HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Is this Wayne Simmonds Jersey Racist? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1181839)

shipwreck 05-01-2012 03:49 PM

Is this Wayne Simmonds Jersey Racist?
 
IS THIS HOCKEY JERSEY RACIST?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/is-t...ur-blaze-poll/

Just stumbled upon this a few minutes ago - FYI

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 05-01-2012 03:51 PM

No, he is "the black guy" on the Flyers. Jersey is simply stating a fact.

hof2120 05-01-2012 03:54 PM

But why does he have to identify Simmonds as "The Black Guy"? He's a hockey player, just like everybody else. And a damn good one at that.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 05-01-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hof2120 (Post 49120507)
But why does he have to identify Simmonds as "The Black Guy"? He's a hockey player, just like everybody else. And a damn good one at that.

because it's kind of funny and unexpected.

also it could be a play on non-fans who might call Simmonds "the black guy" because they don't know his name

Protest 05-01-2012 03:55 PM

Is a Kyle Korver jersey that says the white guy racist?

I don't think it's racist at all.

ugiswrong 05-01-2012 03:57 PM

Showed gf, she cracked up, so no.

Breeze 44 05-01-2012 03:58 PM

probably not the most politically correct thing to do but I personally don't think it crosses the the line but I wouldn't wear it. I think Simmonds has been a great addition and a terrific team player and I call him " Night Train" when he's out there tearing up....he** maybe that's not to PC either.....

demarco16 05-01-2012 04:04 PM

To be honest no. You can make an argument stating that it is, but at that point your just stirring to create a problem. Take it as it is, keep a smile on your face and move on with your day. Surely creating a topic about this is just you just wasting your time... This topic should be closed.

ufon68 05-01-2012 04:08 PM

Calling a black guy black is not racism.

It's not exactly politically correct either.

So while i think it's kind of funny(from a european's POV anyway), if you really wanna support the player, put their name on the jersey, i'm sure Simmonds wants to be known by his name, not as the odd and nameless "black guy" on the team.

Go For It 05-01-2012 04:09 PM

Racist? No.

Stupid? Yes.

goodrev 05-01-2012 04:09 PM

I can see how it could be interpreted as racist. Being white, I could not say that it offends me, but would understand should a black person take offense. I would label it as "culturally insensitive".

I would put racist things more under the lines of something done maliciously, which this seemingly is not.

96 05-01-2012 04:12 PM

I mean, it's not exactly tasteful. I don't tend to get caught up in the "race card" game, but I don't see what the point is in calling attention to somebody's race in a situation like this where it makes no difference what color a player's skin is. Just seems pointless and stupid. I'd be embarrassed to be at a game with that guy.

Brian Boyle 05-01-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hof2120 (Post 49120507)
But why does he have to identify Simmonds as "The Black Guy"? He's a hockey player, just like everybody else. And a damn good one at that.

"The Hockey Player Who Happens to Be Black" is just too long. Otherwise I'm sure that's what he would have chosen.

hof2120 05-01-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -31- (Post 49121181)
"The Hockey Player Who Happens to Be Black" is just too long. Otherwise I'm sure that's what he would have chosen.

Damn customization character limits...

sobrien 05-01-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 49120969)
Racist? No.

Stupid? Yes.

this

funghoul 05-01-2012 04:34 PM

what a waste of money. that dudes a desperate mofo looking hard for a laugh. it actually just makes me sad. i think it's only racist tho if it said the N word above 17. The guy is black. It'd also be racist if somebody said " carter's not black, he just acts like it" i think thats racist too.

Beef Invictus 05-01-2012 04:37 PM

Thread's not closed yet, but I'm watching it very closely. Honestly, this is a hockey forum so this sort of discussion normally doesn't belong, but race issues and hockey have been a hot topic lately so I'm leaving it open for now. The moment it becomes the slightest bit unsavory, it's getting closed. If we can discuss it like adults, everything is fine.

funghoul 05-01-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 49121937)
Thread's not closed yet, but I'm watching it very closely. Honestly, this is a hockey forum so this sort of discussion normally doesn't belong, but race issues and hockey have been a hot topic lately so I'm leaving it open for now. The moment it becomes the slightest bit unsavory, it's getting closed. If we can discuss it like adults, everything is fine.

Just shut it down. It's ridiculous in the first place and there's no way with the minds on this forum this thread can go anywhere but down.

Alchemy 05-01-2012 04:42 PM

I'm black and i would proudly wear this jersey.

You know Brian Scalabrine? The only white guy that was on the Boston Celtics at the time.

Well a bunch of fans had his jersey and it was "The White Guy" on the back.

Its not offensive at all.

Simmonds is the only brotha on the team. That's a fact. I bet the guy who has this jersey is probably the biggest Simmonds fan.

ay 05-01-2012 04:45 PM

racist or not, simply not tasteful imo

Beef Invictus 05-01-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funghoul (Post 49122039)
Just shut it down. It's ridiculous in the first place and there's no way with the minds on this forum this thread can go anywhere but down.

I'm gonna give it a chance to survive in the wild first

Devastate 05-01-2012 04:54 PM

It puts a smile on my face, and half of my family is black. I think its pretty funny and obviously it wasn't intended to be malicious.

Bernie Parent 1974 05-01-2012 05:01 PM

only Simmonds can really decide. i'd bet he's say he just wants to be known as #17, or a hockey player.

RJ8812 05-01-2012 05:15 PM

he's black and it's obvious

healthyscratch 05-01-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 49121103)
I mean, it's not exactly tasteful. I don't tend to get caught up in the "race card" game, but I don't see what the point is in calling attention to somebody's race in a situation like this where it makes no difference what color a player's skin is. Just seems pointless and stupid. I'd be embarrassed to be at a game with that guy.

^^All of this. Dude is an idiot looking for attention, a shame the article gave it too him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.