HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   World Cup of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WC: General Talk '12 — Canada (Part II) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1181241)

ColePens 04-30-2012 07:34 PM

General Talk '12 — Canada (Part II)
 
SF's post from last thread:


Roster: http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=1616

7 Adam Mitchell (camp invitee)
9 Evander Kane
10 Patrick Sharp
11 Corey Perry
14 Jordan Eberle
15 Ryan Getzlaf
16 Andrew Ladd
20 John Tavares
24 Jamie Benn
26 Teddy Purcell
37 Ryan O'Reilly
41 Alexandre Burrows
53 Jeff Skinner
93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

2 Duncan Keith
3 Dion Phaneuf
4 Jay Bouwmeester
5 Luke Schenn
27 Ryan Murray (camp invitee)
33 Marc Methot
44 Marc-Edouard Vlasic

30 Cam Ward
31 Matt Hackett
40 Devan Dubnyk


###


I know its early, but the dissapointment in Calgary already has me hoping for Canadian redemption on the international stage. There's a great deal of NHL hockey left to be played, but there are certainly some teams that look to be great candidates for roster donors.

Canada should be able to ice a strong, young team with a sprinkling of grit and veterans to help. I love the thought of the young oilers trio + Smyth. Stamkos and St. Louis from Tampa. Maybe even Getzlaf and Perry from Anaheim. Colombus is a safe bet to miss the post season again, which would free up Carter, Nash and Johansen. Tavares has been lights out on Long Island and Matt Duchene should be good and healthy by year end. If the Habs continue to struggle wouldn't Price be the perfect starter???

I absolutely love watching this tournament, especially when Canada gets commitment from big league talent. Would love to hear some thoughts.

Matt Ryan 04-30-2012 07:35 PM

maybe i missed this, but why isn't Carey Price in?

BoHorvat53 04-30-2012 07:36 PM

#WHC Canada practice lines: Burrows - Benn - Perry; Purcell - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle; Skinner - Tavares - Sharp; Kane - O'Reilly - Ladd

Read it as you will, Burrows could be on the top line.

ColePens 04-30-2012 07:38 PM

Skinner - Tavares - Sharp. I really want to see that line. :amazed:

LateNightOilerFan 04-30-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge (Post 49077023)
maybe i missed this, but why isn't Carey Price in?

Probably because he ended the regular season with a concussion.

Now my turn - any reasons ever given for why Matt Moulson was not named?

BoHorvat53 04-30-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan (Post 49077233)
Probably because he ended the regular season with a concussion.

Now my turn - any reasons ever given for why Matt Moulson was not named?

John Tavares.

Tavares is really good, but he gets too much credit in making Moulson/Parenteau the players they are.

OilerTyler 04-30-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luuuongo (Post 49077111)
#WHC Canada practice lines: Burrows - Benn - Perry; Purcell - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle; Skinner - Tavares - Sharp; Kane - O'Reilly - Ladd

Read it as you will, Burrows could be on the top line.

Benn at centre?

I have a feeling that Burrows will be bumped off that line when Getzlaf arrives and Benn will slide over to left wing.

Drij 04-30-2012 07:43 PM

Wait what happened in Calgary?

Matt Ryan 04-30-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan (Post 49077233)
Probably because he ended the regular season with a concussion.

Now my turn - any reasons ever given for why Matt Moulson was not named?

oh yeah, forgot about that.
Thanks

BoHorvat53 04-30-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerTyler (Post 49077387)
Benn at centre?

I have a feeling that Burrows will be bumped off that line when Getzlaf arrives and Benn will slide over to left wing.

I asked that question ~2 months ago to Dallas fans.

Benn has been playing C for half of last season + all of this season.

Edit: I still remember one reply. "Benn is playing C because Morrow can no longer play it well."

OilerTyler 04-30-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luuuongo (Post 49077545)
I asked that question ~2 months ago to Dallas fans.

Benn has been playing C for half of last season + all of this season.

Edit: I still remember one reply. "Benn is playing C because Morrow can no longer play it well."

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Either way, we all know that Getzlaf will be on a line with Perry and I would imagine that Burrows gets bumped down before Benn.

LateNightOilerFan 04-30-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luuuongo (Post 49077343)
John Tavares.

Tavares is really good, but he gets too much credit in making Moulson/Parenteau the players they are.

Not sure I follow, you think Moulson wasn't named because of JT?

81 pts + 69 pts, both 30+ goal scorers, for a short tourney you would think Lowe would have been looking for instant chemistry as much as possible.

BoHorvat53 04-30-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan (Post 49077711)
Not sure I follow, you think Moulson wasn't named because of JT?

81 pts + 69 pts, both 30+ goal scorers, for a short tourney you would think Lowe would have been looking for instant chemistry as much as possible.

Yeah, I worded it badly, but you pretty much got it.

It is often thought as Moulson/Parenteau only produced those numbers because of JT. Playing with JT certainly does benefit them but a lot of people, and I agree that they're actually good players and aren't lone products of Tavares.

Edit: And there are much bigger names TC could add instead of adding the Moulson/PAP to play with JT.

s7ark 04-30-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I (Post 49070939)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ruutu+peters+bite

I'm sure you can find the rest yourself with the slightest amount of effort.

Thanks, I was unaware of those incidents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soichiro (Post 49071099)
I don't understand the comment I bolded. Although I disagree, I can sort of see Burrows's detractors arguing that he might be a black eye on Canada's image due to his antics which include yapping, diving and biting, but you are insinuating that he's the type of player who goes out there to hurt guys and I don't think there is much in the way of evidence to that accusation. Perhaps you're thinking of another former QMJHL player?

I was thinking of when he crosschecked Brisebois in the face rather than get hit a few years ago. But to be fair I can't think of too many more semi dangerous plays from him, so I'll retract that statement.

And I am helping in taking this thread off topic so I will drop it. I'll just silently not cheer Burrows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luuuongo (Post 49077111)
#WHC Canada practice lines: Burrows - Benn - Perry; Purcell - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle; Skinner - Tavares - Sharp; Kane - O'Reilly - Ladd

Read it as you will, Burrows could be on the top line.

Thanks for the info. Interesting lines. I know it's just my Oiler bias but I'd prefer Kane with RNH and Ebs. But then I didn't pay very much attention to Purcell this season so that could just be my ignorance too.

nucks88 04-30-2012 08:01 PM

You're right why would you want a winger who had 52 points and was a + 24 ? Definitely drop him to the 4th line or "Black Aces".

LateNightOilerFan 04-30-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luuuongo (Post 49078001)
Yeah, I worded it badly, but you pretty much got it.

It is often thought as Moulson/Parenteau only produced those numbers because of JT. Playing with JT certainly does benefit them but a lot of people, and I agree that they're actually good players and aren't lone products of Tavares.

Edit: And there are much bigger names TC could add instead of adding the Moulson/PAP to play with JT.

I hear you, and refreshing to hear they are good players in their own right. PAP is a non-factor for this tourney though since he sprained his ankle near the end of the season.

Re MM/JT - I find from watching them they feed off each other, so I would put more value on the chemistry. Plus the bigger names don't often attend. If MM wasn't asked it's a bit of a snub, 3 consecutive 30+ goal seasons and all.

Oh well, it's a pretty strong roster overall, looking forward to the start.

therealdeal 04-30-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks88 (Post 49078595)
You're right why would you want a winger who had 52 points and was a + 24 ? Definitely drop him to the 4th line or "Black Aces".

Most of the times the shutdown lines get a lot of ice time simply because they play the other teams top lines quite often when we get a match-up option. That line could be really very effective. Granted I didn't get to watch him much, but I've heard O'Reilly was great for the Avs.

LiquidSnake* 04-30-2012 08:17 PM

Burr could provide some solid jam on that line but I doubt they split Getz and Perry.

I would personally like to see a line of burr - Benn - Sharp

nucks88 04-30-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidSnake (Post 49079643)
Burr could provide some solid jam on that line but I doubt they split Getz and Perry.

I would personally like to see a line of burr - Benn - Sharp

That's what I was thinking as well-solid responsible line-especially on the big ice.

UsernameWasTaken 04-30-2012 09:22 PM

I'm still stunned they invited Burrows. I guess we should just be grateful they didn't invite Luongo or Bieksa.

I'm surprised Seabrook isn't on the team. I don't know what the story behind that is.

nucks88 04-30-2012 09:26 PM

To be honest a healthy Bieksa would be an upgrade on some of the D on the team !

jdgrozda 04-30-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks88 (Post 49078595)
You're right why would you want a winger who had 52 points and was a + 24 ? Definitely drop him to the 4th line or "Black Aces".

Like so many people have stated it's less about the talent he'll bring and more about the dangerous and horrific antics that you know Burrows will pull. Sure he's never been suspended or done anything more than be an overall pest, but my fear is that he is going to go out there and KILL someone else...possibly one of his own teammates. ON PURPOSE. And then Canada will NEVER, EVER get invited back to the tournament again. No more Worlds, no more Olympics, the country will probably fall apart, and it will ALL be Burrows fault :cry::cry::cry:

OilerTyler 04-30-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks88 (Post 49078595)
You're right why would you want a winger who had 52 points and was a + 24 ? Definitely drop him to the 4th line or "Black Aces".

If anything, his high plus/minus should be a reason why he plays in the bottom six. It's supposed to be a measurement of defensive ability (although it really isn't). With the top end offensive talent that Canada has, he should definitely play in a defensive role in the bottom six.

52 points isn't all that impressive on this team. We have 6 wingers who put up more points than Burrows this season.

nucks88 04-30-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerTyler (Post 49088873)
If anything, his high plus/minus should be a reason why he plays in the bottom six. It's supposed to be a measurement of defensive ability (although it really isn't). With the top end offensive talent that Canada has, he should definitely play in a defensive role in the bottom six.

52 points isn't all that impressive on this team. We have 6 wingers who put up more points than Burrows this season.

In a short tournament plus minus is a huge stat- one bad shift could cost a game!

Taelin 04-30-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 49087095)
I'm still stunned they invited Burrows. I guess we should just be grateful they didn't invite Luongo or Bieksa.

I'm surprised Seabrook isn't on the team. I don't know what the story behind that is.

Shouldn't have invited him to the Olympics either. :sarcasm: Would have won the Gold...wait.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.