HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Berger: Luongo To Toronto? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1171029)

Alazais 04-18-2012 07:09 PM

Luongo To Toronto?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howar...-Bound/3/43937

Not saying this is a certainty - Neither is Berger.

This is just a means to facilitate a discussion. Use your heads when posting here.

Keep it civil and have a reasonable discussion.

Ready? GO!

Steve 04-18-2012 07:12 PM

I'd be all for it, he's a great goaltender. That being said, his value can not be that of the top tier goalie that he is simply due to that contract.

Nickolopolous 04-18-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 48347237)
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howar...-Bound/3/43937

Not saying this is a certainty - Neither is Berger.

This is just a means to facilitate a discussion. Use your heads when posting here. I won't have this turn into the usual absurd, child-like, playground shoving match that it usually turns it into.

Keep it civil and have a reasonable discussion.

Ready? GO!

You can't stop me, bra: "Robertlol Reboundo."

I'm just kidding. I think we would be fortunate to have a goalie with half as much skill as Luongo. I'm not a big fan, but I appreciate what he can do in goal most of the time. And, lets be serious, being a goaltender is all about what you do most-of-the-time.

KlattNazty 04-18-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 48347843)
I'd be all for it, he's a great goaltender. That being said, his value can not be that of the top tier goalie that he is simply due to that contract.

His age as well.

SprDaVE 04-18-2012 07:14 PM

People will shiver at the thought but I would be down if the price was right.

Vancouver have to trade one of Luongo orSchneider and considering Luongo is benched again when he wasn't even at fault at all this series tells you who will be traded.

There's no way Burke gives up an arm and a leg for Luongo and his contract.

I'm sure Vancouver fans will want top picks and prospects for him... but that won't happen. Even with Luongo at his peak value when he was traded to Vancouver, the assets were pretty average.

I could see a prospect like Mikus or Holzer in the package, along with a roster player like MacArthur and perhaps a pick. Something along those lines.

Jerkini 04-18-2012 07:17 PM

Depends on what Vancouver wants in return. I'd have no problems with his contract if this was a typical "salary dump" deal.

He'd be the stud goalie we've lacked since 03-04 Belfour, oddly enough the last time we made the playoffs.

Swervin81 04-18-2012 07:17 PM

At least one of LACK would have to be included along with Reimer and more, so I'd be ok, if the Price is Right.

Rude Dog 04-18-2012 07:17 PM

Awful contract....awful idea.

SeenSchenn2 04-18-2012 07:18 PM

No.

This is the dumbest suggestion in years.

Jerkini 04-18-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 (Post 48349337)
No.

This is the dumbest suggestion in years.

Obtaining a genuine number one goaltender is a dumb suggestion? :huh:

Swervin81 04-18-2012 07:21 PM

Lost in all this is how Burke's business morals and ethics would interfere with such a deal from even being discussed.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=683

SeenSchenn2 04-18-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerkini (Post 48349509)

At that age, on that contract, for significant assets?

What was our problem pre-lockout again?

Wendelstache 04-18-2012 07:25 PM

Reimer + Phaneuf + Armstrong for Luo + 2nd

thats fair value :)

JMcLeaf 04-18-2012 07:27 PM

Why would he waive his NTC to come here?

LC 04-18-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerkini (Post 48349509)

Playoffs are a bad idea...might give us hope.

thebluemachine* 04-18-2012 07:29 PM

Huge pass, if Vancouver is moving him it's because he isn't good enough. And there's that horrid 12 year contract too, that's their problem not ours.

NugentHopkinsfan 04-18-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprDaVE (Post 48348429)
People will shiver at the thought but I would be down if the price was right.

Vancouver have to trade one of Luongo orSchneider and considering Luongo is benched again when he wasn't even at fault at all this series tells you who will be traded.

There's no way Burke gives up an arm and a leg for Luongo and his contract.

I'm sure Vancouver fans will want top picks and prospects for him... but that won't happen. Even with Luongo at his peak value when he was traded to Vancouver, the assets were pretty average.

I could see a prospect like Mikus or Holzer in the package, along with a roster player like MacArthur and perhaps a pick. Something along those lines.

I agree with your overall point, the return would not be spectacular.

But a power forward like Bertuzzi coming off a 71 point season was a major asset. This was before he suffered his back injury with the Panthers and was still thought of as a premier power forward.

Bryan Allen has been a top 4 d-man much of the time since the trade and had a lot of value due to his size and potential at the time. He was also a high pick.

Auld was pretty unproven but showed some signs of being an ok goalie.

Had Bertuzzi not got injured it probably would have been a somewhat fair trade. It was a good package for a goalie.

Erdinger 04-18-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swervin81 (Post 48350059)
Lost in all this is how Burke's business morals and ethics would interfere with such a deal from even being discussed.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=683

Hopefully he stands by them again and doesn't trade for Luongo.

KuleminFan41 04-18-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerkini (Post 48348865)
Depends on what Vancouver wants in return. I'd have no problems with his contract if this was a typical "salary dump" deal.

He'd be the stud goalie we've lacked since 03-04 Belfour, oddly enough the last time we made the playoffs.

And Belfour was 37 at the time he came over too

LC 04-18-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebluemachine (Post 48351465)
Huge pass, if Vancouver is moving him it's because he isn't good enough. And there's that horrid 12 year contract too, that's their problem not ours.

They are moving him because Schneider can take his place for less money. He is still a #1 goaltender and he's better than anything we have on the horizon.

teddygmr 04-18-2012 07:37 PM

Leafs can't afford Luongo's hi salary cap hit!
If they add Louie's salary, they won't be able to afford Rick Nash.
They can only add one of them! I'm much more confident in Reimer and Scrivens behind Carlyle's Defensive system and with Nash contributing 35-40 goals!
Besides, Luongo has a no-trade clause and only would accept moving to Florida or Tampa.

Interactif 04-18-2012 07:37 PM

I rarely read anything Berger writes, but Vancouver would have to throw in a kicker for any team to take on Luongo's contract, especially if they lose in the 1st rd.

No kidding, taking him off their hands would be as close to doing Gillis a favour.

Durkin67 04-18-2012 07:38 PM

You're never going to see a franchise goalie go for less. Id like it, but I doubt Burke goes there unless he can dump salary like Komi and Army to make it happen

Erdinger 04-18-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC (Post 48352307)
They are moving him because Schneider can take his place for less money. He is still a #1 goaltender and he's better than anything we have on the horizon.

Best wait and see what the new CBA looks like until taking on that contract.

p.l.f. 04-18-2012 07:38 PM

:o not sure what to offer