HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Best goalie from Minnesota (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1174887)

Al Lagoon 04-22-2012 09:32 PM

Best goalie from Minnesota
 
Watching Quick and Schneider battle it out, and hearing of their New England roots, it made me realize how few good goalies have come from Minnesota.

I think Jack McCartan of the Squaw Valley team, pete LoPresti, Jon Casey, Robb Stauber as Minnesota goalies who've had some success at some level, but why don't we produce goalies like we do other positions?

Am I missing some?

Dee Oh Cee 04-22-2012 09:33 PM

Stalock? :shrug:

J22 04-22-2012 10:19 PM

Going back a few years but Frank Brimsek is the best goalie to come out of Minnesota.

Vashanesh 04-22-2012 10:38 PM

Goaltending always ends up being the big whiff in the "we could create a full team of Minnesota-born players" game.

I can't think of a single one in this generation.

651* 04-22-2012 10:47 PM

Mike Lee will be our next (I know, we've not produced is this most important of categories) great 'tender, IMO.

I watched him bring the Rams all the way to State and kick butt. He's been awesome for SCSU and won the Gold for the USA National Team IIHF World Juniors.

He is our best hope.


Oh yeah, Coyotes just signed him to a contract as well.

WE NEED A GOOD GOALIE TO ADD TO OUR BEST RECORD OF AMERICA, DANG IT! :cry:

Victorious Secret 04-22-2012 10:47 PM

Frank Brimsek, which was already said. Our goalies usually top out at the college level.

Minnesota 04-22-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 651 (Post 48637921)
Mike Lee will be our next (I know, we've not produced is this most important of categories) great 'tender, IMO.

I watched him bring the Rams all the way to State and kick butt. He's been awesome for SCSU and won the Gold for the USA National Team IIHF World Juniors.

He is our best hope.


Oh yeah, Coyotes just signed him to a contract as well.

WE NEED A GOOD GOALIE TO ADD TO OUR BEST RECORD OF AMERICA, DANG IT! :cry:

Lee was pretty good with SCSU. As you said, there's also Kangas and Patterson from the U.

651* 04-22-2012 10:56 PM

Rob Stauber is all I really know of otherwise.

The Gophers SHOULD have produced more than a few NHLers, shame on them.

Victorious Secret 04-22-2012 11:18 PM

Gophers ruined a few good goaltenders.

squidz* 04-22-2012 11:21 PM

How buried is Stalock on San Jose's depth chart though? Hasn't Sateri or Sexsmith passed him? Also, looking at his stats, was he injured this year? Just 11 games played between 2 AHL and 1 ECHL teams this year.

Victorious Secret 04-22-2012 11:22 PM

Stalock has been passed. He has been spinning his wheels the last 2 years.

GopherState 04-22-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squidz (Post 48640149)
How buried is Stalock on San Jose's depth chart though? Hasn't Sateri or Sexsmith passed him? Also, looking at his stats, was he injured this year? Just 11 games played between 2 AHL and 1 ECHL teams this year.

Yeah he got cut by a skate last year and had nerve damage which took him out for close to a year.

forthewild 04-22-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 48638507)
Lee was pretty good with SCSU. As you said, there's also Kangas and Patterson from the U.

pretty much done for, plus i scored on him his/mine sophomore year when we played JV, 5 hole baby.

Victorious Secret 04-23-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthewild (Post 48642157)
pretty much done for, plus i scored on him his/mine sophomore year when we played JV, 5 hole baby.

overrated. It was a PP. Lighting was off. He had sweat in his eyes. His second-cousin recently got in a car crash and he was worried for his/her safety. He was a liability in net back then. ;)

forthewild 04-23-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorious Secret (Post 48642249)
overrated. It was a PP. Lighting was off. He had sweat in his eyes. His second-cousin recently got in a car crash and he was worried for his/her safety. He was a liability in net back then. ;)

actually he was a masssssive sieve as a 10th grader, he did get a great deal better from then on tho.

guess getting schooled by me shamed him, maybe i ought to get an ECHL contract.

SphinX 04-23-2012 12:30 AM

Jordan Parise is somewhat decent..

Victorious Secret 04-23-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthewild (Post 48642647)
actually he was a masssssive sieve as a 10th grader, he did get a great deal better from then on tho.

guess getting schooled by me shamed him, maybe i ought to get an ECHL contract.

You'd think you'd at least get that much. I don't know who was scouting that game. But they definitely lost their job. :naughty:

651* 04-23-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthewild (Post 48642157)
pretty much done for, plus i scored on him his/mine sophomore year when we played JV, 5 hole baby.

He ACTUALLY was junior varsity????

I thought pretty much any 'tender that went DI was always a stud that started varsity since minimum freshman/sophomore.

this providence 04-23-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 651 (Post 48649283)
I thought pretty much any 'tender that went DI was always a stud that started varsity since minimum freshman/sophomore.

Stalock was pretty thoroughly average at South St. Paul...

vitogor 04-23-2012 10:54 AM

I've decided to do a little research on this. Here's every single Minnesota-born goalie to play at least one game in the NHL (in alphabetical order):

Adam Berkhoel (St. Paul) - 9 games in 2005-2006 (Thrashers)
Frank Brimsek (Eveleth) - 514 games in 1938-1950 (Bruins, Blackhawks)
Jon Casey (Grand Rapids) - 425 games in 1983-1997 (North Stars, Bruins, Blues)
John Curry (Shorewood) - 4 games in 2008-2010 (Penguins)
Chad Erickson (Minneapolis) - 2 games in 1991-1992 (Devils)
Adam Hauser (Bovey) - 1 game in 2005-2006 (Kings)
Steve Janaszak (St. Paul) - 3 games in 1979-1982 (North Stars, Rockies)
Mike Karakas (Aurora) - 336 games in 1935-1946 (Blackhawks, Canadiens)
Pete LoPresti (Virginia) - 175 games in 1974-1981 (North Stars, Oilers)
Sam Lopresti (Elcor) - 74 games in 1940-1942 (Blackhawks)
Bob Mason (Int'l Falls) - 145 games in 1983-1991 (Capitals, Blackhawks, Nordiques, Canucks)
Jack McCartan (St. Paul) - 12 games in 1959-1961 (Rangers). Also played 42 games over 3 seasons for the Fighting Saints in the WHA.
Damian Rhodes (St. Paul) - 309 games in 1990-2002 (Maple Leafs, Senators, Thrashers)
Alex Stalock (South St. Paul) - 1 game in 2010-2011 (Sharks)
Robb Stauber (Duluth) - 62 games in 1989-1995 (Kings, Sabres)
Jim Watt (Duluth) - 1 game in 1973-1974 (Blues)

Victorious Secret 04-23-2012 11:37 AM

I went to a few rob stauber camps. Totally forgot about rhodes being from minnesota.

this providence 04-23-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorious Secret (Post 48659715)
I went to a few rob stauber camps. Totally forgot about rhodes being from minnesota.

Did you have to wear the StauBar? Looked around the web and couldn't find any pictures. Must not have worked out all that well... :laugh:

651* 04-23-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitogor (Post 48657295)
I've decided to do a little research on this. Here's every single Minnesota-born goalie to play at least one game in the NHL (in alphabetical order):

Adam Berkhoel (St. Paul) - 9 games in 2005-2006 (Thrashers)
Frank Brimsek (Eveleth) - 514 games in 1938-1950 (Bruins, Blackhawks)
Jon Casey (Grand Rapids) - 425 games in 1983-1997 (North Stars, Bruins, Blues)
John Curry (Shorewood) - 4 games in 2008-2010 (Penguins)
Chad Erickson (Minneapolis) - 2 games in 1991-1992 (Devils)
Adam Hauser (Bovey) - 1 game in 2005-2006 (Kings)
Steve Janaszak (St. Paul) - 3 games in 1979-1982 (North Stars, Rockies)
Mike Karakas (Aurora) - 336 games in 1935-1946 (Blackhawks, Canadiens)
Pete LoPresti (Virginia) - 175 games in 1974-1981 (North Stars, Oilers)
Sam Lopresti (Elcor) - 74 games in 1940-1942 (Blackhawks)
Bob Mason (Int'l Falls) - 145 games in 1983-1991 (Capitals, Blackhawks, Nordiques, Canucks)
Jack McCartan (St. Paul) - 12 games in 1959-1961 (Rangers). Also played 42 games over 3 seasons for the Fighting Saints in the WHA.
Damian Rhodes (St. Paul) - 309 games in 1990-2002 (Maple Leafs, Senators, Thrashers)
Alex Stalock (South St. Paul) - 1 game in 2010-2011 (Sharks)
Robb Stauber (Duluth) - 62 games in 1989-1995 (Kings, Sabres)
Jim Watt (Duluth) - 1 game in 1973-1974 (Blues)


Well done.


Seems like a VEEEEEEERY short list considering all the talent we have produced over the years. I really want Lee to do BIG things though and there are a couple others I have my eye on in the WCHA at the current time.

Al Lagoon 04-23-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 651 (Post 48665201)
Well done.


Seems like a VEEEEEEERY short list considering all the talent we have produced over the years. I really want Lee to do BIG things though and there are a couple others I have my eye on in the WCHA at the current time.

Agreed, well done.

Agreed, ridiculously short list: seems like quite an anomaly.

Is it because there are fewer opportunities for goalies than position players, especially those that go the high school route?

651* 04-23-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Lagoon (Post 48673497)
Agreed, well done.

Agreed, ridiculously short list: seems like quite an anomaly.

Is it because there are fewer opportunities for goalies than position players, especially those that go the high school route?

You know what, I thought about it and America in general has never produced particularly great goalies. I think even Europe has us beat in that category. Check out this link of all-time great US born goalies:

http://*******************/articles/...istory/page/10

:help:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.