HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Would you trade Dan Boyle to shake up the team in the offseason? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1172395)

Lazyking 04-20-2012 09:15 AM

Would you trade Dan Boyle to shake up the team in the offseason?

I know DW likes to make moves in the offseason and if we do go out early, I don't think the same team will be coming back... BUT do you make a drastic or say an impactful move and trade Boyle? After June 30, he only has a limited NTC so it is doable.

I like Boyle and don't think he needs to be moved but I really don't believe that this team even with a coaching change is cup contender anymore. You can't move Thornton or Marleau and I don't think its a good idea to trade Pavs or Couture. Trading Boyle would shake up the team for sure.

DoubleMinor 04-20-2012 09:16 AM

yes!

one2gamble 04-20-2012 09:19 AM

I would move a couple people to be honest, I would start with the coaching staff

Sharks7 04-20-2012 09:24 AM

no, new coaches ftw. I really dislike the system they play and feel our players can excel in a different one.

Gilligans Island 04-20-2012 09:26 AM

I would strongly consider trading Boyle for a young, speedy top 6 winger + a 2nd (1st if the fwd isn't that highly touted).

Even with a potential new coach, this team (with Boyle, THornton, Marleau, etc.) as the core is aging. I'd rather accelerate a rebuild by dealing more now than later.

KzooShark 04-20-2012 09:30 AM

Most of all, they need a plan. With 20/20 hindsight, last summer now looks like making moves for the sake of making moves. If they're replacing the coaches, do that right away so the new guy can explain his systems and we can look at who we have that fits that system and who doesn't.

Another "shakeup" is not an answer in itself. We just did one last summer after consecutive trips to the WCF.

SonomaShark 04-20-2012 09:35 AM

No way. Trade the heartless players.

Arkansas Shark 04-20-2012 09:53 AM

Yes do it please!

USF Shark 04-20-2012 10:01 AM

No, Boyle has tons of game left.

Chairman Mallard 04-20-2012 10:05 AM

I'd be OK with trading anyone other than vlasic burns Thornton and couture.

McLovin25 04-20-2012 10:15 AM

Id move Pavelski before Boyle. He has been downright bad this series. If he played better, wed be up 3-1 not down. Boyle has also been very ineffective.

A list of players we should target (not taking teams willingness to trade into account)
J.Staal
D.Bolland
JVR
B.Schenn
Brouwer
Chris Stewart
Bobby Ryan (VERY UNLIKELY)
Shane Doan (UFA, if PHX moves)
Colin Wilson

Trade:
Murray
Boyle
Pavelski

hockeyball 04-20-2012 10:16 AM

I would only trade Boyle under two conditions:

1) Suter agrees to sign here and we can no longer afford Boyle's contract.

2) He asks to be moved because he's done with this team. I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did.

Tkachuk4MVP 04-20-2012 10:23 AM

Hell no. Find a solid #4 to play with Boyle on the 2nd pairing next year and curtail his minutes and he'll be fine. He's still got plenty left in the tank and he's one of the few players who actually plays like he gives a crap on a nightly basis. No reason to get rid of him after one bad series.

Nighthock 04-20-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonomaShark (Post 48452265)
No way. Trade the heartless players.

:nod:

Lazyking 04-20-2012 10:32 AM

I'm not even saying he's playing bad, I think his effort is there... it's just he has a huge contract and the window for this core is closing.... I know it sounds like rebuild but maybe trading boyle can change the makeup for this team or be a wakeup call for guys...

Tkachuk4MVP 04-20-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazyking (Post 48454683)
I'm not even saying he's playing bad, I think his effort is there... it's just he has a huge contract and the window for this core is closing.... I know it sounds like rebuild but maybe trading boyle can change the makeup for this team or be a wakeup call for guys...

Boyle is a part of that core who's window is closing, so unless DW can pull another miracle trade out of ***, getting rid of him would fit more into the rebuild category than the win now category.

hawkytalk 04-20-2012 10:44 AM

yes, trade him. yes, he is still productive, but going downhill quickly. he tries to do too much and in the process puts the team in bad positions. I think he still has value now, so maybe is moveable. Wait much longer and that wont be the case. I would move him and a few others to get younger and faster, both offensively and defensively.

Gilligans Island 04-20-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 48453977)
I would only trade Boyle under two conditions:

1) Suter agrees to sign here and we can no longer afford Boyle's contract.

2) He asks to be moved because he's done with this team. I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazyking (Post 48454683)

To me, if we deal Boyle, it has nothing to do with blame.

(As an aside, it's clear to me he's not as effective and is overplaying. Defensively, I've noticed he's almost as slow as Murray when turning after an opposing player dumps the puck past him. He has a tendency to stay fronted to the player and that player has a split second more to accelerate past him. It's odd. Hip injury?)

In any case, I'm not convinced changing the coach and some minor tweaks will matter at all. I'm getting more convinced that this team as it currently stands won't ever do it. So, I'm fine with a complete rebuild.

Keep the youth that has value - Burns, Vlasic, Couture, Wingels, Winnik (solid 3rd line winger), Demers, Braun, Desi - and start dealing our aging players now while they still have value to accelerate a rebuild.

Of course, the bigger issues are DW and organizational philosophy. Rectifying that will take a deeper commitment by ownership.

Kitten Mittons 04-20-2012 10:50 AM

With new management, I wouldn't mind both Boyle and Pavelski gone. They can bring some good pieces back (of course, assuming we sign Suter).

Winky 04-20-2012 10:58 AM

As others have said, if we can put his money towards locking up Suter, hell yes without even thinking about it.

bullslugg 04-20-2012 11:12 AM

DW may not be around

kwhyte 04-20-2012 11:22 AM

I think the timing is perfect - I get the sense from watching him that he's started the fall off from age, and I think it might be pretty steep. So I think he may well be only ok next year and maybe outright bad within 2-3. If we can get a good young player I think it'd be a big win. We'd save enough in cap space to bring in a solid UFA as well, so I think the team would be better next year already and certainly better off long term.

I suspect teams know what shape he's in, so I doubt they can get a star - Boyle for Suter, for example, is probably hopeless. I don't see anyone giving a young D ready to play in the top 4 for him, why do it? I think it'd need to be a forward from a young team looking to win now, and in need of veteran D. Maybe EDM? I doubt the #1 pick is an option, and certainly not their recent #1 picks either. Maybe Paajarvi-Svennson? Or Hemsky + ?

However it happened, I think it would also require getting a top D-man in another trade or UFA. Trading our best young forwards would make the whole thing pointless, and Thornton has been the best player most nights. That means Clowe, Marleau, or Havlat. I think both Patty and the Sharks want him to retire a Shark, and he has a NMC, so he's out. Either Havlat or Clowe can go, but is any team going to do Clowe + Murray for stud young D?

sjshark91 04-20-2012 11:35 AM

No.

I would keep the defense intact. That is Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Murray, Demers, Braun.

Try to sign Carle or Stuart for either a top 4 spot or depth. Get a better top 9 forward group and get new assistant coaches.

magic school bus 04-20-2012 11:39 AM

Yes, please trade him while his value's still high. We're running this guy into the ground with how much ice time he gets. Won't be the same player in a year or two.

Sharksfan83 04-20-2012 11:42 AM

We need to use Burns and Vlasic more, and use Boyle on the 1st PP unit, and 4th ES minutes.