HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WC: Best WC in a while? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1179899)

Fallenity 04-28-2012 06:44 PM

Best WC in a while?
 
I've been going through the different preliminary rosters teams are throwing together and can't help to feel that all the teams seem to be better this year than in a while. Especially Canada and Sweden have managed to whistle up a lot of good talent, with maybe the goalie position being the weakest link in both.

Only team I think hasn't improved much from the past couple of years is Czech, but who knows what you can do with homegrown talent. Finland won the tourney last year with it.

Is this because a lot of the "better" NHL teams fell during the first round then normally? For example Zetterberg is a rare treat to the Swedish team, with Detroit going deep usually.

Or are players starting to think already about the next Olympics?

Drake1588 04-28-2012 06:57 PM

It may well have something to do with the Olympics, yes. It's an open secret that willingness to go to these tournaments plays a role in the Olympic team selection process for countries in which the decisions are difficult. That Canadian roster is great all up and down the line. per the latest from eliteprospects:

Devan Dubnyk (G)
Matthew Hackett (G)
Cam Ward (G)

Duncan Keith (D)
Jay Bouwmeester (D)
Marc-…douard Vlasic (D)
Dion Phaneuf (D)
Luke Schenn (D)
P.K. Subban (D)
Ryan Murray (D)
Marc Methot (D)

Ryan Getzlaf (C)
Jamie Benn (C/LW)
John Tavares (C)
Patrick Sharp (C/W)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (C)
Ryan O'Reilly (C)
Corey Perry (RW)
Jordan Eberle (RW)
Teddy Purcell (RW)
Adam Mitchell (RW)
Alexandre Burrows (LW/RW)
Evander Kane (LW)
Andrew Ladd (LW)
Jeff Skinner (LW/RW)

That's a great team right there.

Rob 04-28-2012 08:34 PM

Stamkos, Crosby and Toews all said no. If they said yes then I would agree.

Oyabun 04-28-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 48991395)
Stamkos, Crosby and Toews all said no. If they said yes then I would agree.

Right, while Canada looks to be stacked and your C-team would beat most teams (Canadians words not mine) those 3 individuals makes all the difference. Excuses are coming earlier than usual this year.

Rob 04-28-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oyabun (Post 48991679)
Right, while Canada looks to be stacked and your C-team would beat most teams (Canadians words not mine) those 3 individuals makes all the difference. Excuses are coming earlier than usual this year.

I was replying to the OP.

Oyabun 04-28-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 48993731)
I was replying to the OP.

I was just pointing out the stupidity of you looking at the flaw of not having your absolute star players that didn't make it perfect rather than concentrating on a stacked team.
Many Canadian players answered the call.

Jerkini 04-28-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oyabun (Post 48991679)
Right, while Canada looks to be stacked and your C-team would beat most teams (Canadians words not mine) those 3 individuals makes all the difference. Excuses are coming earlier than usual this year.

In all fairness, i see some questionable forwards on the Canadian roster. In fact, i'd put any chance of this team going places on Cam Ward's shoulders.

LatvianTwist 04-29-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588 (Post 48987229)
It may well have something to do with the Olympics, yes. It's an open secret that willingness to go to these tournaments plays a role in the Olympic team selection process for countries in which the decisions are difficult. That Canadian roster is great all up and down the line. per the latest from eliteprospects:

Devan Dubnyk (G)
Matthew Hackett (G)
Cam Ward (G)

Duncan Keith (D)
Jay Bouwmeester (D)
Marc-…douard Vlasic (D)
Dion Phaneuf (D)
Luke Schenn (D)
P.K. Subban (D)
Ryan Murray (D)
Marc Methot (D)

Ryan Getzlaf (C)
Jamie Benn (C/LW)
John Tavares (C)
Patrick Sharp (C/W)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (C)
Ryan O'Reilly (C)
Corey Perry (RW)
Jordan Eberle (RW)
Teddy Purcell (RW)
Adam Mitchell (RW)
Alexandre Burrows (LW/RW)
Evander Kane (LW)
Andrew Ladd (LW)
Jeff Skinner (LW/RW)

That's a great team right there.

Who is Adam Mitchell...?

Edit - Seriously? The best option they could find was some random winger in Germany...?

zorz 04-29-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatvianTwist (Post 49001805)
Who is Adam Mitchell...?

Edit - Seriously? The best option they could find was some random winger in Germany...?

I think Hockey Canada likes to give a spot to some guy playing in Europe. At least they did the same thing last year.

Bure 04-29-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 49003017)
I think Hockey Canada likes to give a spot to some guy playing in Europe. At least they did the same thing last year.

Actually pretty cool IMO

Lapa 04-29-2012 03:30 AM

Is it just me, or does team USA's roster this year seem much better than before?

zorz 04-29-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bure (Post 49003201)
Actually pretty cool IMO

yeah, in a way, it feels classy

FinRuutu 04-29-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 49003901)
yeah, in a way, it feels classy

They should have given a chance to Jon "Mr. Nasty" Mirasty, Kip Brennan and/or Jeremy Yablonski. Would have made things little bit more interesting. :laugh:

Nordic* 04-29-2012 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 49003901)
classy


Quote:

Team Canada


Hell just froze over.


;)

mattihp 04-29-2012 03:57 AM

Calling Adam Mitchell random was weird. He could end up being very useful. Works harder than half the guys on the team and is an excellent passer.

zorz 04-29-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic (Post 49003971)
Hell just froze over.


;)

:handclap: but team canada =/= hockey canada

Baba Booey 04-29-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinRuutu (Post 49003945)
They should have given a chance to Jon "Mr. Nasty" Mirasty, Kip Brennan and/or Jeremy Yablonski. Would have made things little bit more interesting. :laugh:

You mean those MMA fighters that can skate?

Juzmo 04-29-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lapa (Post 49003787)
Is it just me, or does team USA's roster this year seem much better than before?

Looking at the roster of the past 4 tournaments I'd say it's not just you. :laugh:

2011: http://www.scribd.com/doc/53985748/T...onships-roster
2007-10: http://www.usahockey.com/Past_Tournaments.aspx

Mara 04-29-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lapa (Post 49003787)
Is it just me, or does team USA's roster this year seem much better than before?

This is what I wrote in January:

Quote:

Canada will have a chance to win even if they field a Z team, I'm more interested in the squad the US sends this year, seemed like last year they finally realized that their hockey isn't quite up there to compete with the best of Europe so hopefully they'll send a decent team this year.
And it seems I was right, after the pretty damn bad teams they've sent in the recent past it's looking good.

QnebO 04-29-2012 06:37 AM

This really is worth of watching (other than your own country games too). Teams are having pretty solid squads with players that are for sure exciting to watch.

Team Finland is trying to break the home-curse by not getting the dream team to the hometournament... Usually hometeam has stacked (up to its potentional) team and it fails to win... So why not try the new way. Last year we breaked the silver curse, why not break all the curses just for fun! :)

tony d 04-29-2012 06:58 AM

Really looking forward to this tournament again this year. Think Canada will win one of the medals, hope it's the Gold.

FinRuutu 04-29-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba Booey (Post 49004687)
You mean those MMA fighters that can skate?

Exactly! :)

JackSlater 04-29-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oyabun (Post 48991679)
Right, while Canada looks to be stacked and your C-team would beat most teams (Canadians words not mine) those 3 individuals makes all the difference. Excuses are coming earlier than usual this year.

Canadian words, and yet people from outside of Canada bring it up several times more often than Canadians do. Very interesting.

Anyway, the rosters look better this year than they have been in a while. Especially the Americans, as others have said. Finland seems like a very good host too. I'm actually watching a bit of the 2003 final on ESPN classic as I type this, and the crowd in Finland is very good (mostly Swedish fans). Should be a good watch again this year.

MaNNe 04-29-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QnebO (Post 49004929)
This really is worth of watching (other than your own country games too). Teams are having pretty solid squads with players that are for sure exciting to watch.

Team Finland is trying to break the home-curse by not getting the dream team to the hometournament... Usually hometeam has stacked (up to its potentional) team and it fails to win... So why not try the new way. Last year we breaked the silver curse, why not break all the curses just for fun! :)

OT
What dream team? Team Finland has all the best players available in it that haven't quit the NT, except for Bergenheim who is injured and Pitkšnen. Fact to the matter is Finland is void of any talent in the ageg roups 85-90 and this is starting to show more and more every year, especially now that the old guard has quit the NT.

/OT


Seems to me this will be one of the stronger WC:s in a while. Even USA seems to have some talent this year. Team Sweden is looking especially scary this year I predict they'll be going a long way only weakness is in goal for them atm. Russia is strong as usual. Canada also seems to have a deadly team this year. It's shaping up to be a pretty good WC imo. Too bad Finnish hockey federation is doing their very best to ruin for everyone even remotely interested in it..

espo* 04-29-2012 09:49 AM

Sucks to lose to them so often doesn't it?;)

Ah, Team Sweden................Canada's whipping boys.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic (Post 49003971)
Hell just froze over.


;)



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.