HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Some advice for the PowerPlay (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1171275)

poeman 04-18-2012 09:51 PM

Some advice for the PowerPlay

SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK! :rant::rant:

We got up 2-0 after throwing all of the pucks to the net...Goals were going in after the rebound.

I found the ice to be terrible in Ottawa, so much bounce to the puck so why not fire at the goaltender and see what happens?

Its what Ottawa does for the most part on their offense...Fire the shots on the PP and that is a good on its own... Cliche real talk

McDunna with Fries 04-18-2012 10:01 PM

Here's another bit of advice: A corpse is better than Stepan at this point. Use KREIDER!

M0rbid 04-18-2012 10:23 PM

Just....crash...the...net.

Rangers Fail 04-18-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries (Post 48374371)
Here's another bit of advice: A corpse is better than Stepan at this point. Use KREIDER!

At least he's off the first unit. That's a start. And Hagelin never got any PP time. What makes you think Kreider is getting it?

(Really, though, it can't be worse than Mitchell.)

McDunna with Fries 04-18-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat (Post 48377789)
At least he's off the first unit. That's a start. And Hagelin never got any PP time. What makes you think Kreider is getting it?

(Really, though, it can't be worse than Mitchell.)

It doesn't even matter.. at one point you have to start grasping at straws.

ImIdaho 04-18-2012 10:44 PM

Also, when shooting the puck, can we please have it on goal? Except Stralman, our D just love taking shots that bounce off the boards, and it's not because their accuracy sucks, they do it on purpose.

Fanned On It 04-18-2012 10:59 PM

Yeah Ottawa's #1 offensive strategy, at least against us (a team that clogs up the slot), is to get the puck to the point (aka Karlsson) and rip slappers for deflections/rebounds. We did that on the first two power plays and got two goals... what made our guys not want to do it anymore?

Completely blew that game...

wafflepadsave 04-18-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santini5389 (Post 48380155)
Yeah Ottawa's #1 offensive strategy, at least against us (a team that clogs up the slot), is to get the puck to the point (aka Karlsson) and rip slappers for deflections/rebounds. We did that on the first two power plays and got two goals... what made our guys not want to do it anymore?

Completely blew that game...

Just too easy.:banghead:

XLJ 04-18-2012 11:18 PM

We need an offensive dman that has a big time shot. Del Zotto is scared to shoot and he is not very accurate with his shot. Girardi doesn't belong on the powerplay.

Rangers Fail 04-18-2012 11:22 PM

Looks like Stralman is the only one who's not afraid to shoot from the point. Why don't these guys shoot from there? Is it because they fear it'll get blocked and cause a breakaway? Could happen, but not very likely if you keep your shot low. DZ is like a scared chicken at the point. I'd say give McD more PP time, but he's already leading on TOI in ES and PK. We need to clone of McD.

Dangleberry 04-18-2012 11:46 PM

Yeah I agree, shoot the puck. But most of those shots would've been from a wide angle anyway, so I can see why they were trying to make the extra pass. We had a lot of chances this game but couldn't capitalize, oh well live and learn.

satrabyk 04-18-2012 11:47 PM

Yes but Richards and Gaborik dont box out when shots are thrown so they can easily clear the puck if we dont score. This is why the PP has to take more time to look for the more highest percentage scoring play, in the mean time sacraficing more quantity of shots. Richards and Gaby are not willing to engage enough in front of the net and down low and only Cally who does it well but isnt exactly a physical force as Neil or Greening is in terms of size.

True Believer 04-19-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poeman (Post 48373169)
I found the ice to be terrible in Ottawa,

Stopped reading right there. We have some of the best ice makers in the world working for us and we don't have 15 other non-hockey related things going on in our building every other night. The ice was fine.

we want cup 04-19-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Believer (Post 48385749)
Stopped reading right there. We have some of the best ice makers in the world working for us and we don't have 15 other non-hockey related things going on in our building every other night. The ice was fine.

Don't know what games you were watching. The puck bounced all over the place through games 3 and 4. I'm sure your ice-makers are very nice people, but for whatever reason, the ice has sucked.

NYR Sting 04-19-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satrabyk (Post 48384357)
Yes but Richards and Gaborik dont box out when shots are thrown so they can easily clear the puck if we dont score. This is why the PP has to take more time to look for the more highest percentage scoring play, in the mean time sacraficing more quantity of shots. Richards and Gaby are not willing to engage enough in front of the net and down low and only Cally who does it well but isnt exactly a physical force as Neil or Greening is in terms of size.

Good post. Looking for the higher percentage shot is the best strategy anyway, particularly on the power play, but the Rangers don't have much of a choice. They need to do it.

The reason Ottawa can have Karlsson shooting the puck from the point is because Karlsson has an accurate wrist shot and slapshot. He's also tremendous at picking his spots and creating for others from the point, as well as anywhere else on the ice. The Rangers defense is okay offensively, but no one the nature of Karlsson.

ck20 04-19-2012 01:34 AM

Here's some advice: move around. You guys have legs, use them. Hell, use them when we're setting up for the up-ice rush on the PP; there's usually never anyone ever actually skating to make a pass to from our zone. Everyone just stands around while we almost always retreat behind our net with the puck nearly every single time the puck leaves the offensive zone. That's another thing: watching other teams, their goalies will almost always come out to about the circles to pass the puck back up ice quickly in order to keep the momentum going..but we ALWAYS kill it by resetting behind our net. Then what do we do 9 times out of 10 if we're lucky enough to carry it through the neutral zone and get close to their blueline? Dump it in. Then we get terribly beat to the puck, they fling it out, rinse repeat and that's the end of our PP most of the time. In the off-chance we are actually able to set up, the entire team grows roots and literally stands where ever they are.

Also, it's infuriating to see them not utilize both points on the PP. 10 times out of 10, the defenseman closer to the benches will get the puck, dump it back around the boards while the other defenseman is 100% wide open for the entire duration of the PP. And no one seems to understand or see it. Every single game I find myself repeating "pass to DZ, pass to DZ, pass to DZ, pass to DZ.." while they cycle around the boards like idiots. They have to realize sooner much rather than later that you can't grind out every single goal, someone has to take a shot.

qwertyaas 04-19-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Believer (Post 48385749)

During game 3 it was mid 80s outside wasn't it? That sure affects it.

Dangleberry 04-19-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htk30 (Post 48388847)
Here's some advice: move around. You guys have legs, use them. Hell, use them when we're setting up for the up-ice rush on the PP; there's usually never anyone ever actually skating to make a pass to from our zone. Everyone just stands around while we almost always retreat behind our net with the puck nearly every single time the puck leaves the offensive zone. That's another thing: watching other teams, their goalies will almost always come out to about the circles to pass the puck back up ice quickly in order to keep the momentum going..but we ALWAYS kill it by resetting behind our net. Then what do we do 9 times out of 10 if we're lucky enough to carry it through the neutral zone and get close to their blueline? Dump it in. Then we get terribly beat to the puck, they fling it out, rinse repeat and that's the end of our PP most of the time. In the off-chance we are actually able to set up, the entire team grows roots and literally stands where ever they are.

Also, it's infuriating to see them not utilize both points on the PP. 10 times out of 10, the defenseman closer to the benches will get the puck, dump it back around the boards while the other defenseman is 100% wide open for the entire duration of the PP. And no one seems to understand or see it. Every single game I find myself repeating "pass to DZ, pass to DZ, pass to DZ, pass to DZ.." while they cycle around the boards like idiots. They have to realize sooner much rather than later that you can't grind out every single goal, someone has to take a shot.

Yeah I hate to see them dump it in all the time, but take a look at our roster. These aren't skill guys with the greatest puckhandling ability. The handful of times I saw them try to carry the puck in was atrocious, we either get stuck by the blue line or turn it over. The dump and chase works since we don't give up that many odd man rushes when we use it.

Stugots 04-19-2012 07:47 AM

I don't know how much longer I can bear to hear the words "Girardi shoots wide!" The 2nd powerplay unit- if you want to call them a powerplay unit- is awful. I would keep the 1st unit on for 1:30 and give the 2nd unit not more than 30 seconds. Oh, and when John Mitchell gets powerplay time you know you're in trouble.

Upgrayedd 04-19-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

We got up 2-0 after throwing all of the pucks to the net...Goals were going in after the rebound.

I found the ice to be terrible in Ottawa, so much bounce to the puck so why not fire at the goaltender and see what happens?

Its what Ottawa does for the most part on their offense...Fire the shots on the PP and that is a good on its own... Cliche real talk

What position did you play last night didn't see you out there nor at the game at all?

Very rich coming from a rangers fan, home of the world's worst ice! Ice was fine yesterday as it was not humid in ottawa like game 3.... Go Sens!

Mio41 04-19-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

If this PP clicke dthis series would be over already, our biggest defeciency...

Clowes Line 04-19-2012 08:00 AM

Some advice.... MOVE! They stand still and just pass it back and forth in a pentagon formation. Move without the puck you **** heads.

Mio41 04-19-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin (Post 48393055)
Some advice.... MOVE! They stand still and just pass it back and forth in a pentagon formation. Move without the puck you **** heads.

They're killing the PP for the Sens(itives)

NYRKING30 04-19-2012 09:08 AM

pretty much agree with whats being said here. basically ottawa's players are just waiting for us to cycle it down low on the boards. whenever you see one of our players skating up the wall towards the point on the pp they always reverse it to go back down low to cycle, ottawa has picked this up countless amounts of times and now are just sitting waiting on that play to happen. adjustments,yeah we need to make some now.

WhipNash27 04-19-2012 09:11 AM

Ice didn't look bad last night. Game 3 was brutal, but hot weather will do that.