HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Rumor: Unofficial Rumor/Proposal Thread. Offseason Recon Part 4 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1177035)

Spawn 04-25-2012 01:36 AM

Unofficial Rumor/Proposal Thread. Offseason Recon Part 4

Last thread full, discussion on goaltending:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakai17 (Post 48762317)
I am game for acquiring Josh Harding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koto (Post 48762751)
ufa?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogEatDog (Post 48773787)
Nice edit Lakai

IF we are looking at getting a goalie--what do we do with the two we have?

also

2012/02/26 Missed 2 games (undisclosed).
2012/02/23 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
2011/12/16 Missed 4 games (head injury).
2011/12/14 Head injury, injured reserve.
2011/12/08 Head injury, day-to-day.
2011/07/01 Re-signed by the Minnesota Wild to a one-year contract.
2011/04/10 Missed all 82 games of the season (right knee injury).
2010/09/26 Right knee injury, injured reserve.
2010/06/16 Minnesota Wild tendered a qualifying offer.
2010/04/11 Missed the last 7 games of the regular season (hip injury).
2010/03/29 Hip injury, sidelined indefinitely.
2010/02/14 Missed 3 games (hip injury).
2010/02/06 Hip injury, day-to-day.
2009/12/15 Flu, day-to-day.
2009/11/05 Missed 3 games (lower body injury).
2009/10/28 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2009/06/29 Minnesota Wild tendered a qualifying offer.
2008/11/20 Missed 1 game (lower body injury).
2008/11/18 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2007/11/30 Missed 3 games (head injury).
2007/11/22 Head injury, sidelined indefinitely

Harding while is still young for a goalie at 27--I do not like the fact he tends to get injured a lot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spawn (Post 48775283)
Legitimate concern. Harding has had a bunch of injury problems and via being a backup has never shown he can play a large share of games. We don't even know if he can handle the workload of anything greater than a backup. He played 34 this year which is the most he's ever played and his numbers weren't significantly better than Dubnyk's. Harding would be an obvious upgrade over Khabibulin, but I don't think he would be over Dubnyk. If we traded Khabibulin and were able to sign Harding I would be all over it, but I don't think swapping Harding in for Dubnyk makes the Oilers any better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustrock (Post 48775943)
Yup, I'll pass on Harding. I take a look at Bernier and Holtby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 48776083)
The Oilers aren't interested in Harding any more than they're interested in Luongo or any other goalie because it would interfere with their plan of doing nothing. Besides, doing so would likely cost them the high draft pick they're getting next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDU (Post 48777593)
lol look all u want, pretty sure holtby is going no where...

i would be game in buying khabby out to bring in bernier or harding though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by raab (Post 48777889)
If were not confident in Dubnyk next year we should trade him and take a run at Vokoun in the off season. With the emergence of Holtby I doubt Washington keeps him around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwave (Post 48777943)
Dubnyk earned a shot for next year for better or worse.

I think our goaltenders will stay the same, but they'll improve the defense.

Honestly for both of our goalies to have had a better than .910 save percentage last season was a minor miracle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobiezeke (Post 48778003)
Khabi/Vokoun...geez that's a bad combination. One has been displaced by a unproven goalie based on a lack of confidence by the coaches/management and the other is named Khabi...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoredMan (Post 48778055)
Mighty generous of you. :sarcasm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by raab (Post 48778277)
What are you talking about Vokoun has been injured since Mar 29 and missed games since the beginning of March most likely because of the same injury.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 48778417)
I'd be willing to bet DD and Khabby will be the goalies next year regardless of who is available on the open market or trades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobiezeke (Post 48778535)
So you want a Khabi/Vokoun combo? Really? You understand that prior to March Washington wasn't even making the playoffs.

I believe there is a better option than two older goalies that have a recent history of extensive injuries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raab (Post 48778663)
Meh I'd take Vokoun for a few years at his current salary hes better then anything else we have right now. Dubnyk may turn out to be better and I'm not against waiting to find out, but there's no way I go into next season with a Harding Dubnyk combo. Also your severely underestimating him as a goalie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobiezeke (Post 48779003)
First, yes he has a decent contract, being a UFA. Second, I never said I wanted Dubnyk Harding as a tandem. Finally, Vokoun and Khabi are very similar in their performance this past year - great at times, pooped the bed regularily. You are severely overestimating Vokuon. Don`t want both on this team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raab (Post 48779213)
As I said Id only take him if the team isn't comfortable with Dubnyk going forward. I think he is the best goaltender available this summer and would be a good stop gap. There's no way I want another young goaltender coming in here with Dubnyk backing him up. That's probably the worst thing this organization could do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloned (Post 48779281)
Just offer Tippett a 10 year, 10 million dollar a year contract with the title of Assistant GM as well and steal him from the Coyotes. Then offer Hitchcock the same contract with the title of Associate GM and Coach.

Then watch as Dubnyk wins 10 straight Vezina trophies and the Oilers allow less than 100 goals in a season for the first time in modern NHL history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 48779329)
Odd. Harding is near the top of my list of reasonably achievable G. Bernier will cost more to get and I don't see Holtby going anywhere. And if Harding gets hurt we see what Dubnyk can do. He looked really good in 2012, and could surprise next year.

But then I am far more optimistic about our G then some. I still think we could find a legit starter in one of Dubnyk, Roy, or Bunz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spawn (Post 48779489)
I agree with Roy and Bunz, they have the potential to possibly do it. Dubnyk hasn't been consistent enough in the NHL for me to think that he can be a legit starter for a team that hopes to go to the playoffs. Problem is Roy and Bunz realistically are a few years away at the soonest from whether or not we can see if they have anything at the NHL level.

I would like to say I have faith in Dubnyk, but he pulled a pretty similar act two seasons in a row now where he gets hot at the end after a pretty mediocre to bad season up to that point.

I just don't necessarily think Harding is a better option.

Groucho 04-25-2012 01:46 AM

Give Dubnyk the reins in 2012 and see where he goes. Let Khabbi back him up and ease his work load. A goalie should not be this teams UFA focus in the off season...

Namtsua 04-25-2012 02:05 AM

I'm hoping that Dubnyk will get the majority of the game 51/31 or 61/21 (unlikely) and, hopefully, he will perform like he did in 2012 and Khabby will perform like he did in 2011 :yo:

Jimmi Jenkins 04-25-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namtsua (Post 48780377)
I'm hoping that Dubnyk will get the majority of the game 51/31 or 61/21 (unlikely) and, hopefully, he will perform like he did in 2012 and Khabby will perform like he did in 2011 :yo:

60+ is a little much, imo, unless he forces the team to give him the time through his play.

I'd say 50-55 starts should be perfect, Habby can handle the other half of that work load. Or, if he's moved, bring in someone that can as well.

CornKicker 04-25-2012 08:38 AM

if dubnyk isnt the answer in net i would love for the oilers to get bernier from LA, quick is still young and is proving why he is the #1 in teh playoffs. bernier is a valuable asset from the kings side as he is a starting goalie imo

joestevens29 04-25-2012 08:46 AM

I don't like what is out there for goalies and given what has happened this playoffs I think the market could be higher than last year. We really aren't at a point where we have to get someone so I'd stick with what we have. I would potentially look to see if Bulin is moveable and try bring in someone younger. Roll the dice on a Mason for Bulin? Or sign a Gustavsson and hope that one of the two could finally make that next step.

Guys like Harding and Vokoun are going to be making a killing on this years market and I don't know that I want to lock into 4-5 year deals with those guys.

I also don't want to be giving up a ransom for a Bernier or Neuvrith only to find out they are as good as Varlamov.

joestevens29 04-25-2012 09:12 AM

Just doing some random searching today and Benoit Pouilot seems to have jumped out at me today. RFA this year and I don't know if Boston will keep him. Big body, 16g-16a in 12 minutes of play. Wonder how he'd fit in on a line with the young kids or even with Hemmer. Seems to have a high career shooting percentage at 13.5%, get some more shots off and could very easily be a 20g guy for us.

Beerfish 04-25-2012 09:13 AM

Where can I find a list of all of our contracts? We are at 48 supposedly right now and they are talking about not signing some drafted players. Where is the list of 48?

Jimmi Jenkins 04-25-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 48786619)
Just doing some random searching today and Benoit Pouilot seems to have jumped out at me today. RFA this year and I don't know if Boston will keep him. Big body, 16g-16a in 12 minutes of play. Wonder how he'd fit in on a line with the young kids or even with Hemmer. Seems to have a high career shooting percentage at 13.5%, get some more shots off and could very easily be a 20g guy for us.

Not a bad option, but doesn't he have issues with always bringing it? Also, I wonder if they keep him because of the state of Nathan Horton

Oilbleeder 04-25-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerfish (Post 48786659)
Where can I find a list of all of our contracts? We are at 48 supposedly right now and they are talking about not signing some drafted players. Where is the list of 48?

http://capgeek.com/depth_charts.php?team_id=1

joestevens29 04-25-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 48786675)
Not a bad option, but doesn't he have issues with always bringing it? Also, I wonder if they keep him because of the state of Nathan Horton

That is the wild card although he isn't the only one that Boston could lose. Paile is a UFA, Campbell is a UFA, Kelly is a UFA, so you never know what PC is going to do. Call me crazy, but I could really see Rolston hanging around too. Could be there Mark Recchi for the 12-13 season.

dustrock 04-25-2012 09:32 AM

If Vokoun stays the same price I'd look at him if we ditch Khabby.

He has been consistently good on crappy teams and I would hope this season with Washington is an outlier.

T-Funk 04-25-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustrock (Post 48787391)

He has been consistently good on crappy teams and I would hope this season with Washington is an outlier.

He is 35 though. Could be losing his mojo.

joestevens29 04-25-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustrock (Post 48787391)

I doubt Vokoun stays the same price unless he is taking a discount to stay in WSH.

Jimmi Jenkins 04-25-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 48786875)
That is the wild card although he isn't the only one that Boston could lose. Paile is a UFA, Campbell is a UFA, Kelly is a UFA, so you never know what PC is going to do. Call me crazy, but I could really see Rolston hanging around too. Could be there Mark Recchi for the 12-13 season.

I think so, he skates well, knows his role and Boston is a team that still needs the Grey Beards to help in the Playoffs.

The only big loss I see is Kelly, he plays important minutes for them, but I think Paile and Campbell can be replaced by Caron and others. I think they bring Pouliot back, but I don't think it's 100%, and he might not be the worst fit, in the short term to start, for the club.

joestevens29 04-25-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 48787773)
I think so, he skates well, knows his role and Boston is a team that still needs the Grey Beards to help in the Playoffs.

The only big loss I see is Kelly, he plays important minutes for them, but I think Paile and Campbell can be replaced by Caron and others. I think they bring Pouliot back, but I don't think it's 100%, and he might not be the worst fit, in the short term to start, for the club.

The funny thing is I think Boston could lose there whole 4th line and replace it with ECHLers and still do well. Same goes for their bottom pairing. Then come tdd they can make the simple trades and be ready to go for the playoffs. They are the new DET in my books.

ponokanocker 04-25-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 48780061)
Give Dubnyk the reins in 2012 and see where he goes. Let Khabbi back him up and ease his work load. A goalie should not be this teams UFA focus in the off season...

Totally agreed. Let's focus on fixing the blueline and see what our goalies do with an NHL blueline ahead of them. Schultz should be the main priority June 1. A package of forwards or UFA signing should be step 2 on July 1. Sutton and Potter need to become #7 and #8 on the depth chart. I'm not sure what happens to Peckham after his play this year.

Beerfish 04-25-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilbleeder (Post 48786867)

Thanks for that. I had only ever looked at cap geek for the current major league roster. My next question is about the years listed. We have a lot of guys listed as 2012, does that mean we are committed to them for the next year or can we let them go after this year?

(Brutal that we have Abney and Rajala showing as still being under contract till 2014)

We had better not lose any of our young prospects because we have the Arcobellos of the world as a committed contract.

rockinghockey 04-25-2012 10:02 AM

Draft Yak and there is not much more we can do with our fwds.

Go hard at Schultz and then it all depends on if Whitney can bounce back. Peckham is gone, there is no room for him.

What about Zajac from NJ, he would be a nice 2nd line centreman behind RNH.

joestevens29 04-25-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinghockey (Post 48788519)
Draft Yak and there is not much more we can do with our fwds.

Go hard at Schultz and then it all depends on if Whitney can bounce back. Peckham is gone, there is no room for him.

What about Zajac from NJ, he would be a nice 2nd line centreman behind RNH.

Problem with Zajac is he is a UFA after next year, that and NJ probably doesn't deal him as they are real weak at center.

OilerFan4Life 04-25-2012 10:24 AM

Zajac is a pipedream.

He'll probably get 5 million/year thrown at him next summer by the hometown Jets

OilerFan4Life 04-25-2012 10:27 AM

PRV for Clowe. It's time to finally trade potential for NOW.
Acquire Martin from Pittsburgh for a small contract dump and bag of pucks.
Sign Schultz.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov
Eager-Horcoff-Hemsky
Jones-Belanger-Harti
Hords

Whitney-Martin
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Sutton, Potter

Dubnyk
Khabi

Plane, Teubert, Lander on a first call-up basis. That roster is a legitimate threat to challenge for a playoff spot if healthy.

The Nuge 04-25-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 48785547)
if dubnyk isnt the answer in net i would love for the oilers to get bernier from LA, quick is still young and is proving why he is the #1 in teh playoffs. bernier is a valuable asset from the kings side as he is a starting goalie imo

I don't get the love for Bernier. He hasn't proven to be any better than Dubnyk

Mr Forever 04-25-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 48789925)
I don't get the love for Bernier. He hasn't proven to be any better than Dubnyk

It's the mystery box effect.

Quinteoilers 04-25-2012 11:26 AM

I would still make a serious play for Jordan Staal. And deal Gagner for a solid defencemen.