HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Question about New York Sports (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1170021)

Yozzy 04-17-2012 10:27 PM

Question about New York Sports

I'm from a small town south of Toronto, and was just wondering something about the fans of New York. How does it work, I mean if you're from anywhere in Ontario, generally you'll find Toronto Maple Leafs, Raptors, and Blue Jays fans.
Obviously New York has at least two teams in each sport, if you count New Jersey as well. So how does it work? Is it like, Rangers, Yankees, Giants fans vs Islanders, Mets, Jets fans?
How is split up? Is it by neighborhood, or NYC vs the surrounding area?
Or is it basically, you live in New York, and you mix and match?

- Curious Canadian.

useref15 04-17-2012 10:29 PM

Usually it is....

Yankees, Giants, Rangers, Knicks

Mets, Jets, Islanders/Rangers, Knicks

I am Rangers, Giants, Yankees, Nets

As for the Devils....I don't think anybody cares about them, as well as the Nets.

McDunna with Fries 04-17-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yozzy (Post 48293699)
I'm from a small town south of Toronto, and was just wondering something about the fans of New York. How does it work, I mean if you're from anywhere in Ontario, generally you'll find Toronto Maple Leafs, Raptors, and Blue Jays fans.
Obviously New York has at least two teams in each sport, if you count New Jersey as well. So how does it work? Is it like, Rangers, Yankees, Giants fans vs Islanders, Mets, Jets fans?
How is split up? Is it by neighborhood, or NYC vs the surrounding area?
Or is it basically, you live in New York, and you mix and match?

- Curious Canadian.

You'll find exceptions everywhere, and different combinations everywhere. The most popular combination is mets/jets/islanders vs. yanks/giants/rangers due to geographic location.

Mets and Jets used to play in Shea, located in Queens (near LI where the Islanders play) so many times geographically Long Islanders have tradionally been Mets/Jets/Islanders.

EpicDing 04-17-2012 10:30 PM

In my experience, it tends to be what you said actually; Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers against Mets, Jets, Nets, Islanders.

You usually end up following whoever your parents followed too.

Brodie 04-17-2012 10:33 PM

the divisions run east/west generally... with the Mets and Jets being big in the eastern boroughs and Long Island and the Yankees and Giants being big in Manhattan, Bronx and NJ. The hockey and basketball situations are more complicated. The Rangers have fans everywhere, but the Islanders base is on LI and in Queens while the Knicks are currently the only team in the city, I imagine the Nets will begin to draw fans from the same eastern boroughs and LI base

RangersFan 04-17-2012 10:33 PM

mets, jets, islanders, nets

yankees, giants, rangers, knicks

i am mets, giants, rangers, and knicks (when i feel like it, loved the 90s, ever since it's been nauseating)

McDunna with Fries 04-17-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by useref15 (Post 48293885)
Usually it is....

Yankees, Giants, Rangers, Knicks

Mets, Jets, Islanders/Rangers, Knicks

I am Rangers, Giants, Yankees, Nets

As for the Devils....I don't think anybody cares about them, as well as the Nets.

I am Rangers, Mets, Jets :D

BlueShirts88 04-17-2012 10:35 PM

I root for all NY sports teams except the Islanders, for obvious reasons.

RangersFan 04-17-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries (Post 48294027)
You'll find exceptions everywhere, and different combinations everywhere. The most popular combination is mets/jets/islanders vs. yanks/giants/rangers due to geographic location.

Mets and Jets used to play in Shea, located in Queens (near LI where the Islanders play) so many times geographically Long Islanders have tradionally been Mets/Jets/Islanders.

don't discount the decade of NY Nets at the Coliseum that plays into it some too, though the knicks were unbelievable in the 70s so a lot of people love the knicks.

drubov 04-17-2012 10:38 PM

I'm a Rangers/Jets/Yankees/Knicks fan.

I feel like being a Yankees/Jets fan humbles my Yankee fanship. I'm not an obnoxious fan who's always talking about rings. I'm tired of being a lowly Jets fan, though. Come on. One. Just give me one.

MorrisWanchuk 04-17-2012 10:38 PM

You tend to get a lot of Jets & Rangers fans northeast of the city in the Hudson Valley.

Im Rangers only, not too bothered about the other sports.

Most of my Mets and Yankees friends are also Rangers fans - but they tend to live on Manhattan. Probably different out on LI

30theking 04-17-2012 10:39 PM

sometimes i forget the islanders are a new york team they're just so irrelevant right now when it comes to new york sports

nyr2k2 04-17-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries (Post 48294397)
I am Rangers, Mets, Jets :D

Me too. I'm sorry man. :shakehead

Krams 04-17-2012 10:44 PM

It's sporadic. Traditionally, it's Yankees/Giants/Rangers and Mets/Jets/Islanders but you'll see different variations. I'm a Mets/Jets/Rangers fan.

ImIdaho 04-17-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersFan (Post 48294289)
i am mets, giants, rangers, and knicks (when i feel like it, loved the 90s, ever since it's been nauseating)

Same. :cheers:

30theking 04-17-2012 10:51 PM

im a yankees/giants/rangers fan. can't get into basketaball.

Florida Ranger 04-17-2012 10:52 PM

Rangers, Giants...and

Rays...

Anybody besides me? No? Okay.

KingWantsCup 04-17-2012 10:55 PM

Rangers, Yankees, Giants for me. In that order. Rangers very far ahead of the other two.

McDonaghisGod 04-17-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30theking (Post 48296127)

Same here.

Kane One 04-17-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA (Post 48296177)
Rangers, Giants...and

Rays...

Anybody besides me? No? Okay.

Nope. I don't think anyone besides you is a Rays fan. :sarcasm:

NickyMaz 04-17-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30theking (Post 48296127)

Same here, can't and won't get into basketball.

Nyrvana 04-17-2012 11:08 PM

It all depends.

My grandfather grew up a New York Giant (baseball) fan that hated the Yankees but lived in the Bronx. So he is a fan of the SF Giants while I am a fan of the Mets living in the Bronx.

I've come to find that it really is random and everyone has their own stories.

White Plains Batman 04-17-2012 11:13 PM

I agree with the last poster, a lot depends on family.

People from Brooklyn who grew up with the Dodgers or in Manhattan with the baseball Giants might be Mets, Giants, Rangers, Knicks fans for example.

Also, the Jets only came to NY in 1960 so that is a factor as well.

Mint Berry Crunch 04-17-2012 11:18 PM

Rangers, Yankees, Raptors, Redskins. Srsly. :X

Kane One 04-17-2012 11:19 PM

Could Met fans be Jet fans because the Jets played in Shea? Same thing with the Giants; they played in Yankee Stadium.