HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Rick and The Chief (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1171797)

The YzerJesus 04-19-2012 01:17 PM

Rick and The Chief

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on Rick and Chief. I've been going around from board to board, and apparently we have one of the most homer duos in the league. And I have to disagree with that.

I think Rick calls a great game, and calls it fair. Chief on the other hand... insightful, yet not :laugh: However, he is definitely not afraid to rip into the team either. It's always funny when you hear him making scoffing noises when the Lightning turn the puck over or whatever. Chief is definitely a homer, but not as bad as the likes of Jack Edwards of NESN for the Bruins or the fools at ROOT Sports for the Pens.

I would even go far as to say Rick is one of the best in the league. And perhaps that is why he gets the job doing a few playoff games.

Benders Lindyhop 04-19-2012 01:27 PM

I anxiously await the day when Chief sees something so stupid he forgets he's on tv and actually starts cursing. It's gonna happen.

As far as homers go. Rick not so much, although he has his moments.

Chief can be quite homerish. Yeah, he rips on the Bolts, but he's definitely a homer. The constant goalie never being at fault riff is getting old as well. Sorry Chief, but sometimes a goal is caused by a goalie being bad, not the D, forwards not backchecking, bad ice, missed call, or whatever else.

Still take our crew over anybody on NBCSN though. Even with PK thrown in.

Bolts265 04-19-2012 01:31 PM

I love our guys and like them even more when I hear some of the others out there.
Every teams announcers are homers to some level. Look whose logo is on their paychecks.

I Am Beat You 04-19-2012 01:41 PM

Rick is good and rarely comes off as a homer by himself. Chief is Chief. I'd rather see Dingman in his spot, but overall they do a decent job as a duo.

Xenophobia Catalyst 04-19-2012 01:49 PM

I wonder if it is possible that these other teams fans you talk with are getting Chief mixed up with Mishkin. Rick is really good compared to some other teams. Chief just makes me laugh a lot of the time. I remember near the end of the season listening to a game and Chief kept messing up an opposing players name.

The YzerJesus 04-19-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst (Post 48406473)
I wonder if it is possible that these other teams fans you talk with are getting Chief mixed up with Mishkin. Rick is really good compared to some other teams. Chief just makes me laugh a lot of the time. I remember near the end of the season listening to a game and Chief kept messing up an opposing players name.

Perhaps ha. There is no question where Mishkin's loyalties lie :laugh: But why would they be listening to Lightning Radio over watching the game on TV? I did that before I got GameCenter, so I guess I kind of answered my own question if the other team doesn't have a radio feed.

Vasilevskiy 04-19-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin (Post 48406153)
Rick is good and rarely comes off as homer by himself. Chief is Chief. I'd rather see Dingman in his spot, but overall they do a decent job as duo.

This

chasespace 04-19-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin (Post 48406153)
Rick is good and rarely comes off as homer by himself. Chief is Chief. I'd rather see Dingman in his spot, but overall they do a decent job as duo.

I'd rather see Dingman take over PK's spot. Let the Rays and Magic have him to themselves.

LightningStrikes 04-19-2012 02:51 PM

Rick does a great job, IMO. He's also doing national broadcasts so he can't be that bad. I think it was in the Blues-Sharks series just a couple days ago when several fans asked in the GDT who the PBP guy (Rick) was and said how good he was. He knows his stuff, rarely makes mistakes with player's names and he's got a good voice.

With the Chief I sometimes ask myself how he still has a job. :laugh: Some nights he's just awful. I'm not even talking about his blind homerism at times - which sometimes really is an issue, I mean, come on, just call it how it is! - I'm talking about his miscalls, messing up names and whole plays, being too late drawing circles on the telecast or that awkward silence when he's supposed to say something but instead he just watches the game or replay and goes "...", "tsssk", "ssshh", "mmmh" or "wow". Most of the time though, he's pretty entertaining (intentionally and unintentionally) and seemingly a good guy so I have nothing against him. But we all know there are better color commentators out there.

BoltSTH 04-19-2012 03:10 PM

I'll tell you what - insert random factoid, often wrong here
These refs are bad
What game are the looking at?
Can't blame this all on the goalie
My tan is not orange enough, another 15 minutes in the sub bed please

snowden 04-19-2012 03:51 PM

Rick is one of the best in hockey. So smart and knowledgeable when it comes to other teams as evidenced by his playoffs broadcasting.

Chief can at times be really surprising in how great he can be as a color guy, but more often than not he's kinda terrible. Which makes for a fun watch/listen most nights. I wouldn't want to trade Dinger for him because Dinger is just as bad if not worse. He needs a little broadcast schooling.

Felonious Python 04-19-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albatross (Post 48405549)
I anxiously await the day when Chief sees something so stupid he forgets he's on tv and actually starts cursing. It's gonna happen.

As far as homers go. Rick not so much, although he has his moments.

Chief can be quite homerish. Yeah, he rips on the Bolts, but he's definitely a homer. The constant goalie never being at fault riff is getting old as well. Sorry Chief, but sometimes a goal is caused by a goalie being bad, not the D, forwards not backchecking, bad ice, missed call, or whatever else.

As for Chief never criticizing goaltending, that's what goalies-turned-broadcasters do.

Still take our crew over anybody on NBCSN though. Even with PK thrown in.

Both are Lightning homers. Chief, is the more obvious one, but if you listen carefully, Peckham shows his homerism as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasespace (Post 48409305)
I'd rather see Dingman take over PK's spot. Let the Rays and Magic have him to themselves.

I think that PK and Dingman need to coexist, at opposite ends of the spectrum, for either to be tolerable.

I Am Beat You 04-19-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowden (Post 48412185)
Rick is one of the best in hockey. So smart and knowledgeable when it comes to other teams as evidenced by his playoffs broadcasting.

Chief can at times be really surprising in how great he can be as a color guy, but more often than not he's kinda terrible. Which makes for a fun watch/listen most nights. I wouldn't want to trade Dinger for him because Dinger is just as bad if not worse. He needs a little broadcast schooling.

Dingman knows the game and would at least be able to provide some insight/analysis. Of course he needs some seasoning, but he has to start somewhere. He too is a homer but it rarely bothers me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Felonious Python (Post 48414667)
Both are Lightning homers. Chief, is the more obvious one, but if you listen carefully, Peckham shows his homerism as well.

I think that PK and Dingman need to coexist, at opposite ends of the spectrum, for either to be tolerable.

Peckham is biased at times but rarely does he strike me as being a blind homer. Chief usually incites it with some sort of complaint and to me it seems like Rick just goes along with it most of the time. The only time he has acted like a blatant homer in recent memory was during the Ladd/Hedman incident, but even that wasn't too bad.

Edit- This is coming from someone who is a big fan of the NESN crew, so take everything with a grain of salt ;)

Felonious Python 04-19-2012 06:02 PM

What I like about the contrast between PK and Dingman is that Dinger is this kind of sullen, realistic sort. Knowledgeable and dedicated to his game, and who doesn't have a permanent ****-eating grin like PK, who tarts it up for any team, or sport, that comes along.

LoSTRaMaiR 04-19-2012 08:45 PM

I don't like PK that much, he's ok.. I think I read(could be completely off on this) that sun is his network. If that is the case, doubt he's going anywhere unless he wants to. I like Rick. Chief was kind of bad this season, many people said he sounds trashed during broadcasts. I like him alright, he has been better in past seasons I think. Like someone else said, every teams announcers will probably have some homer in them. I hate listening to any broadcast other than ours. Homer in me says our guys aren't as bad as others around the league. I like hearing Rick during the playoffs, but worries me that he may be getting a promotion like Jay Crawford several years back. I like Dinger but he can be kind of dull/dry. Anyway, I like things the way they are

Felonious Python 04-20-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR (Post 48428349)
I don't like PK that much, he's ok.. I think I read(could be completely off on this) that sun is his network. If that is the case, doubt he's going anywhere unless he wants to. I like Rick. Chief was kind of bad this season, many people said he sounds trashed during broadcasts. I like him alright, he has been better in past seasons I think. Like someone else said, every teams announcers will probably have some homer in them. I hate listening to any broadcast other than ours. Homer in me says our guys aren't as bad as others around the league. I like hearing Rick during the playoffs, but worries me that he may be getting a promotion like Jay Crawford several years back. I like Dinger but he can be kind of dull/dry. Anyway, I like things the way they are

Did you watch the games?

LoSTRaMaiR 04-21-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felonious Python (Post 48447761)
Did you watch the games?

Yes I did. Are you asking because I said "many people said he sounds trashed"? He may have been drunk, I don't know.

Follower of Yzlam 04-21-2012 02:42 AM

I for one love the fact that I'm not the only one getting hammered during the games. Keep Chief!

Felonious Python 04-21-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR (Post 48494669)
Yes I did. Are you asking because I said "many people said he sounds trashed"? He may have been drunk, I don't know.

I'm asking because he had a damn good reason to be ****faced/hungover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAB4Norris (Post 48495485)
I for one love the fact that I'm not the only one getting hammered during the games. Keep Chief!

He's like our TV drinking buddy.

JohnnyGong 04-21-2012 09:40 AM

Rick Peckham is one of the best and I always find the chief entertaining and I do like Dingmans "not very schooled style" on air. Overall I think the broadcasts are good, well above average compairing them to the rest of the league.

LoSTRaMaiR 04-21-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felonious Python (Post 48497427)
I'm asking because he had a damn good reason to be ****faced/hungover.

He's like our TV drinking buddy.

Just so I am clear, you are saying his reason was because we played really bad, or was there some other personal reason that I am unaware of. If it is the former, I could understand that I suppose. I just don't drink anymore, or maybe I would have been trashed as well.

Felonious Python 04-21-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR (Post 48532349)
Just so I am clear, you are saying his reason was because we played really bad, or was there some other personal reason that I am unaware of. If it is the former, I could understand that I suppose. I just don't drink anymore, or maybe I would have been trashed as well.

I don't know of any personal problems.

All I know is that he sometimes sounded like he had a few that day, or the day before.

TBLbrian 04-21-2012 07:57 PM

Rick is great. Him and John Forslund are my two favorites in the league

but Chief, like everyone else has said, is cheif.