HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   HF Article: First Edition of Montreal Prospects Awards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1171773)

David Thicke 04-19-2012 01:54 PM

First Edition of Montreal Prospects Awards

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ospect_awards/

This is a new type of article for the HF site and I would love some feedback and comments on it. I am also open to any suggestions for good ideas of possible award categories for next years.

Thanks for reading and your comments!:cheers:
David

Belso 04-19-2012 02:13 PM

Nice. So disappointed about Avtsin :(

overlords 04-19-2012 02:35 PM

Like most HF articles, not much depth or analysis, just a pretty flat, face valued report on the amount of points/goals/etc accumulated in X league.

SeriousHabs 04-19-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belso (Post 48404877)
Nice. So disappointed about Avtsin :(

You had hopes?

Lizard King* 04-19-2012 03:10 PM

Looks like we have some good defence coming up and we'll have a solid D in a couple of years. If we can trade one of them packaged with a forward and a good pick we can land a good center to play with whoever we'll draft this year.

x-bob 04-19-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 48405883)
Like most HF articles, not much depth or analysis, just a pretty flat, face valued report on the amount of points/goals/etc accumulated in X league.

A bit harsh but I do get where you are coming from. As someone who doesn't know much about the Habs prospects, I enjoyed the read quite a bit. I vaguely know their names but, other than that, I haven't followed their progression as much as I did in the past. I do understand that someone who has had a minimum amount of interest in these players throughout the season would complain about the lack of depth.

A bit more thorough analysis would be a welcome improvement but it's a decent article nonetheless.

bcv 04-19-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriousHabs (Post 48406527)
You had hopes?

Everyone is hoping he pans out.

UniverStalinGraduate* 04-19-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Thicke (Post 48403897)
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ospect_awards/

This is a new type of article for the HF site and I would love some feedback and comments on it. I am also open to any suggestions for good ideas of possible award categories for next years.

Thanks for reading and your comments!:cheers:
David

David I thought the Habs have no prospects and things are more bleak than ever? :sarcasm:

Really good write up, I like hearing that about Ian Schultz in particular.

Is Morgan Ellis really expected to be that good? I was suprised to see him listed as the best d-man...

Did make sense when I saw the best offensive prospect, but what about Tinordi? Tinordi has really good potential, and you see Ellis over him? Is it possible Ellis is a gem for them?

Also, how does Beaulieau get top offensive prospect but Gallagher best overall prospect? That seems odd to me.

Belso 04-19-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

You had hopes?

He was the Russian MHL poster boy. In the first game, Ovechkin was the color commentator and they were drooling over him...

So ya, I had hopes...

Belso 04-19-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate (Post 48408341)
David I thought the Habs have no prospects and things are more bleak than ever? :sarcasm:

Really good write up, I like hearing that about Ian Schultz in particular.

Is Morgan Ellis really expected to be that good? I was suprised to see him listed as the best d-man...

Did make sense when I saw the best offensive prospect, but what about Tinordi? Tinordi has really good potential, and you see Ellis over him? Is it possible Ellis is a gem for them?

Also, how does Beaulieau get top offensive prospect but Gallagher best overall prospect? That seems odd to me.

I am happy about Ellis. He's a surprise for me. The guy matched Beaulieau in Points AND is very good defensively.. Can't wait to see what he can do in Hamilton :)

larrypacman8167 04-19-2012 03:41 PM

cool, fun read !

WeThreeKings 04-19-2012 03:51 PM

Avtsin still has one more season in the AHL to prove he's good enough.

With the influx of talent, he has no more excuses.

Habs 04-19-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 48405883)

Oh darn, I just agreed with you on something.

Vasculio 04-19-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

You had hopes?

Who didn't ?

SeriousHabs 04-19-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasculio (Post 48411467)
Who didn't ?

Me. He has always reminded me of those douches in beer leagues that have practiced the same 2 moves all their lives, have a success rate of 0,45% with said moves yet they keep on trying them again and again and again. They have never heard of backchecking or team play. That is how I have always seen Avstin, and every time I see him at Habs' development camps in the corner doing his little moves by himself while others are actually working, I get a surge of confirmation bias and I pat myself on the back.

EDIT: then again, I thought Chipchura was a great prospect, so wtf do I know.

Habs 04-19-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriousHabs (Post 48411869)
Me. He has always reminded me of those douches in beer leagues that have practiced the same 2 moves all their lives, have a success rate of 0,45% with said moves yet they keep on trying them again and again and again.

In our league those superstars wear the old Jofa helmets and never wash their gear, just so everyone knows they used to be special.

Em Ancien 04-19-2012 04:58 PM

Max Trunev, Alex Avtsin, Dan Pribyl...all got so hyped for being unknown and Europeans.

Shaby23 04-19-2012 05:03 PM

Can't wait to see Brendan Gallagher next year. He was the most exciting player to see in the training camp this year. Always drive to the net and he's not afraid of anybody( kinda like Brad Marchand but with more potential). He is by far our most nhl-ready prospects we have right now.

Hope he makes the team and play with Pleks next year ( i know i know this is almost impossible, but eh, who would have thought that DD was going to be our first center;) )

Vasculio 04-19-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriousHabs (Post 48411869)
Me. He has always reminded me of those douches in beer leagues that have practiced the same 2 moves all their lives, have a success rate of 0,45% with said moves yet they keep on trying them again and again and again. They have never heard of backchecking or team play. That is how I have always seen Avstin, and every time I see him at Habs' development camps in the corner doing his little moves by himself while others are actually working, I get a surge of confirmation bias and I pat myself on the back.

EDIT: then again, I thought Chipchura was a great prospect, so wtf do I know.

Have you seen him play often ? Cause aside from last pre-season, I never saw him play live. I was just going by hearsay, that he's supposedly full of potential.

Oh, and as for Chipchura, I thought he would be great too... ;)

Protest the Hero 04-19-2012 06:33 PM

Can't argue with any of the picks. Joonas Nattinen had 9 of his goals in the last 23 games, hopefully that carries over to next year.

For those wondering, yes Morgan Ellis is that good.

LyricalLyricist 04-19-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Em Ancien (Post 48412509)
Max Trunev, Alex Avtsin, Dan Pribyl...all got so hyped for being unknown and Europeans.

and it will continue. It's nice to hope for the draft steal but sometimes it's just weird. "trunev would've been a first round pick next year!".

Macbeth 04-19-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Don't forget the very exotic Cory Urquhart, out of Halifaxia, Montenegro.

overlords 04-19-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 48410405)
Oh darn, I just agreed with you on something.

Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure being wrong all the time has it's advantages.

Guilliam 04-19-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Well I for one was never really excited about Trunev. As far as Avtsin go, he wasn't hyped because he was european as you say, he had fantastic stats in the MHL.

And for Pribyl, don't you think it's a bit early to write him off? just because the other two didn't pan out, it doesn't mean he won't...

Em Ancien 04-19-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guilliam (Post 48420553)
Well I for one was never really excited about Trunev. As far as Avtsin go, he wasn't hyped because he was european as you say, he had fantastic stats in the MHL.

And for Pribyl, don't you think it's a bit early to write him off? just because the other two didn't pan out, it doesn't mean he won't...

I think it's early to write all of them out. But their hype has pretty much all died out. Pribyl has a lot of hockey ahead of him, so he's still an intriguing prospect, but Trunev is actually the one that's making the most headway. Might be a breakout player in the KHL next year after a decent first full season.