HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Playoff Sticker Shock (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1181589)

ILikeItILoveIt 05-01-2012 09:39 AM

Playoff Sticker Shock

As a brief diversion from the Bridge Jumping exercise we're participating in over our 0-2 start to the 2nd Round, let me give everyone a previously undiscovered upside to our potential demise in the 2nd Round.

My regular season ticket price is $44. Round 1 tickets cost $48. Not bad, after all, it is the playoffs. Round 2 jumped to $64. Ouch. 46% increase over regular season prices. If we regain our footing and find a way to win this series, Round 3 goes to $70. 59% increase over reg season pricing. Are we having fun yet. Now lets say, Rads tells Jones, "Suck on this, Analyst Dweebe, and scores bundles of goals leading us to the Cup Finals. Round 4 is offered at the low, low price of $86. 95% increase over the never-realized-I-had-such-a-good-deal regular season. Holy sticker shock, Batman.

One of the upsides of never going too deep into the playoffs is not experiencing the realization of the cost. We're filling the barn easily for the 2nd Round. I assume we'll all dig deep as the Preds progress deeper but this is not an insignificant hit to the pillow case of cash I keep under my bed.

So, I'll be there screaming Wednesday night. In fact, I plan to scream 46% louder, rag the refs 46% more, and stay in my seat between periods to get 46% more entertainment from whomever the bigger star is singing on the band stage.

If we ultimately fall to the Yotes, I will be emotionally down, followed by a few days of staying away from all that is hockey, followed by realizing the consolation prize is saving 100% of my money going forward.

1 mississippi .... 2 mississippi .... 3 mississippi .... here comes the first response from a purist who's lived in bigger markets saying this is what major sports is all about and if you bumpkins in Nashville can't pony up the scratch, you don't belong in the league.

For the record, I lived and attending sports in the mecca of bigger markets (NY) for mucho years so don't lay the elitist guilt trip on me about "the-way-it-is". I get it and you are right.

It just happened to surprise me when I realized the escalation yesterday. Welcome to Big Leagues and I'm proud of our fan base that still is propped up by a majority of non-corp buyers.

Go Preds!!!! (i think?)

codeyh 05-01-2012 10:39 AM

I sit in the cheapest seats in the arena.

My Cup Finals tickets would be $30. That's it. I'm more than okay with that :)

kypredsfan 05-01-2012 11:05 AM

Also, I got an email today with FREE tickets to the Gang of Outlaws tour at Bridgestone Arena for being a sth for the Preds. :laugh: So I paid my $11 worth of fees and have put them on craigslist. :)

jlsg 05-01-2012 11:11 AM

I also got the tickets for Gang of Outlaws but fully intend on attending. I'm a big ZZ fan and plan on exposing my son to a full dose of ZZ Top. He should be recovered from Van Halen by then...

adsfan 05-01-2012 06:17 PM

I like minor league hockey better. Admirals tickets were $10 for the first round, unless you are a STH, like me. If you paid 50% toward ST renewal, the first round games were free!

Riptide 05-01-2012 07:11 PM

I remember being happy to get a ticket to a Canucks/Sabres reg game in Vancouver, game day single seat ticket for $45 (usually 80+). In the nose bleeds in Toronto I paid ~75 a ticket. Around 250/300 for row 10 lower bowl.

Enjoy the cheap entertainment and the fact that your team (for now) is still playing. I wish em the best!!

29dryden29 05-01-2012 07:37 PM

Try paying 100 for upper level playoff tickets in round 1 in MTL

kypredsfan 05-01-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29dryden29 (Post 49129977)
Try paying 100 for upper level playoff tickets in round 1 in MTL

round 1 tickets vs detroit were going for that. ;)

PhoneGuy 05-02-2012 09:17 AM

My wife and I sit in the lower bowl. :amazed:

worstfaceoffmanever 05-02-2012 09:34 AM

$86 a game for the Stanley Cup Finals?

I'd take that with a smile on my face.

sighthndlady 05-02-2012 09:38 AM

Mine are very reasonable: Round 1 $30, Round 2 $40, Round 3 $45, Finals $50. I'll pay that in a heartbeat - please, please, please make me have to pay it!

BigFatCat999 05-02-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 49150829)
$86 a game for the Stanley Cup Finals?

I'd take that with a smile on my face.

Agreed. I know Toronto fans pay more for an average game.

29dryden29 05-02-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 49154095)
Agreed. I know Toronto fans pay more for an average game.

So do HABS fans and then each round ticket prices double. Or damn near double.

codeman00 05-04-2012 08:16 AM

It really does amaze me how much playoff tickets do cost. Last year, I played "stubhub roullette" for every game and ended up doing pretty well...but keep in mind our opponents were from out west...not Detroit or Chicago. Although it was frustrating sometimes to get stuck behind a railing or pay more than I wanted for tickets that were leftover, etc. This year, my wife and I ended up buying a pair of playoff tickets for all games through a friend of mine that is a season ticket holder. It paid off well for the first round against Detroit! I totally agree that the cost of moving on through the playoffs is a bittersweet pill. I love the Preds and have a blast at every game.... but the cost of tickets is pretty outrageous for normal people. I just saw the pricing for Rounds 3 and 4 and again....and those prices are very "unreasonable" in my opinion. I'm going all the way for the team this year but I will think long and hard about doing this next year....its just A LOT of money!

I guess many of the big cities have ticket holders that are mostly corporate. It doesn't seem like that in Smashville. I do know of some corporate seats but a lot of them seem to just regular everyday people. But so far, the arena has been filled for all of the playoff games....I guess it makes me feel better to know that there are 17,000 other people out there that are just as crazy as I am!

101st_fan 05-04-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29dryden29 (Post 49164035)
So do HABS fans and then each round ticket prices double. Or damn near double.

The Habs and Leafs minimize that issue by missing the playoffs.

kypredsfan 05-04-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 49254275)

lol I laughed a little.

SoupNazi 05-04-2012 10:17 AM

Upper Level tickets in Detroit, three years ago, were $75 for the first round.

I'd gladly pay $86 for the SCF.

SavageSteve 05-04-2012 10:32 AM

Here are the prices in the e-mail I got from the Preds.
http://media1.mm.ticketmaster.com/na...ICING_GRID.GIF

I'm on a half-season pack and will pay $31 for Western Conference Finals and $33 a game for the Cup Finals... I'm good with that! It's one of the reasons why I sit on the perch just down from codeyh!! That said, on Ticketmaster, prices are much higher and provides a benefit to being a season ticket holder to all of those fence-sitters out there in Smashville!

Drake744 05-04-2012 02:03 PM

I think Nashville is too young of a professional sports market to be used to the prices of big games. And I don't mean big as in the first playoff game or a Saturday night game vs. Detroit. While the OP stated he was from, or accustomed to, games in New York, the huge majority of people in this market don't have that perspective. It comes with time and realization that it's just part of pro sports. And it's an issue many cities would love to have.

And yeah there were a lot of upper level tickets on StubHub during the Wings series for over $90

FlexinMyPeks 05-04-2012 03:35 PM

There were lower levels going for $30 for game 3. After the win, it looks like they have a few in the 70-80 range.

29dryden29 05-04-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 49254275)

Thank god they did this year I am back in school and can't imagine not going so it saves me shelling out big bucks to travel to MTL to see them.