HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NCAA, CIS, and other college (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Boston School's Arenas (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=117596)

marshall4 12-09-2004 12:50 PM

Boston School's Arenas

Do the schoold in Boston (BU, BC, Northeastern) all have their own arena on campus?

Do any of the schools play out of the Fleet center? Or do they only play games from the Beanpot tourney out of that arena?

IkeaMonkey* 12-09-2004 01:45 PM

None of them play at the Fleetcenter.BU plays at Walter Brown Arena for now, but is building a new arena. NU plays at the Matthews Arena and BC plays Silvio Conte Forum.

Bruno8 12-09-2004 01:51 PM

The Boston area D-I colleges all have their own arena. The Beanpot Tournament
and the Hockey East championship are played at the Fleet Center.

Boston College has the Conte Forum. 6-7 years old, holds about 6000 and is beautiful, as is the whole BC campus

Boston University has Walter Brown Arena but very soon will move into the
state-of-the-art Harry Agganis Arena. I haven't been in it, but from what I've seen in drawings, it looks wonderful. It will be second to none in college hockey.

Northeastern University plays out of Mathews Arena. I believe it's the oldest continually operated arena in North America. The Boston Bruins played there before the Boston Garden was built. NU put a ton of money into the place and is great old barn. Mathews Arena is right on NU's campus too. Great place.

You can take the subway or trolly to each of them.

canadahockeygirl* 12-09-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno8
state-of-the-art Harry Agganis Arena. I haven't been in it, but from what I've seen in drawings, it looks wonderful. It will be second to none in college hockey.

From what I hear from a few friends who are playing at BU now or are BU hockey alums, the place will be amazing. I can't wait to go over and catch a game.

A few of the non D-1 schools have their own rink as well. It's kind of crappy, but we have our own here at MIT. You'd think with all the smart people around, they'd be able to find a way to make it a little nicer and high-tech.

marshall4 12-09-2004 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
From what I hear from a few friends who are playing at BU now or are BU hockey alums, the place will be amazing. I can't wait to go over and catch a game.

A few of the non D-1 schools have their own rink as well. It's kind of crappy, but we have our own here at MIT. You'd think with all the smart people around, they'd be able to find a way to make it a little nicer and high-tech.

Does MIT have a big hockey program?

IkeaMonkey* 12-09-2004 04:41 PM

They dont compete at the NCAA D1 or D3 levels I know for sure. I think they are only a club team, CHG will obviously know more :x.

canadahockeygirl* 12-09-2004 06:42 PM

It's considered a varsity team, but plays against club teams and non-varsity teams in the NECHA.

Overall, MIT is a D3 school.

Terrier 12-13-2004 03:36 PM

Matthews Arena at Northeastern is a classic, with its overhanging balcony. Here is a picture:

http://gonu.com/facilities/matthews.html

Here is a story on the new Agganis Arena at Boston University:

http://sports.bostonherald.com/colle...rticleid=54425

The Bright Center at Harvard is also a nice place to take in a game. Before it was renovated in the late 70's, it was called Watson Rink, and the hockey scenes from "Love Story" were filmed there, with coach Bill Cleary standing in(or skating in) for Ryan O'Neal.

http://www.chtg.net/cgi-bin/showscho...ard+University

beerpaul* 01-10-2005 03:34 PM

:D I don't think BU's new arena is better than North Dakota's, which just hosted the World Junior tournament. This arena is supposed to be the best in the world. :yo:
Quote:

The Boston area D-I colleges all have their own arena. The Beanpot Tournament
and the Hockey East championship are played at the Fleet Center.

Boston College has the Conte Forum. 6-7 years old, holds about 6000 and is beautiful, as is the whole BC campus

Northeastern University plays out of Mathews Arena. I believe it's the oldest continually operated arena in North America. The Boston Bruins played there before the Boston Garden was built. NU put a ton of money into the place and is great old barn. Mathews Arena is right on NU's campus too. Great place.

You can take the subway or trolly to each of them.

IkeaMonkey* 01-10-2005 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerpaul
:D I don't think BU's new arena is better than North Dakota's, which just hosted the World Junior tournament. This arena is supposed to be the best in the world. :yo:

I've heard its a pretty nice barn. Comparable to Lowell from what I hear from players and fans.

JJ24 01-11-2005 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerpaul

Agganis Arena may not have marble floors or leather seats, but to build it, BU didn't have to get into bed with a known Hitler-lover who threatened to raze the entire place if UND considered changing the school's Fighting Sioux nickname.

Brendan Shanahan visited Agganis Arena and called it one of the best facilities he's ever seen. At least one recruit who was considered a lock for a nearby school is now leaning toward BU after visiting the new arena.

canadahockeygirl* 01-11-2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

I've heard its a pretty nice barn. Comparable to Lowell from what I hear from players and fans.
The Tsongas is nice, but it's no Agganis. I've been in both and have to say BU definitely has the edge.

Oilers Chick 01-11-2005 05:58 PM

JJ or Terrier: Have either of you been to Agganis yet since it opened? I've seen the pictures and the facility looks gorgeous! I can't wait to get there myself (although, it may not be until next season :cry: ).

Agganis looks really nice, but I'm already missing Walter Brown because of the great moments that that place gave us.

Bruno8 01-11-2005 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
JJ or Terrier: Have either of you been to Agganis yet since it opened? I've seen the pictures and the facility looks gorgeous! I can't wait to get there myself (although, it may not be until next season :cry: ).

Agganis looks really nice, but I'm already missing Walter Brown because of the great moments that that place gave us.

At $22 a ticket, I'm missing the Walter Brown Arena too!
Did they forget this is still college hockey?

canadahockeygirl* 01-12-2005 09:50 AM

Well hey, maybe you can go catch Duran Duran for as much as it would be to catch a game? ;)

Bruno8 01-13-2005 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
Well hey, maybe you can go catch Duran Duran for as much as it would be to catch a game? ;)

I did see REM at Walter Brown Arena back in 1983!

devildan 01-19-2005 02:44 PM

Quote:

At $22 a ticket, I'm missing the Walter Brown Arena too!
Did they forget this is still college hockey?

Tickets to WB were the same. $11 for Bu students, $22 for non BU students.