HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   *OFFICIAL* Belleville Bulls 2012-13 Season Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1181683)

BrianA 05-01-2012 12:35 PM

*OFFICIAL* Belleville Bulls 2012-13 Season Thread

Another year of hoping Burnetts rebuilding process finally moves forward.Hope lives eternal but reality will set in before December.The talent would appear to be there but the results are not.
The team needs goals and a working PP would be the first step.Burnett needs to change his PP and stop setting up on the outside and instead go to the net for dirty goals.
They cannot expect Malcolm to carry the team again.
Burnett needs to take the shackles of the team and allow for creativity and offensive gambles.The kids appeared to have no confidence in the offensive zone,they are to worried about getting back to the trap scheme even on the PP.

ImaBullsfan 05-01-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianA (Post 49111669)
Another year of hoping Burnetts rebuilding process finally moves forward.Hope lives eternal but reality will set in before December.The talent would appear to be there but the results are not.
The team needs goals and a working PP would be the first step.Burnett needs to change his PP and stop setting up on the outside and instead go to the net for dirty goals.
They cannot expect Malcolm to carry the team again.
Burnett needs to take the shackles of the team and allow for creativity and offensive gambles.The kids appeared to have no confidence in the offensive zone,they are to worried about getting back to the trap scheme even on the PP.

Totally agree BrianA, i think the team has lact that elite playmaker, someone who runs the pp the right way, Silas just in my eyes, has lost that confidence he had back in his rookie season. Wouldn't be surprised if Silas comes back for his OA season, then gets traded.

ImaBullsfan 05-01-2012 07:57 PM

Bulls rookie camp opens this friday, 10 free agents and 26 drafted players will report. It'll be interesting how the kids will adapt to the big ice. Excited to see Niki Petti strut his stuff and Chad Heffernan with his aggressivness.

BrianA 05-02-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan (Post 49131331)
Bulls rookie camp opens this friday, 10 free agents and 26 drafted players will report. It'll be interesting how the kids will adapt to the big ice. Excited to see Niki Petti strut his stuff and Chad Heffernan with his aggressivness.

Except they are practising on 1 of the new rinks.???
If Burnett allows Lemmon to play his game and be hard on the forecheck and not laying back in the trap,I expect big things from him.That could be said about more than a few of the Bulls.When Lemmon was free to play his game briefly last year ,he was a punishing forechecker.The trap is boring for the fans and slows the players developement. It resulted in nothing but a rapid 1st round exit.
This was after Burnett said his team would not play the trap.??????

ImaBullsfan 05-02-2012 07:07 PM

Just read on the bulls website, the camp roster has changed since two days ago. A few players must have backed out for some reason or another. Two guys that i was hoping to see were Tyler Smokler and Joe Wesgarth:(

JSavoire 05-03-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianA (Post 49146671)
Except they are practising on 1 of the new rinks.???
If Burnett allows Lemmon to play his game and be hard on the forecheck and not laying back in the trap,I expect big things from him.That could be said about more than a few of the Bulls.When Lemmon was free to play his game briefly last year ,he was a punishing forechecker.The trap is boring for the fans and slows the players developement. It resulted in nothing but a rapid 1st round exit.
This was after Burnett said his team would not play the trap.??????

It would be hard to see what Lemmon could really do if he can't play his game. Not to mention others that are now signed to this team like Berisha and even a Jordan Subban who have creative or offensive skills that could benefit from a system that allows a more open style. George did promise more open style hockey as the dreaded trap on a big sheet of ice is not the type of hockey most fans enjoy. This has been the bane of the Majors or even the Battalion as well. Some coaches like a very defensive posture throughout the game whereas I think a 2-1-2 is seriously exciting style if you have the skaters for it.

ImaBullsfan 05-04-2012 09:04 PM

I attended day 1 of the rookie camp here are some quick thoughts, Lemmon was totally invisable, he should've been one of the better players imo, J.Subban had jump and was let loose around the net scored the hat-trick, as for the rookies, A. Berisha looked good, he made some very good moves and has speed, bad news of the day 1st rounder N. Petti and his team-mate Lemmon ran into eachother in the first period and didnot return, Crammarossa and DeSousa both are both sure to be on this years team, but the surprise of the day has to be Chad Heffernan WOW this guy has all the tools to be a big part of the bulls, hes big 6"1 175lbs, skates alot better than i expected and has surprisingly very good hands. IMO they will sign the top 4 picks for sure! Look for S. Simmonds to be the odd man out, imo i cant see them keeping a 19yr old who had 3 goals last year, taking up ice time from a rookie.

JSavoire 05-04-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan (Post 49280015)
I attended day 1 of the rookie camp here are some quick thoughts, Lemmon was totally invisable, he should've been one of the better players imo, J.Subban had jump and was let loose around the net scored the hat-trick, as for the rookies, A. Berisha looked good, he made some very good moves and has speed, bad news of the day 1st rounder N. Petti and his team-mate Lemmon ran into eachother in the first period and didnot return, Crammarossa and DeSousa both are both sure to be on this years team, but the surprise of the day has to be Chad Heffernan WOW this guy has all the tools to be a big part of the bulls, hes big 6"1 175lbs, skates alot better than i expected and has surprisingly very good hands. IMO they will sign the top 4 picks for sure! Look for S. Simmonds to be the odd man out, imo i cant see them keeping a 19yr old who had 3 goals last year, taking up ice time from a rookie.

Jordan looked good as a forward but I'll be honest some of the goals either way were ones that I'm sure the nervous rookie tenders would want back. Especially since I've seen all of them play far better over the years, but this IS an OHL Camp so the nerves prob out in full force. I would say they all settled in 2nd half which is usually the case. But no one's taking Charlie's spot in net.

Lemmon and Petti's collision was hard and you could see Petti was injured and left immediately - hopefully nothing big with U17 next week for those kids. Lemmon was skating hard but some of those skaters didn't understand 'give-and-go'. A 3 on 2 should not be a dump and chase play...! So in fairness to Lemmon, Subban and others you could see the frustration in playing with players that can't see options or are trying too hard to get noticed.

Team Black won 5-4 on a Hat Trick by Subban but lost in a shootout to Hefferman, Berisha and Morris even though Lemmon and Desousa also scored some nice shootout goals.

Now with the opening day jitters out of the way hopefully some better passes, plays and game will erupt tomorrow.

ImaBullsfan 05-05-2012 02:14 PM

The Bulls brass are CRAZY if they dont sign Chad Heffernan, he was imo the best player on the ice this weekend, he scored the nicest goal today, he split the defence fell to one knee then did a roof daddy on Lavigne WOW! Also best d-man was Daniel DeSousa, calm cool and controlled the tempo of the game. Great instincts and poise. Niki Petti who was hurt yesterday was walking around the rink with his arm in a sling, the word around the rink was bruised shoulder. One last thought one walk-on that caught my eye was defenceman Matt Dunlop, not the biggest (5"11,160lbs) but skates really well, has great hockey sense and made some nice moves.

OHLFan8771 05-05-2012 02:38 PM

How did Roland McKeown look?

JSavoire 05-05-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 (Post 49307777)
How did Roland McKeown look?

Roland McKeown who played for the Marlies Minor Midget team was drafted by Kingston. Maybe you were referring to Joe McKeown who's a 94 kid?

ImaBullsfan 05-06-2012 03:18 PM

Joe McKeown is listed at 5"11 180lbs, a 94 birth date from the Campbellford Rebels Jr. C. He was invited as a free agent. Although he didnot look out of place he has just recently signed with the Wellington Dukes.

BrianA 05-06-2012 11:15 PM

Parents and advisors are the people who make the decision to sign or not.The Bulls offer but if they can't convince that they can help advance the chances of a pro career(because educational packages are similar)then they don't sign.
If I had that decision I would search the other options very closely.Burnetts system doesn,t allow for kids to show all of their abilities.
As an example Gaunce who has size and talent would be a higher pick if he played for a team(London,Niagara,Ottawa)that played a less restrictive system.He would be 40-50 goal scorer and a top 6 pick in the draft.
Burnett appears to not have enough confidence in the kids to allow them to play a forechecking game.

Luvtowatch 05-07-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan (Post 49306181)
The Bulls brass are CRAZY if they dont sign Chad Heffernan, he was imo the best player on the ice this weekend, he scored the nicest goal today, he split the defence fell to one knee then did a roof daddy on Lavigne WOW! Also best d-man was Daniel DeSousa, calm cool and controlled the tempo of the game. Great instincts and poise. Niki Petti who was hurt yesterday was walking around the rink with his arm in a sling, the word around the rink was bruised shoulder. One last thought one walk-on that caught my eye was defenceman Matt Dunlop, not the biggest (5"11,160lbs) but skates really well, has great hockey sense and made some nice moves.

On Apr 17 I told you that you would be pleasantly surprised with your 2nd rd pick. I saw the 96 Marlies play many times last year and believe that if the coach would have let DeSousa play his game and not constantly hammer him and bench him, you wouldn't have been able to draft him where you did. He has top round talent and is a real gamer.

JSavoire 05-07-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianA (Post 49368789)
Parents and advisors are the people who make the decision to sign or not.The Bulls offer but if they can't convince that they can help advance the chances of a pro career(because educational packages are similar)then they don't sign.
If I had that decision I would search the other options very closely.Burnetts system doesn,t allow for kids to show all of their abilities.
As an example Gaunce who has size and talent would be a higher pick if he played for a team(London,Niagara,Ottawa)that played a less restrictive system.He would be 40-50 goal scorer and a top 6 pick in the draft.
Burnett appears to not have enough confidence in the kids to allow them to play a forechecking game.

You bring up some very valid points but I'm not sure how many options a kid drafted to Belleville would have. Advisors and parents can't say, "Don't report" and then ask for a trade first year unless the kid happened to go in the first round. All others would have to 'burn' a year and then hope they would be traded. If playing in the OHL is what is decided on, to me they would probably have no viable options other than a first rounder's options.

I do agree though with you that anyone scoring goals under very defensive systems would put up better numbers in an open system. Having said that the question is why bother drafting snipers if you want defensive-minded players? You would kill off a lot them that way IMO. Imagine playing Yakupov in a trapping/defensive role for the entire season? Doubt he'd go first round at all then. In the end we'll all see whether the system relaxes for this year or whether it's status quo again.

brahmabull 05-07-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianA (Post 49368789)

Or you could look at it this way, one of the things the scouts really like about Gaunce is his two way ability if he goes to a purely offencive system and does not score 40-50 goals but has not been allowed to develop his great defensive play then he may go quite a bit later in the draft.

There are two sides to every coin, while Gaunce is a good offensive player as well, he does not have the speed of some of the ohter high rated draft pics so he needs to bring something different to the table to go in a higher slot for him that is the solid defensive play he has learned and been allowed to develop under the current system.

Burnett has allowed teams to free wheel in the past when they were capable of it the 2007-2008, 2008-2009 teams were some of the highest scoring teams in the league those years.

ImaBullsfan 05-07-2012 06:45 PM

Bulls assistant GM Barclay Branch was quoted as saying that they never talked to Daniel DeSousa prior to the draft, because they were sure he would be gone by their second pick. "We were shocked and utterly surprized that Daniel was still on the board" He was one of the standouts at the rookie camp on the weekend.

NHL Fanatic 05-08-2012 02:52 AM

DeSousa and Cramarossa have received their equipment already so I expect them to finish their contracts soon if they haven't already.

ImaBullsfan 05-08-2012 12:57 PM

How many of this years draft picks can the bulls sign? IMO the first 4 players taken should be inked to OHL contracts. I'm a HUGE Chad Heffernan fan.

Luvtowatch 05-08-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan (Post 49441585)
How many of this years draft picks can the bulls sign? IMO the first 4 players taken should be inked to OHL contracts. I'm a HUGE Chad Heffernan fan.

I believe they can play 4 16yr olds.

JSavoire 05-08-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtowatch (Post 49442723)
I believe they can play 4 16yr olds.

Well as far as I understood they will be signing 2 more forwards and one D as of this moment since they already signed/carded a 95 in Berisha. But they will need 2F, 1D by August without counting D. Educated guess is easy: Petti and Cramarossa on F, and DeSousa on D. Now if the 2 players asking for trades get them then it might open a spot but George won't go with 4 16 yo players after losing 3 OA's and top guys. Would make the team too young too quick. Look for him to reel in 2 'mature' players for the ones potentially moving out.

ImaBullsfan 05-08-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSavoire (Post 49453499)
Well as far as I understood they will be signing 2 more forwards and one D as of this moment since they already signed/carded a 95 in Berisha. But they will need 2F, 1D by August without counting D. Educated guess is easy: Petti and Cramarossa on F, and DeSousa on D. Now if the 2 players asking for trades get them then it might open a spot but George won't go with 4 16 yo players after losing 3 OA's and top guys. Would make the team too young too quick. Look for him to reel in 2 'mature' players for the ones potentially moving out.

What two players asked for trades? Can u be more specific? From what i seen from Heffernan at the rookie camp, i cant see George not signing him! I guess it will be a interesting off season.

JSavoire 05-08-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan (Post 49460529)
What two players asked for trades? Can u be more specific? From what i seen from Heffernan at the rookie camp, i cant see George not signing him! I guess it will be a interesting off season.

I'm not sure at this point it would be fair to name them...give it a week or two and maybe it'll be more fair to do so at that point. As far as Hefferman is concerned it's a matter of space on the club. It would either be Cramarossa or Heff and I'm going to bet Cram. will get it over him. Heff. will work on a few things he needs to work on prob with Wellington I would hope (VERY good Jr. A team) and would get better ice and development for one year there. Next year he'll fill in more, be stronger, etc. like most kids should do. First year O boys, unless they're first rounders usually, sit and get healthied. Over all the years I've watched Bulls and George, he tends to play older players A LOT so it's not a bad thing IMO. Besides, next year you lose all the 92's and then the 97's will be paying their dues so a good situation would unfold for the kid.

JSavoire 05-08-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSavoire (Post 49473181)
I'm not sure at this point it would be fair to name them...give it a week or two and maybe it'll be more fair to do so at that point. As far as Hefferman is concerned it's a matter of space on the club. It would either be Cramarossa or Heff and I'm going to bet Cram. will get it over him. Heff. will work on a few things he needs to work on prob with Wellington I would hope (VERY good Jr. A team) and would get better ice and development for one year there. Next year he'll fill in more, be stronger, etc. like most kids should do. First year O boys, unless they're first rounders usually, sit and get healthied. Over all the years I've watched Bulls and George, he tends to play older players A LOT so it's not a bad thing IMO. Besides, next year you lose all the 92's and then the 97's will be paying their dues so a good situation would unfold for the kid.

Oh, forgot to add that sitting and not playing solid minutes as a first year player doesn't necessarily mean the young guys will deteriorate but I'm sure most of them were used to fairly big roles and minutes in M. Midget so that has to be factored in. And sometimes there are teams that aren't stacked with Vets and where some decent minutes can be had. But people still do have to roll in and out of the lineup to ensure everyone gets games in and rookies are usually the ones doing that. Hope that helps.

ImaBullsfan 05-09-2012 10:46 AM

IMO some of the older veterans know that their time is up, guys like Silas, Simmonds, Morris,Corson and Bignell. As to the couple of players that want out, it very well be Austen Brasssard? There was word going around last year that Austen wanted out then. I wouldnt be surprised at all if a bigger name is dealt in or around the June 1 trade window.