HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Compare Our Prospects to NHL Players (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=118102)

easton122 12-12-2004 01:53 AM

Compare Our Prospects to NHL Players

These aren't real good but it was hard to come up with accurate comparisons. Im sure there are much better comparisons so i'd actually like to see them.

Jeff Carter

Upside: Mats Sundin

Realistic: Patrick Marleau

Downside: Radek Bonk

Mike Richards

Upside: Steve Yzerman

Realistic: John Madden

Downside: Claude Lapointe

Antero Niittymaki

Upside: Evgeni Nabokov

Realistic: Vesa Toskala

Downside: Neil Little

Dennis Seidenberg

Upside: Kim Johnsson

Realistic: Nathan Dempsey

Downside: Stephane Robidas

Stefan Ruzicka

Upside: Ladislav Nagy

Realistic: Vladimir Orszagh

Downside: Mark Rycroft

Patrick Sharp

Upside: Daymond Langkow

Realistic: Alyn McCauley

Downside: Claude Lapointe

Wally112pac 12-12-2004 10:37 AM

I think all your upsides are severely stretching it.

Your realistics look good though. :handclap:

RJ8812 12-12-2004 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122
These aren't real good but it was hard to come up with accurate comparisons. Im sure there are much better comparisons so i'd actually like to see them.

Jeff Carter

Upside: Mats Sundin

so he can be highly over rated?

flip588 12-12-2004 11:40 AM

I often hear Ruzicka compared to Milan Hejduk, for his finish.

FlyHigh 12-12-2004 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip588
I often hear Ruzicka compared to Milan Hejduk, for his finish.

I think we might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. Hejduk is a 50 goal scorer in the NHL, has Ruzicka netted 50 even in the OHL? It's nice to compare guys to Steve Y. and Sundin, but these are HOF players and it's unfair to compare our prospects to those guys so soon. I like the realistic ones a bit more.

flip588 12-12-2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I think we might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. Hejduk is a 50 goal scorer in the NHL, has Ruzicka netted 50 even in the OHL? It's nice to compare guys to Steve Y. and Sundin, but these are HOF players and it's unfair to compare our prospects to those guys so soon. I like the realistic ones a bit more.

It's not necessarily an opinion I share, just one I hear often. It would be an extreme upside, that's for sure.

easton122 12-12-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
so he can be highly over rated?

I think Mats Sundin is an amazing players and without a doubt one of the top in the NHL. There is not one part of his game that I don't like and would of loved to seem him in a Flyers uniform. Now he's too tainted from being a Leaf for too long.

easton122 12-12-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally112pac
I think all your upsides are severely stretching it.

Upsides are the best possible outcome. I believe Jeff Carter and Mike Richards both have the potential to be like Sundin and Yzerman. Both of their games are similar but I doubt either reach that level since it is their upside.

FlyersGuy69 12-12-2004 03:02 PM

Quote:

Upsides are the best possible outcome. I believe Jeff Carter and Mike Richards both have the potential to be like Sundin and Yzerman. Both of their games are similar but I doubt either reach that level since it is their upside.

I can see the upside comparison of Carter, Sundin but I don't see the Richards, Yzerman. I have heard Richards compared to Doug Gilmour as far as possible upside. but we'll see.

Thundermare 12-12-2004 04:01 PM

Like the realistic part ... just for fun who would you compare Rejean Beauchemin to...the guy is schedule to be at team Canada camp

Pitkanen44 12-12-2004 04:20 PM

Doesn't "upside" refer to the guy improving considerably and being better than expected? Why are you getting on Easton's case for making these lofty comparisons? Nobody is saying Carter = Sundin. The point of upside is to "stretch it".

Wally112pac 12-12-2004 04:40 PM

Quote:

Mike Richards does't have Steve Yzerman potential.

Eric Staal hardly does.

RJ8812 12-12-2004 05:09 PM

Quote:

I think Mats Sundin is an amazing players and without a doubt one of the top in the NHL. There is not one part of his game that I don't like and would of loved to seem him in a Flyers uniform. Now he's too tainted from being a Leaf for too long.

what mats sundin are yo utalkign about? the guy doesnt back-check, with his size, he never hits, always wines, if you ask me, he's fit to be a leaf for the rest of his career

Wally112pac 12-12-2004 05:59 PM

Quote:

what mats sundin are yo utalkign about? the guy doesnt back-check, with his size, he never hits, always wines, if you ask me, he's fit to be a leaf for the rest of his career

What Mats Sundin are you talking about?

easton122 12-12-2004 06:59 PM

Quote:

Im talking about one of the most dominant players in the game today :shakehead

easton122 12-12-2004 07:01 PM

Quote:

Mike Richards does't have Steve Yzerman potential.

Eric Staal hardly does.

That's cause Staal has Sakic potential :p:

*If* Mike Richards finds an elite offensive game in the NHL he will be similar to Steve Yzerman. He showed great offensive skills in juniors but many project he won't be able to do the same in the NHL due to his size.

Wally112pac 12-12-2004 07:16 PM

Quote:

That's cause Staal has Sakic potential :p:

*If* Mike Richards finds an elite offensive game in the NHL he will be similar to Steve Yzerman. He showed great offensive skills in juniors but many project he won't be able to do the same in the NHL due to his size.

Sakic, Francis and Yzerman. All cut from the same mold.

Thats a HUGE "if"

Juicer 12-12-2004 07:21 PM

Quote:

His defensive play is not very good by any stretch of the imagination, and for a guy his size, he is not physical at all.

Juicer 12-12-2004 07:25 PM

I have heard Carter compared to Thornton, Sundin and Modano. I don't thikn he has the mean streak to be Thornton. I would rather have his ending up like Modano than Sundin, but if he turned out to be anyone of the three, it would be great news for Philly.

easton122 12-12-2004 07:55 PM

Quote:

Sakic, Francis and Yzerman. All cut from the same mold.

Thats a HUGE "if"

You act like Steve Yzerman dominated the OHL. In his draft year in 56 games he scored 42 goals and got 49 assists for 91 points.

In Mike Richards draft year in 67 games he scored 37 goals and got 50 assists for 87 points.

Im pretty sure the OHL is more defensive today than it was in 1983 so their accomplishments are very similar IMO.

Now looking at Yzerman's NHL career Richards will never meet that offensively. Actually the direction the NHL is going in no player may ever have better offensive numbers unless they try and bring more offense to the league. What I am saying is Mike Richards's upside is being the same type of player Yzerman was but to his own era.

FlyHigh 12-12-2004 08:19 PM

Quote:

You act like Steve Yzerman dominated the OHL. In his draft year in 56 games he scored 42 goals and got 49 assists for 91 points.

In Mike Richards draft year in 67 games he scored 37 goals and got 50 assists for 87 points.

Im pretty sure the OHL is more defensive today than it was in 1983 so their accomplishments are very similar IMO.

Alexandre Daigle scored 137 points in the Q once in only 53 games. comparing jr. league stats doesn't mean anything.

Wally112pac 12-12-2004 08:34 PM

Quote:

Steve Yzerman was 4th overall in 83. He was a projected superstar from the start.

Richards was 24th overall in 03. Hardly a projected superstar.

I don't see Richards upside as an Yzerman. Staal's upside is a Francis/Yzerman type and he went 2nd in the same draft as Richards.

budscweizer16 12-12-2004 08:40 PM

cool thread, an enjoyable read knowing who are future players may become.

Roger's Pancreas* 12-12-2004 09:14 PM

Quote:

Steve Yzerman was 4th overall in 83. He was a projected superstar from the start.

I don't see Richards upside as an Yzerman. Staal's upside is a Francis/Yzerman type and he went 2nd in the same draft as Richards.

Are you kidding me??? Kim Johnsson was picked in the 11th round, and Vladimir wasn't picked until the 10th. It's an indicator, and I think if Richards were to max out his potential he could be Yzerman potential. He has excellent offensive talent, excellent character and has proven his leadership skills; you put him on a second line right behind Carter and he could excell.

easton122 12-12-2004 09:29 PM

Quote:

From the start so what was different between Yzerman and Richards in juniors? Same kind of goal scorer and playmaker from what the stats show. Only think I can think of is Yzerman is faster but Richards is more physical and better defensively which is more important in today's game. If it would make you happy his upside is a poor man's Yzerman :p:

Plus Richards stock has rose a ton since 03 so don't give me the 24th overall BS :shakehead