HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Draft Picks this Summer/Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1172995)

VP and GM 04-21-2012 12:33 AM

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft
 
What do we have for picks this summer? Whom do you think we'll take?

Iron Chef 04-21-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VP and GM (Post 48493535)
What do we have for picks this summer? Whom do you think we'll take?

We wont know the actual slots until we're eliminated. But if you're asking which rounds we didn't trade away, we still have a 1st, 2nd [55th overall] (compensatory pick for not signing Patrick White), 5th, 6th, Tampa Bay's 7th (155th overall), 7th

2nd was traded to Carolina for Ian White
other 2nd acquired from Minnesota traded to Tampa Bay for Dominic Moore
3rd was traded to Florida
4th was traded to Anaheim in Huskins/Moen deal

TheJuxtaposer 04-21-2012 01:07 AM

We have the 15th-18th overall, I think, and I imagine DW will try to trade up into the top 10 or 12 and draft a high-skill forward.

Broomout 04-21-2012 01:08 AM

I hope we trade into the 10..we need a good prospect

KpopandHockey 04-21-2012 01:46 AM

We need something to look forward to. :cry:

sharkfan95 04-21-2012 02:14 AM

Hmm if we trade up I think we need a forward. Collberg seems like a safe pick or even Radek Faksa. the draft doesn't offer many forwards of N American decent. If we trade up for a dman i guess we could go with Ceci:handclap::handclap::handclap:

TheJuxtaposer 04-21-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkfan95 (Post 48495169)
Hmm if we trade up I think we need a forward. Collberg seems like a safe pick or even Radek Faksa. the draft doesn't offer many forwards of N American decent. If we trade up for a dman i guess we could go with Ceci:handclap::handclap::handclap:

I love everything I hear about Collberg, and he's exactly the type of player we should be drafting. If we end up picking 15th or 16th, I bet we'd only have to move up a spot or two.

magic school bus 04-21-2012 11:24 AM

I'm saying draft Girgensons. The Latvian Toews/Kesler. He got hurt at the end of the season, so maybe he slips to us.

210 04-21-2012 12:40 PM

They should draft a goaltender. :sarcasm:

SoupyFIN 04-21-2012 01:45 PM

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...ure/Sharks.htm

So we have:

1st
2nd (compensation, 25th pick in the 2nd round)
4th
5th
6th
7th (Bolts)
7th

HBSauce 04-21-2012 01:57 PM

I don't know if this is the place to talk about it but if the Sharks could draft Henrik Samuelsson that wouldn't be a bad choice. I've seen him play with the Oil Kings a couple of times and he is always physical, gritty, and usually makes something happen offensively. Picked up 3 assists last night in the Oil Kings 6-1 win over Moose Jaw.

Pipe dream maybe, but I like him.

TheJuxtaposer 04-21-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic school bus (Post 48503159)
I'm saying draft Girgensons. The Latvian Toews/Kesler. He got hurt at the end of the season, so maybe he slips to us.

We need a guy who is dynamic and quick and smart and has killer hands. We need to draft this year's Eberle or Ennis or Giroux. Drafting two-way players in the first round is the opposite of what we need. We have Couture and Pavelski. We need someone with creativity an speed and flash.

210 04-21-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 48513011)
We need a guy who is dynamic and quick and smart and has killer hands. We need to draft this year's Eberle or Ennis or Giroux. Drafting two-way players in the first round is the opposite of what we need. We have Couture and Pavelski. We need someone with creativity an speed and flash.

Yeah, San Jose needs a guys like Charlie Coyle or Michael Sgarbossa.

Oh, wait...

murdock1116 04-21-2012 03:11 PM

It is supposed to be a weak draft this year, so I don't think trading up is a smart thing.

TheJuxtaposer 04-21-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 48514773)
Yeah, San Jose needs a guys like Charlie Coyle or Michael Sgarbossa.

Oh, wait...

I'll give you Sgarbossa, but Coyle is not that type of player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murdock1116 (Post 48515355)
It is supposed to be a weak draft this year, so I don't think trading up is a smart thing.

Every year, the draft next season is supposed to be great while the one just completed is terrible. Then, you get to January and February and people start talking about how the next draft is horrible, and it build until draft day, when everyone wishes that draft was as good as the one before it.

Rumor is that it's a good draft in the top-10, and then a big drop-off after. If we're at 15, then I think we could move up 5 spots.

stalockrox 04-21-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 48515851)
I'll give you Sgarbossa, but Coyle is not that type of player.



Every year, the draft next season is supposed to be great while the one just completed is terrible. Then, you get to January and February and people start talking about how the next draft is horrible, and it build until draft day, when everyone wishes that draft was as good as the one before it.

Rumor is that it's a good draft in the top-10, and then a big drop-off after. If we're at 15, then I think we could move up 5 spots.

The chances of Sgarbossa being the next Eberle, Giroux or Ennis are not very good...he had a phenomenal final year in Junior but I still think his NHL upside is a great 3rd liner, average 2nd liner. Yes, he can always surprise and be a 1st line talent but I wouldn't cound on it.

This draft is very deep on D, not so on forwards. The high end forward prospects will very likely be gone in the first 5-7 picks - so unless the Sharks have someone very specific they want I don't know that they'll have to move up.

magic school bus 04-21-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 48513011)
We need a guy who is dynamic and quick and smart and has killer hands. We need to draft this year's Eberle or Ennis or Giroux. Drafting two-way players in the first round is the opposite of what we need. We have Couture and Pavelski. We need someone with creativity an speed and flash.

We need to draft more good players. period.

St. Louis is killing us with their two-way players and I wouldn't call them dynamic. Giroux is both two-way and dynamic.

We'll get more dynamic/speed and two-way if we keep more of our 1st/2nd round picks. Hopefully this is the start of that. It's hard to get a Giroux when you have 1 pick in the top 60 like we've had.

TheJuxtaposer 04-21-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalockrox (Post 48517961)
The chances of Sgarbossa being the next Eberle, Giroux or Ennis are not very good...he had a phenomenal final year in Junior but I still think his NHL upside is a great 3rd liner, average 2nd liner. Yes, he can always surprise and be a 1st line talent but I wouldn't cound on it.

This draft is very deep on D, not so on forwards. The high end forward prospects will very likely be gone in the first 5-7 picks - so unless the Sharks have someone very specific they want I don't know that they'll have to move up.

I mean that type of player. Sgarbossa was never going to be a star.

And for god's sake, we cannot draft another defenseman in the first round, or the second round for that matter. Unless ****ing Ryan Murray falls to us, we have to take a forward, no ifs ands or buts.

And as for Collberg, he's out-performed Forsberg at pretty much all international competitions. His SEL stats are rubbish because he plays 5 minutes a night on the fourth line with two career grinders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic school bus (Post 48519597)
We need to draft more good players. period.

St. Louis is killing us with their two-way players and I wouldn't call them dynamic. Giroux is both two-way and dynamic.

We'll get more dynamic/speed and two-way if we keep more of our 1st/2nd round picks. Hopefully this is the start of that. It's hard to get a Giroux when you have 1 pick in the top 60 like we've had.

McDonald is the one killing us. And he's hardly a two-way player. He's quick and flashy and dynamic. Notice how their two-way studs like Steen, Oshie, and Backes have been more or less ineffective?

And we could have had Giroux in 2006, but instead we took a defenseman, Ty Wishart, who never panned out. ;)

Korolyuk15 04-21-2012 05:04 PM

maybe Grigorenko will plummet like cherepanov did and they can trade up to get him at 10th...unlikely to happen and obviously impossible that DW would draft a russian...

VP and GM 04-21-2012 06:24 PM

Thanks for the update on round/picks we have.

I'd really like to see us start stock piling decent high end prospects - glad we have a 1st and 2nd. I'd like to see DW move a mid level NHL level player for another high end pick/prospect. Arn't we like 30th in prospect rankings...

210 04-21-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VP and GM (Post 48529439)
Thanks for the update on round/picks we have.

I'd really like to see us start stock piling decent high end prospects - glad we have a 1st and 2nd. I'd like to see DW move a mid level NHL level player for another high end pick/prospect. Arn't we like 30th in prospect rankings...

Just about every legitimate list I've seen has SJ in the bottom three...

VP and GM 04-21-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 48529655)
Just about every legitimate list I've seen has SJ in the bottom three...

Just awful being a decent team and turning picks into players to push us over the top to win a cup.... Not winning the cup and having a crap prospect pool... We really need to start adding and keeping prospects around for the Sharks retooling that is very close. I think this means better players for the W Sharks which is a good thing.

magic school bus 04-21-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 48521493)
McDonald is the one killing us. And he's hardly a two-way player. He's quick and flashy and dynamic. Notice how their two-way studs like Steen, Oshie, and Backes have been more or less ineffective?

And we could have had Giroux in 2006, but instead we took a defenseman, Ty Wishart, who never panned out. ;)

Berglund, Steen, Backes all have goal(s) while not really giving up any goals to our "star" players. Havlat's flash only showed up in 1 game. Oshie had the set up for the Backes goal.

We did get Boyle out of the Wishart pick so I won't complain too much about it.

sharkfan95 04-21-2012 07:22 PM

anyone seen Radek Faksa play? I think he may be the boom bust type=S

sjshark91 04-21-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkfan95 (Post 48534845)
anyone seen Radek Faksa play? I think he may be the boom bust type=S

Na, we need a safe pick.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.