HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Mock Drafts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   NHL Entry Draft: Pensguy11's April Mock 1st Round (With a couple trades) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1167449)

puckguy11 04-15-2012 11:52 PM

Pensguy11's April Mock 1st Round (With a couple trades)

First off, some housekeeping:
  • First, thanks to Beerfish for providing the blueprint for the mock draft software again. Sure is a great help when constructing these things.
  • Second, players were picked either on BPA or need. I realize three goalies probably won't go in the first round, but all three organizations need help in goal.
1. Edmonton Nail Yakupov
2. Columbus Mikhail Grigogenko
3. Montreal Ryan Murray
4. NY Islanders Filip Forsberg
5. Toronto Matthew Dumba
6. Anaheim Morgan Rielly
7. Minnesota Jacob Trouba
8. Dallas (via Carolina) Alex Galchenyuk
9. Winnipeg Radek Faksa
10. Tampa Bay Griffin Reinhart
11. Washington Cody Ceci
12. Buffalo Sebastian Collberg
13. Carolina (via Dallas) Brendan Gaunce
14. Calgary Derrick Pouliot
15. Florida (via Ottawa) Matthew Finn
16. Washington Zemgus Girgensons
17. Ottawa (via Florida) Teuvo Teravainen
18. LA Kings Pontus Aberg
19. San Jose Ludvik Bystrom
20. Boston (via Phoenix) Andrei Vasilevski
21. Chicago Olli Maata
22. New Jersey Tomas Hertl
23. Tampa Bay Slater Koekkoek
24. Phoenix (via Boston) Thomas Wilson
25. Philadelphia Malcolm Subban
26. Buffalo Hampus Lindholm
27. Pittsburgh Martin Frk
28. St. Louis Brady Skjei
29. NY Rangers Oscar Dansk
30. Vancouver Phillip Di Giuseppe

King Forsberg 04-15-2012 11:56 PM

Just some opinions:

I don't see Galchenyuk dropping to 8th. Then again Couturier did drop to 8th last year. Galchenyuk just seems too good to have 7 teams pass over him.

I also don't see anyway in which the Flyers take a goalie in the first round. They have Hovinen, and Bobrovsky already. Not to mention Bryzgalov is locked up for 8 more years after this one.

Pretty solid draft though. Nice work.

HockeyRulez 04-16-2012 12:26 AM

:leafs wont pass on Galchenyuk if he's there at 5

Erza Scarlet 04-16-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyRulez (Post 48140585)

hell yeah..

DuckJet 04-16-2012 01:43 AM

:facepalm:

Nopenopenope.

Ducks don't need to get softer on the blueline. They need more grit and stability. All Rielly offers them is a PP QB and a puck mover...sounds a lot like someone they already have...what was his name again? Oh yeah...Cam Fowler? Also sounds eerily similar to Sami Vatanen and Justin Schultz.

Not only that, but the Ducks are very weak down the middle. A guy like Galchenyuk is supposedly available (almost certain Burke would take him...but not impossible guys) and the Ducks pass him up leaving them with Peter Holland as the second best center in the system? Not on your life. I've seen crazier stuff happen, but our scouting staff of late can be called anything but crazy. (Most likely) They aren't going to ignore a hole and add to a surplus.

FlareKnight 04-16-2012 04:32 AM

Yeah, I hate to jump on the same point as others, but Galchenyuk falling to 8 seems very unlikely. I can't imagine the Leafs letting him slip past them at 5 with the need up the middle. I don't dislike Dumba, but the Leafs shouldn't be taking him there if they can get Galchenyuk.

NH57 04-16-2012 06:29 AM

:habs
If Galchenyuk or Forsberg or even Grigorenko is available at 3rd overall, they will take him instead of another D. Montreal need to address their main need, and that is an elite centre/winger

squidz* 04-16-2012 08:10 AM

Like the Ducks and Leafs fans have noted, Galchenyuk won't fall that far. Brent Flahr (Wild AGM who runs the Wild draft and more or else personally selects any top 10 picks) is known to be crazy about Galchenyuk. If somehow he slipped to Toronto and Anaheim, and both passed on him, the Wild wouldn't let him fall further, despite our needs on the blue line.

If we pretend Gally wasn't available, that's a good pick for the Wild with what was left.

No Good Names Left 04-16-2012 02:40 PM

Nice work on the draft,
A couple of things:
Man would I laugh if cbj took a Russian and they bolted, hence, I don't think they will take one.
I can see grigs falling to 8th, not galchenyuk
I think the isles take a dman.

cheers, and nice work again.

KrisBeKreame 04-16-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Good Names Left (Post 48173861)
Nice work on the draft,
A couple of things:
Man would I laugh if cbj took a Russian and they bolted, hence, I don't think they will take one.
I can see grigs falling to 8th, not galchenyuk
I think the isles take a dman.
cheers, and nice work again.

The islanders will take BPA but will hope its a Dman. Still no matter what they will take whom they percive to be BPA.

Leafs03 04-16-2012 03:37 PM

dont see galy falling that far....Leafs wont pass on him.. no way, if they do burke needs to be fired right away..

Edm-Yak
Clb-Murray
Mtl-Grig
Isl-Dumba
Tor-Galy

Thats how i see it..

WhoIsJimBob 04-16-2012 03:47 PM

The Sabres have taken a grand total of one European player in the last five drafts combined and they take two in one round.

Interesting.

Analyzer 04-16-2012 05:26 PM

Habs have always needed a centre, so they're not passing on Grigs, or Gally.. Or even Forsberg.

NewEraGM 04-18-2012 10:53 PM

Stop with this "need" business. What if timmins is sure Murray will be the next niedermayer and that all the forwards available will be 3rd liners. You never EVER pick by needs. You draft to put yourself in a position of strength. Look at Ottawa, nashville, la. All drafting a ton of dman and they are all in playoffs doing well. Later, you can trade a dman for a forward. During the draft you want to add as much value to your team, not value that fits a specific need. You can fill the needs later

That being said, if gally, grig or forsberg is supposed to be the best player you take him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahhabib (Post 48150805)
If Galchenyuk or Forsberg or even Grigorenko is available at 3rd overall, they will take him instead of another D. Montreal need to address their main need, and that is an elite centre/winger

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahhabib (Post 48150805)

NewEraGM 04-18-2012 11:01 PM

WOW! I have no idea why people don't understand this concept. You take the player who you think will be the best player. Whether that's a forward, dman or goalie. If timmins thinks Murray will be best player in 5 year you take him. You can always trade him for a forward. What if TT believes the forwards will all be busts but still take one pf them because it fills a need. You would be the first person to look back and criticize the pick.

If the forward is the BPA, yea you take him but you dont disregard all defense because they don't fill an immediate need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 48183789)
Habs have always needed a centre, so they're not passing on Grigs, or Gally.. Or even Forsberg.

NewEraGM 04-18-2012 11:16 PM

Drafting based on needs is like picking a coach just because he speaks french. You take the best coach/player available. If he speaks french/is the best player available, great! If not, f *** him.

There is no point drafting someone who you think will end up being a scrub just because it looks like it fits a need...If BPA fits a need great, but in no way, shape or form should needs being even remotely factored into the equation of who to draft.

KrisBeKreame 04-19-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafs03 (Post 48177567)
dont see galy falling that far....Leafs wont pass on him.. no way, if they do burke needs to be fired right away..

Edm-Yak
Clb-Murray
Mtl-Grig
Isl-Dumba
Tor-Galy

Thats how i see it..

If Murray is off the board the consensus of the Islander board thinks they will take Galy or Forsberg.

Analyzer 04-19-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewEraGM (Post 48380301)
WOW! I have no idea why people don't understand this concept. You take the player who you think will be the best player. Whether that's a forward, dman or goalie. If timmins thinks Murray will be best player in 5 year you take him. You can always trade him for a forward. What if TT believes the forwards will all be busts but still take one pf them because it fills a need. You would be the first person to look back and criticize the pick.

If the forward is the BPA, yea you take him but you dont disregard all defense because they don't fill an immediate need.

From what it looks like, Murray will probably be gone at number 2 anyways.

hdtrax 04-19-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyRulez (Post 48140585)

This.

IceMaster 04-21-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewEraGM (Post 48381397)
Drafting based on needs is like picking a coach just because he speaks french. You take the best coach/player available. If he speaks french/is the best player available, great! If not, f *** him.

There is no point drafting someone who you think will end up being a scrub just because it looks like it fits a need...If BPA fits a need great, but in no way, shape or form should needs being even remotely factored into the equation of who to draft.

I understand you're point but it's not like there is a huge gap between Murray and the other prospects. Also, there are very good chances that Montreal will be high on at least one of Grigs, Galy or Forsberg. In that case, if the values are about equal, needs are important, whether you like it or not.

DaveG 04-21-2012 02:26 PM

1: what are the trades?

and

2: zero chance the Canes would trade with Dallas to give up the #8 spot if one of the top forwards is still there unless the Stars were sending Glennie or Benn back, in which case why would Dallas even make that trade?

mpleafan 04-21-2012 06:04 PM

i dont see the leafs taking a dman if galenchyuk is there. even if he wasnt, id rather have forsberg.

Ace Dreamer 04-27-2012 07:22 PM

i could see :pens taking a goalie like Dansk at their pick

HockeySensible 04-27-2012 07:56 PM

Maatta's a good fit in Chicago. Don't know if he'll last that long though.

Xoggz22 04-28-2012 12:08 PM

Sorry, but any Mock Draft with Grigorenko going to Columbus is not off to a good start. Forsberg - maybe, Galchenyuk - probably, Murray - probably. Grigorenko - No Chance!