HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Ohio Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1171191)

Tom Morris 04-18-2012 08:58 PM

Ohio Blue Jackets

I have a cousin who lives in Dayton, Ohio. He said that the Columbus Blue Jackets are seriously considering changing their name to the Ohio Blue Jackets.

How soon is this expected to happen? Thanks!!

blahblah 04-18-2012 09:02 PM

News to me. Also didn't realize the team was moving from Columbus to Ohio. If we knew when they were "going to do it" you would already know when.

1857 Howitzer 04-18-2012 09:02 PM

My guess would be never.

You sure he has not mistaken the defunct USHL Ohio Jr Blue Jackets or the Ohio AAA Blue Jackets names as being something related to the Columbus Blue Jackets?

http://images.wikia.com/icehockey/im...lueJackets.jpg http://www.nationalhockeyrankings.co.../Logos/519.jpg

BTW I would be very unhappy if this every happened.

Paisano* 04-18-2012 09:04 PM

The Jackets have done many dumb things in their existence, if they would do this, that would definitely top the list! There is no talk that I have heard of this happening.

Mayor Bee 04-18-2012 09:24 PM

I did a quick trademark search; there's nothing listed under "Ohio Blue Jackets" or any variation of such.

If a team is going to make any type of switch, whether in name, logos, wordmarks, or anything else, the new ones are filed months if not years in advance. The fact that there are no returns on this search would lead to believe that there's nothing coming up in the next year or two (at minimum).

sbkbghockey 04-18-2012 09:39 PM

I don't think they will but I also don't know if this would be a bad decision. They do market themselves as Ohio's team. Things like the Summer tour at various events and parades around Ohio. When I've gone to games there's generally people from all over Ohio in the stands. One of the last times I sat next to a amateur hockey referee from Toledo and a couple from Cincinnati behind me, some OSU grad students on the other side of me. Even the arena- there's Skyline Chili from Cincy area and Southwest Ohio and Tim Hortons from Northern Ohio. Columbus is the capital and centrally located so there's people from all over Ohio living in Columbus and ppl from the rest of the state can travel to Columbus easily.

A number of other teams have names that represent wider geographic areas and/or states:
Carolina Hurricanes
Colorado Avalanche
Florida Panthers
Minnesota Wild
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders

joshjoshjosh 04-18-2012 09:41 PM

No go away

Crede777 04-18-2012 09:52 PM

As long as they (or the arena) are getting money from the city of Columbus, I think they'll stay the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Mayor Bee 04-18-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbkbghockey (Post 48371411)
I don't think they will but I also don't know if this would be a bad decision. They do market themselves as Ohio's team. Things like the Summer tour at various events and parades around Ohio. When I've gone to games there's generally people from all over Ohio in the stands. One of the last times I sat next to a amateur hockey referee from Toledo and a couple from Cincinnati behind me, some OSU grad students on the other side of me. Even the arena- there's Skyline Chili from Cincy area and Southwest Ohio and Tim Hortons from Northern Ohio. Columbus is the capital and centrally located so there's people from all over Ohio living in Columbus and ppl from the rest of the state can travel to Columbus easily.

A number of other teams have names that represent wider geographic areas and/or states:
Carolina Hurricanes
Colorado Avalanche
Florida Panthers
Minnesota Wild
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders

In most of those cases, there was some type of prior precedent. The Carolina Panthers (NFL), Colorado Rockies (NHL), Minnesota Twins (MLB), Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA), Minnesota Vikings (NFL), and anything within an hour of NYC is "New York".

I'd imagine that New Jersey was picked because East Rutherford Devils is just awful. And Florida Panthers was because there was beginning to be a greater emphasis on critically endangered species, of which the Florida panther is one.

leesmith 04-18-2012 10:08 PM

ohiobluejackets.com was not registered. It is now... by someone who will make sure it NEVER gets used. LOL

Mayor Bee 04-18-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 48375087)
ohiobluejackets.com was not registered. It is now... by someone who will make sure it NEVER gets used. LOL

It's too good of a domain not to use. Suggested uses:

- A gathering place for CBJ fans across Ohio
- A general fan site, complete with original content
- A host domain for the debates between myself and Capn, for those who have a lot of time to kill. In keeping with both his avatar and the Bryan/Darrow nature of such debates, the winner of each will receive the Dr. Zaius award for finally making a monkey out of Troy McClure. (Yes, I was watching The Simpsons earlier)
- A site for hockey around the state, from AAA bantam to high school to the minor pro and NHL levels. I've been kicking around the idea of a new online hockey mag for a few months now anyway.

Hugg 04-18-2012 11:44 PM

That would go a long way to further cement the inferiority complex this city already suffers from.

DoggyII 04-19-2012 05:46 AM

I lived in Cleveland for ten years..changing name to "Ohio" doesn't excite me and I doubt it would change the way hockey fans in the rest of the state perceive the team.

BTW, I believe Tim Horton's is owned by Wendy's, a Columbus company and I don't think there are any in the Cleveland area or Northern Ohio. As for Skyline Chili, don't they have locations all over Columbus? I highly doubt there are any advertisers in the building that don't have a presence in Columbus.

The Blue Jackets are Columbus' team...but that doesn't mean people from the rest of Ohio can't adopt them as their home team (like I did).

kevinsane 04-19-2012 05:53 AM

The Ohio Neon Mosquitoes was apparently taken?

Double-Shift Lassť 04-19-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Morris (Post 48365379)
I have a cousin who lives in Dayton, Ohio. He said that the Columbus Blue Jackets are seriously considering changing their name to the Ohio Blue Jackets.

How soon is this expected to happen? Thanks!!

It's not. Your cousin is either wrong, messing with you or you misunderstood.

BluejacketNut 04-19-2012 07:04 AM

I wouldnt put it past them to get the revenue for having to buy new things saying Ohio instead of Columbus

1857 Howitzer 04-19-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluejacketNut (Post 48392145)
I wouldnt put it past them to get the revenue for having to buy new things saying Ohio instead of Columbus

That was just done with the new 3rd jersey and they will be riding that for a few more years.

blahblah 04-19-2012 09:09 AM

I don't see this happening. However to get this arena deal done, money was borrowed from the state. Unlikely that some politician would bother putting a name change around the loan, but politicians are odd creatures.

CapnCornelius 04-19-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 48394909)
I don't see this happening. However to get this arena deal done, money was borrowed from the state. Unlikely that some politician would bother putting a name change around the loan, but politicians are odd creatures.

I had a similar thought, opposite result. Franklin County owns the Arena. Wouldn't they want the benefit of promoting their biggest city instead of the State generally? And the City of Anaheim did specify it when they refurbished the Pond--as fallout from the Angels debacle they wanted to make sure the name DIDN'T change.

So, for this reason amongst others, I don't see it happening.

blahblah 04-19-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 48395275)
I had a similar thought, opposite result. Franklin County owns the Arena. Wouldn't they want the benefit of promoting their biggest city instead of the State generally? And the City of Anaheim did specify it when they refurbished the Pond--as fallout from the Angels debacle they wanted to make sure the name DIDN'T change.

So, for this reason amongst others, I don't see it happening.

Yep, Franklin County wouldn't, at least I can't see a reason why. I doubt a State rep would push for it.

1857 Howitzer 04-19-2012 09:33 AM

Why stop at Ohio? Let's go with Nationwide Blue Jackets and become Americas team. ;)

JACKETfan 04-19-2012 09:34 AM

A name change would suck.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/pi...pictureid=6337

Inquiring Minds 04-19-2012 09:54 AM

I for one would welcome a name change under the theory that anything to confuse the Hockey gods would be a good thing.
-Go ahead and curse those nasty Columbus Blue Jackets; but those new guys the Ohio Blue Jackets? Hmmmm. Well let's give those guys a break or two.

BluejacketNut 04-19-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer (Post 48392407)
That was just done with the new 3rd jersey and they will be riding that for a few more years.

Ohh that wouldnt stop them :laugh:

Nordique 04-19-2012 10:25 AM

I'd have to punch someone in the nose if they starting chanting " O - H - I - O " at CBJ games.