HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Socks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1180469)

JaeTM 04-29-2012 04:17 PM

Socks

I'm looking to get a pair of socks when playing because my ankles are getting blisters. I've been playing ice and roller all my life and my newest pair of skates, like I said, are giving me blisters on the insides of my ankles. I don't play as much as I used to, but my skates are broken in and they are a size smaller then my shoe size, so I know they fit. So I'm hoping that buying a pair of thinner socks will help me, but I don't know what to get because I've always just used regular socks as I never really got blisters.

I was looking here:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/skatesocks.html

I'm not looking to spend $35-40 on socks lol, more like 10-15. If any of you have any experience with any of these or know of a different site that I can order off of for somewhat cheap, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Also, I've never done or needed to mold my foot to the boot but I hear that works well. Should I try this and if so, how would I go about it?

Dustin Peener 04-29-2012 04:50 PM

Skates socks aren't worth the extra price IMO, I have always worn regular socks underneath soccer/football socks and never had any problems ever

hubby1746 04-29-2012 05:09 PM

dress socks

Axman 04-29-2012 05:24 PM

I loved my Easton Synergy skate socks until I wore huge holes in them. Baking your skates may help.
Bunga pads turned so the pad is on the blisted area under your skates may be a good idea too. They've helped protect me from pain after bad lace bite.

vapor11 04-29-2012 05:44 PM

The only socks that go in my skates are my UA hockey socks..don't want to mess up my groove

bp spec 04-29-2012 06:00 PM

Use hockey socks, but thin soccer or every day socks works too.

AIREAYE 04-29-2012 06:25 PM

Ankles getting blisters? Sounds like there is something else going on besides a sock issue. However, definitely go by what others have suggested here. Any type of thinner athletic sock (NOT ankle cut however) or dress sock are options.

Try socks first and if that doesn't solve the issue, take a good look at where and the severity of the issue; it might actually be a fit problem. If your skates are already broken in then a bake will not do much if anything.

MattB43 04-29-2012 10:16 PM

I have the Bauer Vapor socks, and I really like them over regular athletic socks. I've never tried any of the other ones though, those are the only ones my local shop stocks.

lilphill23 04-29-2012 10:48 PM

I like the elite hockey bamboo socks almost like a compression short for your feet

nullterm 04-29-2012 11:11 PM

I've used a pair of $12 hiking socks for the last 3/4 years and never had a blister or similar foot issue. In fact, I've used the same pair for 90% of my games (3 years, 2x week, winter & summer) and they still are in great shape.

http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/produc...ctedstyle=2450

Warm, keeps feet dry, and keeps them more comfortable with a bit more thickness to them than normal socks.

r3cc0s 04-29-2012 11:19 PM

I'm just not sure that any high tech sock will create any performance benefit, other than to help with possibly moisture control

a number of people who I know are good skaters, still will skate barefeet...

if there are hot spots with the skate, the issue is with the fit of the skate, not the fabric your socks are made of

lilphill23 04-29-2012 11:22 PM

I like the elite hockey bamboo socks almost like a compression short for your feet

shoeshine boy 04-30-2012 07:54 AM

I skate in Nike dri-fit soccer socks bought at the sporting goods store for $15 for a 2-pack. they're not too thin, not too thick and keep my feet pretty dry. they're also durable as hell. been skating in them 4 years and haven't had hole develop yet.

dpixel8 04-30-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kessel (Post 49030367)
The only socks that go in my skates are my UA hockey socks..don't want to mess up my groove

These. I have them too. Not that expensive, they last quite a while, are extremely comfortable and thin like dress socks that I used to wear (which wore out FAST)

ChiTownHawks 04-30-2012 09:08 AM

I use the Bauer Vapor socks too. I would recommend them anyone. They are about $18 US, but they stopped me from getting blisters on the instep of my foot. I've had the same 2 pairs for about 2 years now and they don't show any real signs of breakdown.

Jarick 04-30-2012 09:29 AM

The Easton socks are very good and should only be $15. You'll get 1-2 seasons out of them depending on how much you play. Get 1-2 pairs and you are set.

I have used thin dress socks in the past but prefer the Eastons.

mhkehoe 04-30-2012 09:59 AM

I use these Eastons. I have been rotating between two pairs for two years now.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=ESYSSL

Stickmata 04-30-2012 12:57 PM

I've used everything from dress socks, to volleyball socks, to both types of Eastons and nothing has come close to the Bauer Vapors. Really comfortable, no gaps and they don't compress when they get wet like a typical everyday athletic sock. I'll never go back to anything else unless they stop making these. To me they're the perfect thickness with just the right amount of cushion.

izzy3 04-30-2012 01:48 PM

I use the UA crew socks which are in your pricerange, but I believe you'll have to experiment a little, cause it's all preference. I also don't think that the socks will solve the blister problem, you'll need to heatmold the skates to fit you better.

ChiTownHawks 04-30-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 49060081)
I've used everything from dress socks, to volleyball socks, to both types of Eastons and nothing has come close to the Bauer Vapors. Really comfortable, no gaps and they don't compress when they get wet like a typical everyday athletic sock. I'll never go back to anything else unless they stop making these. To me they're the perfect thickness with just the right amount of cushion.

Agreed 100%. Although they can be hell to get on.

callitkarma 04-30-2012 02:54 PM

I've been wearing very thin socks made to wear with skates and haven't had any issues until now: I just got a new pair of bauer vapor x 6.0's and my feet have been getting super cold/numb on the ice and it's really annoying. I don't know why, I'm pretty sure I'm not tying my skates too tight or anything...anyone have a suggestion?

Axman 04-30-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks (Post 49063087)

:laugh:
Funny you mention that. I seem to break a sweat every time I put them on. Very snug and tight fitting.

hockeymass 04-30-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 49060081)

Quote:

This. The Vapor socks are extremely comfortable but they are surprisingly difficult to put on.

HockeyPusher 04-30-2012 03:30 PM

Skated barefoot for years, then bought a new pair of skates last year and got them baked, and started wearing socks. I have a couple pairs of Eastons and a couple pairs of Under-Armour. Like the Eastons a little better, but they are both pretty comfortable, and not very pricey.

Stickmata 04-30-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Yup, I found you gotta roll em down, slide the end on and then roll them out. Go on easy that way. Otherwise it's a bear.