HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   jordin tootoo (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=116580)

gangstajerome 12-03-2004 09:39 PM

jordin tootoo

has anyone been watching jordin tootoo much this season? how is he developing?
is he ready for the nhl?

barrytrotzsneck 12-04-2004 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gangstajerome
is he ready for the nhl?

he's not really developing offensively like the preds would hope, falling more back into his agitator role. we'll see, though.

i'd say that he's ready for the NHL, given that he's already played a season there. I personally don't see the NEED for him to be an offensive contributor. His speciality is knocking opponents off their game, and he does that well, so why not leave it at that?

gretzky2kurri 12-04-2004 01:17 AM

Quote:

is he ready for the nhl?

He's kinda sucked. Seen him play twice this year. Didn't even look like he belonged in the AHL. 3 measly points so far this season.

Runs around like an idiot. Jumps players and lands 4 punches before his opponents even know there's a fight.

He's a "one trick pony".

barrytrotzsneck 12-04-2004 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
He's kinda sucked. Seen him play twice this year. Didn't even look like he belonged in the AHL. 3 measly points so far this season.

Runs around like an idiot. Jumps players and lands 4 punches before his opponents even know there's a fight.

He's a "one trick pony".

Maybe Nashville could trade for beloved renaissance man "Gorgeous" Georges Laraque to help him round out his game? ;)

Enoch 12-04-2004 01:28 AM

Quote:

He's a "one trick pony".

Couldn't wait to see you show up. Maybe we should mention that those two games you saw, were against your beloved Edmonton Roadrunners.....Needless to say, Tootoo was not the nicest opponent.

gretzky2kurri 12-04-2004 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
Couldn't wait to see you show up. Maybe we should mention that those two games you saw, were against your beloved Edmonton Roadrunners.....Needless to say, Tootoo was not the nicest opponent.

Oh Tootoo was great. A hero.

A Wendle Clark without the goals, the hits........or even the bloody puck.

Pretty efficient at jumping players when they're not looking too.

gretzky2kurri 12-04-2004 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
Maybe Nashville could trade for beloved renaissance man "Gorgeous" Georges Laraque to help him round out his game? ;)

Funny though that George has already had more NHL seasons than Toots will ever have.

But I will say that little Toots is sure gaining alot of respect from other pro hockey players. Pretty honorable hockey player.

LadyJet26 12-04-2004 10:29 AM

what respect? for running players into the boards when they're not looking? That really is sufficient for respect from your fellow players [/sarcasm]

Pepper 12-04-2004 11:36 AM

Tootoo is one of those players that will get tuned up really good someday when he jumps the wrong guy.

Way too many of his hits are blatant chargings, he jumps the opponents in fights and generally plays cheap.

SmokeyClause 12-04-2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper
Tootoo is one of those players that will get tuned up really good someday when he jumps the wrong guy.

Way too many of his hits are blatant chargings, he jumps the opponents in fights and generally plays cheap.

He jumped a lot of the wrong guys, supposedly, last year. People have been claiming from day one that someone will get him. They had ample opportunity last year and couldn't find it in their busy schedules to get him. I don't see how they'll get much better, especially considering Toots is now older and more mature and can avoid those problems better than in his rookie year. The best chance to get Tootoo has come and gone. If Toots gets taken out, it'll be in Bertuzzi/Moore fashion.

Vic Rattlehead* 12-04-2004 12:03 PM

If Tootoo was on your team, you would love him. He is an agitator, and does his job damn well if he has made so many people mad at him. I would love to have Tootoo on the Bruins.

SmokeyClause 12-04-2004 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19bruins19
If Tootoo was on your team, you would love him. He is an agitator, and does his job damn well if he has made so many people mad at him. I would love to have Tootoo on the Bruins.

I think that's what it boils down to. A lot of the people on here are of the opinion that they would never want Tootoo on their team and wouldn't cheer for him if he was. Try it sometime. If Tootoo was drafted by your team (not you 19bruins19, just those who hate him), you'd be cheering like mad every time he plastered a guy like Klesla, Bell, Martinek, Bell, Poapst, Iginla, Bell, etc. And for such a dirty player, he rarely gets called as such. His penalties come from roughings (usually the other team has a rougher as well) and fighting, not charging, high-sticking, boarding or other crap like that. You'd think the NHL would teach a punk like him some manners seeing how they treat most rookies, but so far nothing bad towards Toots.

Russian_fanatic 12-04-2004 01:28 PM

I'd trade Tootoo for J. Ruutu...

mazmin 12-04-2004 01:31 PM

Lots of love for Jordin from Winnipeg.

He'll be fine. He knows his role for now and he knows it's not pretty. He's one of the most determined players you'll find and he'll do ANYTHING to stay in the league. As he matures he will start to play a more complete game like Tie Domi did. He's got a nice hard shot and causes a lot of turnovers. Could be a great 3rd liner in a few years. For now he's a 4th liner that hits hard and throws players off their game. I'm happy a lot of people don't like his playing style, he doesn't intend to please you.

I know his story and you could make a movie about this kid one day. He's classy and a good role model off the ice. Chelios, on the other hand, is a bum on AND off the ice.

s7ark 12-04-2004 01:42 PM

Tootoo is a very good disturber. The thing about player like him that makes me think their future will be short in the NHL is all the talk of getting rid of the instigator rule. It that happens players like Tootoo will not be as useful.

Let's put it this way, if there was no instigator rule one of the heavyweights will destroy him for hitting the wrong guy from behind. And to all the Tootoo fans that say that Jordan can hold his own in a fight, you are correct. He is a tough kid. But night after night of fighting the Brashears, Worrells and Laraques of the league he cannot handle. He just doen't have the size to throw with the big boys. He may get a few shots in early by dropping the gloves before the other guy is set, but guys like Laraque can take a few shots and can answer back quite effectively.

Tootoo has his place in today's NHL, I amn just not sure how much longer today's NHL will be around for. Sorry Nashville. If I were you guys I honestly would trade him while his value is up before the other GMs realize being a one trick **** disturber in the NHL won't work in a few years. At least guys like Tucker and Barnaby can put the puck in the net.

gangstajerome 12-04-2004 01:55 PM

whats the name of that polish goon 6'5 guy on Calgary flames?

well anyways, I remember seeing him go after tootoo in calgary last season and it was funny to see the look on tootoo's face. he didnt look too fearless that time.

the fact that he had totally intimidated tootoo shows that tootoo will not be able to effectively perform his role all the time. when the big guys go after tootoo he walks the line pretty quick. when he is unable to perform his role what do you got left????

there is way too much talented guys and goon guys and guys that have both talent and goon size coming up from juniors to leave any space for a little goon like tootoo with mediocre skills.

tootoo will develop further skills and strength , but so will the rest of the kids coming up.

dulzhok 12-04-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

whats the name of that polish goon 6'5 guy on Calgary flames?

well anyways, I remember seeing him go after tootoo in calgary last season and it was funny to see the look on tootoo's face. he didnt look too fearless that time.

the fact that he had totally intimidated tootoo shows that tootoo will not be able to effectively perform his role all the time. when the big guys go after tootoo he walks the line pretty quick. when he is unable to perform his role what do you got left????

there is way too much talented guys and goon guys and guys that have both talent and goon size coming up from juniors to leave any space for a little goon like tootoo with mediocre skills.

tootoo will develop further skills and strength , but so will the rest of the kids coming up.

Keep telling yourself that Oliwa instilled fear into Tootoo. In the meantine, Tootoo threw Iginila and the rest of the Calgary team totally off their game, including Sutter, who was suspended.

Tootoo isn't as "cheap" as some would like you to believe. He had 2 charging calls last year and zero instigators.

Tootoo a one trick pony? I'll take a one trick pony that nets a team 100 powerplays over the corse of a season and throws opposing players totally off their game.

Tootoo's skills will improve in time, though he will never be a scoring line player. He didn't start playing organized hockey unitl age 14. BUT he already has the speed and saavy to make an impact in the NHL (as he's already done). Speed and smarts is what seperates him from other enforcers/agitators. Unlike most enforcers, he has the speed to keep up with anyone and agitate the heck out of them. Unlike most agitators (ie Avery), he has the smarts to know when to walk away.

s7ark 12-04-2004 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
Keep telling yourself that Oliwa instilled fear into Tootoo. In the meantine, Tootoo threw Iginila and the rest of the Calgary team totally off their game, including Sutter, who was suspended.

Tootoo isn't as "cheap" as some would like you to believe. He had 2 charging calls last year and zero instigators.

Tootoo a one trick pony? I'll take a one trick pony that nets a team 100 powerplays over the corse of a season and throws opposing players totally off their game.

Tootoo's skills will improve in time, though he will never be a scoring line player. He didn't start playing organized hockey unitl age 14. BUT he already has the speed and saavy to make an impact in the NHL (as he's already done). Speed and smarts is what seperates him from other enforcers/agitators. Unlike most enforcers, he has the speed to keep up with anyone and agitate the heck out of them. Unlike most agitators (ie Avery), he has the smarts to know when to walk away.

Sorry bud, you maybe a tooto fan but he is cheap and he does get instigators. I saw him get one in the AHL game I was at this year. He drops gloves before the other guy is ready and jumps them. You will never see Tootoo square off against a guy, and sooner or later he will get pummelled for doing that.

once the instigator rule is gone his one trick won't be so useful after he agitates Brashear and Brashear takes him out of the game. question, where were the tootoo type players before the instigator rule? They weren't in the NHL, the agitators then had to have skill like Esa in order to keep their roster spot.

Also , who cares when he started playing, what does that have to do with anything? He still ahs to play the game now.

I have seen Tootoo a few times in both NHL and AHL games and I dont' see any kind of talent at all to make me believe his skill will come around. He honestly looks clueless out there in the offensive zone unless he is hitting someone. Yes he can skate, but many players that haven't made an impact in the NHL could skate. I just don't see his as a future Tucker or Barnaby. Both those guys can be effective if the other team isn't buying into their agitation. Tootoo can't offer the coach a reason to ice him if he isn't drawing penalties.

gretzky2kurri 12-04-2004 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok

100 powerplays? :lol Nice number bud. Yes I would take one of them too.

Yeah little Toots tricks work EVERY night.

BTW, does anybody know why Toots hasn't been on the last 2 game sheets? He hurt or something? Or is this particular AHL lineup too tough for Toots to crack?

Bamababe 12-04-2004 03:43 PM

Quote:

100 powerplays? :lol Nice number bud. Yes I would take one of them too.

Yeah little Toots tricks work EVERY night.

BTW, does anybody know why Toots hasn't been on the last 2 game sheets? He hurt or something? Or is this particular AHL lineup too tough for Toots to crack?

It's not 100 powerplays, or atleast I doubt it is. But it's likely well over 50. It seemed like almost every game he was consistently drawing penalties and creating PP's for the Preds. Many games he did it atleast twice. I'll take this one trick pony all day and smile as he sends players like Klesla, Bell, and Martinek to the ice in painful fashion. I'll smile a little wider when he recieves no retribution for his action. He'll get no penalties and tough guys like Cairns, Shelly, and Godard have to answer to guys like McKenzie and Allison (soon Yablonski) on top of Tootoo. I'll chuckle when they never even touch him despite trying all period long to maim him. I'll laugh when he gets coaches/star players to alter their gameplan just to go get him. I'll laugh even harder when the coach and a player involved get reprimanded by the NHL for their actions. And I'll keep laughing for many years as he's not going to get worse. And the NHL isn't going to wise up to his act.

I mean, as Nashville fans, we were told that people would wise up to him after his first shift. Then, we were told they would wise up to him after a few games. A few games stretched to a few weeks into a few months. It's now sitting at year. When will his comeuppance come?

Bileur 12-04-2004 03:50 PM

W/ Instigator Tootoo is all good for the NHL.
W/ no instigator Tootoo should be on the witness protection program

s7ark 12-04-2004 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamababe
It's not 100 powerplays, or atleast I doubt it is. But it's likely well over 50. It seemed like almost every game he was consistently drawing penalties and creating PP's for the Preds. Many games he did it atleast twice. I'll take this one trick pony all day and smile as he sends players like Klesla, Bell, and Martinek to the ice in painful fashion. I'll smile a little wider when he recieves no retribution for his action. He'll get no penalties and tough guys like Cairns, Shelly, and Godard have to answer to guys like McKenzie and Allison (soon Yablonski) on top of Tootoo. I'll chuckle when they never even touch him despite trying all period long to maim him. I'll laugh when he gets coaches/star players to alter their gameplan just to go get him. I'll laugh even harder when the coach and a player involved get reprimanded by the NHL for their actions. And I'll keep laughing for many years as he's not going to get worse. And the NHL isn't going to wise up to his act.

I mean, as Nashville fans, we were told that people would wise up to him after his first shift. Then, we were told they would wise up to him after a few games. A few games stretched to a few weeks into a few months. It's now sitting at year. When will his comeuppance come?

No one said he wasn't effective. My point is that with no instigator rule he'll go down for the count and don't give me any you'll have to catch him first. He lines up at the faceoff like everybody else. Scenario, first time Tootoo is on the ice he lines up opposite Laraque. Laraque waits for the puck to drop and then pummels Jordan before he can skate away. How effective will he be then? As an agitator know for cheap shots he isn't going to get a lot of love from the ref in defense.

Like I said, trade him know while he is still useful rather then wait for his value to dwindle away.

Bamababe 12-04-2004 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
No one said he wasn't effective. My point is that with no instigator rule he'll go down for the count and don't give me any you'll have to catch him first. He lines up at the faceoff like everybody else. Scenario, first time Tootoo is on the ice he lines up opposite Laraque. Laraque waits for the puck to drop and then pummels Jordan before he can skate away. How effective will he be then? As an agitator know for cheap shots he isn't going to get a lot of love from the ref in defense.

Like I said, trade him know while he is still useful rather then wait for his value to dwindle away.

What gives you this definitive authority on the future of the NHL? Poile doesn't seem too concerned. I'd take the knowledge of a relatively successful GM with a pulse on the future and who'se job relies on being able to accurate predict trends such as these over a hockey fan far removed from the NHL (save for season tix) and with a definite agenda.

Your implying that the Preds would be able to trade him. So, one GM wouldn't understand the future such as you. So basically, you are implying that you know something about the future of the NHL that at least one GM does not. Sorry if I, or most any fan without hatred of Tootoo, disregards your predictions.

handtrick 12-04-2004 04:27 PM

Quote:

He has been out with a "lower body injury" suspected to be a groin pull.

The Preds organization was hoping this year he would be able to use the time in the AHL to develop his game. So far, I, and many others, have been disappointed in his offensive development. He seems to have fallen back into his instigator role to the exclusion of everything else.

I think Jordin got shortchanged in his time to develop properly in the minors as he was rushed up to Nashvillle to fill this unique agitator role, which they have never had before. The marketing draw of his heritage may have had at least some weight in the decision as well. No doubt he is a fan favorite in Nashville, and handled himself with grace and dignity with the fans and media. His teamates have also commented how well he handled all the hype and kept very humble in the locker room.

I have to tend to agree, that at this point, if the instigator penalty is abolished, his ability to play in this league would be in jeopardy. That being said, I doubt the instigator penalty will be abolished with the current crusade to corral violence in sports [Bertuzzi, Pacer/Piston brawl, etc].

s7ark 12-04-2004 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick
He has been out with a "lower body injury" suspected to be a groin pull.

The Preds organization was hoping this year he would be able to use the time in the AHL to develop his game. So far, I, and many others, have been disappointed in his offensive development. He seems to have fallen back into his instigator role to the exclusion of everything else.

I think Jordin got shortchanged in his time to develop properly in the minors as he was rushed up to Nashvillle to fill this unique agitator role, which they have never had before. The marketing draw of his heritage may have had at least some weight in the decision as well. No doubt he is a fan favorite in Nashville, and handled himself with grace and dignity with the fans and media. His teamates have also commented how well he handled all the hype and kept very humble in the locker room.

I have to tend to agree, that at this point, if the instigator penalty is abolished, his ability to play in this league would be in jeopardy. That being said, I doubt the instigator penalty will be abolished with the current crusade to corral violence in sports [Bertuzzi, Pacer/Piston brawl, etc].

Ah but the instigator rule is what is causing stuff like the Bertuzzi situation. If there was no instigator someone would have beaten up moore right after the hit and that would have been then end of it. Since the refs are incapable of policing this kind of situation we should go back to the hired goons watching out for the team. Not many touched Gretz not because some some honour in the league. People didn't touch him cause Semenko would have beaten them within an inch of their life. That is how superstars should be protected. Cause it works