HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Proposal: Jonathan Bernier to Tampa Bay (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1168213)

HoseEmDown 04-16-2012 02:38 PM

Jonathan Bernier to Tampa Bay

With as good as Quick's been I can see him expendable plus he'll be a cheaper option than Schneider or Luongo. I don't know what his value is to LA but Columbus decided to take a mid first over him in the Carter trade. So I think Det 1st straight up?

Vasilevskiy 04-16-2012 03:12 PM

Probably would have to take Malone or Connolly + pick for Bernier + defense-man

HoseEmDown 04-16-2012 03:26 PM

LA was willing to give him to Columbus instead of a pick in the teens, why would we have to add? I don't see LA trading Voynov but if they did I would send Malone, Connolly has too much potential to trade already.

PoundCake 04-16-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 48173735)
With as good as Quick's been I can see him expendable plus he'll be a cheaper option than Schneider or Luongo. I don't know what his value is to LA but Columbus decided to take a mid first over him in the Carter trade. So I think Det 1st straight up?

Are you sure L.A. even offered Bernier to Columbus? I'm assuming they wouldn't want to trade their backup goalie right before the playoffs.

I could have seen a trade like Bernier + Johnson for Tampa 1st + Malone after the playoffs, but then the Kings went and traded Johnson to Columbus :( He would have been a great fit in Tampa.

I doubt we would try to get Voynov. I think Yzerman will try to sign an experienced top 4 dman (like Brewer) to fill our current #3 spot. Then draft Dmen and let them develop in the AHL for a bit.

BarberioTheBarbarian 04-16-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoundCake (Post 48179593)
I think Yzerman will try to sign an experienced top 4 dman (like Brewer) to fill our current #3 spot. Then draft Dmen and let them develop in the AHL for a bit.

Wideman or carle could fill that void.

HoseEmDown 04-16-2012 05:25 PM

I didn't see anything that specifically said Bernier was offered but I've read lots of rumors that he was. LA was desperate for scoring so I think they would've sacrificed their back up goalie. I would've loved Johnson+Bernier but I think it would've cost more than our 1st and Malone. Unless we can get Ohlund to retire and his contract come off the cap I don't like us signing another 4 mil plus 30 year old D man. I think we are better trading for a few younger and cheaper players like Lee and hoping they can become serviceable.

Follower of Yzlam 04-16-2012 05:27 PM

Isn't Ohlund a 35+ contract? Those don't come off the cap once the guy retires, do they?

HoseEmDown 04-16-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian (Post 48180063)

I don't see us going after Carle or him having any interest in us, we traded him after 12 games. Let's get back on track and hear suggestions on goalie proposals not named Schneider there's enough of those.

Brodeur 04-16-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 48183745)
I didn't see anything that specifically said Bernier was offered but I've read lots of rumors that he was. LA was desperate for scoring so I think they would've sacrificed their back up goalie.

I vaguely recall something along the lines of Columbus not being interested in Bernier, but we don't know if LA was pitching Bernier as the centerpiece of a deal rather than the final piece with Jack Johnson.

The persistent rumor was that the Kings wanted to keep onto Bernier until they got Quick signed to a longterm deal. Quick is UFA after next season, so they wanted an insurance policy just in case. Whether or not they decide to deal Bernier in the offseason will probably depend on how well contract talks go with Quick.

Personally, I'd go after Schneider before Bernier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoundCake
Are you sure L.A. even offered Bernier to Columbus? I'm assuming they wouldn't want to trade their backup goalie right before the playoffs.

If Bernier had gone to Columbus, most expected the Blue Jackets to include Curtis Sanford in the deal as well. Sanford was having a decent season before his injury and had three solid starts against the Kings (1.67 GAA, .952 sv%)--Including the infamous game where the Kings scored a last second goal when the clock seemingly froze at 0.3 seconds.

The Fear Boners 04-16-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 48173735)

Yeah but Quick needs a contract still.
Quote:

Originally Posted by viktors89 (Post 48176001)
Probably would have to take Malone or Connolly + pick for Bernier + defense-man

Rumor earlier was Bernier for Malone, Malone wouldn't waive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian (Post 48180063)

Meh. Better options out there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 48183745)
I didn't see anything that specifically said Bernier was offered but I've read lots of rumors that he was. LA was desperate for scoring so I think they would've sacrificed their back up goalie. I would've loved Johnson+Bernier but I think it would've cost more than our 1st and Malone. Unless we can get Ohlund to retire and his contract come off the cap I don't like us signing another 4 mil plus 30 year old D man. I think we are better trading for a few younger and cheaper players like Lee and hoping they can become serviceable.

Or creating three good pairings rather than 1 great pairing, 1 very good pairing, 1 average pairing and 1 crappy pairing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAB4Norris (Post 48183849)
Isn't Ohlund a 35+ contract? Those don't come off the cap once the guy retires, do they?

No hes not a 35+, thats why him retiring would be a good thing.

2 Weekes Notice 04-16-2012 09:41 PM

I've kind of been on the Bernier train for a bit. It's more risky than Schneider, but that Vancouver situation is turning so toxic that I think they'd make difficult trade partners. Plus, even though he's not a sure thing, the idea of getting a possible 23-year-old franchise goalie to tie to Stammer and Hedman is pretty tantalizing.

Plus I'm worried about Schneider's cost getting out of control. If Bernier could be had for DET 1st + maybe ours or Minnesota's 2nd, I'd consider that fine since it'd be nice to not have to part with Connolly/our first. Although, upping the trade to get Voynov is tempting too. If Willie Mitchell was younger I'd be interested in him, he's been fantastic against Vancouver IMO.

TBLHoser 04-16-2012 11:07 PM

Interesting to see how Schneider plays in the playoffs....if they go 4 and out, then he might be available albeit somewhat pricey. If they start to come back and Schneider is the reason, then it's going to be tough for the Canucks to make a decision on their goaltending situation. Can Luongo get them to the cup down the road? Unfortunately for the Canucks, they're stuck with him contract wise.

PoundCake 04-17-2012 12:03 AM

I'm assuming the deal would look something like:

To Tampa:
Bernier

To L.A:
Det 1st
Forward prospect

Maybe Tampa adds a 2nd round pick or switches the 1st to Tampa's 1st? I'm not to sure what Berniers value is or what Yzerman would offer for him though.

I really don't see Yzerman trying to pick up any other major players from L.A. either.

garmonbozia 04-17-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoundCake (Post 48224537)
I'm assuming the deal would look something like:

To Tampa:
Bernier

To L.A:
Det 1st
Forward prospect

Maybe Tampa adds a 2nd round pick or switches the 1st to Tampa's 1st? I'm not to sure what Berniers value is or what Yzerman would offer for him though.

I really don't see Yzerman trying to pick up any other major players from L.A. either.

Why not? I'd almost prefer a deal for one of L.A.s defensemen than for Bernier. Forbort in particular would be an awesome acquisition, though I wouldn't scoff at any of Greene, Martinez, Voynov, Muzzin, or Hickey if they were available.

HoseEmDown 04-17-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garmonbozia (Post 48228883)
Why not? I'd almost prefer a deal for one of L.A.s defensemen than for Bernier. Forbort in particular would be an awesome acquisition, though I wouldn't scoff at any of Greene, Martinez, Voynov, Muzzin, or Hickey if they were available.

A trade for any of LA's D you mentioned besides Voynov doesn't help our top 4. Forbort is similar to Aullie but not as far along. Muzzin and Hickey are similar to Barbero but not putting up his numbers, not sure their contract situations but maybe we could trade a late round pick for their RFA rights to improve our prospect depth. Greene and Martinez would be 5/6 so not worth trading picks or prospects for.

IdealisticSniper 04-17-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 48232577)
A trade for any of LA's D you mentioned besides Voynov doesn't help our top 4. Forbort is similar to Aullie but not as far along. Muzzin and Hickey are similar to Barbero but not putting up his numbers, not sure their contract situations but maybe we could trade a late round pick for their RFA rights to improve our prospect depth. Greene and Martinez would be 5/6 so not worth trading picks or prospects for.

Martinez and Greene would both be 3/4 guys for us. Not even a question really.

The Fear Boners 04-17-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper (Post 48240827)
Martinez and Greene would both be 3/4 guys for us. Not even a question really.

Exactly. Martinez, if he stays healthy is a solid 4. Big if.

Greene is 28 (soon 29) and wouldn't be a bad pickup for a few years. Gives someone responsible to stay home while Heddy roams.

HoseEmDown 04-17-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still All In (Post 48241109)
Exactly. Martinez, if he stays healthy is a solid 4. Big if.

Greene is 28 (soon 29) and wouldn't be a bad pickup for a few years. Gives someone responsible to stay home while Heddy roams.

So LA's bottom 6 pairing would be our top 4 pairing? If that's the case we are in for another bad year. Martinez isn't any better than Lee. Is smaller than him and LH which we have a log jam of, I'd like our 3/4 to be Lee/Brewer. Lee looked good for us after we got him. Plus neither of those players are UFA's so why give up assets for them when we can sign bottom 6 guys much cheaper. We need to find someone to play with Hedman and move Brewer to 2nd pair. We have plenty of young 5/6 type players on the roster or in AHL. Now if it's a cap throw in a Bernier trade ok, but to try to get them isn't going to help our D.

The Fear Boners 04-17-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 48241945)
So LA's bottom 6 pairing would be our top 4 pairing? If that's the case we are in for another bad year. Martinez isn't any better than Lee. Is smaller than him and LH which we have a log jam of, I'd like our 3/4 to be Lee/Brewer. Lee looked good for us after we got him. Plus neither of those players are UFA's so why give up assets for them when we can sign bottom 6 guys much cheaper. We need to find someone to play with Hedman and move Brewer to 2nd pair. We have plenty of young 5/6 type players on the roster or in AHL. Now if it's a cap throw in a Bernier trade ok, but to try to get them isn't going to help our D.

Only reason those guys are in those roles are because Scuderi, Doughty, and Mitchell in front of them. Martinez is head and shoulders above Lee in production and actual talent. Lee at this point is a miscast top four who needs to grow and learn how to cut off lanes. He had a great first week and a decent second week and tailed off hard.

I don't know how you can say we have those guys in Norfolk now, because we don't. Barberio still needs work in his end (and supposed improvement in foot speed, but I don't see it) and Gudas looks solid but a guy without a lot of offense isn't going to get rushed in here. Ideally we'd get Voynov, but thats a pipe dream at this point.

kinghock 04-17-2012 02:04 PM

From Kings point of view Bernier is available for overpayment only.
Check what Colorado gave for Varlamow last year.
Bernier and Hickey/ Muzzin for Connolly/Tampa’s first

HoseEmDown 04-17-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinghock (Post 48250219)

Verlamov was a more proven player with some playoff experience. Bernier isn't worth that, Col gave a 1st they thought would be in teens and a 2nd not 2 top 10 picks.

The Fear Boners 04-17-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Doubtful considering they already tried to move him this year for scoring help.

HoseEmDown 04-17-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still All In (Post 48244597)
Only reason those guys are in those roles are because Scuderi, Doughty, and Mitchell in front of them. Martinez is head and shoulders above Lee in production and actual talent. Lee at this point is a miscast top four who needs to grow and learn how to cut off lanes. He had a great first week and a decent second week and tailed off hard.

I don't know how you can say we have those guys in Norfolk now, because we don't. Barberio still needs work in his end (and supposed improvement in foot speed, but I don't see it) and Gudas looks solid but a guy without a lot of offense isn't going to get rushed in here. Ideally we'd get Voynov, but thats a pipe dream at this point.

I would say Lee and Martinez are pretty even, Lee hasn't lived up to his draft spot but still has the talent and potential to be a solid top 4 and we don't have to give up anything to get him. Gudas isn't ready needs at least 1 more year. Aullie who technically is in the AHL now will be on our bottom pair, Barbero was just named best defender in the AHL so I think playing bottom 6 minutes he'd do fine and he'd help our PP. Mikkelson isn't in the AHL but I see him be resigned to a 2 way deal so will be in the bottom pair or AHL. So we only need a top pair D to play with Hedman.

LightningStrikes 04-17-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Doubtful. At the time of the trade Varlamov was already a proven playoff performer and had played 11 more regular season games than Bernier has to date. And he posted better stats in those games, too. Plus those picks were expected to be a lot lower.

kinghock 04-17-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still All In (Post 48251303)
Doubtful considering they already tried to move him this year for scoring help.

They did not. This never been confirmed.