HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Make the Winnipeg Jets a Stanley Cup Contender (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1167975)

viper0220 04-16-2012 10:48 AM

Make the Winnipeg Jets a Stanley Cup Contender

I know that it does not happen overnight but what can the Winnipeg Jets to be stanley cup contenders.Take your best shot and we will see what happens.

Wpgpage 04-16-2012 10:52 AM

Step one: Hoard daft picks
Step two: Wait
Step three: Continue waiting
Step four: You get the picture.

viper0220 04-16-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpgpage (Post 48159951)
Step one: Hoard daft picks
Step two: Wait
Step three: Continue waiting
Step four: You get the picture.

That long. :cry:

WJG 04-16-2012 11:02 AM

I don't think there's any chance of it happening until at least 2013. We'll have a lot of salary coming off the books (ie. Hainsey, Antropov, Miettinen, Clitsome and Gagnon) and there will be a very strong UFA group (Zajac, J. Staal, Getzlaf, etc).

Finlandia WOAT 04-16-2012 11:03 AM

Trade Evander Kane to the Rangers for Anisimov, Fedotenko and a 2nd.

Petro Points 04-16-2012 11:08 AM

Draft Dumba, Sign Doan

Look for size down the middle... Arnott?

Huffer 04-16-2012 11:11 AM

This thread is just going to be nonstop lol's.

Matthew McConaughey 04-16-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffer (Post 48161109)
This thread is just going to be nonstop lol's.

With a few WTF, AINEC, and LMAO as well.

WJG 04-16-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stump (Post 48161337)
With by a few WTF, AINEC, and LMAO as well.

Perhaps an OMGWTFBBQ?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...-OMGWTFBBQ.jpg

Sens Rule 04-16-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper0220 (Post 48159727)
I know that it does not happen overnight but what can the Winnipeg Jets to be stanley cup contenders.Take your best shot and we will see what happens.

Ottawa finished 16th in the NHL and got the 8th seed in the East. They are legitimate Cup contenders this season. Seriously. Every year since the lockout you see more and more parity. Ottawa and Detroit had stacked teams after the lockout and lost talent from their teams with the salary cap. San Jose had a stacked team and they have had ridiculous turnover year in and year out because of the Cap. Chicago had an absolutely stacked team and had to essentially give away almost all the depth pieces right after they won the Cup. Pittsburgh and Vancouver are probably the 2 best teams in the NHL and they will be out of the playoffs in the first round barring a miracle comeback.

Parity is huge. Look at teams locking up almost all their good players. Hardly anyone ends up as a UFA anymore. Teams know there is hardly any way to get talent anymore. If you have it you keep it.

So how does Winnipeg become a "cup contender"? Not trade their young assets, draft well and try to get some extra talent here and there, make sound smaller trades, sign a depth UFA or two if it makes sense to do so but don't hope to make a slam dunk home run UFA acquisition. Pattience and not panic. Get good management and good scouting. You can pay for that and it does nto count against the cap.

Goal 1: Make the playoffs... if you do you ARE a good team and can have a good shot to go deep.

Caius Merlyn 04-16-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens Rule (Post 48161939)
Ottawa finished 16th in the NHL and got the 8th seed in the East. They are legitimate Cup contenders this season. Seriously. Every year since the lockout you see more and more parity. Ottawa and Detroit had stacked teams after the lockout and lost talent from their teams with the salary cap. San Jose had a stacked team and they have had ridiculous turnover year in and year out because of the Cap. Chicago had an absolutely stacked team and had to essentially give away almost all the depth pieces right after they won the Cup. Pittsburgh and Vancouver are probably the 2 best teams in the NHL and they will be out of the playoffs in the first round barring a miracle comeback.

Parity is huge. Look at teams locking up almost all their good players. Hardly anyone ends up as a UFA anymore. Teams know there is hardly any way to get talent anymore. If you have it you keep it.

So how does Winnipeg become a "cup contender"? Not trade their young assets, draft well and try to get some extra talent here and there, make sound smaller trades, sign a depth UFA or two if it makes sense to do so but don't hope to make a slam dunk home run UFA acquisition. Pattience and not panic. Get good management and good scouting. You can pay for that and it does nto count against the cap.

The Sens are not cup contenders...

Simply making the playoffs does not confirm a team as a contender unless we've thrown the definition wide open. In that case if parity is so huge then Pittsburgh, and Vancouver are still "contenders" as well.

Dellstrom 04-16-2012 11:45 AM

It's likely not going to happen for a while. If you want to be a contender, you need to have a huge, franchise name, or several big names. Getting one franchise player is likely easier, but I'm not sure that's the route Winnipeg will go. Regardless, you came pretty close to making the playoffs, and your young team has all experienced one more year, they'll only be better next year. I'd try to sign several big-name free agents this year and use your decent draft pick to good use, possibly trade up if there's someone you think is special.

You have potential to make the playoffs next year, but I can't see Winnipeg as a contender for a few more years.

Caius Merlyn 04-16-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens Rule (Post 48161939)

Goal 1: Make the playoffs... if you do you ARE a good team and can have a good shot to go deep.

Also wanted to add:

You call the 8th seeded Sens a contender yet Vancouver and Pittsburgh would be pulling out a miracle if they won their series ...

3 times has a team come back from being down 3 games in a series to win ... Never has an 8th seed won the Stanley cup... In fact, since the 16 team playoffs have began I don't believe a team ever seeded lower than 5th has won the cup.

In fact I believe 13 of the last 16 cup winners have finished 1-3...

Your post is flawed in many ways .... That or "contender" means jack all

GordieHoweHatTrick 04-16-2012 11:50 AM

Start by moving Byfuglien to wing and re-signing Enstrom

km204 04-16-2012 04:49 PM

I posted this in the Jets forum, but this is my offseason plan. I think it really gets us heading in the right direction and could potentially make us a playoff team next year.

Re-Sign:
Tanner Glass
Jim Slater
Chris Mason

Draft
1. Matt Dumba D Red Deer
2. Phillip Di Giuseppe LW U of Michigan

Trade
Tobias Enstrom for Paul Stastny

Free Agency
David Jones
Barrett Jackman

Projected Lineup
Kane Stastny Jones
Ladd Little Wheeler
Antropov Burmistrov Miettinen
Glass Slater Thorburn
Machacek

Jackman Byfuglien
Hainsey Bogosian
Stuart Postma
Clitsome

What are your thoughts?

Halibut 04-16-2012 05:55 PM

I'd think they need a game changer up front. Have a crappy year next year due to some injuries and bad luck (maybe luck in the draft lottery) get the first overall and a superstar up front. With the depth they already have that might be enough. Either that or have someone like Kane take a huge leap forward in their development and become a star rather than just a good player.

KingJet* 04-16-2012 06:24 PM

I kinda want them to trade Kane, I'll be honest, yes he has 30 goals, but hes just a good Athlete, hes not that good, hes kind of overrated, and yet he has good Value, and we can get alot out of him, like 2 1st rounders and maybe a prospect and a useful player, Toronto I see, try and draft Reinhart/Reilly/Dumba/Galchenyuk, I even think we might be able to sign Parise, but forsure resign Enstrom and Slater, and let go of Hainsey, Miettinen, Wellwood, Stapleton and Jones, for a back up, i dunno about Mason, maybe, but Pasquale I think could be good for us, Scheifele needs one more year, but another player we should go for is Guillaume Desbiens, but Konopka isn't a bad choice too.

Kane to Toronto for
5th overall
1st 2013
Schenn
Lupul

*If we trade Kane and take Galchenyuk (9 game stint) and one of those D

Ladd/FA-Galchenyuk/Little-Wheeler
Lupul/FA-Burmistrov-Little/Machacek/Klingberg
Glass-Slater-Thorburn
Machecek-Cormier-FA/Prospect/Desbiens/Konopka

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Clitsome-Bogosian
Postma-Stuart
Flood

Pavelec
Mason/Pasquale

Jets 04-16-2012 07:02 PM

We need our bottom 6 to be:

Kelly - Burmistrov - Clutterbuck
Glass - Slater - Thorburn

We need our top 6 to be:

Kane - ??? - Wheeler
Ladd - ??? - Little

We need our D to look like:

Bogosian - Enstrom
Byfuglien - ???
Stuart - ???

Goalies:

Pavelec
???

Basically we need to start by picking up Clutterbuck in a trade (or someone similar), signing Chris Kelly as a FA, and look to fill two huge gaping holes at centre. If we want to be a contender, that first centreman needs to be a superstar type player, or else we need to blow up alot more of the team. We have alot of depth players that need a star, or we need a handful of slightly better players than the ones we have.

Tommy Torini 04-16-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJet (Post 48187153)
I kinda want them to trade Kane, I'll be honest, yes he has 30 goals, but hes just a good Athlete, hes not that good, hes kind of overrated, and yet he has good Value, and we can get alot out of him, like 2 1st rounders and maybe a prospect and a useful player, Toronto I see, try and draft Reinhart/Reilly/Dumba/Galchenyuk, I even think we might be able to sign Parise, but forsure resign Enstrom and Slater, and let go of Hainsey, Miettinen, Wellwood, Stapleton and Jones, for a back up, i dunno about Mason, maybe, but Pasquale I think could be good for us, Scheifele needs one more year, but another player we should go for is Guillaume Desbiens, but Konopka isn't a bad choice too.

Kane to Toronto for
5th overall
1st 2013
Schenn
Lupul

*If we trade Kane and take Galchenyuk (9 game stint) and one of those D

Ladd/FA-Galchenyuk/Little-Wheeler
Lupul/FA-Burmistrov-Little/Machacek/Klingberg
Glass-Slater-Thorburn
Machecek-Cormier-FA/Prospect/Desbiens/Konopka

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Clitsome-Bogosian
Postma-Stuart
Flood

Pavelec
Mason/Pasquale

Yeah, I'm sure Toronto would love that. :shakehead

jumptheshark 04-16-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli (Post 48191259)
Yeah, I'm sure Toronto would love that. :shakehead

to would need to add a second

King Woodballs 04-16-2012 08:13 PM

Big #1 Center
Scoring Winger

just to start with

Luwongo 04-16-2012 08:16 PM

ask bettman to allow the jets organization to play every game at home?!?!? :yo:

burgess1978 04-16-2012 08:53 PM

A lot of Jets proposals here have suggested that you need to look at moving Enstrom for someone to centre your top line. The Stastny proposal is fair value IMO but Colorado are very deep on D (they just traded away Qunicey).

Involving a 3rd team with a big need on D (Columbus, Edmonton, Islanders) might make it workable, but 3 way deals are tough to figure out. What sort of return is Colorado looking for if they trade Stastny? If Hejduk leaves or retires do they need a RW?

Huffer 04-16-2012 09:17 PM

Can we keep ridiculous Jet trade proposals on the Jets forum?

Paradise 04-16-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffer (Post 48208121)
Can we keep ridiculous Jet trade proposals on the Jets forum?

Agreed:)