HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LD Darnell Nurse - Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL (2013, 7th overall, Edmonton) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1170237)

Mr Lahey* 06-17-2011 06:05 PM

LD Darnell Nurse - Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL (2013, 7th overall, Edmonton)
 
Has anyone seen this guy play?

What can you tell me about him.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ell-Nurse.html

Drafted in the first round of the Priority Selection draft by SSM.

Tigers1992 06-17-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHoundsGo (Post 33716525)
Has anyone seen this guy play?

What can you tell me about him.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ell-Nurse.html

Drafted in the first round of the Priority Selection draft by SSM.

Similar upside to Eric Gudbranson. He is a good skater for his size, and once he matures and plays under a coach that will push him to be a more physical player, could be one of the better defenceman in the OHL. He still has issues with consistancy, but so do most 15 year olds.

wings5 06-18-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHoundsGo (Post 33716525)
Has anyone seen this guy play?

What can you tell me about him.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ell-Nurse.html

Drafted in the first round of the Priority Selection draft by SSM.

Just the final game of the OHL Cup on tv. Hard to get a good read on him just from there but he is a good skating defenceman who likes to join the rush but he looked wayyy out of position on many occasions. Not sure if this is due to poor coaching or just something he needs to iron out in his game. Tons of athletic tools though, maybe he can excel at the next level in a more structured environment.

Garyboy 06-18-2011 04:21 PM

Pros

Good skater
Physical
Good size

Cons

Often takes bad penalties
Decision making needs work

Manked 06-18-2011 04:24 PM

I was impressed with what I saw at the OHL Cup, but still has some work to do. Definitely a solid player, though.

Breakfast of Champs 06-18-2011 04:35 PM

From what i've seen of this guy he has all the tools to become an NHLer, however I feel when I watch him he either isnt giving his all or he isnt aware of how good he is because it sometimes seems like hes just going through the motions and not playing with that competitive edge he could. He reminds me of casey babineau of the rimouski oceanic a lot, hes good, but he could be a lot better if he decided to be.

Tigers1992 06-18-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnman10 (Post 33729368)
From what i've seen of this guy he has all the tools to become an NHLer, however I feel when I watch him he either isnt giving his all or he isnt aware of how good he is because it sometimes seems like hes just going through the motions and not playing with that competitive edge he could. He reminds me of casey babineau of the rimouski oceanic a lot, hes good, but he could be a lot better if he decided to be.

Alot of 15 year olds have that consistancy issue.

Once he matures both physically and emotionally I think he will be a real good one. Its all about coaching and his mental attributes. Ive been told that he is an excellent leader and has the drive, so he should get significantly better under the right coach.

Karlssonlee 06-19-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnman10 (Post 33729368)
From what i've seen of this guy he has all the tools to become an NHLer, however I feel when I watch him he either isnt giving his all or he isnt aware of how good he is because it sometimes seems like hes just going through the motions and not playing with that competitive edge he could. He reminds me of casey babineau of the rimouski oceanic a lot, hes good, but he could be a lot better if he decided to be.

Agreed.

Once he's able to truly establish himself on a team though, you will see how good this kid is. He just needs to gain confidence in his abilities.

He could be better than he is, he's athletically gifted

Cowen2 06-19-2011 01:08 PM

they say he is the next pronger

Tigers1992 06-19-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowen2 (Post 33740160)
they say he is the next pronger

"The Next Pronger" is an unfair comparison for a 15 year old. I know the hockey news attached that label, but he doesn't play a Pronger style.

It's like any forward who shows skill and an ability to play a two way game being called the next Yzerman.

Snowhawk 06-19-2011 04:48 PM

Saw this kid play this past season at the Whitby Silver Stick tournament. Actually went to see Max Domi but Nurse kept drawing my eye.

Very good skater for his size, was very poised with the puck... never seemed to panic. Made a good first pass out of his zone. Contrary to what I've read here, his positioning seemed to be pretty good. The only thing that seemed to be missing is consistency in the physical aspect of the game.

As far as Pronger comparisons go, he didn't seem to possess the nasty/mean streak that Pronger has.

I really like his game.

Pick Six 06-19-2011 05:08 PM

As others have said, he has all the tools to become one of the best defencemen in the OHL. He also brings a lot of leadership to his teams, captaining both his Minor Midget team and Team Ontario.

Tigers1992 06-19-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowhawk (Post 33743399)
Saw this kid play this past season at the Whitby Silver Stick tournament. Actually went to see Max Domi but Nurse kept drawing my eye.

Very good skater for his size, was very poised with the puck... never seemed to panic. Made a good first pass out of his zone. Contrary to what I've read here, his positioning seemed to be pretty good. The only thing that seemed to be missing is consistency in the physical aspect of the game.

As far as Pronger comparisons go, he didn't seem to possess the nasty/mean streak that Pronger has.

I really like his game.

Youve got it.

17Kurri 06-20-2011 03:59 PM

Hate to ask this, but with his American heritage, has he been on USNTDP's radar? Or is he committed to SSM?

Mikey71 06-20-2011 04:23 PM

He recently signed with the Soo, so he will be there.

HabLover 04-18-2012 12:30 AM

LD Darnell Nurse - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds - (2013 NHL Draft)
 
Was really impressed by this kid today at the U18's vs Team USA.

Skates well, aggressive, uses his body, plays tough......

Any thoughts on this play through the year in the OHL. Stats are not that great but he obviously did something right and got an invite to play for Canada at this years tourney as an underage.

3 Minute Minor 04-18-2012 10:00 AM

Fun fact: Darnell Nurse is Donovan McNabbs nephew.

Breakfast of Champs 04-18-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Thilander (Post 48315185)
Fun fact: Darnell Nurse is Donovan McNabbs nephew.

Through marriage I believe. He is also the son of former CFL player Richard Nurse.

islandermaniac 04-18-2012 04:50 PM

he made himself noticed in the game against the united states in positive ways.

hdtrax 04-18-2012 05:36 PM

I remember lots of early hype for this kid, around last year when people began talking about Max Domi. I'll keep an eye out for him, for sure.

puckfan13 04-18-2012 06:32 PM

Did not like that play when he came out from behind the net and got stripped and scrambled around. Granted, only one play, he's only 16-years-old. Will be following him closely next year.

ProspectTalk 05-07-2012 02:39 PM

Darnell Nurse 2013 Draft
 
In all the mock draft's i look at he is a 2nd rounder or a really late 1st round pick. He was on Team Canada for the U-18 and I didnt think he looked too bad. Why is he rated this low? Any potential rise ?

brutalhockey 05-07-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProspectTalk (Post 49391097)
In all the mock draft's i look at he is a 2nd rounder or a really late 1st round pick. He was on Team Canada for the U-18 and I didnt think he looked too bad. Why is he rated this low? Any potential rise ?

lost in the shuffle.

scoutman1 05-07-2012 09:38 PM

I know personally I find him soft to a degree, not aggressive enough, and does not use his size nor his skill level like he should...he has the talent, but I do not think he knows just how talented he really could be. 1st round I think not though, late 2nd round to early 3rd I would say.

17Kurri 05-07-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoutman1 (Post 49415487)
I know personally I find him soft to a degree, not aggressive enough, and does not use his size nor his skill level like he should...he has the talent, but I do not think he knows just how talented he really could be. 1st round I think not though, late 2nd round to early 3rd I would say.

Is he a 1st rounder if he figures it out?

But couldn't that be said for a bunch of kids?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.