HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Black tape vs. white tape? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1170985)

Fred Taylor 04-18-2012 06:15 PM

Black tape vs. white tape?
 
Which do you prefer to tape your stick with? Black for me.

Playerwinner 04-18-2012 06:19 PM

White AINEC especially for the top of my stick.

Lososaurus 04-18-2012 06:30 PM

White for the butt of the stick. Darkens over time, I like it.

I like using white on the blade so I can tell where I'm contacting the puck. As far as black vs. white on shooting and what goalies think, I have no idea.

BaconStrips 04-18-2012 06:35 PM

http://spck.imageg.net/graphics/prod...306151v275.jpg
AINEC

ponder 04-18-2012 06:39 PM

On the blade I flip flop, currently going with black though. Don't care much either way.

On the butt end, I don't use tape at all, I use a tacki-mac. Generally white though.

qmechanic 04-18-2012 07:02 PM

I don't really have a preference. Lately, I've been going with whatever color has the best contrast with my stick blade (e.g. white tape for black blade). My dubious theory is that people will have an easier time passing on tape.

Propane Nightmares 04-18-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lososaurus (Post 48342177)
As far as black vs. white on shooting and what goalies think, I have no idea.

As a goalie, I think it's a myth that black tape hides the puck. For my own tape, I prefer white because it seems to "stick better" on composite sticks and lasts longer, it can take more of a beating from pucks, black seems to rip more easily from shots. I use black tape on my RBK Euro though because it looks badass, being all black with the gold on it.

Axman 04-18-2012 07:34 PM

White on handle, black on the blade

wahsnairb 04-18-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axman (Post 48352035)
White on handle, black on the blade

this now that I have an RS, but usually I just rock white top and bottom.

hockeymass 04-18-2012 07:42 PM

I prefer white tape. White tape on the blade helps me to more easily identify where on the blade the puck is with my peripheral vision. I find myself able to carry the puck much more effectively without looking down than when I used to use black friction tape.

Scarecrow Boat 04-18-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Problems (Post 48351677)
As a goalie, I think it's a myth that black tape hides the puck. For my own tape, I prefer white because it seems to "stick better" on composite sticks and lasts longer, it can take more of a beating from pucks, black seems to rip more easily from shots. I use black tape on my RBK Euro though because it looks badass, being all black with the gold on it.

It may be a myth but it's much easier to read the puck off a white taped stick than a black taped stick. Black tape on your blade also sticks to the puck better (Granlund, Crosby, Jurco, Schremp, Ho-Sang all used black tape for their fancy moves). White tape up top, black tape rips up your gloves, at least it did for me one year and I never did it again.

ponder 04-18-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Problems (Post 48351677)
As a goalie, I think it's a myth that black tape hides the puck. For my own tape, I prefer white because it seems to "stick better" on composite sticks and lasts longer, it can take more of a beating from pucks, black seems to rip more easily from shots. I use black tape on my RBK Euro though because it looks badass, being all black with the gold on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Thilander (Post 48355955)
It may be a myth but it's much easier to read the puck off a white taped stick than a black taped stick. Black tape on your blade also sticks to the puck better (Granlund, Crosby, Jurco, Schremp, Ho-Sang all used black tape for their fancy moves). White tape up top, black tape rips up your gloves, at least it did for me one year and I never did it again.

I really don't see how you can make statements like that, it totally varies brand to brand. I mostly use Lowry (pro grade) and Renfrew (black and gold) tape. The white and black Lowry tapes are literally identical other than the colour. White vs. black Renfrew, I do notice a slight difference, the black seems to have a bit more of a gritty texture (more like sandpaper). There are no general qualities for white and black tape in general though re: texture, glue, durability, etc.

Wilch 04-18-2012 08:39 PM

White tape for knob and blade. Black tape in the middle to mitigate cosmetic damage.

Don't know if it's me, but seems like black tape wears out faster on the blade. Once water seeps into it, it loses adhesiveness quicker than white tape.

motalar 04-18-2012 09:13 PM

Black friction tape on the blade. White tape on top, but lately I have been using that gauze-type tape over the top.

Scarecrow Boat 04-18-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 48362493)
I really don't see how you can make statements like that, it totally varies brand to brand. I mostly use Lowry (pro grade) and Renfrew (black and gold) tape. The white and black Lowry tapes are literally identical other than the colour. White vs. black Renfrew, I do notice a slight difference, the black seems to have a bit more of a gritty texture (more like sandpaper). There are no general qualities for white and black tape in general though re: texture, glue, durability, etc.

I can only speak for myself here but I'm making these statements based off my own experience... Playing hockey a lot of guys have different preferences and I'm simply sharing my own. A lot of people have said for a number of years that black tape seems stickier than white tape. I could really care less if it's 100% true or not but I've found that it black tape does in fact work better for that type of puck handling.

I also added in 5 examples of guys who have been known to play with the puck on their stick like they have a magnet in their blade and all 5 of them have always used black tape on their stick (Is that really a fluke?). Feel free to go look up videos of them if you'd like the proof. I even recall The Hockey News Issue from January where Ho-Sang was laughing at Connor McDavid because he couldn't get the puck on his stick at a photo shoot. He said something along the lines of "it works better with black tape, I have no idea why". I'd go find the exact quote but I'm lazy and I know for a fact it was something along those lines.

ponder 04-18-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Thilander (Post 48368601)
I can only speak for myself here but I'm making these statements based off my own experience... Playing hockey a lot of guys have different preferences and I'm simply sharing my own. A lot of people have said for a number of years that black tape seems stickier than white tape. I could really care less if it's 100% true or not but I've found that it black tape does in fact work better for that type of puck handling.

I also added in 5 examples of guys who have been known to play with the puck on their stick like they have a magnet in their blade and all 5 of them have always used black tape on their stick (Is that really a fluke?). Feel free to go look up videos of them if you'd like the proof. I even recall The Hockey News Issue from January where Ho-Sang was laughing at Connor McDavid because he couldn't get the puck on his stick at a photo shoot. He said something along the lines of "it works better with black tape, I have no idea why". I'd go find the exact quote but I'm lazy and I know for a fact it was something along those lines.

Yes, total fluke. Giroux, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin, etc. all stickhandle with the puck on a string too, and use white tape (or at least generally use white tape, Malkin I've seen occasionally use black tape too). I feel like in general white tape is a bit more popular than black tape in the NHL, but I think that's more aesthetic than anything. I've used lots of brands of tape, sometimes the black and white tape seem a bit different for any given brand, sometimes they seem the seem identical, but regardless the difference is IMO always small compared to the general differences between brands (i.e. Lowry white is more similar to Lowry black than it is to Renfrew white, Andover white, 3M white, Howie's white, etc.). I really don't see these general trends in stickiness between white and black tape.

dwreckm 04-18-2012 09:44 PM

I generally use black tape, and then I wax it.

Fanned On It 04-18-2012 11:07 PM

Yeah I've been going for contrast lately as well... White on black for the blade. The top of my Total ONE shaft is Yellow.... and the top of my Warrior Widow is black with red grip tape over it.

WingsFan95 04-19-2012 01:22 AM

Black for both.

Has to be my preferred style with everything from running clothes to casual wear.

I prefer all-black.

Scarecrow Boat 04-19-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 48369399)
Yes, total fluke. Giroux, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Malkin, Semin, Ovechkin, etc. all stickhandle with the puck on a string too, and use white tape (or at least generally use white tape, Malkin I've seen occasionally use black tape too). I feel like in general white tape is a bit more popular than black tape in the NHL, but I think that's more aesthetic than anything. I've used lots of brands of tape, sometimes the black and white tape seem a bit different for any given brand, sometimes they seem the seem identical, but regardless the difference is IMO always small compared to the general differences between brands (i.e. Lowry white is more similar to Lowry black than it is to Renfrew white, Andover white, 3M white, Howie's white, etc.). I really don't see these general trends in stickiness between white and black tape.

I didn't say stickhandle... You're talking about a skillset completely different than me. I'm talking about guys who literally stick the puck to their blade when I talk about Crosby, Granlund, Ho-Sang, Schremp, and Jurco:
Crosby:


Granlund:


Schremp:


Jurco:


Ho-Sang:

jorbjorb 04-19-2012 08:41 AM

I like white cause it looks cooler.

Saucy Dangles 04-19-2012 09:23 AM

I've always used white tape, it tends to be more durable and provides contrast. I play defense so there's no need for me to disguise/hide my shot from 60+ feet out. I usually rawk white tape and then rub it down with a puck to darken it a tad as well as the rubber provides some anti soaking.

BaconStrips 04-19-2012 09:44 AM

Man, no support for pink?

Propane Nightmares 04-19-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Thilander (Post 48368601)
I can only speak for myself here but I'm making these statements based off my own experience...

Same here.

Our team gets supplied tape and the white tape he gives us just seems (emphasis on seems I never said it's a fact) to stick better to my goalie stick than black tape and take less damage from pucks.

Jarick 04-19-2012 10:03 AM

I go back and forth. Never matters, always just for looks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.