HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Vladimir Tarasenko Discussion Thread (III) -- NHL bound (Filed with NHL) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1173455)

EastonBlues22 04-21-2012 03:58 PM

Vladimir Tarasenko Discussion Thread (III) -- NHL bound (Filed with NHL)

We've come a long way. Hopefully this becomes a "Confirmed with Link" thread celebrating his signing well before it hits 1000 posts.

Part II

Part I

bluemandan 04-21-2012 04:27 PM

Part 3??? Really?? WOW!! What can we talk about that hasn't already been discussed? I know! What is Vlad's favorite color? Does he spell it "color" or "colour"? :D

CarvinSigX 04-21-2012 04:32 PM

He'll wear #91 I imagine. His favorite color is blue...Why wouldn't it be?

PocketNines 04-21-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

You missed the whole point of the post.

Point 1 - Tarasenko has stated that Olympics > NHL. Therefore, he'd be very smart to hold off on signing an NHL contract until the olympic participation is verified in the new CBA.

Point 2 - A player CANNOT unilaterally walk-away from an NHL contract and play in the KHL. This violates the "NHL/KHL respect for contract agreement" brokered by the IIHF.
A player CAN unilaterally terminate his KHL contract (by paying 3/4 remaining salary) thereby becoming a RFA.....hence making it legal to sign with an NHL team. This is what Radulov did.
LOLZ. Yeah, all a player has to do to just walk away from a Russian contract is basically pay the team the same salary they'd have paid him out of his pocket. Are the eleventy billion eyerolls implied? Hopefully.

As for the Olympics, I suppose I can't simply say the NHL will be at Sochi for multiple reasons and convince you. Obviously it's an very meaningful issue for the players and it's far less critical for the league/owners. Therefore in the next round of negotiations it will be one of the things ultimately conceded by the owners well before other issues. That's how these things work. There wasn't a lockout in 2004 because of the Olympics.

So I stand by all of what I said.

Zine 04-21-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketNines (Post 48523977)
LOLZ. Yeah, all a player has to do to just walk away from a Russian contract is basically pay the team the same salary they'd have paid him out of his pocket. Are the eleventy billion eyerolls implied? Hopefully.

Hmmm....
I hope you didn't imply eleventy billion eyerolls when Radulov DID buy out his KHL contract?:laugh::laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketNines (Post 48523977)
As for the Olympics, I suppose I can't simply say the NHL will be at Sochi for multiple reasons and convince you. Obviously it's an very meaningful issue for the players and it's far less critical for the league/owners. Therefore in the next round of negotiations it will be one of the things ultimately conceded by the owners well before other issues. That's how these things work. There wasn't a lockout in 2004 because of the Olympics.

So I stand by all of what I said.

Everything I've stated is 100% accurate.....particularly regading the limitations imposed by NHL contracts (re: international tournaments, signing elsewhere, etc.). However, that's the sacrifice one makes to play in the NHL.

I do think Tarasenko will sign with the Blues, but I also think its not an outright slam dunk.....particularly with the CBA hanging overhead. Although they are unlikely to hinder Tarasenko signing, I'm just bringing up some realistic potential obstacles into the discussion.

I really don't understand all the vitriol on your part.

PocketNines 04-21-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zine (Post 48535885)
Hmmm....
I hope you didn't imply eleventy billion eyerolls when Radulov DID buy out his KHL contract?:laugh::laugh:

Everything I've stated is 100% accurate.....particularly regading the limitations imposed by NHL contracts (re: international tournaments, signing elsewhere, etc.). However, that's the sacrifice one makes to play in the NHL.

I do think Tarasenko will sign with the Blues, but I also think its not an outright slam dunk.....particularly with the CBA hanging overhead. Although they are unlikely to hinder Tarasenko signing, I'm just bringing up some realistic potential obstacles into the discussion.

I really don't understand all the vitriol on your part.

The "vitriol?????" Saying you're saying false things and taking the time to break down why is "vitriol." Ok. Whatever.

Celtic Note 04-21-2012 08:22 PM

Lets keep it focused on Tarasenko.

bluemandan 04-21-2012 10:45 PM

So his favorite color is blue, but does he spell it "color" or "colour"?

Robb_K 04-21-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemandan (Post 48555421)
So his favorite color is blue, but does he spell it "color" or "colour"?

The latter. In Europe we learn "The King's English". But, I'm hoping that Tarasenko will be learning a LOT of American English (Midwestern variety) real soon (and for 20 years or so)!

bleedblue1223 04-21-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 48556323)
The latter. In Europe we learn "The King's English". But, I'm hoping that Tarasenko will be learning a LOT of American English (Midwestern variety) real soon (and for 20 years or so)!

I want him to learn American slang, that would make for the funniest interview ever.

PocketNines 04-21-2012 11:09 PM

I want Ya Ma Goo to play on the home jumbotron when Tarasenko scores.

bleedblue1223 04-21-2012 11:11 PM

I want Vlad to take some of the Russian cheerleaders over.

steap 04-22-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumrokh
Based on what? Hitch has clearly done well with the sophomores and other young players on the Blues. His mythic problems with Russians is completely false. We have two examples in all of his history, both with the absolute wreck that is Columbus: Zherdev and Filatov. Zherdev improved his overall game considerably under Hitch and Filatov just isn't very good at hockey.
Coincidence and a convenient scapegoat in an organization that we now see has tremendous scouting and development issues. Many other Russians have excelled on Hitch's teams.

Both were considered more talented than Tarasenko as I remember. BTW I hope everything will be ok with Vlad's future in NHL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZomboIsGod
Hitch is easily one of the top 5 coaches in the NHL

Riha is one of the best KHL coaches (may be top 3). And he can coach Russian players.

bleedblue1223 04-22-2012 12:44 AM

steap, you guys need to learn how to share and send at least 3 over with Vlad, so he can transition easier lol

bleedblue1223 04-22-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steap (Post 48562063)
Both were considered more talented than Tarasenko as I remember. BTW I hope everything will be ok with Vlad's future in NHL.

Riha is one of the best KHL coaches (may be top 3). And he can coach Russian players.

The difference is Tarasenko's willingness to go into the corners and battle. Tarasenko's style seems perfect for Hitchcock, exact opposite of Filatov. Talent was never the question for any of these players and Hitchcock. Zherdev played well with Hitch, and Filatov was just an NHL bust.

rumrokh 04-22-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

It's a good thing that doesn't mean anything now. It takes a whole lot more than talent to play hockey.

PocketNines 04-22-2012 03:58 AM

Tarasenko was considered the next best talent after Hall and Seguin in his draft class. He dropped purely due to the Russian factor (the heritage of guys like Filatov and Zherdev and Radulov) because teams started to get wary. You can't miss with a top-ten pick or it hurts. Talent-wise he's right there with the top picks of his class, and that's why we were all so excited when the Blues drafted him.

Like rumrokh said, though, it takes much more than talent to succeed in the top professional league.

MU_Beerman 04-22-2012 12:23 PM

I don't buy into the "russian thing" with Hitchcock either. Sergei Zubov played a ton on those Dallas teams, and Hitch often speaks glowingly of him.

Use the Schwartz* 04-22-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

One would hope.

PocketNines 04-22-2012 01:06 PM

Riha certainly failed this year. He failed to organize his lines properly. Whatever "chemistry" he believed he was protecting, his judgment was obviously deeply flawed. When all that chemistry nets you zero goals in four games and you get swept in a series where you're favored, your judgment is in serious question.

Zine 04-22-2012 06:36 PM

Its not that Hitchcock can't coach Russians; he just can't coach certain types of players (a type Russia produces more of coming from a big ice background).
Hitchcock is very much a "my way or the highway" coach. He's had past success with that philosophy, but it can also be problematic depending on the circumstance.

Tarasenko can definitely thrive under Hitchcock...but I just hope he allows Tarasenko the leeway to make mistakes (something he didn't do with a lot of young guys in Columbus).

Robb_K 04-22-2012 07:09 PM

I think that The Blues winning their first playoff series will help in Tarasenko's decision. And winning the 2nd series will help, immensely. If Tarasenko knows that The Blues are a legitimate contender for The Stanley Cup, and that window of opportunity doesn't stay open long or even come open for many teams, he may well want to avoid missing even one year of having that possibility. He may forego better money for a couple years (earlier than he might have in other circumstances) to play with a team that has a reasonable shot at winning it all. If The Blues win The Western Conference Finals, that may well seal the deal.

Let's hope all this comes to pass, and Tarasenko signs right after The Blues win The Stanley Cup THIS June!

PocketNines 04-22-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zine (Post 48615277)
Its not that Hitchcock can't coach Russians; he just can't coach certain types of players (a type Russia produces more of coming from a big ice background).
Hitchcock is very much a "my way or the highway" coach. He's had past success with that philosophy, but it can also be problematic depending on the circumstance.

Tarasenko can definitely thrive under Hitchcock...but I just hope he allows Tarasenko the leeway to make mistakes (something he didn't do with a lot of young guys in Columbus).

What coach in the NHL implements a system and then says, "ok, fine, do whatever you want" with a player who doesn't play within that system? "My way or the highway" is pretty meaningless.

Take a look at Chris Stewart. Stewart makes mistakes, but has only been healthy scratched for one game. He still gets the kind of minutes Riha gave Tarasenko.

It's interesting how one guy is a great coach (Riha) and the other guy (Hitchcock) is some uncompromising dictator who ruins young players, especially Russians.

MattyMo35 04-22-2012 09:40 PM

There is probably no substance to these "Hitch can't coach Russian" rumors, but it still worries me. The only real evidence to this rumor seems to be Filatov, who wouldn't have succeeded in the NHL with any coach in my opinion. The only other situation that seems relevant is the trading of Nikitin almost immediately following his hiring. Nikitin had a fantastic season for the Jackets, and while he struggled for the Blues in the beginning, I think he would've been just as good given the chance. I love Hitch, and I'm sure these rumors are nonsense, but I'm still worried because Tarasenko is probably the most promising Blues forward prospect in the last 30 years. I don't think that's a stretch.

PocketNines 04-22-2012 10:13 PM

Is it possible Hitchcock saw a different skillset in Russell than the one Nikitin has? And that those skills would give a specific look to the Blues defensive unit that would allow the team to play the same system no matter who was out there? This is within the realm of possibility, right?