HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cox: Downie could have been a Leaf (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1178207)

TheDroughtEndsHERE 04-26-2012 01:05 PM

Downie could have been a Leaf

•Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: At the trade deadline, the Maple Leafs were given a choice between 24-year old Steve Downie (a RFA looking for more than $3 million)

Anyone else surprised Burke chose Ashton over Downie?

Ashton is a good prospect and everything and could turn out to be a decent 2nd/3rd liner, but Downie already is that and seems to be exactly the kind of player Burke would covet. He's also only 24, so he fits right into the make-up of this young Leaf team.

Phion Keneuf 04-26-2012 01:06 PM

Burke doesnt like rats

cyris 04-26-2012 01:08 PM

Since when does Cox have any inside information?
I call BS.

TheDroughtEndsHERE 04-26-2012 01:08 PM

EDIT: •Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: At the trade deadline, the Maple Leafs were given a choice between 24-year old Steve Downie (a RFA looking for more than $3 million) or 20-year old Carter Ashton for defenseman Keith Aulie.

Jerkini 04-26-2012 01:10 PM

I would have HAPPILY taken Steve Downie over Ashton.

It's one thing to be a bad team, it's quite another to be a bad team and get embarrassed physically every night. Downie is a psychopath on skates. He'd have gone a long way in changing that.

Tak7 04-26-2012 01:11 PM

I'm biased - I like Downie.

Hate playing against him, love playing with him.

Too early to judge Ashton, but he's not exactly one that is thrilling/exciting people with his flashes of brilliance. Went anonymous large stretches of games after the deadline. Again - being unfair on the kid, just making a point

TheNorthFace 04-26-2012 01:12 PM

Downie was already gone to the Avs well before the deadline and apparently that Ashton deal came from conversations on deadline day.

KlattNazty 04-26-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerkini (Post 48859133)
I would have HAPPILY taken Steve Downie over Ashton.

It's one thing to be a bad team, it's quite another to be a bad team and get embarrassed physically every night. Downie is a psychopath on skates. He'd have gone a long way in changing that.

couple reasons IMO

1. we have a super pest coming up, brad ross. he even fights, brings more size, and is pretty similar to downie.

2. we have a clear lack of big body fwds, and ashton's development has been right on track, and he plays a relatively strong cycle game that fits carlyles style.

Patty Lee 04-26-2012 01:12 PM

if it's true I'm glad he made the choice he did

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER 04-26-2012 01:15 PM

Unless Burke was given this choice before February 27th, 2012 there is no way Downie was offered on the deadline day itself because he had been traded to Colorado a few days before. So Cox's should at least get facts like that right before writting something.

Erza Scarlet 04-26-2012 01:15 PM

I don't want Downie on this team.

blasted_Sabre 04-26-2012 01:16 PM

No thanks. I have higher hopes for Ashton then a Steve Downie type.

Tak7 04-26-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KlattNazty (Post 48859253)
couple reasons IMO

1. we have a super pest coming up, brad ross. he even fights, brings more size, and is pretty similar to downie.

2. we have a clear lack of big body fwds, and ashton's development has been right on track, and he plays a relatively strong cycle game that fits carlyles style.

1 - How far away is Ross from the NHL? It's cool that some people around here can simply name prospect's names without knowing anything about them.

2 - In order to be a tougher team to play against, you don't necessarily need bigger players. But tougher players. On nights when Darcy Tucker was on his game, the Leafs all looked a few inches bigger than when he wasn't in the lineup.

SprDaVE 04-26-2012 01:18 PM

I would have loved Downie but Ashton seems like a solid prospect as well.

I don't blame Burke for going with the younger 'not a head case' prospect.

Guy Boucher 04-26-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 48858991)
Since when does Cox have any inside information?
I call BS.

He's actually on pretty good terms with Burke.

DirtyDion03 04-26-2012 01:18 PM

Ashton's offensive upside is so much higher then Downie's. Don't have room for Downie right now either. Where would he have played?

veedubn1 04-26-2012 01:19 PM

we definitely don't need Downie who supposedly wants 3M+ per season when we have a guy like Brad Ross in our system.

smoke meat pete* 04-26-2012 01:19 PM

Downie was traded Feb 21st, 6 days before Aulie for Ashton happened. I know not all trades are talked about the day they are done, but this seems a bit out there.

Maybe Burke offered Aulie for Downie and TB went with the other offer, but kept Aulie in the back of their mind.

Tak7 04-26-2012 01:20 PM

To begin with, the trade didn't make much sense to me.

I've got nothing against Ashton.

I just don't understand why we would have traded Aulie, then, for another prospect, full well knowing that we would be heavily invested in the trade market this off-season.

For example - could we not use Aulie in any prospective deal for Luongo? He's a marketable asset; a young shut down Dman, with plenty of upside. We should have kept him, and used him NOW in order to improve the gaping holes in our lineup.

I'm sorry, but a 24 year old winger is not one of the biggest gaping holes in our lineup

John Stamos 04-26-2012 01:23 PM

I would love to have a downie type of player in the lineup. He brings quality pretty much nobody wearing the maple leaf last season had. I agree completely with the Tucker comparison someone already mentioned. Wasn't huge, but put his body on the line and made everyone around him play bigger. One of those hate to play against him and loved to have him on your team guys

dannyboy8920 04-26-2012 01:24 PM

Downie would look good on grabos wing.
Mac on the 3rd line with 2 of Kadri, Colborne, Frattin would have been decent.

No knock on Ashton. I like Aulie, but it was the right move to get a similar value prospect up front; when we were so bloated on the backend.

Baba Ganoush 04-26-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre (Post 48859447)
No thanks. I have higher hopes for Ashton then a Steve Downie type.

that makes one of us.

who knows if this is true or not...but if it is, Burke is a tool.

DirtyDion03 04-26-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak7 (Post 48859713)

I just don't understand why we would have traded Aulie, then, for another prospect, full well knowing that we would be heavily invested in the trade market this off-season.

For example - could we not use Aulie in any prospective deal for Luongo? He's a marketable asset; a young shut down Dman, with plenty of upside. We should have kept him, and used him NOW in order to improve the gaping holes in our lineup.

I'm sorry, but a 24 year old winger is not one of the biggest gaping holes in our lineup

What Burke did by acquiring Ashton for Aulie was take the strength from the backend, and turned into a forward. We needed size up front, Downie doesn't bring size, he just brings grit. Ashton brings grit, size, and some offensive skill.

The Podium 04-26-2012 01:25 PM

Wasn't Downie the "rat" Burke was referring to in his Colton Orr Presser?

ULF_55 04-26-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak7 (Post 48859713)

Does Ashton have a NTC?