HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Brian Leetch (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1180179)

Zuccarello Awesome* 04-29-2012 01:48 AM

Brian Leetch

Mods, feel free to move this if you feel it belongs in another thread.

Just wanted to comment and hear some thoughts on Leetch as a broadcaster.

I think he's done a great job this year as an analyst. He was spot-on with what he said in the post-game show today about Fedotenko and the teams identity and consistency all year long. Leetch has come a long way from when he first started and seemed too shy and unsure of himself. He seems much more comfortable with the analyst role and has a very insightful and interesting view on the current state of the league.

Anyone else think he's being groomed to be a color guy in the future? I'm not a huge fan of ex-players commentating for the same team they played for, but JD proves that there can be exceptions to the rule.

I, personally, would love to see Howie Rose and Leetch as a broadcast pair for Rangers games.

Or Kenny Albert and Leetch.

This would be of course whenever Sam decides to retire.

Kane One 04-29-2012 01:51 AM

And what should we do with Micheletti? In my opinion, Micheletti is more knowledgeable than Leetch, and he does a fine job.

wolfgaze 04-29-2012 01:53 AM

Leetch is to dry to be a full time broadcaster for the Rangers. But I will say that his appearances on camera have gotten a heck of a lot better than when he first started out.

Net Front Presence 04-29-2012 04:38 AM

He doesn't have the right voice for doing in-game stuff.

And you're forgetting Micheletti, who should be around for a long time for us. He's my favorite commentator league wide.

eco's bones 04-29-2012 06:03 AM

Micheletti is not more knowledgeable about the game. What Joe has as an advantage is more personality in front of a camera. He's not naturally shy in any respect--so more depth and at least some occasional humor filter into his analysis. Brian has gotten better but all that stuff he would have to work on and personally I have the idea that Brian would not at all be interested in Joe's game-in game-out commentator job. Maybe I'm wrong but 20-25 games of occasional analysis per year keeps him connected to the team.

GAGLine 04-29-2012 06:37 AM

Leetch is doing fine where he is IMO. Maybe at some point he gets into coaching.

Giacomin 04-29-2012 07:38 AM

Leetch is very involved in his kids sports teams and only does the studio job on the weekends. I read somewhere that he enjoys weekend part time and would not be interested in doing it full time.

Clowes Line 04-29-2012 07:44 AM

Kenny Albert and Michelletti. Leetch has done a great job, but his voice isn't right for broadcasting. Keep him for analysis in between periods. He's done a great job there and will continue to do so.

SupersonicMonkey* 04-29-2012 08:11 AM

Leetch is ALWAYS "spot on". His mind for the sport is still just as elite as it was when he was playing.

One of the most intelligent players to ever play the game.

GWOW 04-29-2012 09:46 AM

Something tells me when Messier takes over the organization, Leetch will be a part of it in some capacity, and I'm not talking broadcasting.

It's been 26 years since I first saw him play and I still havent seen any defenseman come close to Leetch's skill.

Not one.

Crease 04-29-2012 09:49 AM

I'd rather him strap them as a bottom pair defenseman for the rest of the playoffs. With the old CCM bucket.

Jxmarts 04-29-2012 10:12 AM

I do think Leetch gets a little too much love here. Most of that love is warranted as he's indeed one of, if not the greatest Rangers ever. But I just think he was inconsistent as a player & fell short as a captain during the 7 year playoff drought after Messier left. Most of us forget that.

That said, I listened to Leetch & Kenny Albert do a game this winter, and Leetchie was fabulous. Yes, his voice is reminiscent of fellow Connecticut raised Bobby Valentine, but his performance as the analyst for that one game was as good as any I've ever heard. Micheletti & Maloney are very, very good (although Maloney's voice can be irritating), so I'm not sure where Leetch would fit. But there's no doubt in my mind, he'd do a great job as a Ranger analyst if he ever decided to do it full time.

GWOW 04-29-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jxmarts (Post 49008393)
I do think Leetch gets a little too much love here. Most of that love is warranted as he's indeed one of, if not the greatest Rangers ever. But I just think he was inconsistent as a player & fell short as a captain during the 7 year playoff drought after Messier left. Most of us forget that.

That said, I listened to Leetch & Kenny Albert do a game this winter, and Leetchie was fabulous. Yes, his voice is reminiscent of fellow Connecticut raised Bobby Valentine, but his performance as the analyst for that one game was as good as any I've ever heard. Micheletti & Maloney are very, very good (although Maloney's voice can be irritating), so I'm not sure where Leetch would fit. But there's no doubt in my mind, he'd do a great job as a Ranger analyst if he ever decided to do it full time.

Surprising that Leetch was the Leafs best player after he was traded to them.

Leetch was fine. He proved that in 2001 when he lead all d-men in scoring.

It wasnt his fault the team built around him, Graves and Richter was pathetic.

Bird Law 04-29-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 49003427)
And what should we do with Micheletti? In my opinion, Micheletti is more knowledgeable than Leetch, and he does a fine job.

JoeMich will eventually move over to NBC full time, IMHO.

MSGFaithful 04-29-2012 06:31 PM

Any chance JD steps down from St. Louis and comes back to us? :(

SupersonicMonkey* 04-29-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jxmarts (Post 49008393)

He isn't just one of the greatest Rangers of all time, he was one of the greatest defensemen of all-time period.

Because he didn't want or didn't fit the captain role doesn't taint that.

BroadwayHustle 04-29-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSGFaithful (Post 49032365)
Any chance JD steps down from St. Louis and comes back to us? :(

Yes please. Sam and JD were amazing :handclap: