HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Sweden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Andreas Holmqvist, Andreas Falk and Daniel Tjärnqvist - Swedish Trio in Cologne [DEL] (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1174609)

Vipers31 04-22-2012 04:56 PM

Holmqvist, Falk and Tjärnqvist - Swedish Trio in Cologne; Update: now quintuplet!

Hi Swedes! :) My DEL hometown team Cologne has signed these two players in the last couple days, and I'd love to hear your thoughts and really any type of information or even just some off the rink stories on these two guys. Anything is appreaciated. :)

Holmqvist is supposed to be replacing mid-season re-acquisition Johan Akerman after his second stint with the Haie. Falk will likely be getting a spot as centerman in one of our top two lines. Looking forward to how these two will look, as generally our experience with Swedes in Cologne have been few, but good, also including Daniel Rudslätt.

1912 04-22-2012 05:43 PM

Homlqvist is a decent offensive defenceman with good size, would'nt call him soft but he's not really tough either. He's not very good defensively but is still able to hold attackers of with his size. Good break out pass. If he plays on a decent PP he's good for ten goals and 25 points.

Falk is a really good signing. He's very good defensively and works his ass of every shift while not being inept offensively. He's the kind of guy you want out defending a one goal lead late in the game.

KRM 04-22-2012 05:54 PM

Falk? Congratulations! :) Holmqvist? I'm so sorry for you guys... :(

No but seriously, Falk is a very good two-way centre, just a couple of seasons ago he would've received the SEL Selke award if it existed. He was a great defensively and contributed well offensively for HV71, and come playoff time he becomes a beast. Also as an opponent fan you just can't dislike him, he plays hard but fair and seems like a great guy off the ice. A real heart and soul players.

Holmqvist on the other hand can be disliked by opponents as well as his own teams fans. At times he's one of the best offensive defencemen in the SEL, but is usually a master of turning the puck over. He can do some really dumb things on the ice too, once after his team allowed a goal against into an empty net he smashed his stick at the plexiglass, shattering it, which not only delayed the game for several minutes with seconds left to play, but also sent several off-ice officials to the hospital with plexiglass fragments in their eyes. :help: Often it looks like he just don't care out on the ice, playing without heart.

Vipers31 04-23-2012 06:22 AM

Thanks for that, pretty good to hear. Even with Holmqvist's weaknesses, we really need a guy (or two) with a good first pass and that can bring something on the powerplay. Given that Akerman wasn't quite impressive defensively, either, I am optimistic that Holmqvist will be a good addition for us. If he's having a decent number of games where he looks like "one of the best offensive defenseman in SEL", that's one hell of an addition for the German league.

Falk sounds great from your descriptions. He's replacing a relatively similar type - seemingly - in Jason Jaspers, who was a good two-way player, hard worker, and generally well-liked. Apart from being at a generally lower level, the game is played quite a bit more open in Germany, so I'm optimistic his numbers could adjust positively as well. A guy to send out with a lead is something we really could need. If he can win more faceoffs than he loses, that would be a fantastic fit.

Vipers31 04-23-2012 06:26 AM

... and apparently, there could be a third Swede coming with those two in Mathias Tjarnqvist. Not confirmed yet, but the source seems to be right on track with the former two. So, once more, any thoughts on his game, personality, etc...? Thank you a lot. :)

joe89 04-23-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipers31 (Post 48649323)
... and apparently, there could be a third Swede coming with those two in Mathias Tjarnqvist. Not confirmed yet, but the source seems to be right on track with the former two. So, once more, any thoughts on his game, personality, etc...? Thank you a lot. :)

Two-way guy that can pot some goals, drives hard to the net. Just like Falk plays with a lot of heart.

Glory 04-23-2012 08:20 AM

If Holmqvists back problems will be over you did a good signing imo

Vipers31 04-23-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 48650151)
Two-way guy that can pot some goals, drives hard to the net. Just like Falk plays with a lot of heart.

Thanks! That said, this might actually be about the older Tjärnqvist, Daniel, as another addition on defense, contemplating the move after his team was relegated. A little confusing given the existing rumors about Mathias contemplating a move to DEL, as well.

Glory 04-23-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipers31 (Post 48659045)
Thanks! That said, this might actually be about the older Tjärnqvist, Daniel, as another addition on defense, contemplating the move after his team was relegated. A little confusing given the existing rumors about Mathias contemplating a move to DEL, as well.

BACK OFF!

Nah, if he is gonna leave I'm happy if he choose a team in a different country, but I would ofc prefere to have him on the team. Mathias on the other hand I'd be thrilled if he leaves :laugh:

Daniel is a very good player, but since his concussion he didn't do well at all, that was his third so one more and it might be the end of his career, so maybe he did start to play a bit more carefully

Vipers31 05-02-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glory (Post 48675787)
BACK OFF!

Looks like we didn't. :) He has been spotted at our training arena today. Looks like he's going to be our third Swede.

... and we might be in on Mathias, as well, after all. Very exciting. Really looking forward to seeing these guys next year.

jolii 05-09-2012 09:36 AM

Don't listen to the bad things that's been said about Andreas Holmqvist.
He has a great shot and is useable in PP. His defensive skills are average and he makes mistakes, but wich defenseman doesn't?
Great guy off the ice, nice and humble.

Daniel Tjärnqvist; all you can say about him is class. Always 100% on the ice and a perfect leader. Might be all about the money in him, but there's nothing wrong with his technical skills as a hockeyplayer.

Mathias Tjärnqvist had a tough season, but he's maybe one of the best guys in the world to block the goalie in front of the net. If he gets back to his normal shape as a net-crasher in PP it's a good signing. (If you do sign these 2 brothers)

All of these players come from a HORRIBLE season where their expectations for the season just got shattered and stepped on, so I guess they shoud be pretty motivated to start over.
But on the other hand Andreas Holmqvist wanted to stay in Sweden, so the motivation might not be 100%.

Vipers31 11-06-2012 09:26 AM

As I am bored, I thought I'd let you guys know how these three Swedes have been doing in Cologne over the first quarter of the season over here. The "tl;dr"-version: pretty damn good, helping the team to a surprising 1st place.

Tjärnqvist and Holmqvist make for our top pairing. I can't even say too much about Tjärnqvist's play, because he isn't too noticeable - in a good way. Makes smart plays, shows good vision and has been very solid defensively. In 18 games, he has 2 goals and 8 points, while being -3, which I wouldn't attribute to him too much.

Holmqvist has been rather amazing, I have to say, even though his defensive shortcomings that most of you guys warned me about have been visible. But his offensive skills are outstanding in the league. With 4 goals and 13 assists (almost PPG), he leads the league in scoring for defensemen (+/- 0). His shot is tremendous, and he displays great vision in the offensive zone. His first pass has been pretty good, and turnovers haven't been seen too often. That said, when he's defending, he's obviously not quite as impressive. Interestingly, especially in the first weeks over here, he was going for absolutely huge hits in the neutral zone a lot. He usually missed and never got the other guy completely, leading to a lot of odd man rushes. Still, his offensive abilities alone make him a great addition to the club and the leauge. His slap passes on the PP are something I haven't seen at this level in the DEL, for example.

Falk has been centering what's our top line on paper (our two best lines are relatively interchangable, though, and they are similarly productive). It consists of three new signings with him, AHL-import Chris Minard and DEL-veteran Nathan Robinson. Surprisingly, they had rather impressive instant chemistry right out of training camp. Robinson is speedy, skilled and hard to knock of the puck, thus creates lots of room, while Minard is a less visible sniper that finds room and uses his tremendous shot and quick release when he gets the puck there. Falk is the perfect compliment to them with his two-way game, usually covering for the defensively below-average Robinson, while being able to help out offensively, as well. He's been a bit snake-bitten in terms of goalscoring (just 1 goal in 18 games), but his 11 assists have played a role in linemate Minard leading the league in goals at this point. He also plays with a bit of a badly needed edge, being a bit of a pest for the opposing team, while barely crossing the line (to taking a penalty) himself.

After quite a few years between embarassment and mediocrity, the three have been a big part of taking this traditional club back to the upper echelon of teams in the DEL. As we're headed into a bit of a break for a national team tourney, the Haie (mainly due to a terrific 7-game winning streak to start the year) are sporting a 4-point lead over powerhouse Mannheim, and even 7 points over league champs Berlin (currently in 5th), with both of those clubs getting some big help from their lockout signings, Marcel Goc and Dennis Seidenberg in Mannheim, and Claude Giroux and Danny Briere with Berlin (scoring each around 2.5 points per game).

With the way the season has started for Cologne, the Haie decided to not bring in a lockout-signing unless the NHL season is cancelled and they'd be staying for the year. If the NHL resumed play, those other teams would find themselves having to cope with losing key contributors midway through the year, and in Berlin's case short two licenses for foreign players. However, the break couldn't come at a better time, seemingly, as the Haie for the first time have lost consecutive games and added a third.

I hope I'll find the occasion and be able to tell you guys about remotely similar positive results from your countrymen as the season progresses. Cheers!

Systemfel 11-06-2012 10:38 AM

Nice read. Holmqvist is very well known for his slap passes, they stopped working in the SEL after a while.

Scimitars of Drizzt 11-06-2012 01:30 PM

Haha, the name Andreas Holmqvist reminds me of Anders Holmvik of the t.v. show Workaholics.

Vipers31 12-06-2012 08:36 AM

Small update - Andreas Holmqvist seems to have settled in nicely in the city, as well. He signed an extension on his contract for two further years until 2015. He's still leading the league in points for defensemen at 20 (5 goals, 15 assists) in 23 games played.

Talks have already started with the other Swedes, as well. Tjärnqvist said he'd leave the decision to his family, which is currently hovering between Cologne and home.

Vipers31 02-25-2013 08:14 AM

Another update from the Swedish colony in German hockey.

Andreas Holmqvist: 46 GP, 11 goals - 35 assists - 46 points (28 PPP), -6 [7th in scoring, 1st for D]
Daniel Tjärnqvist: 45 GP, 5 goals - 19 assists - 24 points, -10
Andreas Falk: 46 GP, 3 goals - 27 assists - 30 points, -3

With just four regular season games remaining, the Haie are five points clear of Mannheim to lead the league, and have already secured home ice throughout the semifinal, should they get there. They have generally looked strong against good competition, while seldomly blowing teams away. They have established themselves as a strong contender this year, but the league is tight, and the playoffs should be incredibly hard-fought.

Our Swedes play a huge part in that. When some of you told me that on his good days, Holmqvist was one of the best puckmovers in the SEL, I was quite optimistic, but he handily beat those expectations offensively. He's the best offensive defender in the league in years. His point-per-game pace from the blueline puts him top-10 in the league in scoring. The second-best offensive output for defenseman is lightyears away at 29 points, which is just one more than Holmqvist's pure powerplay numbers. The team's powerplay has been alright, and it would likely be a mess if it wasn't for him. His vision and slappers are a treat, and the team has gotten better at expecting his slap passes into the slot looking for redirections. There's obviously defensively questionable decision-making at times, but it's an instance where the good actually outweighs the bad quite easily.

Tjärnqvist has been Holmers partner almost all year. He's mainly trying to not be anything fancy, cover up when it's needed, and is efficient at that more often than not. Isn't quite as stable defensively as some hoped, but still has been fine, and isn't afraid to pinch in offensively when the right situation comes up.

Falk has been centering the nominal 1st line all year, but that's on a team that distributes the ice time more evenly than maybe any other team in the league among its top-9. He has been a perfect addition in many ways: he wins more faceoffs than he loses, plays as responsibly defensively as advertised, and plays with a lot of grit and gets under his opponents' skin. He didn't suddenly become an outstanding playmaker, but he did find decent chemistry with the offensive weapons on his line (most steadily Chris Minard). He also happened to be incredibly snake-bitten in terms of goalscoring, and I think two of his three goals might have come off crazy bounces to boot. :laugh: He strikes me as the type of guy that will find another gear in the postseason, so I'm looking forward to that.

All of these guys have also re-signed with the team for the next year, which is pretty great to see, given the dramatic leap forward the club has enjoyed since they arrived.

Nordic* 02-25-2013 02:17 PM

Thanks for the updates!

Cudos, by the way, on your English. I thought all Germans struggled with the English language ;)

svartgul 02-26-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic (Post 60449299)
Thanks for the updates!

Cudos, by the way, on your English. I thought all Germans struggled with the English language ;)

Few people from the germanic language as a native tounge struggle with english in these times. In my view germans are better than many Swedes in hiding their accents.

Vipers31 02-28-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic (Post 60449299)
Thanks for the updates!

Happy to hear people actually care for the updates. :)

And thanks on the English. :) I don't think you're entirely wrong, the average German's English isn't impressive, but I believe it's getting better these days. But there's downside - next time I happen to be abroad people will want to hear the German accent at some point, and as I worked hard to get beyond it as far as possible, I can't really pull it off deliberately any more ... :laugh:

Vipers31 03-16-2013 06:05 PM

In an awards gala before the upcoming playoffs (well, the officially titled "first round" is already on its way, but that really is a wild-card round for teams ranked #7-10), Andreas Holmqvist received the honors as best defenseman and best player for the regular season. (For those interested, his coach, former NHL-er Uwe Krupp won the Jack-Adams-equivalent for best coach.)

Nordic* 04-01-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipers31 (Post 61783919)
In an awards gala before the upcoming playoffs (well, the officially titled "first round" is already on its way, but that really is a wild-card round for teams ranked #7-10), Andreas Holmqvist received the honors as best defenseman and best player for the regular season. (For those interested, his coach, former NHL-er Uwe Krupp won the Jack-Adams-equivalent for best coach.)

Sweet!

Thanks again for update :)

Vipers31 04-21-2013 10:18 AM

Our mission found it's end today, but unfortunately wasn't successful. In the DEL's final, the Haie lost to Berlin, who keeps building their dynasty after winning the best-of-5 series in game 4. It was incredibly close, and could have gone either way. Tough, but looking at where we're coming from, it was an amazing season.

Holmqvist had some amazing moments these playoffs, as well, and Falk proved the guy right that mentioned he'd turn into a beast come playoff time. He certainly did, especially in the final.

Don't really have too many words right now. But it's going to be fun seeing these guys back together come September to get back to playing for it all. Including our three dear Swedes.

TheFatOne 11-13-2013 09:10 AM

Bump. Update?

McLlwain 01-10-2014 03:21 AM

In case anyone is interested, here is an extensive interview with Andreas Falk (in English):
http://www.haimspiel.de/magazin/news...html?tx_ttnews[day]=09&cHash=d3debd5beb85fc4b9dac05d9a078f067

He has cranked up his goal scoring significantly compared to last season and talks about the reasons for that. Also, there's a look back at his career in Sweden and - since his contract with Cologne expires at the end of the season - a little bit about what's coming up for him in the near future. Everyone in Cologne would love to keep him, but it looks like that's up in the air at this point.
(Long read, though.)

Holmqvist is currently recovering from post concussion syndroms. He's been out for a while, but has started working out just recently and is hoping to return to the line-up before the playoffs. He's missed badly by the team, especially on the powerplay. There's no one on the roster who could replace his shot.

Tjärnqvist is as steady and reliable as always. Definitely one of the backbones of the team. You would think he could have lost a step or two by now, but there's no drop off - at least not compared to last season.

TheFatOne 01-17-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLlwain (Post 77723635)
In case anyone is interested, here is an extensive interview with Andreas Falk (in English):
http://www.haimspiel.de/magazin/news...html?tx_ttnews[day]=09&cHash=d3debd5beb85fc4b9dac05d9a078f067

He has cranked up his goal scoring significantly compared to last season and talks about the reasons for that. Also, there's a look back at his career in Sweden and - since his contract with Cologne expires at the end of the season - a little bit about what's coming up for him in the near future. Everyone in Cologne would love to keep him, but it looks like that's up in the air at this point.
(Long read, though.)

Holmqvist is currently recovering from post concussion syndroms. He's been out for a while, but has started working out just recently and is hoping to return to the line-up before the playoffs. He's missed badly by the team, especially on the powerplay. There's no one on the roster who could replace his shot.

Tjärnqvist is as steady and reliable as always. Definitely one of the backbones of the team. You would think he could have lost a step or two by now, but there's no drop off - at least not compared to last season.

Thanks. What about Yared Hagos?