HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What to Do About Kane? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1176253)

UsernameWasTaken 04-24-2012 02:02 AM

What to Do About Kane?

This isn't a "Trade Kane for Miller" thread - obviously, this wasn't a great year for Kane...in fact, it was the worst offensive year he's had for the Hawks. Still, I think he's a great player and an important part of the core.

In his defense, he had a wrist problem. Fine. Not his fault. But what's becoming a problem is that he's a defensive liability and I'm worried that his offensive problems extend past a bum wrist...

he stick handles way too much, has an ongoing "brain fart" when it comes to knowing when to take a shot, and forces defensive liability on the rest of his shift when his "hold the puck" mentality turns his line mates into bowling pins for the opposite team.

at times he's "sucked less" than the other options at centre and has "sucked less" on faceoffs than some of the other options. but...not good enough.

if kane has a future at centre, then i think bowman needs to be fired b/c whether scouting wise, or acquisition wise, surely there is better use of Patrick Kane.

Sarava 04-24-2012 02:08 AM

Hopefully our new coaching staff *cough* will not bounce Kaner around and will leave him on the right wing where he belongs.

DoomsdayVillain 04-24-2012 02:17 AM

Leave him be, get someone like Benn/Vanek for Sharp or something.

StarsHawks* 04-24-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dekes (Post 48725215)
Leave him be, get someone like Benn/Vanek for Sharp or something.

Lol why would we trade our franchise player Benn for Sharp?

EchoesoftheEighties 04-24-2012 02:26 AM

Kane is the catalyst of your offence. The comebacks in games 1 and 2 don't happen without his shiftiness and his creativity. Getting rid of him would be a HUGE mistake IMO. Plus you can't overlook what he has done in the past. When he's on his game, he's a 90 point player. He was in a bit of a funk this year but that's no reason to trade him or anything, let him work it out.

Sarava 04-24-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaray_656 (Post 48725375)
Kane is the catalyst of your offence. The comebacks in games 1 and 2 don't happen without his shiftiness and his creativity. Getting rid of him would be a HUGE mistake IMO. Plus you can't overlook what he has done in the past. When he's on his game, he's a 90 point player. He was in a bit of a funk this year but that's no reason to trade him or anything, let him work it out.

I agree. Kaner will be fine.

Pepe Silvia 04-24-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 48725057)
Hopefully our new coaching staff *cough* will not bounce Kaner around and will leave him on the right wing where he belongs.

he was bounced around out of necessity. it wasn't an ideal situation. but i agree, he's better suited at right wing, even though he's pretty decent at center. sucks ass at faceoffs though

Hawks82 04-24-2012 02:59 AM

There are easy explanations for why Kane's point production dropped off this season.

-He scored a massive 10 points on the PP this season. If the PP is even average you can add 10 points to his stats.
- I know I saw quite a few times this season where Kane put filthy passes on the sticks of Brunette, Stalberg, etc. and they couldn't finish. Probably cost him at least 5-8 points.

Really the biggest problem with Kane, is that Q doesn't know how to use him.

As for some of the brain farts and poor shot percentage...I just watched the Art Ross and likely Hart Trophy winner continually miss the net and turn the puck over in the Philly series. It happens...there isn't a mistake free player in the game, it's nearly pointless to complain about.

What this season showed me with Kane is that he needs to be at C full time. He's the best stick handler and has the best hands on the team, having him at C allows him to run and control the offense when he's on the ice. There isn't a better way to maximize his talent & value to the team.

When Toews was out for the last 22 games, it was Kane who stepped up his game and emerged as one of the team leaders.

The real issue going forward, if he sticks at C is to find a way to improve his FO %. Plus, it'll probably be much easier to find a top six winger via trade than a C that can do what Kane can.

Crazy_Ike 04-24-2012 03:07 AM

Play him with Toews. Give them a power forward on the LW. Construct an actual functioning second line with Sharp and Hossa with a real center, preferably a playmaking one but certainly one that can win faceoffs. Get the scrubs Kruger and Stalberg out of the top six. Top two lines problem solved.

Pepe Silvia 04-24-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawks82 (Post 48725803)
There are easy explanations for why Kane's point production dropped off this season.

-He scored a massive 10 points on the PP this season. If the PP is even average you can add 10 points to his stats.
- I know I saw quite a few times this season where Kane put filthy passes on the sticks of Brunette, Stalberg, etc. and they couldn't finish. Probably cost him at least 5-8 points.

As for some of the brain farts and poor shot percentage...I just watched the Art Ross and likely Hart Trophy winner continually miss the net and turn the puck over in the Philly series. It happens...there isn't a mistake free player in the game, it's nearly pointless to complain about.

What this season showed me with Kane is that he needs to be at C full time. He's the best stick handler and has the best hands on the team, having him at C allows him to run and control the offense when he's on the ice. There isn't a better way to maximize his talent & value to the team.

When Toews was out for the last 22 games, it was Kane who stepped up his game and emerged as one of the team leaders.

The real issue going forward, if he sticks at C is to find a way to improve his FO %. Plus, it'll probably be much easier to find a top six winger via trade than a C that can do what Kane can.

kane definitely has the talent and offensive awareness/playmaking ability to play center. he justs need to work on faceoffs, and most importantly, backchecking. if he doesn't wanna be a better two way player, then he needs to stay at the wing. i would much rather see kane at center than sharp though

Big Naissak 04-24-2012 03:14 AM

Cory Schneider, Alexander Edler, 1st for Kane :naughty:

sketch22 04-24-2012 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 48724927)
This isn't a "Trade Kane for Miller" thread - obviously, this wasn't a great year for Kane...in fact, it was the worst offensive year he's had for the Hawks. Still, I think he's a great player and an important part of the core.

Do you know what the difference between Kane and Giroux is? One played on a team with an effective power play and the other didn't. Kane was tied for 12th in the league for scoring at even strength (so was Hossa). If the Hawks pp could actually score his numbers would be better.

Quote:

In his defense, he had a wrist problem. Fine. Not his fault. But what's becoming a problem is that he's a defensive liability and I'm worried that his offensive problems extend past a bum wrist...

See above. Also he has improved defensively every year. There is no reason to think he will stop improving now.

Quote:

he stick handles way too much, has an ongoing "brain fart" when it comes to knowing when to take a shot, and forces defensive liability on the rest of his shift when his "hold the puck" mentality turns his line mates into bowling pins for the opposite team.

That is what Kane does. Do I wish he would shoot more? Absolutely. But Kane is a playmaker at heart and that isn't exactly a bad thing. Plus don't forget that he is still a kid and hasn't reached his prime yet. People always seem to forget how young he still is.

Quote:

at times he's "sucked less" than the other options at centre and has "sucked less" on faceoffs than some of the other options. but...not good enough.

if kane has a future at centre, then i think bowman needs to be fired b/c whether scouting wise, or acquisition wise, surely there is better use of Patrick Kane.

It was his first time consistently playing center in the NHL, what did you expect? If the Hawks move him back to wing next year I think he will be fine. If the Hawks tell him they plan to keep him at center next year I think he will bust his ass to be more effective at the nuances of the position. Kane has shown he is willing to do the work to make himself a better player. The worst thing the Hawks can do for him is to be indecisive about where he is playing next year.

DontToewzMeBro 04-24-2012 03:53 AM

Stalberg,Morin, pick for Zajac
Emery,Bickell,2nd for Bernier/

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Zajac-Hossa
Shaw-Bolland-Hayes
Kruger-Handzus-Carcillo

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Hammer
Monty-Olsen

Crawford
Bernier

CS85 04-24-2012 04:04 AM

Of all the stupid crap that's been circulated this season is the "trade kane" stuff. Just stop already.

Hawkster 04-24-2012 04:47 AM

It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread already, but I'll post it again.

You play Patrick Kane on the right wing, with Jonathan Toews as his center.

That's it.

Bubba88 04-24-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike (Post 48725853)
Play him with Toews. Give them a power forward on the LW. Construct an actual functioning second line with Sharp and Hossa with a real center, preferably a playmaking one but certainly one that can win faceoffs. Get the scrubs Kruger and Stalberg out of the top six. Top two lines problem solved.

want a spot as HC in Chicago?

it's really as easy as Ike writes. Krüger to the bottom 6, Stalberg too (if not traded). Bring in a real #2 Center if possible and if not, sell the farm

BarDownBrown 04-24-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawks82 (Post 48725803)

you hit the nail on the head, there were several games this year when Kane should have had 3-4 beautiful assists and the recipients of his passes couldn't finish. One game that comes to mind is the game against Ottawa, he dismantled the Senators and I think he may have finished with a point.

He has to stop trying to shoot high on goaltenders all the time.. they know he's going to shoot there and the fact is he just doesn't have the velocity on his shot that someone like Stamkos has. If he shot low there would be more rebounds as well and he could rack up assists like that ala Ovi

MurrayBannerman 04-24-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars (Post 48725257)
Lol why would we trade our franchise player Benn for Sharp?

Because you guys are our bros. :fistbump:

Hawkaholic 04-24-2012 09:11 AM

Kane was awful this year, and in the playoffs. I don't care how many assists he had, he had just as many giveaways and couldn't hit the ****ing net for the life of him.

I wouldn't be upset if they traded him at all, but it won't happen.

HockeySensible 04-24-2012 09:16 AM

Trade everyone, then blame Bowman when we suck again.

This board's a joke.

Hawkaholic 04-24-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 48731253)

This board's a joke.

When did I say everyone? I never said trade anyone, I said I wouldn't be upset if they did....not one bit.

HockeySensible 04-24-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkaholic (Post 48731361)
When did I say everyone? I never said trade anyone, I said I wouldn't be upset if they did....not one bit.

Did I respond to you? No.

Trade everyone.

digdug41982 04-24-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 48731253)

This board's a joke.

Don't trade anyone. Fire Bowman.

xX Hot Fuss 04-24-2012 09:34 AM

Bowman will go before Kane does. As he should.

I don't feel like getting into how dynamic of a player Kane is, his value to the hawks, and the potential of a 23 year old...especially on a hawks board.

digdug41982 04-24-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss (Post 48731841)
Bowman will go before Kane does. As he should.

I don't feel like getting into how dynamic of a player Kane is, his value to the hawks, and the potential of a 23 year old...especially on a hawks board.

If Bowman thinks trading Kane is the answer, he is going to trade Kane.