01:35 PM

Electroshock therapy.

11MilesPerJohan 04-13-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMac21 (Post 47903375)
If they could create that opportunity for Seguin that Ovy got when Timmy stoned him we would be in business.

Yeah...well he seems to be open for that opportunity on the half boards, but we don't always get him the puck. I am starting to think that Seidenberg might be blind in his left eye, because I can't count the number of times Seguin is sitting there wide open, with his stick cocked, and Seids takes a contested shot on net.

Central Scrutinizer 04-13-2012 01:41 PM

Movement,urgency,and traffic in front of the net.

panny2727 04-13-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topshelf8188 (Post 47903279)
Try 5 forwardsk? Idk, I' try anything. At some point they have to cash in on one of these chances.

then we let up shorty's, no thanks. get corvo off either group and all will be well. he should not be handling the puck on the pp. Useless!!!
Krejci, chara, seids, seguin, peverly, and rolston should be working it up high. marchy and bergy can go high or low but i like them down low. lucic in front, and put kelly in front. corvo doesn't have the ability to create and the pp gets completely fudged up

IrishPaulie 04-13-2012 01:48 PM

Work the puck high to low. The Caps are really trying to take away that point shot. Get the puck to the point, then have the D-man draw the defender and then get the puck back down low and work a quick play while the Caps are out numbered down low. The B's also need to be more aggressive from the halfboards. Start attacking the net.

Topshelf8188 04-13-2012 01:52 PM

I like Ference on the point on the PP...he's mobile enough and hits the net more often than not. I'd only try the 5 forwards if, and this is a big if, they were up by 2 or 3 goals. Even then it is still a little too risky.

Lam7825 04-13-2012 01:55 PM

Keep it moving. Nothing fancy either. It will happen. I'd feel a lot better with Corvo on the bench the whole time too. Roll Pevs, Rols, Bergy on the points with Z and Seids. The boys up front will get the job done. Just keep moving.

Hey, I seem to recall this same team won something called the Stanley Cup with a lousy power play. Must be something to that. ;)

Spooner st 04-13-2012 02:13 PM

And the 3 winners are...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone for your jar (Post 47903471)
Electroshock therapy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer (Post 47903755)
Movement,urgency,and traffic in front of the net.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishPaulie (Post 47904119)
Work the puck high to low. The Caps are really trying to take away that point shot. Get the puck to the point, then have the D-man draw the defender and then get the puck back down low and work a quick play while the Caps are out numbered down low. The B's also need to be more aggressive from the halfboards. Start attacking the net.

CamFan81 04-13-2012 02:17 PM

one timers and traffic, one timers and traffic...

catching a pass in your feet, to your stick and wristing it on net does nothing. Lanes are clogged up.

Chara has a freakin 110 mph slapper.. Use it, and don't let up. Give people reasons to not want to get in front of that thing. You clip a few brave souls and they wont be so quick to get infront of you

Watch the movement on nashville's PP with weber. And chara has a bigger bomb than him

Numbah4 04-13-2012 03:11 PM

David Krejci has to be on it. I'd go with the Bergeron, Marchand and Seguin line. With Bergy dropping to the point. Chara on the other point. Puck possession in the offensive zone is a big problem. Marchand is probably our best stick-handler. That's why I want him out there. Need more movement once we have the puck. Not just dump it in and blast away. That's archaic. Get Seidenberg and Peverly off of the first unit.

11MilesPerJohan 04-13-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishPaulie (Post 47904119)

Those are both good points...it seems like they are constantly working for shots from the point, which are fine, but they should also be looking for various one timers, cross crease passes, back door with the D, etc...you're on the power play, you are supposed to work the PK for a terrific scoring chance. The forward attacking the net and shooting would also open up more space.

chizzler 04-13-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg4167 (Post 47902691)
The Bruins had a chance to change the complexion of the game early on when they had multiple power play chances (one a 4 minute pp, albeit spread out over the 1st and 2nd periiod). Even though they won the cup last year with a mostly abysmal power play, I still think improvement on the unit will go along way towards their chances of repeating. Here are some things I would like to see done differently, wondering what you all think as well:

1A: The Personnel

I would like to see the personnel for the first power play unit to be the following:

Left Point: Seguin (more on that in a second)

Right Point: Chara-Still like his shot more than any other D man on the team, has some decent insticts as far as when to find an open passing lane and attack the net

Left Boards: Bergeron-Great play maker, terrific at protecting the puck, creating space and passing lanes

RIght Boards/net front/corner: Marchand-Think he is one of the more skilled guys on the team and would like to see him get more time on the power play in general

Net front/corner: Lucic- Best on the team at creating a screen in front, quick release on shot and hard to move out of the way

1B: More ice time for #1 Unit

I would like to see the number one power play unit, preferably the one I just mentioned, get the majority of the 2 minutes. Right now, it is pretty much split evenly between the two units, and I think it is more difficult for one unit to get anything going on the man advantage. There are times where one unit is working the puck well, and then they are taken off in favor of the other. Put your best players on the ice and keep them there.

2: Seguin on the Point

I feel like putting Seguin at the point will best use his ability to see the ice, while still making him a threat to shoot the puck, walk down towards the goal, or find the seam and head to the net for a one timer. Right now, because the Bruins generally just work the puck between the man on the half boards and the point, teams are pinning him up against the wall...I think working at the point would give him a bit more space. He basically is able to do what Peverly was doing before he got hurt, just better.

3. Work the Puck Down Low

As mentioned above, their tendency to work the puck the majority of the time between the man on the half boards and the point, and take the majority of their shots from the point, allows teams to section off that part of the ice, not respecting the lower portions of the zone. I feel like whoever that guy is in front of the net needs to release and come down low if the puck is on his side, and they need to use that behind the net area more often. Make the PK unit defend more of the ice and create more space for your playmakers up top.

Thoughts...

how about 5 forwards cycling around the the whole area with no particular spot, that way the opposing team can't focus on one particular player.

LoneWolf54 04-13-2012 03:21 PM

Needs more Zach Parise.

Kiss My Rask 04-13-2012 03:22 PM

Dear Claude, Here's a pro tip, PLAY YOUR BEST PLAYERS ON THE PP. THERES NO EXCUSE FOR SEGUIN AND CHARA NOT TO BE ON THE 4-3!

Signed,

a fan

Actp 04-13-2012 03:24 PM

1 Put Chara back on the first unit. His hand might not allow him to shoot at full capacity but it is foolish to have him on the second unit.
2. Keep Covo off the PP because he, well, you know, completely sucks.
3. Put Ference on the point. He doesnt have a threatening shot but he is smart about when to use it.
4 Get Pevs off the point. His shot is not threatening. put Bergeron on the left and switch Sedenberg to the right.. Bergy's decisions are not great but better than Pevs They are a d short......Sure about the first two suggestions though.

Causeway 04-13-2012 03:24 PM

The fact that Corvo was out there unleashing bomb after bomb into Holtby's chest logo while Chara was watching from the bench irked the hell out of me.

Let's start there...

Boston Bruno 04-13-2012 03:27 PM

Ignore power play unit structure - roll 4 lines. Give everyone a chance. 35 second shifts, chip it in deep, change it up. Screw man advantages. Pretend it is 5 on 5.

Fopppa 04-13-2012 03:29 PM

As I see it, they're looking too hard for specific openings (be it a shot or pass) and as a result often hang on to the puck for too long once they find space. More quicker, longer passes in succession that force the pk:ers to move is what creates real openings.

11MilesPerJohan 04-13-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chizzler (Post 47908505)
how about 5 forwards cycling around the the whole area with no particular spot, that way the opposing team can't focus on one particular player.

Hmmmmmmmmm.......well that would certainly be something different...