HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   New York AHL Team? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1180361)

MrCleveland 04-29-2012 01:16 PM

New York AHL Team?

I have a question...

If the AHL had a Hockey Team in the New York Metropolitan Region...where would they play?

Sports Enthusiast 04-29-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCleveland (Post 49013719)
I have a question...

If the AHL had a Hockey Team in the New York Metropolitan Region...where would they play?

Barclay's Center.

No Fun Shogun 04-29-2012 02:07 PM

Even though it's not in New York (still in NYC metro area, though) I suppose the Izod Center (former home of the Devils and Nets) could work. Plus, wouldn't be much of a stretch to imagine that their operators would love to see another permanent sports team there, as if memory serves all they've got now is Fordham's basketball team. Would not be at all surprised to see them try to land a hockey (AHL or ECHL) and/or arena football team to try to fill the void.

Shrimper 04-29-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 49015613)
Even though it's not in New York (still in NYC metro area, though) I suppose the Izod Center (former home of the Devils and Nets) could work. Plus, wouldn't be much of a stretch to imagine that their operators would love to see another permanent sports team there, as if memory serves all they've got now is Fordham's basketball team. Would not be at all surprised to see them try to land a hockey (AHL or ECHL) and/or arena football team to try to fill the void.

Could probably move the Albany Devils there if they really wanted, keep them closer to New Jersey. Don't think that would happen though as they probably wouldn't want to leave.

Rumblick 04-30-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 49033441)
Could probably move the Albany Devils there if they really wanted, keep them closer to New Jersey. Don't think that would happen though as they probably wouldn't want to leave.

New Jersey owns the franchise - if they could get a better deal out of Izod than they have in Albany, they'd go.

Frostbite Warrior 05-01-2012 11:31 AM

I know what you are talking about. The new team would play at the Glens Falls Civic Center and is that your questions that you were trying to say!

pelts35.com 05-01-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostbite Warrior (Post 49108965)
I know what you are talking about. The new team would play at the Glens Falls Civic Center and is that your questions that you were trying to say!

Since when is Glens Falls in the New York Metropolitan region?

Rocko604 05-01-2012 04:40 PM

Don't they already have one playing on Long Island? :sarcasm: Sorry, couldn't help it.

Izod would probably be the best bet, but I wonder whether an AHL team would be a draw at all in that area.

adsfan 05-01-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 49109977)
Since when is Glens Falls in the New York Metropolitan region?

Hey, it is only 200 miles acording to Google! That means that Philly is in but Boston is out of the NYC metromess.

Tommy Hawk 05-01-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adsfan (Post 49124275)
Hey, it is only 200 miles according to Google! That means that Philly is in but Boston is out of the NYC metromess.

FBW thinks that NYC is in the Glens Falls metropolitan area....

adsfan 05-02-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk (Post 49143183)
FBW thinks that NYC is in the Glens Falls metropolitan area....

Maybe he is from Frostbite Falls, Minnesota?

I am from Milwaukee and have visited NYC, Utica, Bingo and Albany, but never Glens Falls. Maybe this summer, I may go to Lake George.

CHRDANHUTCH 05-02-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 49015613)

Izod won't be considered even if it still exists, and w/ METLIFE Stadium now in essence the main venue in East Rutherford, why would the Nets have settled for Newark until the Brooklyn arena was completed, NFS, they've said as early as 2009, to end the I-Center bc it competes w/ the Prudential Center, and two arenas that close doesn't help either, esp.if PRUDENTIAL Center is the newer venue, that's why the Devils left for Newark after '07-08, Izod is getting to the same level as the Islanders are dealing with Nassau County in regards to their outdated facility, sometimes it's better to upgrade the arena, and didn't the Devils have issues w/ the NJSEA, which is another reason why the Devils bolted to Newark. all it is is 1/2 of Fordham's and if that university upgrades its arena, then there's no need for Izod, just as Seton Hall is also @ Prudential.

hb11xchamps 05-07-2012 05:23 PM

What about the new arena in Brooklyn now home of the Brooklyn Nets?

CHRDANHUTCH 05-07-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hb11xchamps (Post 49398453)

Barclays Center will also be off limits if the Islanders land there as it's being proposed, right now it's not designed to accomodate hockey....

No Fun Shogun 05-07-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH (Post 49177031)
Izod won't be considered even if it still exists, and w/ METLIFE Stadium now in essence the main venue in East Rutherford, why would the Nets have settled for Newark until the Brooklyn arena was completed, NFS, they've said as early as 2009, to end the I-Center bc it competes w/ the Prudential Center, and two arenas that close doesn't help either, esp.if PRUDENTIAL Center is the newer venue, that's why the Devils left for Newark after '07-08, Izod is getting to the same level as the Islanders are dealing with Nassau County in regards to their outdated facility, sometimes it's better to upgrade the arena, and didn't the Devils have issues w/ the NJSEA, which is another reason why the Devils bolted to Newark. all it is is 1/2 of Fordham's and if that university upgrades its arena, then there's no need for Izod, just as Seton Hall is also @ Prudential.

I was just listing it as a potential site for a team, and it's a moot point anyway as I don't think that the AHL will be moving into the NYC market anyway. And, even if they did, I'm sure a location actually in NYC would be more attractive of an option then a place in Jersey anyway.

pelts35.com 05-08-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hb11xchamps (Post 49398453)

Given that it's being built for basketball, are they even installing the equipment necessary to make ice?

210 05-08-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 49431147)
Given that it's being built for basketball, are they even installing the equipment necessary to make ice?

They apparently are...14k is the number I heard as the potential hockey seating.

pelts35.com 05-08-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 210 (Post 49432305)
They apparently are...14k is the number I heard as the potential hockey seating.

Perhaps for Disney on Ice shows and maybe some preseason NHL or AHL games?

Rumblick 05-08-2012 10:13 AM

Barclay's Center might be a decent AHL option if they can make the numbers work. It's already set up for hockey (though as 210 pointed out, it's not up to NHL numbers), and they could work around some of the seating issues as long as they're not looking to sell the place out.

I could see the Rangers putting their affiliate in there.

pelts35.com 05-08-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblick (Post 49435043)
Barclay's Center might be a decent AHL option if they can make the numbers work. It's already set up for hockey (though as 210 pointed out, it's not up to NHL numbers), and they could work around some of the seating issues as long as they're not looking to sell the place out.

That's probably the only way an AHL team would do well there.

pavelich 05-08-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 49431147)

Yes. Isles and Devils playing an exhibition there Oct. 2

http://www.barclayscenter.com/events...der-vs-devils/

hb11xchamps 05-09-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblick (Post 49435043)

Sooo The Brookyln Whale. That just doesn't sound right :laugh:

Shrimper 05-09-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hb11xchamps (Post 49486435)

They'll probably call them the Brooklyn Rangers if anything.

Thing is, would moving the Whale from Connecticut be a good thing? With Hartford gone that's the only thing they have left hockey-wise. They have the Bridgeport Sound Tigers but I don't think they're as much of a pull.

Rumblick 05-09-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hb11xchamps (Post 49486435)

The Whale is Balwin's creation, and he can have it. Losing that silly name would be the best part of getting the Rangers out of there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 49486637)
Thing is, would moving the Whale from Connecticut be a good thing? With Hartford gone that's the only thing they have left hockey-wise. They have the Bridgeport Sound Tigers but I don't think they're as much of a pull.

Maybe not good for Connecticut (though I really don't think the AHL would be missed by many), but it wouldn't hurt the Rangers at all.

Shrimper 05-09-2012 06:12 PM

Wouldn't it be virtually impossible to manage to get an AHL team, NHL team and NBA team in one stadium?

I mean, it's sometimes hard enough with just two teams but if all three got to the play-offs....