HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Next Year's Free Agents (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1181565)

briererocks 05-01-2012 09:35 AM

Next Year's Free Agents

I just looked and the free agents next year are insane: Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Perry, Sutter etc.. I expect most FAs to resign, but many of them could be traded during the regular reason if they cannot be resign before the end of the seasoin.

Getting ahead of myself.

Let's beat the devils. Let's go Flyers.

Philadelphia Ducks 05-01-2012 11:42 AM

I'd sell some body parts to have Perry on this team. But I really don't see how we'll have the cap space for him after signing Suter in the offseason ;).

Prongo 05-01-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks (Post 49107095)
I'd sell some body parts to have Perry on this team. But I really don't see how we'll have the cap space for him after signing Suter in the offseason ;).

And then Weber next offseason. I wouldn't mind if the Flyers held off on Suter if they are sure Weber will hit the open market. It would be amazing to get that guy on our team. Weber's shot from the back end would make our PP absolutely insane. But again just a pipe dream, because we all know(Canuck fans) that he wants to play closer to home.:shakehead

kammy 05-01-2012 12:18 PM

thoughts on mid-price-range guys like...
Jiri Hudler, Milan Hejduk, Paul Gaustad, David Moss, P.A. Parenteau, Fabian Brunnstrom
Barret Jackman(d), Jason Garrison(d)
Jonas Gustavsson (g)

Prongo 05-01-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kammy (Post 49108381)
Jiri Hudler, Milan Hejduk, Paul Gaustad, David Moss, P.A. Parenteau, Fabian Brunnstrom
Jonas Gustavsson (g)

Forwards are really not a need.

Jackman I would love, and Garrison not so much.

Gustavsson is not a need. Bob will probably be here next year.

Gaustad is a good 4th line center but he will cost too much probably

GoneFullHextall 05-01-2012 12:56 PM

Flyers will be spending money on defense this offseason. Still not convinced we wont bring back Carle.
I dont want Jackman. Garrison is probably going to get 5 million at least. After that who could we realisticlly get? People need to step back from Weber and Suter.
Up front you know the Flyers will make a change or 2. They usually dont sit back and say "we're good".
So long as we can have a lineup that can roll 4 lines ill be happy.

DoctrSteveBrule 05-01-2012 01:56 PM

fyi malkin is not a FA next year

TheLegendkiller 05-01-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Jonas Gustavsson (g)

Maybe these two.

Four Boilermakers 05-01-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Jonas Gustavsson (g)

Hudler: Doesn't fill a need. He's good, but he's also rather soft - probably not a Laviolette player. I think he'll stay in Detroit. He's found a good niche there.

Hejduk: He might retire in the off-season. If not, he'll stay with the Avs as he's done his entire career. He's the captain, after all.

Gaustad: He'd be a nice piece, but I expect a lot of teams to be interested. It would be nice to move Couturier off the 4th line sooner rather than later and get a defensively responsible 4th line center with faceoff ability like Gaustad, though.

Moss: He's too injury prone. He's solid, but doesn't provide anything Matt Read and Wayne Simmonds don't.

Parenteau: He's a nice player, but I think he'll get overpaid based upon his success this season.

Brunnstrom: Seriously? No ****ing way.

Jackman: I'd love him if we can't land Suter. He's solid. That said, I think more than a few teams will see him as their back-up plan if they can't get Suter.

Garrison: His shot is incredible. I wouldn't mind landing him. He'll probably be overpaid due to his great year tho.

Gustavsson: If we trade Bobrovsky, the Monster could be a suitable replacement.

dbr2 05-01-2012 02:58 PM

PA may turn into Leino V. 2 this offseason.

flyersfan018 05-01-2012 03:18 PM

No defensemen really interests me besides Suter.

RJ8812 05-01-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan018 (Post 49116477)
No defensemen really interests me besides Suter.

Jackman is solid, but we already have our defensive defenseman (Grossmann, Coburn, Lilja, Bourdon)

Assuming Pronger is done, Suter is really the only one I want Homer to target

Juicy Couturier* 05-01-2012 03:43 PM

I really don't want Suter for the cap hit it's going to cost. I'm not convinced he is a top 10 defenseman without Weber on the other side. Just look at Carle playing with Pronger and Coburn with Timonen a couple of years ago. They looked awesome when they were paired with them and then lost without them. Im not saying Suter will be lost without Weber for the 7m or whatever he's going to demand he better be the guy that makes his partner look better than he is, not the other way around.

phillyfanatic 05-01-2012 03:50 PM

Shea Weber is available THIS YEAR! He is an RFA, but I would gladly sign him or trade for him. I personally think you HAVE to explore that. The beauty of Homer is, you can guarantee he is going to kick those tires.

ORYX 05-01-2012 04:09 PM

What would the cost be to sign Weber to an offer sheet? Assuming he signed it in the $7-8 range?

I'm assuming thats multple firsts +

Vikke 05-01-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORYX (Post 49118677)
What would the cost be to sign Weber to an offer sheet? Assuming he signed it in the $7-8 range?

I'm assuming thats multple firsts +

Four 1sts, can't remember if there are anything else, too.

dawkins121 05-01-2012 05:55 PM

Depends on what Weber wants. Unless he tells the Preds that he'll only accept a one year deal like Parise and that he's gone the year after I think he stays.

Preds fans seem pretty confident that with the new ownership they can keep all three of Rinne, Weber and Suter. But even if they can't and lose Suter to free agency, they can definitely keep just Weber. Any offer sheet would be matched and it would take a king's ransom to trade for him (Schenn, JVR, and two firsts or something).

Clown Baby 05-01-2012 06:09 PM

The Flyers have enough forwards... and defensemen... and goaltenders. Weird for a change. Why not package a body or two to move up in the draft? Or at least upgrade another position like we have done in the past?

-----

Giroux, Hartnell, Briere, Voracek, Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Read, Talbot, Wellwood, Rinaldo, Sestito (Jagr) (Shelley) (Holmstrom) (Scrabble)

Timonen, Coburn, Grossmann, Meszaros, Gustafsson, Bourdon (Lilja) (Pronger)

Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky

Flyotes 05-01-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller (Post 49112815)
Maybe these two.

I agree with you that that is where the interest would be.

However, one will be overpaid for a 4th liner.

The other would be redundant.

Mgkibbles 05-01-2012 06:33 PM

No Jackman please. He and Carle could reminisce about how they were both carried by Chris Pronger, but he's not good.

BillDineen 05-01-2012 10:11 PM

Salvador is a decent cheaper option.

bryzgalovsky* 05-02-2012 01:07 AM

I am only excited about the number of forwards available in free agency because I hope other teams will focus on acquiring them instead of defensemen, which is the position I believe the Flyers should focus on next year and possibility the year after.

Our current offensive group (with only a few exceptions such as Briere/Jagr) will last us for the next 5 to 10 years, and looks very promising. We will always have the opportunity to improve it through the draft as well.

However, our defense is not the best and is getting old. I do not expect Pronger to return. I expect Timonen to retire, possibly before next season even ends due to all of the injuries he has sustained/played through in this year's playoffs. Matt Carle's weak clearing attempts, poor passing decisions, and tendency to freeze when confronted by aggressive forechecking are a liability that the team cannot afford. He may have many blocked shots, but I feel this is because his poor defensive play results in sustained periods in the defensive zone, necessitating shot blocking.

I do not think Kubina will be resigned either, so we may be left with a defensive corps of Coburn, Grossmann, Meszaros, Gustafsson, Bourdon, and Manning.

YuioIklo 05-02-2012 09:25 AM

I just hope our offense will stay intact. These players are incredibly young and already effective. Next year, they're gonna be even better. The defense isn't that bad, but it could improve. Timonen (considering he doesn't retire), Coburn, Grossmann, Meszaros are solid. Gus/Bourdon are NHL ready, we also have Lilja. We need one new D, but with Carle and Kubina's salaries going off, we could get something interesting (unless we sign one of them, which I strongly doubt). I don't believe Suter will land here, but we never know.

Pantokrator 05-02-2012 10:51 PM

I think I'd look into depth like Mark Eaton, or Hal Gill or Bryan Allen (did he resign?) and give the rookies/sophomores a chance. I'd like Suter, but I don't want to use up so much cap space that it becomes impossible to resign our forwards when it comes time.